Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can you name any country in Europe that is taking active steps to stop its population from growing? It seems a bit bonkers - many countries are struggling with ageing populations, a forthcoming pensions timebomb, actual depopulation etc and yet people in Ireland are urging the Govt to take radical steps to halt population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭combat14

if the irish people are urging a halt (not that anyone asked us) the government should urgently listen

the population here has increased 10% over the last 10 years people want to insure adequate housing and other facilites before welcoming another million new comers

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

And doctors are leaving the country in droves and when you're giving out medical cards to any Tom Dick and Harry who shouldn't be in the country, you'll be waiting weeks, months for an appointment and in the end you may never get one

School places will be hard to get as they'll priorities asylum seekers over Irish

You go to the local pharmacy and waiting ages and ages because you have asylum seekers who don't have a spec of English and the poor old Pharmacist trying their best but getting no where

Ireland is full, it's just full to effing brink

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is the big 'secret' no one wants to openly address. That is the collapse of birth rates across the western world. Why has this happened? Because of social changes over the intervening decades.

It's a cumulative effect of change after change not considering the impact on births. Women in careers, abortion, educational changes...all of these things may have there positives but there is a very dark side to all of them and that is less children. That is what it all adds up to.

We can't have our cake and eat it. Serious decisions need to be made regarding how we get back to replacement rate of population growth.

The fact of the matter is all the immigration in the world won't save us from the demographic disaster that's coming unless radical changes occur.

Mass immigration is a temporary sticking plaster that western governments need because they are afraid to tell the home truths and act on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

When the Irish government, and successive Irish governments through their policies and actions deemed that a one-taxpayer household is less desirable than a triple-payer household we lost the opportunity of population self-replacement level.

What increases to child benefit have been awarded in the last decade? Answer is SFA.

Why is our government paying GPs €450 to dispense abortion pills whereas they are paid €250 to care for a pregnant woman?

Where are the active steps to help the indigenous population from growing, let alone remain static, coming from the current administration?

• Advertisement

Spot on Kermit. Much ridiculed Viktor Orban of Hungary was very much lambasted for implementing financial policies to address such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't disagree with any of your points, but all of this suggests that it is successive FF and FG governments who have messed up. Identifying 'immigration' as the problem is surely flawed - most problems have come about through poor long term strategic planning and bad decision making, not the amount of immigrants who have arrived.

Really? The lack of housing for a starts is helped by heaping more demand for housing by encouraging more people moving here? Tell me you're not a real estate agent without telling me!

I think this government had a choice to let people have higher salaries with reduced tax, but instead it's gone down the road of keeping Paddy poor and bringing in loads of low skilled immigration into the country, who need to be housed, sheltered and taken care of. That money should of gone to education, innovation and public infrastructure. We are too dependent on multi national companies, when the full OECD tax rules kicks in it's going to be pain. All the stupid money for HAP, asylum seekers etc., will collapse. We have elected leaders who would be better off running a charity organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Because what is happening with immigration is a massively visible consequence of poor planning and bad decision making.

Its more of throw money at a problem and to hell with the consequences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

These contracts won’t be ending any time soon. They’ll just roll over year after year.

Seaside town most local to me took in some of the first Ukrainian refugees this time 2 years ago. Soon after these establishments stopped taking tourist bookings completely and closed the public bar and restaurant. There’s no sign of that ending.

Only a skeleton staff required too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I don't know anyone choosing to not have kids for financial reasons. Most couples I know have kids.

Only a few of us left in my social circlewith none and its because we don't want kids not because we can't afford them.

40 years ago there was no choice. If you didn't have kids it was medical. There's choice now that's why there's a drop in births imo not financial.

a tale of window shopping for the most loving country:

"The men, who are both in their 20s and give their names as Ahmed and Ahmadullah, were helped by other men already here, all asylum seekers. The two arrived on Monday after a “long journey”, having come via the United Kingdom."

They chose Ireland “because Irish people are very loving”.

https://archive.ph/Qs70S

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

This is disingenuous. You can't separate the two. The numbers of immigrants ARE a result of the decision making of FFFG & Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Obviously being coached to say these things to pull at the heartstrings,

The guy who has broken bones in his foot from being tortured back home, decided while he was on cruches to hovel thousands of miles across the world, more like fell off the back of a lorry,

Some people will believe anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It depends what age your circle is.

Their are 500,000 adults living at home, I would say a vast majority because of the housing crisis.

Most of the people I know in their 20s and early 30s are living at home.

Not many people would fancy having a child sharing their bedroom with them and I don't think the grandparents would be thrilled either.

I would imagine that's a much bigger reason births have dropped.

You could also look at the price of childcare if both parents want to work and say financially its not possible for a lot of people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The healthcare and housing crisis would exist with or without immigration. They're poorly managed and have historically been poorly managed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Theyre choosing to live at home though. They are choosing to say I'm doing x because I want y.

It's all choice because we have choice now. There was no choice 40 years ago and that's the real reason for the drop in births imo.

why arent the two who came from Afghanistan to UK not sent back to UK to be processed?

why were they let in here in the first place, they were safe in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Because we are a softer touch than the UK and we have a higher acceptance rate of AS claims. So they are going where they stand the best chances of being successful AND where they'll get the best deal.

This is entirely the governments doing, but I also don't trust civil servants not to engage in a rubber stamping exercise.

Our goose is well and truly cooked.

it is cooked now because there is no where for "applicants" to go other than tent cities the novelty of which will rapidly disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

You don't think more or less unconstrained inward migration puts a strain on housing and healthcare?

with almost a billion paid out to hotels etc. surely there needs to be a fully transparent list of where all our tax payers money is going - there is a huge smell of corruption, lack of transparency and over payments from this process that may need to be addressed by a future inquiry

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

This is Ireland. Once there's Irish tax payer contracts in the mix, transparency and accountability is null and void.

We're spending billions(setting aside 5.5 billion alone on Ukrainians), some limited companies are making a fortune. We'll continue to allow people to self deport and the crisis continue, it's a win win for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What makes you think all these people are choosing to live at home.

In the real world I see reports of record homelessness, people living on the streets and people being put shoved into old buildings and hotels.

You make it sound like we have loads of housing sitting idle and these people would rather live at home.

Which is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

we are a soft touch but also we have an obsession with been the good student of the class on an international stage. We are Spending billions on short term solutions while we can’t provide enough school places for kids with authism. I’ll know the pro immigration posters here will say how is that related, it’s the governments fault etc. My point being we can spend all this money no problems making instant millionaires out of hotel owners but we can’t do this for irish born citizens. we can’t solve these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Living at home to save money to buy a house takes time.

If they didnt need to save so much, they could move out earlier and have more kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement