Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Delusional perhaps but not without grounding. The Russian state is a total black box and it's impossible to predict its future with certainty sure: but it also can't be wide of the mark to speculate that this war - as wars have done with Russia before, time and time again - is gonna be the catalyst for collapse, regime change - or both. The clock is ticking here IMO. Russia is kinda pulling a Weekend at Bernie's at this stage: the state's functionally dead across a host of metrics, it's just being propped up by a cartel headed by a now proven delusional wannabe Tsar itching to reform "historical Russia". Coups happen fast, and I don't think any of us will see it coming - least of all Putin. He has definitely stamped out all opposition but he may want to keep an eye on his military bigwigs for one.

Kyiv is fighting for its life and will do so I suspect to the bitter end; pure spite and gumption has turned this 3 day war into a 2+ year one and by and large that's on the Ukrainians will to persist. Even if Russian tanks rolled into Kyiv tomorrow? They're not gonna go anywhere cos then the Guerilla war / insurgency will begin and so Russians will keep dying - albeit not quite on an industrial scale.

I always remember what the Economist defence expert said back in summer '22: neither side has the ability to win, neither side can afford to lose.

"All Ukraine has to do" is hang on long enough 'til Russia's ability to prosecute the war runs out and I'm not sure that's as crazy or far off as you might think. That assertion isn't wrong but it doesn't factor in the reality that one side has a greater will to win than the other - a will that'll extend past the capital falling. Whereas Russia? Can it just keep going and going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Let's see what happens. I don't fully share your optimism (rotten and crazy regimes can last a lot longer than people think, plenty of recent evidence for that too... Mugabe, Assad, North Korea, Iran etc etc etc) but I'll be among thr first to raise a glass the day Putin's regime ends and is hopefully replaced by something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Imagine being in your 20’s or 30’s fighting and dieing for an old dickhead who is inspired by history going back to the 9th century AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

I suspect that there won't be any great changes in the coming months. Russia will consolidate what it has and keep doing terror attacks on other Ukrainian cities, Ukraine will fight heroically to not lose anymore and score the occasional big hit on a ship or similar.

If US weapons dry up and Trump gets into power things could get worse.

That's my modest prediction. Chances of Ukraine driving Russia out this year as long as Putin is in power? Zero

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

North Korea has and will endure because it put the legwork into intentionally becoming a feudal, utterly insular state. I don't think there's a single comparable nation on earth when it comes to the Pyongyang dynasty. While the difference with your other examples is neither state put an inordinate amount of its resources into a war it cannot win, yet has already lost hundreds of thousands of lives, and as many have fled the country - in a country that was already suffering crazy demographic problems before the war started. That centre can't hold forever.

It's easy to forget but Russia was once a grubby country everyone looked the other way for, because it was the source of our gas, finances, World Cups and sundry other little tendrils that had ensured we pretended Putin was a normal world leader. They were as bad at whitewashing as the Saudis continue to be. Then he miscalculated that apathy and ordered his tanks towards Kyiv.

I'll say one thing you're way off about: ain't no chance Russia's gonna replace Putin with someone better - in fact I maintain a degree of worry it's gonna be someone worse. Dissent and legitimate political rivals are effectively dead and gone now, so what's left? It's entirely possible a smarting Russia ethno-nationalist will take over and push the country into a further antagonistic stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I don't think the three day war was a delusion at the time .... if Kiev had fallen, which was a real possibility in the initial assault it could have been over pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Where would be next big attack for Russia be if adviika falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Paddigol

One of the most on-point observations in this thread in recent days. Beautifully put.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Makes me fcuking angry. It's Western nations and particularly US Republicans had stopped acting the cnut, this could have been prevented.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont think many military people would agree, salients are areas you breakout from, the idea of fighting in one for several months is fighting at a disadvantage, now more so in an age when the battlefield is under constant surveillance, the best course now is to round out their lines and fight defensively. I believe the Ukrainians are coming around to this type of thinking.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

Sky News reports Navalny's death.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Allegedly he felt unwell after a walk and then died.

Russia really is a hopelessly corrupt and desolate place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

He signed his own death warrant by voluntarily going back to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

The poor man, knew what was going to be the end outcome. Putin is some piece of work.

Just in time for the election. Maybe we should run a wee bet on the final tally for Putin. 98% perhaps? Just for the patina of democracy n all.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

"not everyone loves allies and Churchill, Roosevelt/Truman" - said WW2 Nazi Germany loving equivalent only to change their coat the very next minute war ended and spent the rest of their lives denying any support and cheerleading. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Scar001

Wasn't Navalny supportive of the annexation of Crimea??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'd say 70-80%. The turnout % is worth watching too - although both are easily open to manipulation at the vote tabulation stage by the stooges in the various electoral bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

strange that none of the ruSSian speaking channels (antigovernmental) have confirmed this yet. Navalniy's own team have not announced it yet. Only SKY.

His legal team are on their way to investigate.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

Gorbachev supported the war in Afghanistan. Sometimes, in politics, you have to do a deal with evil to have influence for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

He appeared to shift his position on Crimea last year indicating that the 1991 borders should be recognised.

However, his views are irrelevant here. The main issue is the ruthless suppression of all meaningful opposition in Russia and violent subjugation of all dissenters, regardless of their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭briany

Navalny wasn't some flower child advocating a total cultural and political overhaul of the Russian state. AFAIK, many of his views would have aligned with Putin's or been close to them. It's just he was also critical of Putin in a few ways. That criticism plus his influence made him a marked man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

A lot of us simply don't support Russia invading another state and committing genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gw80

Strange statement,

Fair enough if you have issues with Zelenski,a person, but why would you have issues with a country?

Is it the people of the country or the actual country itself you have issues with?

Or is just the fact that it exists that causes you ire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This I reckon is it .. one could say in part Navalnys demise potentially sped up by Trumps recent Nato utterances and the like?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement