Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"Do you think one of the countries along the way should have done us a favour and taken them in?"

Passing through 15 countries, I assume many European countries before entering here a island in the Atlantic. Why skip many safe countries to claim asylum, it's the persons decision to claim asylum not the countries to claim for them.

"Look at the amount of people here wanting to pass it off as someone else's problem."

No you simply avoiding the fact, many safe countries were ignored for asylum by the guy from Pakistan to claim asylum here people are asking why?

Also we can't have our borders open to the 3rd world and resolve all the worlds problem.

"Neither can I expect us to get much help or sympathy given our role as global tax leeches."

What do you mean "expect us much help or sympathy", what are you talking about? Are you implying we deserve to be overrun with asylum seekers as we're "global tax leeches" What a crazy insane statement to write out.

So you think we're leeches on the world stage, we deserve to be inundated with people arriving here from the 3rd world because we're leeches?? What a pathetic strange view to have on your own country and to connect our corporation tax on asylum seekers arriving here. Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It's very difficult to plan effectively with the lax immigration policies we have. 15 years ago an era of quite high emigration was starting, but it had been preceeded by massive immigration post 2004. When the economy turned again circa 2015 inward migration started up in a big way once again.

Allowing massive immigration into a small country means there will never be effective planning, it'll always be reactive. There will likely never be a stable housing market either, it'll always take off like a rocket when the economy is strong.

Basically we are always going to have shortages and problems like we do now unless immigration becomes far more restrictive. The population is up by approximately a third since 2000. That's despite a very weak economy for around a third of that time and a couple of years of travel restrictions due to Covid. It's no wonder hospitals are stretched with such a large jump in population

It's hard see that this will be changed, but there is a mood for it around Europe. There is a demand for much tighter immigration in Holland, Italy and France as well as here. It might change yet, but if it doesn't we'll always have the same problems, there isn't a hope of planning our way out of it.

Sadly, the right thing to do is acknowledge that immigration does need to be restricted.

Maybe it's important to say, but none of this is anti-immigrant. The vast majority of immigrants have done very well in Ireland, we all know people who have come from abroad who work very hard. But that's sort of beside the wider point that Ireland can't accommodate everyone who wants to come.

I'm just trying to deal with the realities of the situation.

Some things are beyond our control, so it's best to deal with them as practically as possible and not make things worse.

As for safe countries, look at it this way, if there were IPAs passing through Ireland on the way to the UK, would you be insisting they make their claims here?

Scary to think isn't it!

It does sound like there's plenty would overlook his history, and all the other disastrous policies on offer, just because of some unfulfillable promise on controlling borders.

Build that wall! Build that wall! Build that wall!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

"I think we should try to limit non essential visas for the foreseeable future"

People seeking asylum is mostly the issue, arriving at the airport destroying their ID/Passport and requesting asylum for refugee. It's creating challenges for accommodation, services etc...

"After that I don't think there's much can be done about IPA's. The fortress approach has been proven not to work elsewhere and would be even harder to implement here with EU and UK connections"

We're simply opening up to failed asylums to "self-deport", meaning we're signaling for others to come here even if you fail the asylum criteria. It's creating tent cities as above with the guy from Pakistan. Other EU countries have clamped down in previous months on people claiming asylum and returning back to the country they came from, look at Denmark's response to this.

"Long term I think the only answer is to strengthen the UN, in several areas, and tackle the push factors."

I agree but it'll never happen.

A political grandstanding soapbox the UN, if you're waiting on the UN to resolve 3rd world problems then I'd advise not to hold your breath. While there's huge corruption and tribal/clan wars on-going in Africa/Asia/Middle East it'll always be destabilised meaning people will seek refugee into the west.

"I do think we should try and be honest with people about conditions here. It's really not as attractive here as our economy suggests."

What about the conditions for the working and or the middle class too, there's tens of thousands of people homeless. I've seen this all at first hand the conditions here for people are working their boll*x off and struggling to keep afloat, rent , mortgage, kids , living etc... . Again before you mention, it's not the IPA fault. Adding people who haven't a cent to their name into the services here is creating strain onto our already poor infrastructure.

So what you're saying is, we need to limit the flow of people on visa's but we can't do anything about IPA's arriving.

In that term, stop more people arriving on Visa's who have accommodation, money and can support themselves while take in as many of IPA's arriving at our shores who'll be supported by the tax payer for x amount of years. Wait on the UN to combat the problems in the 3rd world so tackling push factors for people immigrating and in the meantime try telling asylum seekers we're not as attractive as the economy suggests.

Thankfully you're not in power I hope, not been smart but that's an insane way of looking at immigration and creating any solution to this issue. Basically do nothing and hopefully the UN sorts it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

There isn't 15 countries between Ireland and the UK. There is tho people coming through the North from GB into Ireland seeking asylum.

You still haven't clarified the comment you wrote,

"Neither can I expect us to get much help or sympathy given our role as global tax leeches."

What did you mean by this comment above?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

You mean immigration policy rather than the immigrants themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"I don't care about international obligations, why can't the Government say no more and stand up to the EU and and co. - what's the worst that can happen. We get told off? That is already happening, who cares. We get fined? Surely any fines must be cheaper than spending millions on housing the world."

AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong, we have no obligation to take 100,000 UKR refugees. The EU did not tell us to take 100k+, nor did they allocate a certain amount to us. It is demand-driven. The UKR people can choose where to go. We attract them here, with high benefits.

Similarly, if we wanted to, we could have fewer AS. By accepting bogus AS, we attract them. We choose to be soft on them, so obviously more then come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

“This is unsustainable, we've taken in over a million people legally (Asylum, Economical, IP etc) the last ten years.”

can I ask where you sourced this information? I’m genuinely interested and I don’t doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,604 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I hear all of your points but surely the shortages themselves are the problem, not the demand for services. It all comes down to whether one sees lack of supply or alternatively demand as the problem. I would still say that lack of planning and foresight has caused much of the problems with houses, infrastructure and services, rather than the Govt being supposedly caught unawares by the speed of the population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It’s quite easily to imagine him failing to get elected - as he lost his seat 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You and others keep making the same point but we are where we are, theres no point in saying the government should have done more years ago. Deal with the current situation. Make a start by reducing welfare rates to Ukrainians instead of paying full welfare on top of free boarding.

I'm acutely aware of how hard it is for people working here thanks.

I'm trying to prevent us of being faced with the additional burden of being stuck with the huge bill from a failed hard borders approach. That and the dangers of handing opportunities to trafficking gangs in a country with such stretched policing resources.

I'm not saying we should be doing nothing while we push for longer term solutions. Of course we should be looking for more affordable solutions to the ridiculous practices of putting people in private hotels.

After that we really should be making people aware of the realities of living in Ireland.

I'd also consider an entry to citizenship programme for people who commit to long term work in construction and healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Should we get the violin out for you?

Any criminal scum who cause harm to anyone should be prosecuted for it.

I wonder what the impact of Coimisiun na Mean coming into effect from today onward will be since posts like that are probably going to be forwarded onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

No, it's not scary at all. Especially considering the other crew (that used to do well in the polls) and the willingness of people to overlook their shady history

And now their utter failure to read the room over the last 2 years, sees them in the process of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory - I feel your pain on that one Boo

I feel your pain! I feel your pain! I feel your pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭suvigirl

People seeking asylum is mostly the issue, arriving at the airport destroying their ID/Passport and requesting asylum for refugee. It's creating challenges for accommodation, services etc...

Less then 4000 undocumented people arrived last year, not sure it's the big issue you claim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

4000 people that committed offence against the state.

Under the Immigration Act 2004 it is an offence, punishable by up to 12 months in prison or a €3,000 fine, for an adult to land in the State without a valid travel document.

Genuine question, why are there no convictions for this? There is 1 I believe.

Read the full text to my reply - not just nit pick.

What I said "In that term, stop more people arriving on Visa's who have accommodation, money and can support themselves while take in as many of IPA's arriving at our shores who'll be supported by the tax payer for x amount of years"

Undocumented 4000 and how many successful /unsuccessful AS and IP too? The issue has been pointed out a million times on this thread

And what says IPAs will be dependant on Tax payers? They can work once They are here 6 months

IDK Suvigirl, All you do, ask a million questions and make up the argument as you go along... Google the amount the government has spent on hotels, supports of welfare, check the amount we've spent on IPA's.

Edited to add some context -

- Just on accommodation alone €42 million euro a month

May 2023 I'd imagine the amount has gone up by now

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41143738.html

Great little earner for whoever gets them contracts!

Another update -

Drogheda hotel that normally makes 1 million profit will get 13 million per year to house 400 Refugees

"This is a bad deal for taxpayers - the state is effectively paying 312 euro per room per night when the previous owners were getting 100 euros."

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/drogheda-hotel-refugees-13-million-32141240

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

There is people already been trafficked into Ireland, we're paying billions already with the burden of housing and supporting IPA.

The problem is there is no long term solution spoken about from the government, they're completely **** the bed with any communication with the public.

Visa worker, working here after x amount of years paying tax good citizen that's for another thread, more concerned with the borders been inundated with a huge surge in bogus AS.

You still haven't replied back regarding your comment on "Neither can I expect us to get much help or sympathy given our role as global tax leeches" think its a telling indicator of what you think of this country.

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, you could wait for an election yes. There are parties who stand on an anti-immigration ticket. People are free to run for them and vote for them. Why don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

The Pamela Izbekhai case, and a few other high profile ones, have always baffled me.

Virtually everyone who ever applied for asylum in Ireland did, eventually, get to stay.

A tiny proportion by way of actual refugee status.

A large proportion pre 2005 by birthright citizenship.

Plenty more who were in the system so long the gov just said, right, gwan, away with ye.

When you see cases like PI you can only think that the government pretty much dipped into a hat full of names and said this, this family we are getting rid of, to show we do something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement