Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Oh I don't that merch could be worth something considering the infamy of the show now. Some collectors could be looking for it. 😀 Or am I watching too much Pawn Stars?

Well cynical does think that is the reason why she was allowed to resign to protect all their asses and as one of the TD's or Senators said at the PAC hearing the other day its very easy to blame everything on Forbes. You'd have to wonder did they get together and say Dee you resign and then pull a sickie and we will look after you when its all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

2.6 million given in hand shake payments at RTE during the very sick Dee Forbes time as DG.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Dee Forbes was leaving anyway before this story broke.

RTE had even decided on appointing Kevin Bakhurst after an interview process, about two months before this all started.

Asking for her resignation at the end of June 23 was a pointless act as she was going in July anyway.

I agree that more than Dee Forbes knew about this, but the committees keep referring to all their powers, time to start using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Tow

The cost of back funding pension schemes for the Bogus Self Employment could make the current figures in the public domain look like chicken feed.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Her contract was up and she was already out of there, using up holidays so the resignation was symbolic only.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lookit, a question which always puzzles me is why governments from years back did not notice the outlandish wedges given to RTE people.

Those canny canines, the dogs in the street, knew that there was shenanigans going on, out of kilter wedges, side deals, nepotism on a grand scale, insiders growing fat on the hog, uncontrolled spending all from a publicly funded company via the taxpayers euro.

Very strange that nobody in Govt. seriously put up their hand and said stop?

I mean they put themselves forward at these committee meetings as 'defenders of the taxpayer'.

I would suggest that they as a body of folk especially those in ministerial jurisdiction of that area should keep a bit quiet and keep the head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Think that she was suspended by the board and that RTE tried to keep that secret until it was forced to confirm.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The light today seems to be getting shined on the amount to be disclosed for the Coveney payment despite him handing in his resignation, could be box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why should he have got any payment beyond in lieu of wages if told to leave before the notice date of finishing.

The gravy train at RTE has continued under Backhurst - millions of licence fee payers money is still seen as their own personal honey pot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Let's not forget that the board/RTE put it in the public domain that hotly tipped David McRedmond would not be getting the job..I thought it was apalling to publicly announce someone as being unsuccessful at interview like that. IMO, he was never going to get it having being a strong critic of the board while head of TV3. However, he must be delighted he avoided all this.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Thank you, I was trying to remember last night who the other candidate was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Was there only two? It was a Sunday evening they informarion surfaced. McRedmond then went public about it. Shocking to treat him that way. This recruitment procese was also a shambles.

Here is a link to it, there are more articles online

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/04/16/mcredmond-closes-door-on-appointment-as-rte-director-general/

Sorry about the typo in my post. I editer it above

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

aye,they are STILL pishin it away with no end in sight it seems...ffs enough is enough...tired of the usual 'contractual agreements' 'confidentiality clauses' 'legal advice' load of bollix...only thing i havnt heard yet is 'lessons learned' its public/tax payer funded,we should know how our money is spent and on what...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

How many times was Forbes in with Committees and as the thread title says "banging the Licence fee drum"? Did not one TD ask her why are RTE paying exorbitant wages not only to the "Talent" but to the Senior Execs and yet here she is asking for more money and playing the poor mouth?

This sort of carryon is rife within the Public sector and it goes from the top down, look a politicians wages, Sec Gens, Government advisors all creaming it at our expense and yet there is no accountability.

RTE needed to get people in with no connection at all to RTE, probably some hard nosed slash and burn merchant from the private sector. I have seen a few of those in action and there would be blood on the walls in RTE with one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'd agree with almost all you say there Floppy, however I would say politicians are not overpaid for day to day stuff

Look at how Georgie scuttled back to the bosom of Montrosia when he realised the workload involved.

And he had the nice backstop back to the Pink Palace if the voters copped onto him.... most don't have that safety net.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i think it was more georges way over inflated sense of (self)importance...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So speaking of Dee Forbes and the title of the thread and @Floppybits question.

The first date for her being in front of an oireachtas committee(joint committee on communications, climate action and environment) as DG is November 22nd, 2016.

That initial appearance doesn’t seem to have gone down well in the Seanad, as two days later, senator Terry Leyden says she “made a fool of the committee”, as she was appointed on April 1st, 2016.

There’s five pages of results when you search her name, but that includes her appearing before committees and being mentioned in debates in both the Dail and Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Rounding down the redundancy figure.. from 450 to 400... Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

^ God almighty..

Does this happen anywhere else?

I'm as green as grass about stuff like this. Is it actually legal or even moral?

Instead of practically pleading with Forbes and anyone else who won't appear, PAC need to get the.dinger out and start going the legal way.

One year later and no-one has actually been held responsible for the crap that is rte and their very questionable operations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Time to send in the Gardai, CAB and Corporate Enforcement.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Since they decided to close the Tubsidy thread and don't know where the main conversation on RTE has moved too.

But seriously on what f-ing planet do you round 450K to 400K!!! It is getting beyond a joke at this stage and pure fraud!!

When did they last round any figures up by 50K!!!

They are all corrupt as hell, and should be Jailed as far as I am concerned!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0216/1432648-rte/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Trampas

As said many times by multiple people the pac is just td’s trying to making themselves look like they’re great. When really they have as much legal power as posters on here

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

That's about the size of it. Unless fraud squad et al gets involved, this goes nowhere. The power to compel they have is feeble as it gets and will be vigorously fought by all the sicknotes. There's not a chance in hell any of these "distressed" "mentally fragile" or possibly even "suicidal" people will be compelled to do anything.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this plays out. 450k going away gifts for executives who lawyer up and put themselves beyond accountability while Joe Soap struggling to makes ends meet is told pay your dues to this organisation or take a fine and a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€50k would only be referred to as shrapnel to them there's that much being blown.

RTE cannot be trusted with public money.

I'm baffled how anyone could pay their licence fee after all this other than of course a desire not to break the law.

There is of course more to come out about this organisation.

And yet Adrian Lynch and Eimear Cusack are still working there!

Are we a nation of eijets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭mountain

Who the **** rounds 450k down to 400?!

auditors should be asked questions too

Cosy club there. And Catherine Martin has been vastly disappointing in her position to represent the licence fee payer.

She has done nothing and is waiting on reports and reports and then when she gets them she does nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The same type who take 150k off someone's wage while still paying them the 150k - is anyone really surprised at RTE's accounting practices

It's all a facade what they publish

• Advertisement

The farce and scandal remained when we saw that Oliver Callan is being paid 150 grand for one hour of radio a day with presumably 8 to 10 weeks off a year.

No change.

Advertisement