Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulate chimney breast

Options
  • 16-02-2024 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Timber frame house. I have recently topped up the insulation in my living room with 50mm of insulated plasterboard. We have a fire place in the centre of the room but I didn't insulate the chimney breast which is internal to the room but I've had some damp patches on parts of the chimney breast and I'm thinking this could be a thermal bridge. Can I insulate the chimney breast with insulated plasterboard straight onto existing plaster? I've read somewhere I need to remove the old plaster first?

I will be mindful of fire regs also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's no issue with insulating over the plasterboard. But I would not be insulating over a wet patch without resolving the issues.

The chimney should have already been insulated, so should be a full thermal bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wilfshug98

I think this issue is made worse by the high moisture content in the room as the skin coat was drying.

Do you mean the chimney would have been insulated at construction stage or I should have done it along with the external walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Should have been insulated originally, back in 2000 or whenever it was built. I'm assuming its not 60 years old given it is timber frame

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wilfshug98

Yeah built in 2000, an era for high quality construction work....

Advertisement