Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

80% possession and only one shot (at the 45th minute) to show for it.

Desperate stuff... both Fernández and Caicedo brutal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It sticks in the throats of those who prioritise possession first but its always HOW the ball is used that matters thats what Moyes and Hodgson understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That Chelsea chant gets a bit irritating after 10,000 repetitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

MNF always seems to underwhelm.

thats a kick in the stones for palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Dean Henderson & Joachim Andersen are 2 players that have received plaudits in the past. I thought the two of them were really poor for those 2 goals at the end. Both quick to be shouting the blame at others too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 24 Table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What does the second number mean, eg Burnley (55/-25)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement

It's the wrong week to be selling Moyes and Roy's version of football I think. Chelsea's possession football paid off last night eventually, and they're not a good side themselves

As @TitianGerm pointed out Palace are (like West Ham) bollocked with injuries both Eze and Olise out generally kills their attack entirely. Teams like Palace and West Ham dont have the depth to replace key attackers.

And despite 23% possession Palace had only one less shot than Chelsea with 77% anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

11 goals and 10 assists in league and Europe this season, will probably hit 30+ goal involvements this season, and the only way is up for him it seems. Great injury record too. England with an embarrassment of riches these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They don’t have an embarrassment of riches but this guy is a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Athletic reporting that Palace have all but decided to sack Hodgson. I don’t know what they expect from him when they don’t have their 3 best players from last season. To keep Palace in the league with Ayew as a regular starter is quite the feat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I see where Palace are going to replace Hodgson with Oliver Glasner. And then this morning's press conference was cancelled because Hodgson became ill. Hopefully it's only a smokescreen and Hodsgon isn't actually ill,and they didn't want him facing questions,if a move is imminent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So your best player walks in the summer, you sign two lads for the future.

Lost Doucoure for the season, Olise for a couple of months. Eze out at the minute and Will Hughes.

If you brought in some talent to improve the team this season I could understand blaming Hodgson but instead the club has a weaker first eleven because they didn't replace Zaha.

Probably just sick of Jordan and his BS.

Not going to ballyrag Hodgson, but there is a serious amount of talent about that club. Their academy is very productive, and they have South London pretty much to themselves, a huge catchment with a good demographic. There are some very talented attacking players there, they just need a coach that knows how to use them.

He was the wrong appointment IMHO - whatever about him doing a really short term gig, but they had no business giving him a longer contract given the type of squad they have.

• Advertisement

Can you name these young talented players?

If you are saying there is serious talent in the senior squad can you name these players too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The smartest thing for all parties was for Hodgson to walk off into the sunset after one last hurrah at righting the ship for Palace last summer.

When he stayed on this was always the most probable outcome.

Where do you think Palace should be finishing in the table? That's taking into account their injuries to this point and current squad?

They pay well enough, commonly quoted about 11th or 12th in the wage bill league table, so they should broadly follow this level.

Plenty of talent there, likes of Eze, Guiha, Olise, Marteta off the top of my head are good players, Decoure is another one, there are a few more too, along with a few more seasoned campaigners that can do a job in the EPL, along with as I say a good academy providing more raw material all the time.

Im not calling for Roy's head at all, but he's not making par at the moment, and I'd argue the club would have been better served with a more progressive coach when he was appointed full time.

I assume Guiha is supposed to Guehi?

Anyway he's out injured as is Eze and Olise. Doucoure is unlikely to play again this season. He's been out since November.

They just went through a rough patch with losses to Arsenal, Brighton and Chelsea with a win over Sheffield United in the middle of that run.

They are currently 15th but you'd expect that to improve with home games against Burnley and Fulham and away games at Everton and Forest in their next six.

Outside of Tyrick Mitchell what talented players are you talking about that have come through the youth ranks?

I said there is plenty of talent there, and they babe have a productive academy. The lads you mentioned haven't all come through the academy, but they are in the right age category and are all good players, certainly good enough to be comfortably at tip half of the table even if not at champions league level. They have done well at academy levels in recent years, and geographically are positioned very well if they continue to tap that resource well.

They have the potential to be a very exciting club, but with Jordan at the top and Roy on the sideline I feel they have maxed out. They will both take the age option every time, so will always tend to flit in and around the Relegation zone. Now and again they might reach 9th or 10th, but they are as likely to drop to 18tb or 19th, and will eventually get caught out.

• Advertisement

Unless you expect a new manager to force the injured quartet you previously mentioned to keep playing at their best as long as they have a pulse they wtf is Roy supposed to have done?

Ozoh, Rak-Sakyi, and Franca are all good potential but all are some considerable feckin distance from Doucoure, Eze and Olise.

Teams outside of the top 6 or 7 suffer much worse when injuries hit as they dont have the depth of those top sides. Brighton went downward when March/Enciso/Fati were all injured long term all at once, similar West Ham when they lost Paqueta and Antonio.

If Villa were to loose Watkins for an extended period they would start a rapid downward trajectory, would you call for Emery's head?

What lads did I mention that came through the academy?

I asked you to name the academy graduates making an impact outside of Tyreek Mitchell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

We’ve been battered with injuries all season and Emery has kept things going. That’s why people won’t be calling for his head.

Where did I say about academy players making a big impact? I said about good, talented young players, and that they have a good academy, you're mixing up the 2. They have a decent and relatively expensive squad there, they should be in the bunch chasing down the fringe European places, and/or getting good cup runs, but instead they seem happy threading water and raking in the tv money.

I happen to think that they should be doing better as a club, and that while the manager is one part of this, the owner and top management is too. They have shown little ambition. They brought in Viera but lost their nerve (perhaps rightly) and went back to the perceived safety of Roy. The aim seems to be to finish 17th and little more. Looks to me they are happy at that - I don't understand that mentality myself but there you go.

I still say there is huge potential in that club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You keep saying "Jordan" and that you are sick of his BS.

Simon Jordan sold Palace over 15 years ago. Which Jordan are you referring to?

• Advertisement

Yea, typo, Steve Parish of course. That makes all the difference to the substantive point though, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When you say you are sick of a specific persons BS that is rather a direct point to make, and implies that if that person wasn't involved then your view may very well be different.

Its not exactly the same as getting a letter in the wrong place.

if anyone is around dundrum today, the PL trophy is on display in easons. you can take pictures with it and they are giving away some sort of PL magazine.

it has the city ribbons on it so fair warning!

ETA: only runs till 12 so you have 15 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's weird, they claim to have the official Premier League Trophy here in Abu Dhabi at the Abu Dhabi City Cup?! 🤨

I mean, there is definitely a trophy here as I saw it with my own eyes...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3at4wKIBQF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

i saw the one in easons! i imagine the one in dundrum is some sort of replica

darwin scores

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Outstanding finish by Nunez. Class finish in fairness, real quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What's funny about that Nunez goal is it came from a counter attack from a Brentford set piece that shouldn't have been given as a free kick in the first place. Ref has been poor so far.

Just seen that Brentford haven't made a single foul yet, in the refs eyes! A team who are cemented in a big imposing physical style of play and all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jones off injuref.

Jota off injured.

It would be nice if there were no more injuries. Really beginning to add up.

All part of the game, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah I don't think His Excellency Khaldoon will entertain having a replica at his tournament

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How if there a yellow for the foul on Bradley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Liverpool winning but this is a good game for city and Arsenal

nunez off with injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Potentially dreadful day for Liverpool. They have so many games that they can’t afford 3 more injuries.

Great pass by Salah and a wonderful touch and finish, 0-2

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are two Trophies which are identical and include an engraved base detailing past Premier League champions.

During the season, one stays with the Premier League champions, while the other is used by the League.

The champions must return their Trophy to the Premier League at least three weeks before their final league match of the season.

This is from PL site

thats shocking defending by brentford. 3-0 via salah

Salah is back 0-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Absolutely criminal, sitting watching everything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement