Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Balding tyres will make this noise especially when there is a turn on the reverse, I had it with my Model S, disappeared instantly after new tyres fitted

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

100% or even near new Pirelli tyres. It could be the infamous “scrubbing”. I had it on my model S and instantly gone when I swapped to Continental tyres.

I recently put Pirelli on the M3P and I’ve started to notice it too.

It was common on Porsches and mainly effects the bigger wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm looking to buy a Tesla on PCP with a trade in. On their finance page the max amount for a deposit is €22,477.

But i have a trade in as well. So can pay the full deposit + the trade in. Or trade in + the balance to the amount of €22,477.

Its not clear on their website.

Thanks,

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PCP deposit can only be a max of 30% of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

PCP is set as

Deposit + compound interest rate * (loan repayments + GFMV)

Deposit here is the equity in your existing car and or cash, and that part can only be 30% of the total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭obi604

Maybe i am going mad here, but you can get a brand new Tesla Y for 41.8k (albeit base model)

The cheapest used model Y I see on carzone is a 231 at €39,750 so about a year old. Is this used pricing a bit off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RK73

There's very few of them available yet 2nd hand, so it probably inflates existing 2nd hand prices a bit. Should drop in a year or 2.

What's more strange is that Tesla inventory shows 232 basic demo models for sale at a higher price than custom build!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Likely the used pricing hasn't accounted for the price drop on the new cars. Dealers probably bought the car in at a higher price so are still trying to shift it to recoup the costs - they'll have a hard time doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RK73

If you're getting 0% finance, then you're better off to keep the PCP deposit as low as possible. Sell the trade in elsewhere (you'll get a better price anyway) and use the funds for something else. Most efficient use would be to pay down any other existing debt, so you're saving interest. Even if you put the deposit into a fixed savings account for 3 or 4 years, you're better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

Yeah i saw that so hence looking at a new one. RK73 seems to have answered the why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

They can't use the test drive to kill off your distance selling rights (they may try) as the order occurs online not when you did the test drive. Test drive is just that - nothing to do with the actual order. As said they may try but eventually will recant. And if not 25eur for small claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

has anyone had an update past 2023.44.30.9? There has been 2 updates released to the wider customer base outside Ireland since this update but nothing here yet for me.

also adaptive headlights? Are they coming to Ireland (says new model 3 in the update release notes but some have mentioned on other sites it’s for model y in Europe!)

Also… a neighbour has the refresh model 3. Very impressed. It should be very popular.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Yes I have 2024.2.3 on model Y. From release notes:

Reminder to plug in at home and security updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Did the MY drop in price by another 2K after the big price drop in January?

Could have sworn it was 43.8k for the RWD in white in the new year price cut.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It dropped to €41,832 a few weeks ago alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I must be thinking of the non-white colours.

The RWD model dropped 4K across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

I went out to the car and the update was waiting for me. No adaptive headlights which is a shame as I’m getting tired of being flashed by cars almost every time I drive at night. I have even been on the receiving end of another Tesla and they really are bright. Probably the brightest I have come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

The problem is that the software is incorrectly calibrated. I'm amazed they've made it this far in the car's lifecycle without providing a OTA update to address the issue this side of the Atlantic. It's probably not so much of an problem in the US as most people drive huge SUV's.

You can lower the headlight beam in the service menu, usually 2 notches downwards for each side will do the trick. Take a look at RSymoms's video on the topic.

Hopefully they'll release a OTA update soon to enable matrix functionality like on M3H.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I'm considering getting a Model Y, despite some misgivings about the single screen/infotainment/lack of apple car play/AA.

I was rather shocked to discover today that Telsa have removed all parking sensors and cruise control radar from their cars now?! I presume the intention is that the parking alerts and adaptive cruise control still work as they would in any car with sensors/radar, just using the cameras? or is it completely different? Can anyone confirm what its like in reality?

I have no real interest in the enhanced autopilot stuff/self driving stuff, but I couldn't live without solid cruise control, or reliable parking sensors/cameras. Seems bizarre to do away with these? The model y seems like such an attractive package but these kind of tesla-isms worry me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It's cost cutting dressed up as progress - taken to the extreme in the new Model 3 Highland which has no indicator stalks or gear shift (well, there's one on the roof apparently!). Would make you worried for the future of the company if they're chasing the bottom line that hard to support the share price.

Anyway, if you think cameras are not a good replacement for radar / sensors (when parking anyway), you'd be correct - it's often a useless barrage of bongs and blongs. Having said that, the rear camera is very good and I've had no issues in 11 months to date. I don't really use CC though so not much help on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Probably best to pay 20k more and buy something else if the removal of those two items "shocked" you.

The removal of the stalks in the m3 may "terrify" you if you look into that.

We have a m3 with sensors and one without and it's grand. A camera at the front would be a nice addition but we both drove cars with no sensors or cameras in the past and managed fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The fact they can knock 10k/4k off cars at will is it really for cost cutting measures they are removing things like stalks? How expensive is it for them to stick stalks on a car? Surely if it costs them a few hundred to put in stalks (which it probably doesn't even cost that at massive bulk) they can just add a few hundred to a car and it's covered and nobody would bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Having had a Tesla with and without there's no impact in my opinion. Test drive one and see how you get on. You've 3 reverse cameras and autopilot (adaptive cruise control) that comes as standard is good.

Also the User interface is very intuitive and never missed the android auto I had on my previous Hyundai

Why would you need to pay 20K more to buy something else? You can get an ID4 for 2-3K more, Toyota have dropped the price of the BZ as well. Loads of options now in the SUV style for reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

Depends what you want. Some people see better value in the Model Y, especially as currently priced, and 0% finance.

Model Y: significantly quicker RWD or LR, slightly more efficient, better infotainment system, more interior and storage space, better app, one-pedal-driving, better sound system, ranger mobile service, supercharger access, no annual 'servicing', adaptive cruise control and lane keep as standard, more frequent OTA updates(good & sometimes bad perk)

ID4: more comfortable?, better build quality?, more tactile buttons, carplay, parking sensors, radar cruise sensor(optional), matrix headlights(optional), rain sensor, drivers display, more (optional) safety tech.

It's difficult to make exact comparisons due to different battery sizes, tech, and power output. For example, ID4 GTX is €65k(no optional extras) on configurator before dealer and delivery fees. It's slower than MYLR but has similar range I believe. Add some spec and you're at €70K.

Base ID4 is €42k before fees and doesn't have as many standard features as MY, significantly slower, less range, and less efficient than Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

That's pretty much what I had in mind, paddy spec id4 is cheap but a specced one is alot more.

It's about €45K for the new ID4 Pro Plus with the new motor in blue. You can add another €1200 or so to get Matrix headlights and something else.

My point is that Redfox said "Probably best to pay 20k more and buy something else if the removal of those two items "shocked" you". I'm simply stating that you don't need to spend €20K more to get parking sensors and radar for cruise control and that there's plenty of other options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Where have people being going for insurance lately. Mine has shot up from about €450 to €1045 with 123.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had a 3 with parking sensors and now have a Y without, parking was obviously a lot better on the 3. The Y is extremely cautious when it comes to parking, leaves you a massive amount of space. I generally ignore what it's telling me when parking and just use my eyes, bit of a shame they did that but wasn't a deal-breaker for me. I think the first day or two I got it it would give me a distance in centimetres that I was from the nearest object which was complete nonsense, since then it's been telling me park assist is degraded and doesn't give me any distance figures which is totally fine by me.

I can't say I've noticed any difference to the cruise control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

That's a crazy jump. I'm with aviva but not due to renew till June.

Advertisement