Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If the bottles are crushed before going into the RVM it can't read the barcode to verify that a deposit should be repaid.

Once the bottles goes in the machine crushes it.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

In fairness, you can squish bottles for storage purposes as long as you unsquish them before feeding them into the RVMs. They don't have to be immaculate, just have readable barcodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'm a little less cynical tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭ottolwinner

What if the bottle caps are missing does that affect the deposit return?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

you dont need a receipt for the machine or anything, but since only certain cans/bottles have the speciic barcode, if you're doing a shop with multiple items i'd recommend taking one each time to try keep track of which ones you got charged.

re-turn are also over on twitter asking people to fill out forms to complain & they'll launch an investigation into these cases of of people being charged & unable to get deposit back. so might be work keeping for that too lol ifyou want to launch an offcial inquiry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

makes for interesting read if you live the bags outside the shop

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Genuine question, not trying to stir **** - how many bottles do you go through in a day/week?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I agree, storage at home would be an issue for some if you use a lot of these bottles and cans.

As far as I know, the RVR machines will puncture/crush the cans after they have been accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

This is a nice little earner from the other day, forgot to post it in this thread (i was in the other thread and had totally forgotten).

Was €8.35 in total of recyclables. important things i learned from using the machine at this high volume of inserting recyclables was:

1) how the cans are inserted matters on most RVM models i've come across, the top of the can must be facing outward towards you.

2) there is NO feature that allows you to ask for more time, it may spit out a receipt if you're not fast enough. i got about 30-40 cans in and it spit out the receipt saying 6.10 without letting me put more in. perhaps this was a time limit based thing. its not easy putting that many cans in 1 by 1 at a fast reasonable pace. i wanted to put them all in fast enough so that the machine would only need to print out 1 voucher, and thus saving paper. Because of machine being too fast to spit out the receipt, it took me 4 receipt vouchers to get the total amount.

if re-turn read boards posts they could learn alot. i doubt they're willing to change based on all the outrage caused thusfar though, only time can tell.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So it basically spat out an A4 sheet?

The environment something something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's amazing the number of boardsies all of a sudden who appear to be living in Tokyo-style apartments.

The machines crush the cans and bottles

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

i would'nt say as big as an a4 sheet but yeah pretty much over half the size of one.

and also the paper was not recycle friendly or compostable either. convenient for everyone though XD

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

Meh. Close this and bring back the Current Affairs / IMHO thread.

in all fairness, this RVM deposit return scheme IS a Current Affair. Also another fun fact is that these RVM's cannot even be accessed After Hours when the stores close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I wonder is the text a little "off". And it should say "This Machine doesn't accept this ITEM"

I presume that text was just decided upon by a human to match up to a rejection. Literally anything could be put up on the machine as a message here at this point i.e. "Not accepted, please remove"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aldi Ireland is run out of the UK and not run very well at that; its possible they literally translated what the German scheme has as reasons - and over there, specific stores do refuse specific brands cause their system is Very German.

i'm gonna try Lidl later today, got a bunch of cans to redeem. Wish me luck <3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Found a half empty bottle of coke in a lidl shopping trolley this morning so I decided to test out the RVM on the way into shop. Emptied the bottle into the waste container provided at machine and got my first 15c voucher. Can't understand why people are so wasteful. Half bottle of coke and deposit just tossed away

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do places mark the deposit separately in the receipt or is it included in the products price? I haven't come across a drink with a deposit yet (or else I've missed it).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It should be marked on the receipt. It isn't part of the price of the product.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah I guessed, during this lead in period it's tricky to keep track of what has or hasn't a deposit during a big shop so be good if it was clearly marked.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

In Lidl (only shop I have been in since this came in) the deposit is show as +xx cent on the shelf pricing. If no extra price shown, nothing is charged at till

The receipt totals the amount of deposit paid. In my receipt, just one PET bottle of Deluxe OJ at 0.25c. The label also hand the Return logo (quite a big one).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's marked on my Lidl receipt under the item. I think it might be more helpful if it also tallied the deposits paid at the end.

I'm actually warming to this scheme. I don't pay for a wheelie bin service as I'm a skin flint and think they are too expensive. My council does not provide for the free recycling of waste plastic, I have to pay them €4.50 a bag. This scheme amounts to a free way for me to responsibly dispose of some of my plastics, so should reduce my costs somewhat.

However, when I say free, that's a relative term not inclusive of any costing of my time and the inconvenience of having to do this frequently due to storage issues with uncrushed empties..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe the reason that it's preferred in After Hours is so we can all laugh and take the p**s out of the idea? For a matter of public interest it should be in Current Affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

Not sure on the reasons but there were plenty taking the p!ss out of it in Current Affairs along with some great debate. Just seems like it was a better thread with more posts. Maybe this 1 will take off the same way. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The website clearly states the deposit should appear on the receipt as a separate entry. If some retailers are marking the shelf price instead of displaying it on the receipt it's not very helpful, is it?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I personally want to clearly see the total price I'll be expected to pay at the till.. Not "add X to Y to get Z yourself and repeat W number of times as you go around the shop".

I still don't plan to participate in this time-wasting, box-ticking nonsense though.

Someone posted on the other thread that you are asked to input all the details of an "unsupported" container if it doesn't recognise the bar code - Whut?? Bad enough to expect people to be tapping codes into the site because of the incompetence in the deployment, but now they want the public to do the data updates for them as well?? And it's NOT a quango??

It would be laughable if the public weren't being fleeced (charged incorrectly, can't claim their "deposit" back, smaller multipacks and higher prices etc) for this latest scam really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So you are going to pay extra for every DRS product? Good way to punish yourself.

I am very disappointment that the Irish education system that simple multiplication and addition are too much for you. They also seem to have failed you in English as you don't understand "quango" either. It isn't a government funding it

People make mistakes hence some barcodes in some stores aren't being read as DRS or incorrectly charging it. There are 1000s of people involved so not a surprise mistakes will be made. Asking for the public to report problems as they find them seems very reasonable to me. I am sure whatever your occupation you have never maid a mistake and nobody else doing that made a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I already covered this in the CA thread. Feel free to read back, but essentially my time is far more important to me than chasing what (in my use case) is maybe 15 quid a month.

I don't have the space to be storing rubbish, I don't intend to ramble around the town with bags of rubbish looking for a machine that'll accept it, and I see no reason why my existing method (crush and dispose of at the local landfill) shouldn't continue. It's cheaper, it's quicker and it suits my situation far better.

So it'll cost me a bit more to do things I already do.. Nothing new there in this country, but if you feel like you need the warm feelz from "doing your part" and chasing a few cents each time then by all means work away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So you do want to get played by yourself! Congratulations

You are making up your own story about rambling around town. How is it cheaper? It may suit you and you may see your time as money but it is not cheaper it literally means you are paying more for a product than others

You are actively deciding to not recycle because it gives you a sense of power and rebellion just as you are complaining about people who get a fuzzy feeling about doing their part. Up to you but is nothing to feel superior about and brag on the internet about

Your lack of math skills and using words you don't understand just adds to the embarrassment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement