Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Yep. After 25 years of trying to be environmentally responsible in general, including recycling everything I can, I'm out. Every piece of waste will now being going to landfill.

Scheme is fine for people who drive everywhere and do large shops in bulk. Handy enough to throw all your empties in the back of the car and drop them off at your next shop.

For anyone who actually uses public transport, and gets their main shop by delivery, it's completely unworkable. Options are to throw all your empties in a sack and lug them on the bus to work, then stop somewhere on the way home to return them; or just eat the extra cost, in which case not a single item will be going in the green bin from now on.

If you're elderly or infirm and rely on delivery, you don't even have the "throw it all in a sack" option.

It's not a deposit, it's a tax which actually targets people who were less likely to pollute. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Yep. After 25 years of trying to be environmentally responsible in general, including recycling everything I can, I'm out. Every piece of waste will now being going to landfill

Considering how little of our 'recyclables' has actually been getting recycled, your statement about sending everything to landfill is not as bad as it sounds. Which is the worst option?:

• Burn the plastic to fsck, who cares about airborne pollutants (this is what happens to about 70% of our 'recycled' plastic today)
    • Pay the cheapest bidder to take it off our hands, where it goes no one knows, but some of it ends up dumped on the side of the road in Asia (the other 30% of our 'recycled' plastic)
    • Send it landfill, managed landfills in Ireland

The plastic coming from RVM's may stand a better chance of actually being recycled, but my eyes have been opened to the bollix of 'putting your plastic in the recycle bin'. Reduce sure, Reuse sure, Recycle highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Green Man will be back again in 10-15 years to tell us all that RVMs were the wrong way to go and we all need to do it X way.

Q New Logo. But this is the best way I promise.

TBH. Probably the best way to be environmental at this stage is barrel and canister of petrol.

Cut out the theatrics and the polluting middle men.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That reflects the views of many decent people who have been doing their best to recycle and paying for it. Unlike the feckers who dumped plastic bags of domestic rubbish on our road today.

It's simply inexcusable and it has to be repeated ad nauseum, that this deposit concept has not been integrated into the existing recycling collection system. A slap in the face for those who have been making the effort. Banana Republic run by Donkeys.

And yes, it is a topic of current discussion among our neighbours in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

I’ve yet to one person using them 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

• in fairness isn’t the main point here to reduce the amount we consume single use plastic in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Why do you need to give it time?

Was the Old stock not being recycled?

Do we need New stock? Will it be recycled in some way different to the old stock?

Is there some new magic benefit to this new charging system!!

• I wouldn’t be able to say I’ve seen anyone use one either. And my local dunnes has almost no non return bottles or cans for sale at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have used one in Dunnes. There was one person ahead of me... otherwise Ive seen no one using them across multiple retailers.

Bonus points - the item I returned and got 25c back for was bought pre Feb 1st without deposit charged!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Most places only had old stock , local Tesco had new stock in and noticed different logo on the Pepsi Max now and can has new symbol.

Old stock was getting sold as usual and now replaced with new edition with logos.

Not sure if everybody is changing to a new look to show its not the same.

Old stock should have been recycled by you as you previously did.

Same here but when 100% of stock is replaced we will see more movements

"Old stock should have been recycled by you as you previously did."

But this is my point, what is the purpose of the new "charging" system, adding complexity and wasting resources, when the bottles were already being recycled?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Collection rates were poor and mixed recycling streams are frequently contaminated.

Domestic recycling bins were not working.

More chance of wanting your money back now so items are getting returned to machines and not just dumped and should bring up % items returned.

DIRTY Dublin if you have seen the crap thrown all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They still arent working then for the items still going into them. Maybe we should have tried to fix that?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's pretty stupid that it's only some bottles and cans that can be returned, that is what is leading to bags of abandoned cans and bottles at machines,

• Collection rates were poor

How will this make it better....more inconvenient for cents!!

The people littering Dublin (Other Poster) do not care about 15/25cent

• recycling streams are frequently contaminated

What's to stop contamination in this system, It still has mixed Cans, Plastics, and will these machines detect if the inside of a CAN is clean, or has been filled with other crap?

• Domestic recycling bins were not working.

But we should be asking, why it was not working? (If that's even true!). And will the people who cannot use the ease and convenience of a bin outside their own door, really start making an improvement with this system?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Stop buying cans and plastic bottles lads.

The world isn't going to end if you do.

Do you know what will end?

This $cam

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Machines won't accept cans or bottles filled with stuff, they know what the target rate is.

Making domestic recycling work in terms of contamination would require a method for continually and forensically issuing hefty fines to those that didn't use their bins properly, which would be hated and inevitably lead to fly tipping as people would avoid using them at all lest they get fined - fly tippers rarely are.

This system works everywhere else it's implemented. Ireland isn't unique enough for it to magically fail here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

My young lad found a can with a return logo while at his football club this evening. He insisted on walking home to search for more and and found a bottle too. He was delighted with himself and was so excited to use the machine and see it work. I think this will have an impact long term. Some people will throw away items, others will pick these up and collect the tax/deposit the buyer/disposer has paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

is there any country this has been successful in that also has both a sugar tax & minimum unit pricing and where these products are already as expensive?

i'd imagine it's possible a scandinavian country might be as expensive, but people there would generally have a higher standard of living & would be getting ripped off less in many other facets of life.

in tesco, it's currently €1.55 for a reguarl coke, +15 cent deposit

checked german aldi for an example, before the + 15 cent a can of regular coke is only 95 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

There is a Scottish neighbour of mine in his 90s. When he was growing up in Glasgow he and his mates used to go around nicking empty glass bottles to get the money offered for them.

Didn't really work for the milk bottles because the milk man would know how many bottles a family would have.

Denmark and Sweden are already expensive and have been doing this for years.

But this is irrelevant to the scheme actually working. The deposit in many US states is 5c

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

yeah knew denmark & sweden are in scandinavia, as mentioned. didn't know they had the sugar tax & minimum unit pricing tho?

l already said the scheme will "work", but don't think it's the flex cheerleaders of it think it will be, & will have a net negative affect overall in how people view green politics.

They don't need sugar tax and MUP to be expensive there, they're already expensive. It has no impact on the return schemes there.

Sugar tax realistically affects one single product - Coca Cola. Everything else on the market has adapted to be exempt. Probably the single most effective 'sin tax' ever introduced - every other product of any scale has reduced its sugar content. MUP only affects canned beer - not the primary source of in scope products.

Stuff already being expensive has no impact on whether this will work regardless.

If various Very Angry Men (like these threads are full of) get pissed off by the scheme and change their consumption habits the scheme has worked absolutely perfectly. A lot of the single use container consumption here is utterly insane. Let them think they've somehow got one over on "the man" by doing exactly what was wanted of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

I would have thought a Moderator would have more respect for members than resorting to calling them "very angry men" continually because they have a different opinion on the scheme to you. The scheme does have flaws, whether they are ironed out soon or not remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Ehmmm, your quote " MUP only affects canned beer-not the primary source of in scope products" is wrong. MUP affects all alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

Mention of negative impact on green party politics seems to have hit a nerve. If anyone making changes to avoid Re-Turn actually felt like they're "getting one over on the man" surely there'd be more praise for it on here.

The "Very Angry Men" will probably continue to point out the cons of this scheme for some time no matter how much green fanatics might not like it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement