Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Great news PlayStation fans! Starfield is staying on XBox.

Only four, as of now, unnamed games are coming to "other platforms" according to Phil Spencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Xbox going to bring 4 Xbox games to PS5, not Starfield or Indiana Jones.

Not going to name the games yet, but 2 games that are over a year old, service-based games to try grow those userbases, 2 other games which are smaller titles to help try build interest in sequels.

Almost definitely Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

4 unspecified games coming to non Xbox platforms, 2 live service and 2 smaller games.

These are most likely to be

Sea of Thieves

Grounded

Hi Fi Rush

Pentiment

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MS seems to have laid off their social media team. They announce that you can hear the business update on Youtube, and there's zero sign of it up there when it's supposed to be.

Anyway, Tom Warren got an interview with them. HiFi Rush, Pentiment, Sea of Thieves and Grounded all confirmed to go multiplatform. Most likely others in time.

Here's the series of articles that he's pushing out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

A whole loada nothing about 4 games getting a cross platform release!

Nice one to everyone online who was signing Xbox's obituary card!

Absolute idiots make gaming worse for everyone!

Yeah, it's basically a restatement of what they've been saying for years.

Diablo 4 on Gamepass next month though, that's probably the biggest news out of this. Signals the start of the ABK games coming to Gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Phil tried to pander to gamer outrage, Sarah Bond takes her turn and basically says xbox is going everywhere ( and actually already is) and sets out how it's good for gamers. Cross save & cross play everywhere you want to play games. PS playing nicely with that will be key.

I like her. I like Spencer too but the whole "we're listening and we hear you" and constantly pandering to social media irritates me a bit. Sarah Bond seems very articulate, presents well, understands the gamer outrage but just says look this is how things are, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

4 games initially. Their plans were quite clear thst xbox is going everywhere, they'll put it on your fridge if they can (in fact game pass already works on some fridges).

But I agree xbox's obituary is far from written .We needed to hear how xbox as a console would survive and that has been answered. Sarah Bond said they are working on the biggest technical leap in generations ever and said that xbox will be the flagship device and place to play xbox games and game pass. But can they pull it off? What if PS is the best place to play xbox games? Nice to see some competition brewing for next gen hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

MS had to do that podcast to stop all the rumours. Nothing really to share until the holiday season, hardware wise, it seems. Which is just over a month away, to Paddy's Day. 😁

Joking aside, there will be a bump in specs for GTA6, from both PS and XBox.

Also, MS will buy Palworld, but will end up facing Nintendo in the courts over that.

The talk of generational leap kinda makes it seem that the rumours of them investigating an ARM/Nvidia console might have some meat to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

4 games... for now! Seemed kinda pointless to keep all this for a big reveal kinda event and then it's exactly what was expected more or less. Could have just as easily been done with a statement imo. Meh, more games on PS is a good thing anyway, I'm more likely to play them and won't need to extend that Gamepass renewal in 2025 most likely.

New hardware has me interested. Aside from the expected Xbox DualSense they're releasing, their Pro console seems connfirmed. Will be intersted to see how games will have to fare across 3 different powered boxes. Will there come a time where a game is XSX/XSXPro only? Doubtful, but the S is the weakpoint from a next-gen perspective. They've kinda dug a hole for themselves with the S imo. Will it keep the XS name? Could it be a mid-gen new console, or just a SX with a different chip (would that technically make it a new console?).

Good to hear they have a plan anyway. Competition is exciting, but the proof is in the games, so they've a bit of work to do yet. They have 18 months to convince me to keep Gamepass! Realistically, I'll end up keeping it anyway, shur I have the console. The allure of a new console will be strong though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently the nintendo direct was delayed because of this.

Would make sense to go ARM for the CPU but I can see them sticking with AMD as they will be cheaper. Console sales are usually pretty poor profit earners for the chip manufacturers. NVidia doesn't need the business with their servers and machine learning (I refuse to call it AI because it isn't) being so big. Nintendo only got NVIDIA because they needed to do something with Tegra after shield was a flop.

However if MS are going ARM there's no way Sony is sticking with x86000 unless they want to get hammered by xbox next gen on performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush are IMO the two best Xbox first party games in a decade, so I mean it’s about as positive an outcome as we were likely to get outside of the floodgates completely opening. Neither going to be blockbuster hits, but still the best games Xbox has to to offer at the moment, honestly (and I don’t mean that as faint praise - they’re both bloody fantastic and more inventive and enjoyable than most of Sony’s first party output too).

Yeah, if they go ARM, then I could see an Xbox Handheld/Switch like device. Nvidia is definitely more of a long shot, it'd be hard to do Backward Compatibility on it, and Spencer was talking about it during that update, which was nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭McFly85

Interested to see what the console option they have for this year is. I assume it’s more of a series X digital than a pro console - would find it very unlikely they’re going to ask third party developers to support 3 SKUs, and I think I remember Phil criticising mid gen refreshes recently anyway.

Anyone who has a chance though should play hi-fi rush, it’s definitely one of the best things I’ve played this generation!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,626 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The ftc leak of the new console was basically just a smaller form and no disk drive. No indication it will be a more powerful console. Maybe it has better performance through cooling or efficiencies but I wouldn't think it Wil be a proper 3rd spec. It will just be a digital alt to the X, imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think a big boy arm processor could be a game changer. X86 is just hanging on because of backwards compatibility and Stockholm syndrome. Apple silicon shows how far ahead a more modern processor could be.

• Advertisement

In fairness, it was Internet rumours, speculation and discussion that made it into a "big reveal kinda event". We all sort of forced Xbox into it to where they had to release what little info they could (the reveal of which games theyre talking about is likely tied up in other directs/events) to calm people down, as well as reassure them Xbox is still growing and will continue with hardware etc. Maybe a blog post would have done originally, but the rumours got to a point where Spencer & Bond kind of had to actually speak out in ways videos of them and what they said could be shared and not misconstrued.

I'm happy HiFi Rush is coming to PS5. Played the first hour or so on Steamdeck and it's a game that feels like a lot of fun and has a lot of charm, and the design is great.

Though I encountered the same issue I had with Metal Hellsinger where the rhythm they want you to keep to just doesn't feel right, and once you fall out of the rhythm with one beat it's near impossible to get back into that rhythm for the rest of the encounter. Only played it earlier this week and only played an hour so was going to get back into it but might hold off for the PS5 version instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I found it’s a game where frame rate has a big impact on responsiveness. I played on PC at 144 FPS and it was buttery smooth and quite easy to get into a consistent rhythm. But trying at 60 FPS on Steam Deck I really felt the lower responsiveness and found it trickier to keep pace. Not saying that’s what happened in your case, but it was very noticeable for me, and subtly transformative for the game. In a game that’s extremely dependent on precise timing and inputs, you want all the frames you can render :)

The game runs like a dream on most hardware so no reason to think it shouldn’t run at the full 120 FPS on PS5 anyway.

Makes me feel a bit better about myself for now anyway!

At least until this evening when I play Tekken again and realise I'm old and my hands hurt from trying to move my fingers too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nvidia are going to be in the next Switch so I wouldn't be ruling them out yet. They can also add frame generation which could be a nice add for a console.

No guarantees of course, but definitely worth a go! Steam Deck felt laggy to me despite running at a nearly rock solid 60. The benefit of good art design, though: it looks very modern, but the underlying tech is straightforward and perfectly scalable and can easily max out frame rates on most modern machines.

And the rumours they are using more Tegra hardware from flop products.

I could be wrong but I don't see NVIDIA needing a console deal whereas AMD do.

Don't think that they'd turn down extra money though, but yes, I do think that MS & Nvidia to be a real long shot.

Sympathy as ever with those who’ve lost their jobs, and for anyone caught up in the ongoing psychodrama surrounding the studio.

Genuinely think Disco Elysium was a lightning in a bottle moment - given the dramatic aftermath, it just seems very unlikely that the DE magic will ever be replicated. Maybe some of the original team will make something great again in line with their creative and political philosophies, and there’s surely many talented people in ZA/UM. But yeah, it’s all a mess, and don’t see it ending well for the studio that’s been left in the aftermath.

• Advertisement

It's more the return on investment on these deals has never been great and NVIDIA is set to gain a lot more putting resources into servers. It doesn't make sense for them.

Advertisement