Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

This isn't really indicating the thread had the right idea at all. Continuously predicting a global recession for nearly two years. Doesn't look likely to happen this year. So eventually being right is more a stopped clock scenario.

Inflation dropping off is probably gonna have more positive impacts as the the year goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A good old soft landing prediction? By gar it's been a while. Should we all start buying range rover sports, property off spec in bulgaria and breakfast rolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭greyday

An escalation of the war in Ukraine spilling over in to Europe or an escalation in the Middle East could potentially greatly impact the world economy, The Magnificent 7 in the Nasdaq look to be driving the bulk of stock market gains over last couple of years and also could potentially be storing up trouble for the future, as mentioned above, the broken clock analogy will eventually be proven true with the Economy and any of the 3 above could be the catalyst with the Ukraine war spilling over into Europe being the favourite IMO at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So basically what you are saying is that if WWIII happens it'll be bad for the economy. 👍️

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,388 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I Thought war was good for business?

tis indeed, gdp would probably rise for some, and if we managed to survive it, would probably collapse into oblivion, so tis all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

the broken clock analogy will eventually be proven true

This is basically the definition of the broken clock analogy. It's not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Inflation projected to remain above 2.0% until end 2025 means the prospect of interest rate cuts is looking dimmer and dimmer.

Markets were tripping over themselves predicting rate cuts this year, or even this half. Half optimism and half desperation, but the ECB look set to stand their ground and not be swayed by market wishes.

Post edited by timmyntc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭greyday

I am giving the 3 most likely scenarios where the economy could take a major hit, There might be a 10% chance of Russian aggression spilling over in to Europe, unlikely to happen but if it did it would most certainly be bad for the World Economy outside of the Industries that typically benefit from war, We haven't seen the disruption in the Red Sea have much impact on the world economy yet so we would have to be hopeful that any escalation in the Middle East could be contained, the magnificent 7 valuations look monstrous, the impact of a market crash because of them would be monumental.

That broken clock analogy isn't something we can avoid, its how we respond to these crisis that matters most, the lessons from the last crash were instrumental in getting us through the pandemic which had the potential to be far worse than the last recession.

Don't fight the Fed Timmy. No one will drop rates before the US, if they do the currency goes through the floor making everything more expensive.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I'll have a stab at - Commercial real estate tied to shadow banking and small regional US banks with an outside chance of an oil/gas crisis.

Could also add in a mass influx of immigrants to Europe this year causing a bit of civil unrest if things are not sorted in the middle east.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭aidanodr

From - https://twitter.com/GRDecter/status/1758154250951995682

Countries officially in recession:

- U.K

- Japan

- Denmark

- Estonia

- Finland

- Luxembourg

- Moldova

- Peru

- Ireland

Who’s next? China, Germany and Canada?

Germany JUST avoided it:

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/german-economy-contracted-03-2023-stats-office-2024-01-15/

I wonder is that a fudge? .. because if Germany entered recession they would have to adhere to the kinds of rules Ireland has/had to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I have been waiting for a recession since 2018 ! I predicted money printing during covid, rising interest rates, high inflation, businesses shutting. Most of this is absorbed by high wages over 21-23 and some of it has been offset by job losses in tech. Amount of cash people have is mind boggling. Add on top of it - war in ukraine. A global event is the only way things go down south from here else this is the bottom i would say followed by 5-6 years of stagnancy. Asset prices are at peak and interest rates are at peak ! Interesting times @:)

China's GDP is 5.2% so a bit of a longshot that one.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Timing belt

do you really believe any statistic china publishes? They have shown in the past how untrustworthy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Definitely asset prices are at peak.

When you hear like me today in the office, juniors talking about looking at houses in Portloise brand new at 400k a piece, I almost spat in my tea.

Who would have thought only 6 years ago that you can sell a house in Portloise for 400k! You could have buy a house for less than 150k. Did everyone's wages gone up hundred grand more in 6 years? Insane and over inflated prices.

Living the life

• Advertisement

GDP growth according to IMF for 2024.

- Camille Paglia

The fed will drop rates this year because there is an election coming up

That junior could be more wealthy than you depending on his circumstances it’s not just wages.

As for a house for 150k 6 years ago the same house is definitely not selling for 400k today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Absolutely the juniors not wealthier at all, it is just people jumping on the same mantra we heard in 2006 buy now buy now... All lead by the help to buy from government. All inflated.

Would you spend 400k on a house in portloaise?

Living the life

Depends on the house in question and if I thought it was worth the money. As said previously if it is selling for 400k today then it definitely is not the house that was selling for 150k 6 years ago.unless serious money used to expand and upgrade it.

And for what it’s worth I don’t believe it’s the same mantra as 2006…how many people are buying off plans with the intention of flipping the house for a profit by the time it is built….totally different market today but a lot can’t see that are waiting to buy cheap and spending everyday wishing for a economic crash thinking that they are special and won’t be impacted but everyone else will and they will make a killing.

its no different to getting the timing wrong when taking a short position but rather cutting looses they keep paying the margin until they realise that even if it happened they still loose because of the cost of keeping the short open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

So... (honest question)... would now be a VERY bad time to take out a home improvement loan...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Maybe he saved lots in last 3 years ? You would be surprised with cash ppl have saved since covid.

relative just spend 400 on a house, first time buyers, saved very hard for the last few years, but they do realise their peers and younger siblings are completely screwed, as this rate of increase in prices simply isnt sustainable, and theyre not, theres a rapidly increasing number of people out there that unless something seriously changes in our housing markets, will remain in serious precariousness regarding housing indefinitely. this in turn is causing serious social unrest, which in turn is and will continue to cause serious social and political unrest, i.e. we re in deep sh1t, and we dont know what to do next in order to resolve this....

..oh and ireland isnt the only country currently experiencing this either, so get ready for serious political and social unrest over the coming years, on a very large scale.....

Advertisement