Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

It's a long term decision, but the main reasons were to retain cash in the business, reduce tax liability particularly in high milk price years and make it easier to pay for land purchase

Everyone has to pick some structure to farm in there are pro/cons to each one. We are happy we are in the right structure for our farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭QA1

Fdc want 5k to setup company I am considering it myself

the way I read is if you take 3 holidays and have high drawings every year as well of to stay sole trader and have alot of investment in shed and machinery but if you intend to buy land good idea for company to build up cash reserves but you have still make all this money every year farming and wars are very volatile look at trump today and his tango head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭green daries

I call myself a fooking ejeet most days for not getting a cushy number in the department of ag or someplace

You have to make money...even if its only on paper to justify the company route if your drawing a savage wage and paying for holidays out I'd a farm business your on a hiding to nothing anyway. No matter what structure you have

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I m involved in one.its just alot of people ask me about it and I m not sure they fully understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Pray tell how you create directors loans of ev⁹en a few hundred thousand tax free I be happy with that ........because there's no such f@@king thing.

Most directors loans are for existing stock and for unused depreciation on machinery or other assets. If you are generating enough profit within the company you can rapidly draw down the so called ''loans''. One thing wrong with that, is if you have substantial directors loans you will have significant assets within the company, not just stock or machinery( unless you are agri contracting) but yards and sheds unless you had significant depreciation unused somewhere or directed a loss from another trading entity into the company

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’ll be going with separate so 😂

I’ve a mix of pedigree Hol and BF-Hol so far. The pedigree Hol are savages for meal and they’re only 15-16 months. I’m giving them 1.5kg in the shed but I know by the way they go for it, they’d easily eat twice as much if they got it.

Not sure how much I’ll feed any of them in the parlour. Will play it by ear. I don’t plan on pumping them but I won’t leave them short either. I won’t really know til I’m standing in the pit

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

And the problem can be where assets such as stock are not properly accounted for they go into the company at a lower value than they are worth as otherwise you can create a significant tax liability

Slava Ukrainii

It's a bit more complicated than that. There's a rush and encouragement for dairy farmers to go the company route even where significant cash reserves will not be created. Use of pension funding will often solve the problem until children are old enough to be paid wages.

As for building cash reserved to buy land, for farmers in reality there is no savings. The use of company structure to buy land is the reason land has gone so expensive. So once again farmers have been sold a pup. The accountants , agri consultants, auctionees, solicitors all get bigger fees, the seller get away higher price, the government get more stamp duty and probably collects extra capital gains tax, and guess what the stupid farmer pays it all.

And he thinks he is winning because its within a tax free structure for capital repayments, except technically its not you pay 12.5%.

And to finally add insult to injury you do not own the f@@king land.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

unfortunately.. this post makes alot of sense... what kind of profits would a farmer want to be making to justify setting farm up as a Ltd company??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

Ltd companies weren't created for the benefit of dairy farmers, most profitable small and medium size businesses outside of agriculture are in Ltd structures. There are farms it won't suit but there are lots of dairy farms where it makes the most sense.

Land is expensive for loads of different reasons, farmers in company structures is not the main driving force.

Good man bass are we up or down on the cop your full of shite ted

Absolutely 💯 Jesus when we formed a company here many years ago friends who were sole trading were in tears with the protection it offered in business and the fact that they were locked out of it. The company structure and administrative side of things has really eased so much in the last number of years

Yes companies are used by many different entities. The main reason orginally for a company is not tax efficiencies but to protect the owner as he had limited liability except to the capital he had invested in the company.

The main reasons land is so expensive is because of longterm leasing benefits( which has now being stopped) and the use of company structures to buy farms either within or external to agricultural. And I am talking about agricultural not development land. I like to see the figures for land bought within company structures and the price paid. Because its highly unlikley that any significant purchases are not within company structures.

Slava Ukrainii

I see you are well able to debate and explain your understanding of what you are posting.

Basically you accountant told you what to do and you went along.

So again I ask you to explain how most of a million in tax free money was created, look even a few hundred K will do.

Actually if you know a way to create a few thousand in a tax free structures explain it to me.

There is no such thing as a free Lunch.

Slava Ukrainii

🤣🤣debate, bass who possibly could debate in all fairness you flogged a dead issue on here with you being ridiculed by a good few for your plucking figures out of thin air...and a few other places ...... no a debate is not something that I will be having with you . You have a few good points but you don't understand a lot of things and when people pull you up you just double down on being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭QA1

The debate on here is not great like I have my opinion and I ram it down your throat

yes for some people company is not the right thing to do but for some farms company is the right move and that’s okay too

What is wrong with directors loan of stock machinery and maybe some good will if you have a couple hundred thousand then is it not easier to build up this couple hundred in a company and use it as you will

farming is no picnic just because the accountant says you will make all the profits for ever does not mean you will not too many farmers near me buying land anyway when it was so called cheap at10k or dear now at 15 or 20

Milk supplied to co-ops was back 4% in 2023 compared to 2022. First drop in 15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Will you be back on youtube, or is there a world of abuse that comes with it, so not worth the hassle. Be interesting see you convert to dairy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Advertisement

My point was that unless you are going to have 50k++ retained profits a company is of little advantage to you.

It's relatively easy to get to 200k in directors loans, I get to over 100k that myself on 60-70 acres with a stock value of 70k and unused depreciation of 40-50k. But directors loans are not money from the magic money tree. They already exist within the system and when they are used up they are gone

Most dairy farmers with 100 cows could probably hit 250k very comfortably, but unless you are throwing substantial cash free you will not draw down directors loans any faster than using standard deprecation especially if stock values are a substantial part of the equation. However of taxation is a issue its quite possible that stock values are minimal

However you are taking reliefs that would be available when you retire. My eldest lad will probably take over some of the farm in 4-5 years time. He will buy sheds and machinery off us we can take stock values tax free and use the 750k relief to shelter the machinery and sheds. And yes you can do the same within a company, but you can do it externally as well.

As well you have employer PRSI you no longer are a soke trader you are employed by the company, yes you can rent land and building to the company. But with renting you pay a K9 prsi stamp which has no benefits. You will still have to put some income through wages ( admittedly you can keep the rate low) to qualify for OAP and other benefits

When you employ family labour as a sole trader there is significant PRSI advantages compared to a company below 5k no PRSI above 5k PRSI 4%. A company pays 8.8%.

Previous there was an additional tax advantage to being employed by a company it allowed access to the PAYE credit however the earned income credit available to sole traders balanced that out.

Slava Ukrainii

Ya definitely for last year weather and the price no one feed on extra meal in the areas that were not completely washed out and in the areas worst hit they fed silage but they didn't try chasing output because it was too expensive fella near me said he had heifers and second calvers near dry in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Would any of ye have a suggestion for a good teat spray for milking on straw?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I find virolac the best

There's very little abuse (there was only one smart alec who left a sarcastic comment on every video) but it wasn't worth the hassle either, given the time it took to record the various bits and then edit them together.

Having said that, I probably will make a few more 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You should have given him a month's suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

There is a certain value in being able to leave the money there in the company to decide what to do with it at a later date. None of us has a crystal ball to predict the future clearly and while it's always possible to manage tax as a sole trader reasonably well. Having money tied up in a pension etc and not accessible can ultimately cause similar issues as having money tied up in a company when you need it for personal use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I suppose I'd ask a different question first.what do you want to do with that money and how do you want to invest it.please forgive me if I ve got this wrong but my understanding of yewtrees operation is that he uses the company to finance development from a savings rather than a borrowing perspective in that he uses the company to warehouse cash and its there when he needs it.thats fine but that money comes at a price tag of 12.5% versus borrowing at 5 to 6 %.that's fine as compounding will bring the cost of borrowing up and there's nothing wrong with minimising borrowing .I hope I am provoking abit of contemplation and I also would like to know more about how to use the mechanism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Was talking to the accountant yesterday with FDC. He was saying what they were finding it was the lads with the Jersey cross cows had the biggest reduction. I said that wasn't the fault of the Jersey cross but more the mind set of the owner of the Jersey cross. They expect them to milk on grass and fresh air.

We were actually up 11% in supply last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Valiant base versatile d once your not supplying tirlan

Advertisement