Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

hmm I was there last year and while the setting is nice .... Food was only average TBH

Post edited by whatever76 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Goldbergs is back open for lunch (maybe not early in the week), I met a few people there today & it was fairly quiet so guessing people don't know it's back.

Post edited by opus on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The website hasn't been updated to reflect lunch hours, and does not display a lunch menu.

They had a lunch menu up on Instagram weeks ago, and that post is deleted. I recall saying to colleagues it was quite expensive (and lacked their goujons!) I don't think I'd be out of line suggesting mains were north of €16.

And it looks like they've heard that feedback and rejigged the menu:

The prices seem exclusive of sides, though, and I can't recall if the original lunch menu was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Anastasia_

We went to the Strasbourg Goose last night and it was excellent. The food was delicious, and only €25pp for two courses, which were so big we couldn't even finish. Couldn't fault anything about the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was there last night and felt the very same.

I think Michelin only went there because he previously had a star. Seems quite common in Ireland that reviewers both Michelin and not only go to tourist spots or places that are connected somehow to stars

One of my favourite restaurants and certainly my favourite Japanese restaurant is Taikichi in Limerick so given the fawning over Ichigo in the press I was expecting Taikichi++ but in every way except wine little unheralded Taikichi blows it out of the water.

Other than that Cork was amazing and booked my next trip while still in the bar last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Went to Corriander in Ballincollig on Saturday, thought it was excellent. I braved the lamb vindaloo, serious heat! Mrs had some vegetarian Paneer dish, we both agreed it was every bit as good as Thali.

Pricey enough €20 for a curry with no sides but I'm bored of talking about prices at this stage.

Living local enough to it now, so nice to know I can get a good curry than that overrated muck the Raj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got whiting and chips from Fish on McCurtain Street yesterday.

Good chips. Generous, old school chipper portions (one f&c fed both of us). Very fresh fish. Standard price, €13.50. Mushy peas were good. But the batter was strange. It was thin and crispy which sounds good, but it was too crispy. Hard to cut with a knife. It was more like spring roll wrapper. It wasn't unpleasant but it just wasn't like fish shop batter at all.

Overall, I would return - not too greasy and really fresh fish sells it for me. I'd like to see the batter improve, though.

Brilliant, I desperately miss the Fish Wife still, sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They'd never be using sparkling water for the batter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thanks for the review, might suggest it to my F&C appreciating dad. 👍

That sounds a bit like a tempura batter.

Don't know, but I'd have thought sparkling water would make for a bubbly, light batter. It is gluten free, I believe. That might be affecting the texture.

So, to describe it again, it is thin and it is crispy but with no bubbling. Very darkly browned and hard to the point that it's hard to cut with a knife and fork. Probably better from you hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Gluten free batter is dreadful, it’s brick hard so very possibly that’s what they are using. If they are then I wouldn’t buy there.

Sounds like it might be the problem, alright. Everything else is good, though, and they do a whole lot more than battered fish. Fish was really fresh and cooked right, despite the batter, which we did eat all of even though it was a bit hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

What do they mean by "cheeky dishes"?

I don't understand that at all. We're not in Essex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

we had a fantastic lunch at Carewswood East Cork today - could not recommend it enough - in terms of food, service and setting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Four of us had an excellent meal in Route 14. The best dish was a starter of monkfish and prawn gratin. Think it can be also got as a main course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Have heard its good,must try it for brunch some day, I've read it's dog friendly so could bring the pooch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Had a meal at the Woodford last night, pre Opera House. Thought it was terrific.

One shared starter, we had the Lamb shank and the Feather blade for mains, shared desert with bottle of red for €84. the food was great and the service super

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Looks like greenes is shutting down/changing their restaurant

From Facebook:

Last night, Sunday, February 25th was our last service as Greenes Restaurant.

We feel the restaurant, in its current form, has run its course and we have made the decision to shift from a fine dining offering. Until we reopen we will be busy behind the scenes creating a new concept that we are excited about.

We have shared many happy moments with our guests over the years and have memories that will be cherished. While we do not yet have a date for a reopening, our new venture will bring a renewed sense of creativity to the space.

Gift vouchers for Greenes Restaurant will be honoured in Hotel Isaacs and Cask and in our reopened space. Our team and management want to thank all our loyal clientele over the years and the suppliers we have worked with and we look forward to welcoming you all again in due course.

- Greenes Restaurant Management

I was in the OH last night too - hope you enjoyed the concert - I sure did - I went along in memory of my Dad who was a massive Furey's fan

also, on the back of my rant about Perry St Dripsey - €4.25 for a "cup" of flat white..

a flat white is €3.60 in Carewswood.. and its a v nice establishment

Not a surprise, I was last there a few years ago found the menu dated and pretentious. Food was a bit above average too, which for fine dining isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

A refresh for greenes was definitely needed but I'm not entirely sure a whole rebrand was needed. Be interesting to see what they come up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Loved it, I'm East London originally and remember my mum buying the Fureys and Davey Arthur album in 1974...I was 10 🫣. Food in the Woodforde was the icing on the cake, service was so personal and great food great value. Will be my pre opera house venue from now on

cool

I know this is not a music forum but anyway.. loved the little stories they had with each song.. they know how to truly entertain their audience - so engaging

The Woodford sounds great - I am not a lover of the furnishing in there - a bit rickety

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hana Korean... Had their chicken tacos in MM. Delicious!

• Advertisement

My big issue with the Marina Market is that there seems to be virtually no offerings smaller than a full meal.

Surely, street food should offer this? I've, on occasion, found myself walking through mm to get somewhere and thought I'd grab a tasty snack but I couldn't find anything.

I'd like to see someone doing something like grilled skewers where you might buy 6 to make up a meal, but you can buy one or two if you like. It seems everything is portioned and priced to be a meal. Nothing small you can grab and eat from your hand for <€5. Ireland is poor for this kind of snacking, generally, bar sausage rolls from Centra!

Advertisement