Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

It's a braindead, pointless referendum- and because it's so pointless and braindead I will be turning up to vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,721 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So again we're back to legislating in the constitution, which has already proven to be a disaster.

If any future Oireachtas legislates for something you don't like, campaign to get different TDs elected, but this is true of anything. The constitition cannot get involved in the minutiae of everything.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,721 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No. It has no effect on separation/divorce now and will have no effect if changed, either.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭baldbear

Just got the booklet and actually read a bit.

Page 6. The care amendment.

Article 41.2.2 " The state shall ,therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home"

The words obliged ,ensure are important in my and I'm sure legal eyes. Wording to be replaced with wishy washy words such as " state recognises and strive to support ".

A woman has a case against the state where she is the carer of her child who has down syndrome, epilepsy,autism . She is using the the article 41.2.2 as her basis to appeal a decision to pay her the full carers allowance. The date for her appeal is in April.

The question has been asked was the date of the referendum set knowing her appeal was in April because it sounds like she will win her case based on what is currently in the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭rowantree18

I'll be voting to get the "women in the home" thing out for definite. Yes - the Holy trifecta of Steen, Breda and Ronan do my head in, but the real reason is for my own, dead mammy.

Absolutely loved working. Said she loved to hear "my high heels going clikety click on the path walking to work ". Forced by a repressive country to stay at home. Hated it. Nowhere to put kids. While her Scandi and Central European counterparts had cheap state daycare. If the state had wanted to help women we'd have had daycare and CHOICES. My beautiful mam had none. Imagine having no choice over your existence. And lucky she wasn't very fertile or she'd have had 8 kids too.

The state needs to "endeavour " to help families, however they look. Woman's place is where SHE thinks it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Photobox

But how does the way the constitution is now affect women working, genuine question. I'm female and working since 1989, if the Yes vote wins is childcare going to be easier for women? Just curious because I don't think I will make any difference. RIP to your mother, it really wasn't fair to women years ago forced to stay at home, my mother was in the same situation, no choice but to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭rowantree18

It doesn't really affect women working nowadays. There's only one way to actually help families an that's a State Day care system. I lived abroad and had my child in one - amazing experience.

I want the referral to women's natural place being in the home out because it was never right and did basically keep women at home - it was used against them. Carers in the home is less archaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭minimary

Saw FG's posters today, presumed it was labour because of the red background for their logo until I got up close.

They're so generic and boring, I bet they paid an advertising firm handsomely to come up with the design

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It doesn't really affect women working nowadays. 

That's the crux, really - and why I'll be a no. It doesn't affect women working. Or doing anything else. It doesn't hold any woman back from making any choice she wishes. Maybe when women aren't still carrying the burden of 90% of caring and home-based work, it can change. But while that is the case, the recognition puts Ireland ahead of other countries in terms of recognising women's contribution outside of a mere statistic on the old GDP.

There are also plenty of women who would not want to put their children into any form of daycare even if it were free. Removing any recognition of "duties within the home" which many women have, and instating a state-run childcare system, would open the door to women being forced to put their children into daycare to 'contribute' in the workforce. After all - why should some women get to stay home and raise their children when everyone else has to go to work and pay taxes?

It's terrible that your dear old mum suffered under Ireland's various forms of historical misogyny, but forcing women to act in the way she would have preferred to act is not any better.

There is no reason that the government cannot put provision for carers into the constitution (even an ineffectual 'strive') without removing mothers and their work at home, and they should be sent back to the drawing board to do just that.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I find some people don't even know there's a referendum on in three weeks.

The only people who I find vagely interested in it is a protest vote against the government. I should note these people would vote Yes if they felt it was in any way worth while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

lol “Vote yes for family and care” yet they want to replace “family” with “durable relationships”

Did the Gaslighter-in-Chief Varadkar come up with that one??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Anyone any ideas where one could see any of this so called majority of support for this shambles? The NCWI have severely restricted their twitter page, not surprising given the number of women lacerating them....the Green party officials are getting a similar reaction ...most media outlets have their comments sections switched off on any related stories...somehow I can't see many "coming home to vote" type of narcissistic posts complete with in plane selfie this time round!!

The Socially messed up Democrats will of course be "empowering" women to erase the word "woman" from the constitution for no other reason than just because....so admittedly I haven't even looked on their twitter page!

I know the feminists who refer to women as birthing people are supporting this, the NGO's, the political leadership class...I've met one person who was a loose yes....but in work, socially and online this seems to be a firm no...where can someone go to see this majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Wouldn't anyone vote for something if it is worthwhile? It seems most people think it's a wishy washy amendment and not a clear and concise change to the constitution. I would say that's the reason not to vote for it rather than reducing it solely to a protest vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

When they are rejected.. you'll see the politicians come out with patronising nonsense that the people didn't understand it, that they voted no because of immigration or housing etc etc And the Womens Council will go into hiding for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

I will be voting "No", because, like many others, the lack of definition of what a "durable relationship" consists of is of concern.

Also, since the government has failed abjectly, imo, to support "women in the home", I fail to see how the even more wishy washy use of the word "strive" will offer any additional protection whatsover to carers.

There was an old saying "Don't buy a pig in a poke". Those were words of wisdom then, and remain so now.

If anything, the Government are actually insulting the intelligence of voters in trying to sell a "Yes" vote.

Consider this. If the government, or A.N Other political party genuinely want the opinion of the people, should they not remain entirely neutral, and merely present the facts?

The fact that they cannot, or will not, define something as basic as a durable relationship, yet are encouraging a "Yes" vote, would suggest to any rational, thinking human being that they have an agenda that they choose not to reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I see Roderic O'Gorman has been 'community noted' on twitter, spreading more misinformation

There must be some way to publicly censure these government actors spreading deliberate disinformation about the referendum, surely? What is the point of the electoral commission otherwise?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You can't even comment on his video either unless he follows you. That in itself should speak volumes to anyone viewing it.

It's also a warning of the future under McEntee's "hurt feelz" bill - free resign for Government ministers and other "approved" persons or groups to spread whatever they like with no way for people to counter under threat of prosecution.

But be sure to vote the way they "ask", and to return the current coalition in upcoming elections to make Ireland's society safe and secure in the same way as some places with red and gold national flags are/were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Vote as you like but you have this all wrong! The present article does not say that women's place is in the home anymore than it's says women's place is in work. It's quite open ended and simply and rightfully acknowledges womens role in home life. And that's all. I'm not a woman but if I was, I'd certainly appreciate that special mention regardless of whether being a stay at home mother or working mother. Both have a special role in home life and to suggest otherwise is insulting.

Men could argue that they have been ignored and their role in home life is not acknowledged, but that's a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Caquas

Can't see the majority for these referendums? You must be talking to ordinary citizens, like those in the Citizens Assembly who asked for something completely different.

But look at our elected representatives - the TDs and Senators already voted for these amendments and they were practically unanimous in their support!

And look at the NGOs, not a single voice for No. How's that for "diversity" and "speaking truth to power"🤔

If these referendums are not approved, it will expose our political class as hopelessly out of touch.

And they'll be looking for your vote in June and in the general election.😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 SYMETAL

Gender equality?

Yeah I think that's a good thing

I believe both genders should have equal rights.

Like it's 2024, how do we not already have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Wait for it, in the next few weeks this moronic government will probably be peddling a mantra of "Vote Yes for Jobs".

Such a senseless waste of money and resources to hold a completley pointless referendum- this needs to be defeated on that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Woman Mother

Gender ... well this word alone could open up a hornets nest? depending what the latest definition of gender actually means. Does gender refer to the two traditional genders (man & woman) or are they thinking of equality in the "woke" gender self ID version of the word, whereby anyone can just declare their gender irrespective of their biological sex. Gender fluid transgender etc ...

For the context of the Gender equality referendum surely the word gender needs clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

A no vote would basically set women's rights back 100 years, I'm amazed it's even a question at this point.

A no vote, since it would change nothing at all, would leave women's rights in the exact same position they are today, actually.

Women in Ireland have the same rights as pretty much every other Western country, and in places that they may be lacking they will not be ameliorated by this farce of a referedum, the result of which (if yes) will only be to remove any recognition of women's non-employment contribution to society from the constitution. Since that recognition is one of the few ways that the constitution currently recognises all women and not just those in the middle-and-higher class bands who choose career, it would be a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

A no vote, which would keep the constitution exactly the same, would somehow manage to set women's rights back 100 years?

Scary if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Ok. I'll bite. How would a no vote set womens right back 100 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

the constitution was written when women were basically livestock and had no rights, a no vote is essentially endorsing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

But you said it would set women's rights back 100 years....explain that please? What rights will women lose if we see a no vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You do realise that since 2015 it is the law in this country that anyone can change their gender based on self determination?

So, I would think they are thinking of the law.

Advertisement