Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Citi

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I think AVP is in the 60's to mid 70's, VP can go up to 90 and SVP can go up to 150 but it all depends on a lot of factors (I.e. department, experience, if youre managing a team, etc.) And the above figures are just salary, not bonus or anything extra.

I've been at citi for 3 years, some observations:

1. The culture isn't great, lots of people are incredibly busy putting in long hours, high stress, excessive amount of calls and meetings over nothing, lots of blame game finger pointing type carry on and some of, frankly, the strangest and rudest people I've ever worked with or interacted with in a professional setting, some absolute head cases in the office and in teams abroad.

2. Theres tons of irrelevant management layers (although currently the organisation is being restructured with lots of people getting cut which will impact this but not so much in the dublin office from what ive observed) which can be frustrating in getting things done. Those who are senior or have a lot of experience have the final say and while there are a lot of senior people who are very smart and pragmatic working there, I'm shocked at how incompetent and stubborn some people are who are SVP and above!

3. In saying the above, there are positives, pay and benefits are very good, Citi places high value on internal mobility so while it can be hard to actually get a job there, once you're in, the sky is the limit for both progression, location and job area youre interested in provided you actively pursue it. There's tons of networking events and training courses you can do in any area you like which you can pursue as little or as much as possible.

All in all I don't regret joining Citi, I would echo other posters in emphasising its dependent on what team youre in whether youll have a good or bad experience. I don't love the team I'm in right now but it's not too bad, the pay and benefits are good, hours are generally 9 - 5.30 sometimes going over that if busy but no big deal. I'd be looking to move to another team next year but I will say it's the only company where since joining I've not planned an exit lol.

Additionally a lot of the negative points Iisted above are found in a lot of other companies I worked for (especially banks), I used to work for an Irish bank and found the culture even worse without any of the pay or benefits so I think if you have the opportunity to join citi, its worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Looking for some info. I have been offered a job as a contractor in Citibank in the Data Management Transformation Strategy Program Communications area. I am still debating if I should take it or not. It is a 12 month contact. I have been told the working hours are 8.30 to 5.30 with 3 days in the office and 2 days wfh. I was also told that as I am a contractor i will not be asked to work beyond those hours.

I was wondering if anybody who is currently working there as a contractor can give me some insights into what the hours are actually like? I will be doing a 2 hour commute each way so I really dont want to take the job if I am going to be working to 7 or 8 in the evening. I am in the lucky position of turning down the job if I dont want it but part of me would like to take the role for the experience. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Just check overtime provisions in the contract ? If they are not there you should stick with timings otherwise you will end up working for free...this is assuming you will take it up :) !

Good call. Thanks for that. I will be reading the contract with a fine tooth comb.

I'm potentially leaving a job in the Civil Service for this position (if I take it). I commonly do 5 to 10 hours extra in my current job (unpaid) but the office is only 20 minutes from my house.

I've lots of thinking to do around it. The daily rate is really good but the thoughts of the 5 hours commuting 3 days a week plus the chances of having to work more hours is putting me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Public sector to financial services will be a big shift and you will find it a lot more busy even during normal work hours😁😁

• Advertisement

Believe me I know what busy work is. Despite what a lot of people think there are areas in Government Depts where the workload is insane. 8am to 6pm is the norm for me and it's non stop apart from my 30 minute lunch break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

Is leaving a safe job to work for a company that's planning to axe 20,000 jobs really a good idea? I also think you should try to find out more about what the place is like from people who are there right now. Somebody belonging to me used to work there until around a year ago and let's just say, what I heard wouldn't have me rushing to them with a CV in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭_H80_GHT

That's crazy. Are you at least able to build up the extra hours in days off? Even if you could it would seem like you'd be faced with an even crazier workload after.

I would be taking a career break if I took the position as it is only a 12 month contract. I will definitely do a lot more research before deciding if I will take the role.

I can work up a day and a half flexi leave per month but even with that I still work an additional 10 to 12 hours a month above that. As there is nobody to do my job when I am on leave I typically end up doing even more hours when I come back from leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

Have the rules changed regarding returning to the civil service after taking a career break? My info is a bit out of date but I know people who had to wait for several months before they got back in.

I've taken a career break before and had no issues getting back to my Department on the agreed date.

Advertisement