Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭DaithiMa

The same fate that awaits the idiotic Greens hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Following situation for last 15-20 years, from the early case of bogus AS:

Reading news story after news story about bogus AS involved in sham marriages:

More recently, some of the AS have admitted in interview with RTE that they are making bogus claims!!

I saw two cases of this. What is amazing is that even when the AS themselves admit it, some people here still believe they are genuine!!

It is some relief that at long last the Minister has admitted that the majority are making bogus claims.

We all knew this for twenty years, so the costs imposed on the taxpayers have been heavy.

Some of the other parties adopted the PD policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Also, I don't think there are anywhere near 140,000 asylum seekers or former asylum seekers in the country (outside of Ukrainians of course). Many of those would have had their asylum claims turned down or left the country anyway for other reasons (just as many 'legal' immigrants themselves would have left....people are far more mobile these days).

Yes, as we don't have exit checks, I don't think we can know for sure how many of the 140,000 are still here.

It seems to me that we need exit checks?

• Advertisement

An update today from the Secretary General of the Department of Justice, at the Public Accounts Committee.

" ....[the] Deputy General Secretary......also revealed that 857 deportation orders were made, which were carried out in just 80 cases, with gardaí putting individuals on an aircraft.

Often, a deportation order is issued after someone has failed to engage with the department.

When officers go to an address the individual is no longer there,.........., as "a very significant number" had already left the State.

........... pointed out that the deportation order remains in effect, and can be acted upon if the individual is located at a future date.

"We don't have exit checks," she said."

As we don't have exit checks, we simply don't know where the people with deportation orders are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Surely the Gardai have access to passenger lists where they can do a search for a name to see if they have boarded a flight or got on a boat out of the country. Everyone has to give their details with booking a flight or a ferry.

That "we don't have exit checks" is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

That has to be one of the weakest responses I've ever seen.

Both of those articles you shared, referring to the same report on sham marriages, have no mention of AS or any sort of IPA's whatsoever.

After that you've one case going back twenty years and these two cases you saw on RTE.

How do you get from those 3 people to 'the majority of asylum seekers'???

And O'Gorman never said most asylum seekers were bogus, he said in 2023 that 60% didn't meet the criteria.

More important things to be doing I'd say as to go around checking what law abiding people are still in the country, especially when there's little or no hope of deporting them anyway.

Nobody can contradict that it is your stated opinion.

After that, it is just an opinion, and one with no supporting evidence or argument.

So why not comment on it or give your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was debating voting no in the upcoming referendum but Mr McDowell completely made up my mind here. This referendum could open such a big can of worms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

@MegamanBoo

Out of curiosity, whats your stance on Immigration to Ireland, is there any problems that you see with the current asylum process/amount of people arriving etc...? Genuine question and obviously should you like to give your view?

Asked the same question to Goldengirl and we agreed on most points but differ on some. Think its good we can find some common-ground

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/02/15/homeless-asylum-seekers-protest-over-basic-human-right-of-accommodation/

It's paywalled - I was warned before about posting any paywalled articles.

If you manage to hear some of the stories,

"I left Pakistan because there is blasting, bombs. I crossed 15 countries expecting life will be better here, but we are in trouble here. We want to live like normal human beings."

Some of these people have traveled between 15 countries from Pakistan to Ireland and couldn't settle or claim asylum within them 15 countries. Why settle on a Island 15 countries deep to find a tent available for accommodation and complaint about it. People are sick to the stomach of this BS asylum system we're systematically allowing a asylum culture to come here and know we're a weak touch. Traveled between 15 countries without safety and accommodation? Awaiting the same posters here that will completely defend this with the emotional blackmail and name calling!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

There is nothing that will convince me that giving a hotel over to house 500 IPAs is anything about helping humanity and humility and all about profiteering and money grabbing at a huge expense to tax payers.

There are now nearly 30,000 IPAs in this country alone. What a mess.

At no other point in my life in this country did I feel that we are spiralling to a dangerous place that we will never get back from. Again, what a mess.

What utter utter traitors this government are to my family and I. I just cannot fathom how my children will live a life of quality in this country in the future.

Why would you want to reverse a place a country has got to where it was actually nice to live here to basically a struggle for anything physiological. Especially for those who have worked hard to make it the country it was.

A family friend spent 38 hours in A&E recently and eventually left when not a single minute of care was provided for them. Is that where we have ended up in this country. Yuck, just yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

No, just stating a fortress will work, it just depends on how far you are willing to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I spent a similar time in A&E a month ago. It was horrendous, completely full. They were calling 1 patient about every hour, and then calling names of people that had already left, probably due to exhaustion. Two roma couples came in, I had no idea which one of them was sick. The two men stretched themselves out on benches, fell asleep and snored away for a couple of hours and the women kept making video calls throughout the night, shouting down the phone. No-one could sleep with the noise. There were elderly people who I was feeling so sorry for and anger on their behalf, what a way to be treated after probably working and contributing all those years.

I have had chronic illnesses since 1996 and have been in and out of hospital over the years. Look, the health service was never perfect but at least I felt safe and the care was always excellent once admitted. I always had access to my GP but since covid, there is absolutely no more capacity.

I tried getting a GP for a suspected chest infection, and other problems last week. My own GP surgery was not answering the phone, I tried others in the area and several in town (Dublin) that accepts new patients - no luck. In the end, I had to use an online doctor, who told me to go to A&E...

I've said it before, the health system is crashing and as long as Leo and Co. keep the doors open to the world, our population will keep increasing and services will continue to be under severe pressure.

I don't care about international obligations, why can't the Government say no more and stand up to the EU and and co. - what's the worst that can happen. We get told off? That is already happening, who cares. We get fined? Surely any fines must be cheaper than spending millions on housing the world.

It's almost too late, we are being overtaken by the world right before our eyes and it seems there is nothing we can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

The government have really pulled a fast one managing to blame all our woes on immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Many problems in Ireland such as lack of access to hospitals, GPs and housing have been hugely exacerbated by immigration.

But people who want to avoid facing this reality seek to do so by claiming that people who acknowledge it are motivated by racism.

In reality almost no one but the worst kind of idiot blames the actual immigrants. It is the fault of people on election posters who put in place flawed immigration policies over 20 years.

Fergus O'Dowd, Louth Fine Gael TD, calls Roderic O'Gorman arrogant over the Drogheda decision on Claire Byrne.

I get the vibe there is massive concerns for the safety of that hotel locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would say the main issue has been the lack of forward planning by FG and FF, far more than anything else. One can't treat a growing population as an "aberration" or a "problem" that somehow needs to be stamped out - countries that have population growth in the West are normally ones that are doing really well. It should have been obvious to anyone for the last 10 or 15 years that the Irish population would grow (and grow quickly), both through natural means and through immigration. Treating demand as the problem and not the lack of supply is a slightly flawed way of looking at things.

Do you think one of the countries along the way should have done us a favour and taken them in?

Look at the amount of people here wanting to pass it off as someone else's problem.

Neither can I expect us to get much help or sympathy given our role as global tax leeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Remind me why we voted his [Michael McDowell] party into oblivion again?

Imagine if he was the leader of a party now and ran enough candidates - He'd be Taoiseach

• Advertisement

I think we should try to limit non essential visas for the foreseeable future.

After that I don't think there's much can be done about IPA's. The fortress approach has been proven not to work elsewhere and would be even harder to implement here with EU and UK connections.

I do think we should try and be honest with people about conditions here. It's really not as attractive here as our economy suggests.

Long term I think the only answer is to strengthen the UN, in several areas, and tackle the push factors.

And of course the biggest problem is how we've squandered the economic gains of the last decade. It's ridiculous at this point we're still in such a bad state on housing and health.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement