Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

Your own grasp of English needs a bit of work before you start insulting other posters about theirs. "I am very disappointment that the Irish education system that simple multiplication and addition are too much for you. They also seem to have failed you in English"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Mistyping and knowing the definition of words are different. What planet are you trying to save if want to support somebody actively trying not to recycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭jj880

Ray Palmer will conclude all kinds of nonsense out of thin air like if you state any rules of this scheme you automatically agree with them. 2 weeks ago they also said Dunnes didn't need to tell anyone anything about deposits as only stupid people needed to be told. That worked out well. Complete waste of time debating with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

Oh I know! I try not to engage with the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Well that didn't happen and just exaggeration to the extent of lying.

I NEVER SAID DUNNES DIDN'T NEED TO TELL ANYONE ANYTHING ABOUT DRS!

I said only stupid people didn't understand deposit payments were not part of the spend and save program and I stand by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Your nonsense is wasted on me Ray. I'm not 12 and nor am I so thin-skinned as to be offended by a randomer on the Internet.

My choices have nothing to do with "rebellion and power" and everything with how I choose to spend my time and effort. For €10 I cam dispose of 7/8 general waste bags at the local landfill - an operation that takes about 5 minutes from arrival to departure and I have no rubbish or bins that I've no space for anyway cluttering up my home.

What I save on bin charges alone will more than cover 2/3 months of "deposits" and my time is more valuable to me than the effort I would spend claiming back 1.50/2 Euro a week - a single retail-priced 500ml of Coke would cover that.

Your complete overreaction and lashing out however suggests an insecurity that probably will only be exacerbated by trying to engage with people who disagree with you. I grant you it's a common enough thing nowadays but ultimately, as I said, wasted on me and probably most in this thread from what I see.

Enjoy your evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The only helpful thing about the deposit appearing on the receipt as a separate entry is that you will know if the item is included in the scheme and it might save you from unknowingly bringing items to the machine which will be rejected.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Used one of the micro-machines that isn't actually listed on the website (still - its been there since day 1) for the first time.

Noisy bastard compared to the big ones (probably no space for sound insulation), wouldn't want to have one near me if working in a very small convenience store. Particularly noisy on mincing up PET.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's a fair point alright, especially as it seems that some cans of the same product are being accepted, some not.

My own thoughts are that if we must go down this road then the whole charging element shouldn't have been activated until all older cans/bottles were cycled through the system and then there would be no ambuigity about whether it'll be accepted or not. The current situation is just a mess (literally as shown in some of the pictures that have been posted) and will only discourage engagement long term.

That would have lead to massive hoarding and a huge amount of refunds being given for items with no deposit.

Considering there's about 1m a day in deposits being paid in, a six month transfer period could have had over 100m worth of barcoded, valid, but no deposit cans out and about and loads of people aware that they will get something by hoarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Was in Tesco Express getting the Meal deals Sambo , crisps and a new logo Pepsi Max X2

Receipt says deposit on 2 x cans of x amount as forget what charges it said.

1 Ltr of juice added a deposit at the till not looked for logo yet.

They will be put aside for return into a different container.

Noticed by the Door plastic take back hard and soft in a new bin , assuming crisps biscuits and other stuff now diverted from landfill and cling film. I will keep that stuff aside for this bin. + they have a bin in store for older rejected cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Some people are clearly very passionate about this scheme and are not seeing the flaws others have pointed out.

I think most reasonable people will see it for what it is - a waste of their time or money, and all for no advantage to them or “the environment”. It’s punishment for all - especially those who already recycled everything possible.

This is not going to drive up our recycling rates. In fact, it will probably have the opposite effect. Plus bin charges likely now to increase because of it.

The existence of this scheme is telling us that green/blue bin recycling is not good enough.

I'm already thinking what's the point for existing recycling. If something is too much effort for me to wash out for recycling now, sorry - but it's going in the black bin. Recycing is only getting incinerated/going to landfill/going to some 3rd world county anyways.

Well, that ain't my problem. Sort this out and you have your solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Well said and I will point and several other posters have commented that bin charges have been increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Christ almighty what side of the bed did you get out this morning? OK you don't agree with someone's perspective. Get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭SteM

€1m a day in deposits being paid in!? That's seems crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's not what I said about how the price was displayed in store.

I only had one DRS item, but the receipt lists one Deposit paid @.25c and a total sum of the same amount.

I don't think Lidl would be non-compliant. However, I think their new digital price signs are very poorly designed with the bad design impacting on legibility of unit of measurement price per kg/per litre. It's tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not so crazy when you consider Re-Turn are pocketing 300k of it in unclaimed deposits.

And it's the literal law.

Chit Ching!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Considering there's about 1m a day in deposits being paid in"

What?? Where did you get this figure? If true and I kinda doubt it, it's an absolute scandal as the bulk of these will never see a RVM machine. Money for old rope. Where is Foley these days? Gone very quiet on the media, must be too busy counting the dosh and collecting the 'litter' left behind at his machines.

Given out publicly and often, considering there's 5m in scope items sold a day its going to be about that figure as soon as everything is barcoded.

Only in your wildest fantasies will return rates be below 50% (and that's me being very generous with taking 'the bulk' as 50%+1).

Your predicted, globally unique, failure is just not going to happen, you make yourself look angrier and more obsessed each time you bang the "it'll all fail" drum.

So did you misrepresent the current reality then so when you stated above "Considering there's about 1m a day in deposits being paid in....."

Was there €1m paid in deposits yesterday or any of the previous 13 days?

• Advertisement

There'll be 1m a day paid in when all in scope products are appropriately barcoded. Two weeks in and the majority of potentially in scope products I'm buying are already in scope.

This is an absolutely pointless, pedantic, Very Angry Man diversion away from the point.

You have long since gone beyond being worth interacting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Local shop here with re turn machine on cleaning and out of service anytime I look at it.

It appears the non franchise retailers are just going to make it as hard as possible to return to avoid the hassle of it.

LOL, I'm not angry one bit. In fact I'm smiling :)

I just like questioning wild assertions passed off as facts!!

Isn't that quite reasonable? You would do the same I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭con747

The cheerleaders here for the scheme some of which are either in the industry or related to it like to talk down to anyone who might question the scheme by calling them angry men so they sit well on their high horses.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Actually since there is an obligation on the retailers to accept returns if they don't have a specific exemption, does that mean if the machines are out of order they have to manually accept returns? There's no rule they must use the machines, that's just their choice to avoid staff having to deal with it.

So if the machines are out of service and you turn up with a big bag of logoed cans surely you can't be refused your refund? The retailer has an obligation to accept them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If you've bought an rVM makes no sense not to make sure its working. You are getting paid for every bottle that comes back as the retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes but how much do they get? Is it enough to cover all the hassle with people dumping non compliant stuff beside the machine, staff Costs to keep it running and clean and customer complaints and queries.

• mod

It has been determined by CA mods the topic is not a current affair. So either give over whinging or this thread can be closed as well.

• Just go away. You have nothing of substance to contribute here just ridiculous diatribes.

threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Hello guys, just got back. Went to Lidl earlier to feed the RVM a bunch of cans, and have some interesting update.

Redeemed fed the machine 2 giant bags of cans and got €11.70! sadly no camera this time, but to make up for it i do have a story/update on the whole "trash bags of recyclables being left behind" situation that most people on here were expressing concerns about.

Anyway there was a couple cans left in my bag that the machine would'nt accept, like about roughly just 10 cans give or take.

i was talking to one of the staff and inquired if there would be any plans for bins to be placed near there in the future for rejected cans/bottles. he told me he had no idea and that i can "just leave (my) bag near the machine, aslong as there's nothing leaking in the bag it should be grand so" i told him no thanks and said that i don't feel comfortable just leaving my cans behind, and i don't think other people should be doing it either. he said to me "thats not your problem so don't worry about it, we'll get around to sorting it". i left with my cans, passed by a few hours later and still seen one of the other bags someone had left there earlier.

Going by what they told me, it's their problem and we shouldnt worry about it, and should just let them deal with it? or perhaps this one worker does'nt speak for behalf of the whole store? what do you think?

After talking to some people about this it turns out they had been getting the same similar answers from other staff members too. Perhaps this is just the one particular store, or applies to all stores? still quite the puzzler.

it feels like dropping the bags off is the way to go, unless they say otherwise. or begin putting up no dumping signs. Until then its kind of assumed its allowed and all good. i guess its personal choice, until they decide to give a policy surrounding it. or a bin.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement