Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would much rather Leinster invest in Frawley as an out and out 12 and Osborne in midfield rather than looking at bringing in Kelly. He'd absolutely be a good signing for a province but Leinster already have the bodies there who are very bit as good.

I believe Kelly is IQ through his Dublin grandparents though so may not have much of an affinity to go elsewhere.

Regarding RB, he is absolutely still first choice for Leinster and has proven himself over and over again. There are few that boss the team as comfortably and effectively as he has done.

With all that said, that ability is usually honed and developed as opposed to being something guys instantly have. Harry Byrne has had more big game minutes in the last few months than he has done in at any point. I think his late involvement against Leicester (he wasn't due to start until the Thursday) really spoke to his development and he played very well in that game after a very encouraging half against LAR.

Whilst I believe that RB is the present, if Harry Byrne stays fit and involved in both the Irish and Leinster 23 in the coming months, that gap is going to close.

The fitness element is a huge question mark though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I agree, Ross clearly is out number 1, he managed to get Leinster the European final last season and also was critical to ireland winning a Grand Slam

Harry could be a better 10 but at this stage he just needs games, so far he has been unlucky this season with head knocks etc but when playing has looked a better 10 to me than Frawley could be

To me Frawley I would prefer to see at 15, number 1 because we don't really have a backup to Keenan that isn't a winger been swapped over. Number 2 I think he gives Leinster that second play maker which they have wanted since Joey

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Frawley back with Ireland, Henry Mc to start at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Our new second row starting for his current team tonight so a reason to watch :-)

• Advertisement

That "doom loop" piece from the Bel Tel is the one that was linked in the Ulster thread. I haven't seen any other articles that clarify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Kelly is definitely IQ. He played under20s here. Or he will be IQ at the start of next season at it'll be 3 years since his England cap.

But I do agree it would be a strange move for him. Lots of 12s dotted around the provinces with a comparable athletic profile to him. Although less with his age profile I guess. Not many 22 year olds here with nearly 75 senior games.

He might not be getting a look in with England but he's consistently been Leicesters first choice for 4 seasons. I don't see him being the first choice at any of the provinces.

He signed a new Leicester deal last season so he's most likely still in contract for 24/25. The Prem salary cap is returning to £6.4m in the Summer so they'll have headroom to retain players even if most clubs are losing money.

Oh yeah, I know he's IQ. I was just giving context in terms of how he is qualified i.e. through a Dublin connection. He doesn't have a dad from Limerick or something where he's going to be very interested in moving to Munster because of it or a mother from Belfast etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just on that - What are the exact rules around "qualified for another country after stand-down period"

Can you play for another country as long as you qualify "normally" for them and not via residency or do you have to be "native" as it were.

So Kelly was born in England and capped by them but qualified for Ireland 20's due to a grandparent - Is that enough for him to revert to Ireland after the stand down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Switching post standdown only applies if you qualify under (a) and (b) of 8.1 so would apply to Dan Kelly based on what others have said. You can't switch to a new country based on residency.

8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.2, a Player may only play for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team, the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team and the senior National Representative Sevens Team of the Union of the country with which the Player has a genuine, close, credible and established national link in which:

(a) the Player was born; or 

(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or

(c) the Player has completed sixty [1] consecutive months of Residence immediately preceding the time of playing; or

(d) the Player has completed ten years of cumulative Residence preceding the time of playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Osborne and Ross Byrne are back. Henry McErlean makes his debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Henry McErlean – St. Michael’s College (0)

14. Tommy O’Brien – Blackrock College (31)

13. Liam Turner – Blackrock College (23)

12. Jamie Osborne – Naas RFC (36)

11. Rob Russell – Wanderers FC / St. Michael’s College (24)

10. Ross Byrne – Old Belvedere RFC / St. Michael’s College (201)

9. Luke McGrath – Old Belvedere RFC / St. Michael’s College (151)

1. Jack Boyle – Old Wesley RFC / St Michael’s College (9)

2. Lee Barron – St. Michael’s College / Lansdowne FC (13)

3. Thomas Clarkson – Wicklow RFC / Blackrock College (33)

4. Ross Molony – Lansdowne FC / St. Michael’s College (171)

5. Jason Jenkins – St Alban’s College (29)

6. Will Connors – North Kildare RFC / Clongowes Wood College (43)

7. Scott Penny – Lansdowne FC / St. Michael’s College (64) CAPTAIN

8. Max Deegan – Wanderers FC / St. Michael’s College (105)

Replacements:

16. John McKee – Ards RFC (21)

17. Ed Byrne – Carlow RFC (98)

18. Michael Ala’alatoa – West Harbour RFC (58)

19. Brian Deeny – Wexford Wanderers RFC (16)

20. Rhys Ruddock – South Gower RFC (224)

21. Ben Murphy – Seapoint Rugby Club / Presentation College, Bray (9)

22. Sam Prendergast – Newbridge RFC / Newbridge College (10)

23. Ben Brownlee – Wanderers FC / Blackrock College (4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A spine of experience from 4 - 10 but the rest of the team a mix of young and/or inexperienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Has Ross Byrne got 201 Leinster caps already? That's some going

No but Luke McGrath has. They mixed up their caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No Milne! That is an indicator that he's leaving, imo.

Smart money suggests it yeah. Great chance for Boyle to show us that we wont miss Milne

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Is Martin maloney injured ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If he's fit and not in the 23 I'd say he's gone.

• Advertisement

I think Boyle already has tbh. Very impressed by his performances this season.

Yes and has been all year sadly. Tore his bicep after coming back from a knee injury.

Doesn't look good for his Leinster prospects

Me too. And a lot can happen in a year development with solid game time. But I think it's fair to say that Boyle isn't at Milnes level when he was fit and firing. The end of last season he was absolutely excellent.

To be expected given the 4 year age gap.

But Boyle was the highest rated underage prop since Porter for a reason. I'm sure he will come good. Big 18 months coming for him

Pretty green front row. Hope they get the job done. They've had a long break with some only playing AIL. Osborne and Ross back too, in the nick of time. The backline has some wheels and if they get good ball, they could find some gaps. Good luck to McE.

Especially with McCarthy coming up behind him.

So if Milne is leaving, does Byrne get another contract? Is Healy going to play another year?

The Benneton side is pretty decent considering they've as many players missing as Leinster. They've also a few guys on the bench who played against Ireland last weekend.

Have to hope that Leinster's strong pack and half backs see them through.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,714 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quite a strong team benneton are able to put out without their internationals.

This could be a close enough game

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭durthacht

I'm imagine Byrne isn't on a huge contract so would probably be a relatively cheap insurance policy behind Porter & Boyle regardless of whether Healy stays. I'd be sorry to see Milne leave though.

• Advertisement

Milne might be a victim of the squad age profile. Porter is only 28 and despite his (overblown) issues at the scrum, I think he's the best loose head in the world. We've an incredibly experienced backup in Healy who is still trucking along. Then there are two young guns in their early 20's looking for game time. He's third choice loose head who might be second choice at best next season, but even then only for a while.

Jack Boyle and Paddy McCarthy look to be two special prospects. They're very capable in the loose and the former already looks to be a very destructive carrier for a prop.

McCarthy has only played at u20 level and needs more time to develop physically. But he was excellent at that level as well. Leinster will want to give him every chance to succeed.

Advertisement