Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Seems excessive to pay that to park a car up for a few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tazman06

Yeah I'll make the trip. Not sure on parking, got a hotel for the night that's not too far away. But it's known to be tough to get in and out of. But can't imagine a big crowd though so might be able to park up nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Ah looks like circumstances have conspired against me and babies being born unexpectedly (not mine) have scuttled my plans. I'll have to rely on northern sound and a match report from the dedicated fans on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Team named, Oisin Kiernan from Castlerahan still out which is a big loss. Oisin Brady makes the bench and Paddy Meade and Cian Reilly make the panel for the first time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

If Oisin Brady is at all fit, I’d think he start.

Conor Brady still not fit - surely he’s getting near Conor Smith level of just being told to head back to his club and get regular football.

• Advertisement

Ah lads what a win away down in Cork. Delighted to be down for it, fair bit of luck with their missed chances etc but a wins a win. 4 from 6 is great and need to push on now

Very important win, good to see fight in the team to get it over the line.

Ballsy performance. Kept plugging away even when the game was going against them and we reached into the panel with plenty of injuries. I wouldn't even say we played that well but in the key period of the game, we made the right decisions.

Galligan deserves credit for his half time tactical changes, they won the game. We wiped Cork at midfield in the second half.

I was impressed with Niall Carolan, Brian O'Connell, Paddy Lynch was MOTM.

Discipline is an issue, Gunner's black card was from pure petulance. Faulkner's was equally unnecessary and on several occasions we gave away frees from off the ball incidents.

Overall, a display to be proud of and we can go for a few beers in Cork City tonight with our heads held high!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

When you say we wiped them out at midfield what changes do you think affected this? Sorry, I was listening on the radio and hard to follow what was happening in detail. Who stood up? Was it on long kickouts that we dominated? Thanks and best regards.

Brilliant result. Heard the first half on northern sound and seems like we rode our luck at times but stayed in touch. Missed the 2nd half but delighted to see we played much better and then a gritty finish to get over the line. 4 points from 6 in first 3 games, I think we'd have taken that any day when the draw game out first. Well done to the lads.

• Advertisement

Cork should have had us put away first half but we rode our luck and were blessed to be in the game come the second half. I had memories of the Down McKenna Cup game when Cork started rolling over the scores before the half time whistle, coming from 1 behind to lead by 3 (again).

Thought Niall Carolan is really progressing after I had initial doubts. Gerry Smith was back to his form vs Kildare after a dip the last day out.

Paddy Lynch answered the critics. He’s been scoring too heavily at club level for years now not to be the next key forward for Cavan.

There are still some big concerns - discipline was poor, we allowed Cork drag us into a dogfight, and we must have went twenty minutes of the second half without scoring when we reverted to trying to defend a slender lead rather than pressing home our advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly .... plus the lack of goals, none in 3 games. What happened Mc Veety?

We seemed to fully commit to the press in the second half, in the first Cork got short kickouts away but they were forced long nearly every time in the second.

Killian Clarke had a big second half and broke a lot of ball. Holla and McLoughlin were around the middle in the second half and mopped up a lot of breaking ball. That was my reading of it but I'm sure there are tacticians that will give a better explanation.

The performance was flawed, no doubt. Error ridden and sloppy for much of it but the effort and the steel to stay in the game and grind it out was admirable.

Thanks for that. Fair play to you for getting down. The effort levels so far in the 3 games have been excellent. I'm delighted for Raymond that the change in tactics paid off. It will give him great confidence in his decision making going forward, especially with him been new to management. Looking forward to Ardee now.

I didn’t hear, he didn’t start. He went into the FF line in second half the last day so perhaps he had picked up a knock then.

No goals scored but none conceded either - we did tread a fine line today though.

Only team in the 4 divisions not to score or concede a goal. Don't know what to make of that...

I'd say that on balance that's good when your 3 games were Kildare away, Donegal home and Cork away.

In fairness we were blessed not to concede a goal today. Cork had an open goal for a palmed goal and hit the bar. Brian O'Connel smothered another goal chance. Our first 3 points were half goal chances.

I think our conversion rate was 70 something percent today. Didn't miss any places balls. That was key to the win. Cork hit a few bad wides in the closing stages and we punished them for it.

That’s a very valid point. It can clearly be argued we have underperformed the past few years but the fact is, according to the ranking table on here (which is based on recent historical data), we have played the teams, at the start of the season, ranked 9th (Cork), 12th (Kildare) and 13th (Donegal).

We were ranked 18th so only Fermanagh (25) were below us in the Division at the start of the season.

We still need a wider sample of games but Galligan has made a more than apt start to his managerial career.

A few positives from last night:

Brian O'Connell looks the part. He's an excellent man marker and i think he's forcing his way into the starting side. He still needs to adapt fully to the physicality but very encouraging display yesterday.

Niall Carolan's leadership and attacking threat. His ball carrying at the end of the first half when we were under the cosh brought us back into the game. Still needs to improve composure close to goal but he's been one of the best league performers so far.

Paddy Lynch. 100% from placed balls including one from 48 metres and one close to the sideline. Won his duel. Think he just hit one wide. In the absence of McVeety he was the leader up front. He still looks like he's playing well below his ceiling too.

The bench. Cian Madden was very good and kicked 2 important scores. Conor Rehill was solid and got a score, O'Connell, Cian Reilly all contributed.

Negatives:

Individual errors. Our play was littered with high tackling, misplaced passes, overcarrying and poor discipline. There was a little too much whining at the referee too.

Injuries. McVeety not fit to feature, James Smith had to go off, Carolan had to go off. With Louth next week, a lot of starters will be doubtful.

• Advertisement

Just watched Meath & Louth. Louth wasted at least two if not three good goal chances.

Kildare were absolutely atrocious against Armagh in the first half action I saw earlier. They’ll do well to gain any sort of momentum and stay up. Couldn’t even string simple passes together at times.

I saw some of the second half and as you say, truly atrocious. A complete lack of confidence a therefore the basic skills if the game couldn't be performed. Sad to watch really.

Galligan was interviewed on the pod, and he said McVeety pulled up with a tweak in training during the week. Team had likely already been submitted with him on it. Not sure if he'll be ok for Sunday

Didnt sound good to me on McVetty. We could be down to the bare bones for Louth.

Where do we need to finish to be guaranteed to be in the last 16 for the All-Ireland.

Leinster and Munster will have a team who will qualify who are either in bottom Division 2 or in Division 3

Munster - Kerry, Clare

Connaught - Galway, Mayo

Leinster - Dublin, Westmeath/Kildare

Ulster - Derry, Armagh

Tailteann Winner - Meath

That leaves 7 teams who have not qualified through the above to be decided on league positions.

On my count 5th in Division 2 will be ok.

Is there something about Division 3 winners getting through?

Sounds like it. If McVeety is longer term and James Smith and Carolan are out after Saturday too, then we're a lot down. Oisin Kiernan (C'rahan) was sitting behind me in the stand Saturday, so he must be a bit away yet. Conor Brady meant to be close, but Sunday might come too soon for him. Really need the squad to step up. Likes of Oisin Brady will be back better after getting a run back out there Saturday.

No, Division 3 winners will not make it on that alone. We didn't last year. Likely 5th will sneak in alright, but need to be higher just in case some team make a run through to the final.

It's a really flawed system in that we would need to beat Monaghan, Tyrone and Derry or Donegal to get to a provisional final while Clare will have one game against Tipp or Waterford to get to the same stage.

Fully agree. It's mad the way it is. Think they need to consider the way the provincials are laid out if they are to feed finalists into the All Ireland series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Long day out but you can't beat a day like that, winning by the tightest of margins. Rode our luck in the first half but as you said, Ray has to take serious credit for the changes made at half time. Disappointing that when 3 points up and a man up and totally dominant that we didn't go for the jugular but when the game looked to be slipping away from us it was brilliant to see players back themselves and take vital scores. Not sure where the ref got an additional three minutes onto the six added on.

Paddy Lynch was outstanding, nailed some tricky frees including that monster underneath the North Stand. Cian Madden coming back and scoring is a huge plus. Was Carolan injured or did he just empty the tank? He was up and down the pitch all day- would prefer the Holla at centre half back and Carolan as a half back.

Games coming thick and fast so the panel is going to be tested. Ray saying McVeety pulled up in training sounds ominous. Would love to have him fit for Sunday in Ardee, but that's not likely. Assuming with a head injury James Smith will be rested, so O Connell or Rehill in for Faulkner at half back and Faulkner and Clarke out in the middle. Paddy Lynch will be tightly marked so he is going to need Caoimhim Reilly, Oisin Brady, Cian Madden and Gerry Smith to keep chipping in with scores but so far so good

Wondering for anyone else at the game, I know it was almost do-or-die for Cork but did we look very leggy in the first half? Wonder whether there was a big block of training done between the Donegal and Cork games.

Advertisement