Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

What I don't understand is why the lesser known tds and councillors are going along with it.

Everyone keeps saying that the boys are aiming for the big jobs, but the rest are not going to get those jobs. Are the lower level politicians not afraid that the lads at the top are going to **** off and leave them holding a party that is increasingly despised?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well it's happened before and it's happening again.

Senior politicians or the more well known ones announce that they don't intend to stand again in the next election - usually when the signs are that they and their party are in for a hiding anyway.

For trade and employment absolutely (but let's not forget that the taxation angle allows far greater profits for these companies too and access to the EU market with an English speaking workforce more aligned to their own culture).

And yes, socially we've seen some benefits of different cultures and ideas integrating with our own (where that integration actually happens), but we're still more aligned with the UK than the rest of Europe culturally.

However this all could have been achieved under the EEC without the political abdication and inference that's come out of its mutation to the EU.

In other words, like some of the other members, Ireland should have joined for sure but on our terms and exercising our opt-outs where the proposals/decisions aren't in our national interests.

There is no European identity and what heritage/history there is between the members is mostly bad or uneasy. Unlike the USA where everyone at least sees themselves as an American above all, it's a notional thing confined to the halls of the Commission. In real terms we're no more "European" than the Italians or the Germans.

Our approach should reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's the story up in NI does anyone know as regards these matters? Have they taken in Ukrainian war refugees and are they processing and housing asylum arrivals?

I believe the six counties only had about 2000 Ukrainian war refugees last year, has this grown? And what of our other guests?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

On radio one now saying it will still operate as a bar and function room. Who in their right mind will want to go in there to eat/drink with 500 males who are not allowed work and have a small allowance to use looking at them. Ridiculous carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

@Kaiser at the same time, if you went to the EU with complaints about the refugees and resultant economic and social displacement it's causing; they'd turn right around and tell you that it's entirely up to Ireland. Ireland makes her own decisions where to house these refugees, what social services they get etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Your post has nothing whatsoever to do with the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Who are the open borders posters out of interest, and in what posts do they say we should have open borders?

Agreed. We have a situation where Varadkar and co keep insisting we have "obligations" but where the EU can rightly just point right back at Ireland not exercising our opt-outs.

Both sides passing the buck to the other. The only one who loses is Ireland and it's citizens who are left to deal with the fallout.

That sounds like damage control because of the attention and coverage this particular story is getting.

It's at the same point as it was with the Irish Water mess. People have had enough and are pushing back in increasing and vocal numbers.

• Advertisement

At least I don't continue on regardless if I don't know something and freely admit it.

It takes more to stand up and admit a mistake than slyly snipe at someone behind their back for having the good grace to apologise .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

Everyone has benefitted from it, companies, employers, employees and even the unemployed. No is going to argue otherwise on that. Socially Ireland has massively benefited from it and it forced Ireland to move away from the Catholic churches iron grip on our culture.

To your early point about Irish people not knowing how the EU works or how who are Commissioners are - if Irish people are too lazy to bother finding out then that's not the EU fault. Also, we have a history of sending over MEPs who are questionable, at best, in terms of their competence and ability. More often then not it represents a protest vote of sorts.

I really understand why feel the changes from the EEC to the EU was such a significant difference. Even under the EEC there always had to be significant alignment with legislation and laws across all members.

How we have/haven't exercised our opt outs ha been solely down the the TDs Irish people have elected. That's not the EUs fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

I guess my biggest fear is that when the realisation comes, it is then that we will see a big swing to extreme politics - left or right

It will make the current far right bogeyman seem like adorable kittens in comparison.

I just don't want to see people reminiscing in 15 years time how easy we all had it when it was just Trump and Wilders we had to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe the tossers know already. Corruption at an all time high in this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

"Many people don't realise that 70 percent of legislation comes from Europe and that the Dail are only transposing what's decided"

Sean Kelly, FG, MEP in and interview in Dec 23.

He was being asked about running in Kerry but wants to stay where the action is!!! Couldn't agree more that our politicians are more concerned with been seen as good Europeans rather than governing for the people who elect them and pay them. Until that changes we're in dire straits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Exactly.

We all make mistakes but few of us are brave enough to admit it.

Credit to you.

This I wonder about.

Something @Spanish Eyes said also..

Is it that people who are looking for cheaper breaks are not indispensable but rather those people are not holidaying at home at the present tine because of high cost of living and reduced disposable income?

Maybe thats why the economic heads aren't jumping up and down about tourism?

They are as Spanish Eyes said keeping the higher end luxury market open.

However the local tourism, restaurants, bars etc rely on ordinary weekend breakers who venture out of their hotels to keep their businesses going...as @Furze99 said.

High end hotels tend to keep their customers closer to home.

The link Bloopy was replying to in that post was from the UK not Ireland.

As Blue Sky says the Irish government already buy private housing for Social /affordable housing from developers.

That exactly highlights the problem with the EU and our participation in it. I know we have little enough real control over TDs and Councillors as it is, but allowing a bloated often fractured entity like the EU to be deciding the majority of our laws is fundamentally at odds with what we expect of our national representatives.

Even if we went against the current group-think and decided: screw EU rules, we won't take in any more AS.

What can the EU do? Suspend our voting rights? We are net contributors today so we couldn't we just retaliate and not contribute?

• Advertisement

It's not even that we have to go against EU rules, we just need to exercise our already existing rights to opt out.

But yes, ultimately there's very little consequences that could be enforced on us unless we allow it. We regularly read of eastern members pushing back or just saying no and while there might be some moral outrage from some of the others, ultimately an acceptable (for both sides) settlement is reached - after all, it's supposed to be a coalition of friends and allies not a dictatorship where the economically strong members decide for the rest (even though that's exactly what happened in the financial crisis).

I'm not saying we should leave the EU (I think it'll collapse on its own for the same reasons I mentioned earlier and if/when that does happen we shouldn't be the last ones left), but we should certainly push our own interests more just as those other states do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I find your opinions on the EU very odd, I must say. In one post you say the EU decides most of our laws — which is a real can of worms statement right there — making out like the EU is an imposing overlord, the next you're telling us "oh well Hungary just says no and everything is fine" and all we have to do is emulate that. It's almost like there are two different EUs in your head, the bullying controlling one that makes us do bad stuff, and the flexible cool one that Hungary exists in.

So which is it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

There are companies buying up houses for sale in ireland to accommodate asylum seekers. They are getting vast sums of tax payers money for supplying such accommodation and these companies can outbid most Irish people looking for a home. So by default, the Irish government are taking control of huge numbers of houses and Irish will never be allowed to live in them.

It's not just EU rules. We have ratified the European Convention on Human Rights so we would he violating that as well. There are very few countries in the world who refuse to take in Asylum Seekers. Ireland taking the bold step of following North Korea's lead would certainly be a very interesting step to take.

As for the wider implications of a decision like that, one could only speculate obviously, but I do the benefits would outweigh the positives.

Remove whatever offending legislation exists from our own Statute Books. Invite a Constitutional Crisis and let the people of Ireland sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

now we no longer benefit time to leave. If the Brits, Norwegian and Swiss can survive without the EU so can we.

Would be much easier to just have an Irexit vote. Going down the path of withholding contributions etc will jut lead to removal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

I don't care one bit. North Korea isn't the only country not accepting economic migrants so is Indonesia pop. 260 million

So are you saying that the government are buying housing for refugees? Not just for general housing needs?

Or that corporations using tax loopholes are buying them up and renting them out? Confused.

Again the post that the poster I mentioned was getting upset over was one which was based in the UK not here, about UK government actually buying homes for refugee families. Secondly, baldbear mentioned in another post that UNHCR had '' recommended " this to the government.

Not that it was policy here.

Is this actually happening or are people just worrying about something happening in the UK and thinking it mught happen here?

Again I don't know.. Just asking for some clarity.

• Advertisement

Not likely as there is no method to expel a countries membership. Anyway, an Irexit vote isn't the right option here. It sets up a lopsided Ireland vs the EU confrontation, where they have all the cards. We need a method by which the EU are presented as the baddies, leveraging the AS crisis as trigger, and people around the publics of the EU, will have empathy for us.

Advertisement