Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

The co board is already in massive debt due to the stand, I don't think there's any appetite to increase that debt for the sake of plastic seats.

Any development works will likely be on the "centre of excellence" or training centre to the rear of the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

The blue seats on the McHale Road side were originally in the stand.They had to take about 1000 out of the stand as there weren't sufficient walkways.You can see it in pics of the 1st year or two of the stands existence.

There's no appetite to do anything more with the stadium because they made such a hames of the finance side of it first time round.The debt on the stadium and levy on clubs is projected to go till about 2060.More than 50 years after the stand opened, its the single biggest obstacle to Mayo staying at the top table.That money can't be used for centre of excellence, GPOs etc.

Roscommon will open a refurbished stand with a bigger capacity than our stand next month.It cost 10% of what we paid and is mostly self funded,no debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I'd actually love to see him used as an impact sub*. I just don't like (lazy) journalism/comments making it look like an open and shut case (even if a majority might agree with it), not discussing the nuances of it or pointing out failings/facts that aren't true (Suggesting Aidan going out for throw ups is Aidan showing he doesn't want to play full-forward is farcicle stuff. That's a management call based around giving us the greatest opportunity for possession/scoring. Nothing to do with Aidan's playing preferences at midfield/FF). Seeing people writing off a player in February who was probably the club player of the year just gone (kicking all sorts of frees in the process), was right up there in the top 3 as Mayo player of the year last year and has only just returned from holidays and still not near top gear is just odd to me.

Lots of reasons not to want Aidan starting. Maximising his potential late on (ageing legs take a serious toll) and introducing more movement/pace into the forward line two big ones but the biggest for me is using him can weaken us defensively at times. Ironically enough, when this was one of Aidan's strengths for the vast majority of his career.

Last year when we were coughing up numerous goal chances they were coming from a large variety of sources. Part of that was familiarising ourselves with a new defensive system, part was the system itself being demanding and relatively unforgiving to mistakes and part was individual errors. The most common of the individual errors was Aidan getting breached around the middle (Conor Loftus' lack of defensive strengths/pace at CHB second by a distance and both of those well clear of any other repeated cause), causing an overload chain along the lines we'd then need our scramble defence to cover which wasn't working out often enough (having 2 of Coen and Loftus lacking some pace probably didn't help there either so you'd hope we'd be closing more of those doors this year regardless). We haven't seen it yet in Salthill or Castlebar so perhaps they've made steps to resolve it but I'd fear it's still a major issue we have with Aidan at full forward. If we're going to use him there I'd like to see us locking him on the edge of the square and giving the opposition the question of what to do with that rather than giving them a (relatively) easy breach around the middle.

Any discussion of whether we do or don't play him, especially one from a journalist in a newspaper, should be (even briefly) looking at the pros too, something that editorial badly lacked. When used properly in there, Aidan is our most potent attacking threat. He won't score 1-6 a game like Cillian/Ryan and often won't score 2 or 3 like Tommy or Jordan.... but he's currently looking (still) our best bet of getting those lads putting up those scores and the best option to maximise our overall scoring.

He requires a fairly specific matchup that often pushes teams to break up their normal defensive unit. He causes them to have to tweak other defensive plans (instead of a sweeper sitting on the D it now has to be 15 yards deeper or they need a 2nd sweeper) or risk getting taken apart as many experienced last year in the league (easily could have happened against Dublin too if he hadn't uncharacteristically fumbled a few and others weren't poorly kicked straight to a sweeper when a ball was never on). Sure, lots of games he might/will get swallowed up in there with bodies... but at that point it's up to the lads not being swamped to make hay. Something for lads like Tommy/Jordan/Jack/Bob/Diarmuid/Paddy/Sam or 'the team' to capitalise on.

*The most important part of discussions about not using him for frees or not using him at FF is who you're replacing him with. I've said it in the past, anyone calling for someone to be dropped and not giving the specific change they'd like to see is being disingenuous at best.

Until we see one of Carr (pace & direct running to beat 1v1s & create overloads), McHale (probably offering the most creativity to potentially unlock goal chances for others) or CO'C (longer range shooting) lay down a claim to the jersey (Cillian you'd imagine the closest but yet to recapture form at club or county since his injury - he looked bright & seemed to cause problems in the brief cameo against Dublin.... hard to know whether the multiple misses will spur him on or sap his confidence further. 50/50 but you'd imagine he's mentally strong enough for it to be a motivation) it's hard to justify calls for dropping Aidan. We absolutely need to try the lads in there (at least when they're back fully fit) but we should be looking for them to stand up and make themselves a must pick rather than attempting to attack the confidence of who's currently in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes,something like that would be great,similar to the Mackay stand in Limerick.

Im really interested in stadiums and GAA stadiums especially.

As a Mayo fan they did a half decent job on MacHale Park,there's a lot I would have done differently but the financial side of things really leaves a sour test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Westernview

Your reply is so long winded and contradictory that it's difficult to reply to. You said in the first line that you'd love to see Aidan as an impact sub. Well that's what Laffey and myself are saying. But later on you say it's hard to justify dropping him. And giving an opinion on whether he should start or be on the bench is not attacking his confidence. Its just an opinion on team selection. Otherwise by the same yardstick you would be accused of attacking the confidence of conor Loftus - which you clearly weren't.

Also after all the managers he has played under over 14 years there is little need for pros and cons 'nuance'. Your views remind me of Billy Joe Paddens repeated opinion that managements are not using Aidan correctly. Well that ship has sailed but its still the discussion for some.

Post edited by Westernview on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is there anywhere I can follow the schools final ?

Gerald’s won by two . I seen their Junior team win Connacht before Xmas. They have some savage forwards

Not sure where you felt a contradiction was.

I'd love to see him being an impact sub. I mentioned the cons why (they've changed dramatically over the years so a whole new chat) & the pros of him playing (again, a whole new conversation). Then suggested that until we get someone pushing him out (two of which aren't fully fit and another in a poor run of form - even when fully fit from everything we've seen the last two years at club and county) he'll continue starting, despite those limitations.

St. Gerald's did incredibly well in the Connacht Final.

Horrid conditions down in Bekan with a driving cross field wind a struggle to deal with playing in either direction. Both sides managed to pick out some fantastic scores in spite of the conditions and put on a very enjoyable contest. The Gerald's setup and structure done an unbelievable job keeping the likes of Monaghan and Curley underwraps (Diarmuid O'Connor might have a future in this football craic yet). Yousif Coghill (was Eanna Monaghan's shadow all day), Dara Neary (some absolutely incredible scores) and Gavin Forry (a staggering number of possessions and interceptions in the second half) probably just the pick of the bunch but the whole team deserving of great credit for the seriously hard work to grind out the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Its 2024, and many "elite" GAA county's are forking out incredible sums on backroom staff.. (border-line professional level)

We are splashing out 300k on a pitch that was waterlogged inside 12 months of completion ;-), Media room was also leaking water, tripping electricity,

(No accountability or breakdown of where the money actually was spent ) ... but gradually adding a few hundred plastic seats every season until completion would financially tip us over the edge somehow .... so now our fans have to suck it up for previous past mistakes , and sit our Backsides on Wet Concrete & Moss on a Winter night.

Where's the ambition , or should i say a common sense approach ?

We are letting these Crooks away with murder because we allow them.

Post edited by Be-Jaysus on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jesus, didn't realise things were that bad. What an absolute **** show!

The debt is such a noose around the neck of any plans for progress. We are in danger of falling behind in terms of stadium improvements and playing/coaching facilities.

In contrast Galway are looking to build a centre excellence at the former Galway airport site. And that's in addition to the Renville development announced last year.

https://hoganstand.com/article/index/330627

https://www.galwaybeo.ie/sport/gaa/galway-gaa-getting-sports-centre-8280335

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Not sure Galway is the best county to compare against. Plenty of issues with Pearse stadium. I believe that Renville project is a club specific project and the Galway Airport one is a long long way off ever becoming reality.

They have their issues but at least they have stuff in the pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Renville is Oranmore Maree GAA club. They are a long way off funding the full project but the best of luck to them. They have significant membership and it is needed.

The Galway airport site is a long shot from a funding perspective but it's good that some group has stuck up their hands for the site. It could be a fabulous facility for the county and the wider sporting community if approached correctly.

Galway still have a few financial issues to sort through, more significant than ourselves I'd think.

• Advertisement

The Galway Airport thing will not happen.

They must be in dire straits if they are in deeper debt than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Wasn't Pat Mc Donagh wondering where the money was going a while back?

Didn't hear that. Did he withdraw his sponsorship?

Armagh announced commencement of €11 Centre of excellence on the RTE new this evening.

I'd have to imagine they're talking about the stuff back in 2019.

They've since singed a new 5 year deal in 2022 so can't imagine McDonagh's issues were too serious.

• Advertisement

Mustn't be. McDonagh wouldn't put his money into a dodgy set up.

Are there any other 'county' grounds in Mayo when you take McHale Park out of it? Or are the rest of them club grounds? It always surprised me that Mayo didnt have their own training complex for their county teams to train in. I think that should probably be the priority in Mayo rather than doing anything to McHale Park right now

I don't think the board owns much land other than MacHale park and the back pitches. It's mainly clubs owning their own land and a lot of those are struggling to provide enough pitches for themselves.

The board looked into acquiring land to develop 4 pitches at Lough Lannagh a few years ago but following a review during Liam Moffatt's tenure it was decided not to proceed. A correct decision IMO as the land down there is very marshy and traffic issues would probably have been an issue.

I think a land bank outside Castlebar, possibly off the new bypass would be ideal in terms of accessability but as we know funds are very limited. It's a real problem as there are so many pitches needed now for adult and underage teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

McHale Park itself was a club ground until recently enough, it wasn't until the mid 2000's iirc that Mayo GAA took out a long term lease / control imo.

The ironic thing about that takeover was that part of the reason was to relieve the Mitchells of debt of a couple of hundred thousand euros. The board then recklessly ran up a debt of over €11m. Disastrous.

And no other grounds, no. Until they got control of McHale Park, the chaos of the Mayo team "finding a pitch to train on" was a fairly regular thing iirc. I certainly remember it from my youth in the 90's.

Yeah, its interesting that they never developed anything down through the years. As far as I am aware (and am open to correction), Galway have 4 'county' grounds in Pearse, Tuam, Athenry, Ballinasloe that are independent of any club. And then you have a training centre just outside Claregalway. Perhaps it evolved that way in Galway due to there being strong football & hurling presences in different parts of the county. It is a poor reflection on those who ran Mayo football that they dont have their own training centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Pretty sure that Tuam, Athenry and Ballinalsoe are not independent of the local clubs.

Ballina would be on a par with Ballinasloe and Athenry I'd say.

Speaking of lack of training pitches & to give it perspective....

If anyone here is with a club that might be in a position to help out with some of the underage teams please do reach out to Donal Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tuam and Athenry are, with the local clubs having their own separate facilities. Not sure about Ballinasloe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So let's get away from Galway ground talk and talk about the team

I had completely forgotten about Plunkett, had a great league five years ago but I can't remember what happened since.

I'd really like to see Aiden O'Shea start on the bench and show us what he can do as an impact sub, but alas I think he'll continue to start in the FF line for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

l

Apart from Ruane,Durcan that Looks close to what Mayo will be starting with come championship time. Maybe a role in the team for Sam Callinan, Rory Brickenden but watching both in action on Wednesday in the Sigerson cup final I don't think it would be wise to play them at 3 or 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

No offence but if you think Callinan won't be starting for Mayo this summer, you're way off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

My point is if starting in the summer or brought on I don't think playing in a core position in the team will get the best out of of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Sure his best games for Mayo so far were when he marked Shane Walsh and Sean O'Shea. Is that not a core position when put on the opposition's number 11?

Enjoy the game for anyone travelling! Watch out for angry Mexicans around Tralee.

All out again with the team sheet.

Our competitors will once again be able to read us like a book come championship.

The cauldron of Kerry would have been perfect for some of the the young bucks to gain experience.

Decent result for the ladies in kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

All out again with the team sheet.

Our competitors will once again be able to read us like a book come championship

Kerry are doing exactly the same, an almost championship team out tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Any recomendations for a good pub in Dublin to watch the match?

Depends on where in the city you are tbh. Ryans on Camden Street might be decent if you're around there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Anything on the north side? Im on parnell street

Wouldn't be too familiar with that area but you could try Briodys or the Celt. Might be worth asking on the Dublin thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Good luck to all travelling....had to give it a miss in the end... accomodation was proving tricky anyway and then the young fella picked up a cold so that put an end to a family trip to Tralee.

Had planned to pop in to the training session in Mungret yesterday evening but got stuck at work so was destined not to see Mayo in action it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The Woolshed on Parnell Street is good for soccer games anyway. Presume they'll be showing Mayo Kerry.

Kerry need to use the league as they have no competition in Munster.

Mayo on the other hand have a slog it out in Connacht just to get to the knockout stages of the All Ireland series ,and if they get there our players are burnt out & out of ideas when the main game plan is nullified at the business end of the season.

We as fans cannot continue showing ignorance when repeated mistakes are been repeated..

Poor enough game so far 😕

Callinan looking decent

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

No roaming from Reape today. Well, you wouldn't with that forward line!

Post edited by Quiet Achiever on

Disappointing result in the end but much better performance in the second half.

Brickenden kicking away that free in injury time was costly, hopefully he'll learn from it

• Advertisement
Advertisement