Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"It brings An Posts credibility into it too."

An Post are good at their core business. Everything else they delve in is expensive & inefficient. For many years, there has been a fall off in households ignoring the licence and An Post have done feck all to chase it, despite that it's been their gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Tow

Correct. Now RTE will be paying the extra Tax (whatever about the penalties and interest), however this payment itself has to be taxed. This can add an extra +60% to the cost.

The Large Cases/Corporates Division will be no doubt be dealing with RTE. They tend to have more softly-softly approach than others, so RTE may get off the penalties and interest.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,127 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's your opinion lad, I'm entitled to mine. It's how discussion works.

Although my opinion went nowhere near a literal government TD accused him of doing yesterday.

Brendan Griffin, a Fine Gael TD, queried why RTÉ decided to pull advertising of the TV licence on channels outside its own platforms last July.

“Ultimately I made the decision for a number of reasons,” Bakhurst said.

“The main reason was because I thought that given what was emerging about RTÉ at that stage, and the constant scandal that was unfolding, I thought it would be inappropriate for us to be paying for adverts demanding people to pay the licence fee.”

Griffin was highly critical of this decision, claiming it was a deliberate attempt by the board to get rid of the licence fee and collapse revenues.

“Was this strategic? Is this part of hoping that the licence fee will ultimately fail and completely collapse and you’ll get what you were looking for,” the TD said.

Indeed. I do believe we have the highest evasion rate in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So do you go along with Deputy Griffin's take on it ,in general, that there was an ulterior motive , I go with Backhursts take on it as a management decision.

I don't see anything else pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Bakhurst was also asked about contact with former FC.

He said that O’Keefe wanted him to read out things on her behalf to the committee that she had prepared.

He wasn’t willing to do that.

Maybe he just got tired of people hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Don't think Deidre O'Keeffe will be paying back the money any time soon..

Kevin B indicated she left under the scheme and that there were "savings" made by 2 other employees leaving the department.

But that begs the question .. what savings were made to get rid of these 2 people?

I really think that there should be a fraud investigation to decide if D Forbes and D O' Keeffe concocted a scheme to allow DOK to leave with a huge severance package without complying with company policy.

It seems crazy that only 2 people were involved in the decision to give DOK the package .. and one of them seems to be DOK

Sick notes might not be so quickly accepted by the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Don't think it's redundancy be ause the position was not retired.

RTE is dead in the water. What's the point In paying a licence fee ? How many of them would be needed to pay the back tax and penalties on 450K ???

RTEis done. Toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The cheek of O'Keefe to have her solicitors contact Backhurst to have him say things on her behalf. Fair play to Backhurst in telling her to make them herself as she has an invite to the hearing. Maybe that's why he blurted out her package, he is just sick of having to deal with the crap that these cowards created. O'Keefe must have a high opinion of herself doing what she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You often hear white, middle aged men being blamed for a lot of the dodginess in this country.

I give you ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

No it won’t…..all the Politicans are jumping on this bandwagon to get their own sound bite in.

Political grand standing at its best……and it stops the questions about issues that do impact us like housing, transport etc.

If this was a former Sec General of a Department they would be trusting some process or other.

“The investigation is ongoing and we wait for all the facts before making any further comment” 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

It seems to me that RTE is in terminal decline, and is actually accelerating its own demise. It is a biblical mess, there is so much wrong with its governance, management, its laissez-faire attitude to proper HR policies, procedures and processes, that you really have to regard it as the company from Hell. I feel very sorry for the people who do a decent job - in diabolical circumstances - and try to keep going. It's got to be a demoralising place to work.

RTE is not "fixable". It's time to disassemble it, salvage the bits worth keeping, and cut the losses. Our losses, that is!

I am surprised that the ordinary people that work in there are not out on strike or having work stoppages to show how angry they are. They should be out spitting bullets at these people and the unions should be up in arms as well at the carry on but not a word from them and no one has asked them their opinion. In one of the earlier PAC meetings there was a guy there that was suppose to represent the workers, was he there yesterday?

The net result is still the same.

If what he did results in less people paying their licence fee, than the organisation will need more tax payer funding.

Maybe you are happy to pay twice for it, I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why hasn't Dee Forbes been doorstepped by an RTE journalist like what you'd see on Prime Time.

No one believes she's sick.

No,the result is not the same

One results in what is a pragmatic management decision, that most sensible people can understand

The other is some kind of conspiracy far fetched theory with alleging of ulterior motives from Backhurst.

Even by RTE standards that’s far fetched.

Car crash with Catherine Martin on RTE Radio One.

RTE executives will sleep grand once Catherine Martin is the minister.

Completely out of her depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Tow

I don't know why she is on air, she has nothing to add.

Edit: They are lining up Cusack for an exit package.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Probably told or advised that she needs to be seen, even if she does nothing, just be seen and act like you care. These Green Ministers are really not up to the job Ryan, O'Gorman and Martin are so out of their depth and FF and FG are delighted that they are just letting them hang themselves.

• Advertisement

One results in what is a pragmatic management decision

It's not pragmatic to indulge in a practice that may require a further tax payers bailout.

Repeating it constantly won't make it so either.

It was at best a weird decision, but in reality it's further evidence of continuing incompetence. Maybe the government TD is right in his assertions, he would have access to more information than both of us.

Given we have the highest evasion rate in Europe, the DG would be much better focusing his attention on how that can be improved as the current methods and massive costs associated with it are clearly not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Catherine Martin has been incredibly poor throughout this scandal. What has she actually done? What have any of the cabinet done? FFG condone fraud and corruption yet again through inaction.

Niamh Smyth has achieved 100 times more than Martin in a few hours.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I do believe she has a large drive way and electric gate.

She has been playing hide and seek for most of it. An absolutely pathetic Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Coveney must have had huge power and influence in RTE to be able to steamroll a pet project with no governance.

As director of Strategy, he must have been very useful to his brother in FG.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

You are veering off the point , my friend.

Any CE worth his/her salt would make the decision to pull specific advertising when the bad publicity arose .

That wasn’t a “weird “ decision, far from it, it was a standard pragmatic decision that management would make.

Anything else is pure supposition, and conspiracy theory stuff, and speculation.

That’s all I’m interested in……over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It seems to me that potentially Dee and Breda didn't get on too well, but to say that is strange because Dee always had an exit date of either 2021 or 2023, its a medium term job, and they had to get to 2020 before she left, are you that desperate to leave because you have animosity toward a colleague?

I think the question "Where you afraid of Dee Forbes?" was a good one because it all doesn't make sense.

This is why both Forbes and O'Keeffe need to explain themselves. (was Dee massively disliked by everyone?).

As for removing people from their positions? Yes, it is difficult, I think you'd have to pay out severance pay.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sunday World visited her house down in Glandore. Were told to **** off.

The "bad publicity" doesn't seem to be abating any time soon.

So do we just forget about the legal obligation to inform people until Kevin decides to take his head out of the sand?

And keep letting the tax payers shovel in cash for short falls this may cause?

I'd rather not.

"That’s all I’m interested in……over!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Trampas

Like all good reporters they went home because someone said so

Advertisement