Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 30,171 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Leo Bolger and Alfie have a lot to answer for.

Lot of dodgy memories in the area too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Like the vast majority of your posts there is no logic to this.

There is no forensic evidence whatsoever to support a frenzied struggle where the murderer is scratched.

And when you have to resort to false claims about other peoples posts it is clear you have run out of runway on your own argument. Failure to launch.

Frenzied also applies to the nature of the assault on Sophie with multiple modes of attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

Hi. Please feel free to ask me anything. I can't guarantee to be able to answer all questions but I will do my level best. Best Bridget

• Advertisement

Hi. Just wanted to take a moment to respond to your comments. Unfortunately, in a 15 minute podcast or a half page article it is impossible to cover everything.

Firstly - JP Twomey, who was the senior on the scene states in interview that the house was locked and they had no means of accessing it until they obtained the spare keys from Josie Hellen. He further reports that all the lights were off. When the forensic officers entered the house late on 23rd they also report that the lights were off.

Secondly - the block was not completely on top of the dressing gown but just catching one edge. It is possible the it was knocked over during the struggle and landed in that position. This does not change my opinion and that of blood pattern analysts that I have consulted that the block was in situ when the attack was taking place.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Bridget Chappuis

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Hi Bridget,

in your professional opinion, was the lack of forensics due to the combination of lack of scene preservation/time until Harbison arrived and it being an outdoors scene (which I believe is more difficult even in good circumstances to preserve forensics)? Rather than the lack of it being an indication of baileys innocence, which seems to be the opinion of some posters on this thread.

also the dna on boot: it’s unidentified but a partial sample I think I read? I do believe it should be fully identified even to rule out someone with legitimate reason to be at the scene (Garda, priest, forensics etc), and iirc it’s not actually blood, it’s an unknown whitish sample? Can you provide any clarity on this?

I think that the problems started very early on on the morning of 23rd Dec. You have to understand that it was 2 days before Christmas and many people, police officers amongst them, had already commenced their Christmas break. Those officers who were there had probably never had to deal with something of this magnitude. It is my understanding that there hadn't been a murder in living memory. The dedicated scenes of crime team had to come from Dublin and didn't arrive until nearly midnight and could do very little until daylight on 24th. I am sure that the first officers attending did their best but they were not equipped, either in experience or with the tools to deal with something on this scale. Added to the problem is the fact that John Harbison did not arrive from Dublin until mid morning on 24th by which time 24 hours had passed since the discovery of Sophie's body. I think the lack of forensics has very little to do with Ian Bailey's guilt or innocent as the same evidence, or lack thereof, would apply to any and all suspects.

As to the DNA on Sophie's boot, the blood spot it is associated with is pointed out by John Harbison on the post mortem photographs however it appears to only have been sampled after the 2nd post mortem in France. It is a male profile but it is not Ian Bailey's. The French scientists were unwilling to say whether the profile came from the blood or an area adjacent to it. There may be a perfectly innocent explanation but you cannot just ignore an unknown male DNA profile in any murder case. It should be checked against anyone who had legitimate access to the cottage and against other suspects and if still unidentified, and if suitable, should be searched against the relevant DNA databases. Hope this helps. Bridget

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Thanks Bridget.

One more question: Given the records for that night and the following day showed low temperatures and zero rainfall, was there likely to be any deterioration in the quality of forensic samples that could be taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Lecter8319

Hello Bridget,

Do you put any weight into the theory that a local gard or detective may have been involved.

Rumours abound locally about one in particular who didnt have the best reputation locally. Why would Sophie answer the door in the middle of the night or early morning to a stranger unless that stranger was a gard or in a local position of authority? The complete mess of a local investigation, the lack of follow up on any other leads, trying desperately to pin it on bailey, the lack of dna evidence/forensics at the scene indicating that the killer was forensically aware, removal or disposal of vital evidence (gates, logbooks, etc), sighting of a ford fiesta speeding away from the scene known to belong to a gard, the list goes on, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Was there any indication on the number of weapons used to inflict the multiple injuries. Besides the block how many others?

Weather, particularly adverse weather, is always a problem. The scene was not well preserved and numerous people were in and out during the 23rd and morning of 24th before the scene examination proper. Given that the temperature that night was below freezing a thaw would significantly impact on trace evidence.

There is a picture of a police officer driving Shirley Foster's car down the road away from the scene before 2pm on 23rd. In the process potentially destroying footprints, tyre marks and other trace evidence. Also, at that stage, anyone and everyone should be considered as a person of interest. Shirley's car is an integral part of that scene and officers had only her word, at that point, about the sequence of events. Officers did remove the rubbish sacks that she was taking to the tip but I can find not evidence that they were ever examined.

I am not pointing the finger at Alf Lyons or Shirley Foster - but they, along with numerous other people, should have been subjected to closer scrutiny in order to definitively eliminate them from the investigation.

Hi I am well aware of these rumours but have found no evidence to substantiate them. They appear to have their origin in the Garda search of Alf Lyons property in 1993. The suggestion being that Sophie was the informant and the officer you refer to was the person she was liaising with.

However I have seen the paperwork concerning this search and whilst several officers who had a role in.the murder investigation are named this particular officer does not and I can find.nothing to suggest she was even aware of his existence.

Best wishes

Bridget

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You are as well off asking your neighbors cat about the local garda theory.

Because their answers would be as valid as the answers from some 5 post poster on here calling themselves Bridget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Have you had your daily fix of "Murder at the Cottage" on the Red place today? You will find it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Mackinac

Did Shirley Foster stop her car past where Sophie was found on the lane or before?

Aye reinforces the wrongdoing - not mere incompetence - of the Guards.

They forged witness statements then initiated a cover up. They were not good faith actors in this case and it is obvious Guards who would do such things could not be trusted to have conducted a proper investigation of alternative suspects.

With regard to the weapons - this is an area of much debate and relies a lot on subjective opinion. I am not a pathologist so I can only talk in very general terms. That being said it appears there is a consensus that the large flat stone found adjacent to Sophie's body and which probably came from the nearby dry stone wall was certainly used as a weapon. The part played by the breeze block is slightly more difficult to interpret. My personal opinion, based on blood pattern analysis, is that it was already in situ at the time of the attack, possibly being used to prop open the gate (there is what appears to be a similar block by the opposite gate post and two blocks are missing from the water pumping station). I know there are suggestions as to a hatchet and a poker being used but there is no definitive evidence to support this theory. Ultimately the cause of death was given by both Harbison and the French pathologist as blunt force trauma to the head.

Bridget

That's because my name is Bridget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Mackinac

It strikes me as very odd that Sophie did not leave any Christmas gifts for the Hellens as she usually did. At the very least you’d expect a bottle of wine for the housekeeper. I wonder if some gifts left the house at the same time as the bottle of wine later found in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Bridget, you can use the “quote” function on the bottom of each post to reply to it individually. HTH

Welcome on Boards Bridget;

There's also an "ignore button".

Just click on the posters name and on the top of the new window there's a bust with an arrow and you can block that poster's "contributions".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

What's do you think about bailey volunteering his samples for analysis ?

Is it possible he believed there would be nothing found to implicate him

Or was he in a bind and it was simpler to volunteer samples than refuse

Or was he entirely innocent and was happy to volunteer samples

I have a question for @bjsc

Who are you and what information or sources do you claim to have that the rest of us don't ?

So it could be absolutely anyone then claiming to be someone else.

Or it could be the person they claim to be... so imo the benefit of the doubt applies.

• Advertisement

Hi.

I'm a retired Senior Forensic Investigator with 30 years experience. I have access to nothing that isn't in the public domain i.e the French file, documents from the 2 High Court trials in Ireland, the Internet, newspaper archives, books and documentaries. What I have always tried to do is to look at everything objectively, as I would if I was part of a murder investigation during my career.

I was in contact with Ian Bailey but that absolutely does not mean I was an apologist for him. In fact I always made it abundantly clear that if I found anything which indicated his guilt I would go straight to the authorities. For me this has always been about Sophie and the search for justice. Everything I say is backed up by original documentation and I try very hard not to speculate.

Hope this helps.

Bridget

Advertisement