Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, and it caused such a furor that they set up security to catch anyone doing it, and they did catch some people who. So these people are deep in the DoDo now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They probably make exceptions out of these people and conscript them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And then the lorry drivers go on strike.

This is how mass movements start. But it actually means getting out there in the first place. Granted Russian police guarrantee would beat the lard out of you but if the people want a difference there has to be movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The Russian economy is now short of 5 million people for the jobs vacancies.

If there's an opportunity for mass labour agitation in Russia to make Putin hurt and bring regime change. It's now.

You'd be better off just leaving the country. Hurts them in every way. Many good Russians left their homeland because they couldn't support the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's quite interesting. The president who resigned was Orban's ally, but her resignation didn't stop the outrage - Fidesz preached traditional values, but then they pardon someone like that. Hungarians aren't stupid, and it seems to be a big blunder by Fidesz.

Orban doesn't really have many allies in the EU after the government change in Poland. I don't know enough about Hungarian politics to comment on whether there's enough opposition to change things, but at least this is pretty bad for Orban.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭eire4

Ireland is not a neutral country. We are militarily not part of any alliance. But we are and have made it very clear we are very much part of the democracies of this world and stand against the oppressive authoritarian dictatorships of which Russia is one.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I was watching this video on YouTube, it mentions how influencers like Denys and combat veteran etc., are raking in the money by keeping a pro Ukrainian view. I think at the end of the day, it is a business model for them, while their viewers are emotionally attached to the Ukrainian outcome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q70AAal1ibw

Its Russia, and forget all that you have considered "normal" here in Ireland, or indeed the west generally. Its hard to fathom just how deep the corruption is unless you have actually been there and experienced it yourself. So, maybe the journalist / bystander gave the policeman some rubles, and then later the policeman had second thoughts about it and took a pic of the journalist / bystander, just in case...you never know.

I'd be inclined to agree with you...ultimately, he will be held as a party to whatever monkey business was going on with the pardon. The killer bit is he obviously knew what was going on but by not stopping it, he is perceived as assisting in it. Its a serious black mark against him no matter what way you look at it, and for sure, there has to be a big section of the population that are not in favor of his actions in the EU, which threatens EU cash for Hungary.

• Advertisement

There will not be any workers going on strike in Putin's Russia, because Putin will consider strikes as an anti-Russian activity, and if there are not any laws presently, (I'm pretty sure that there are) Putin will introduce new laws PDQ, overnight if needed.

Russian society is already suffering from a lack of people in the workforce. Throughout this winter, the amount of malfunctioning heating systems in the cities reached an all-time high. No maintenance workers available, and this is only one sector, there's many more. Ordinary Russians are now starting to feel the bad effects of Putins war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really don't get how some people pretend the current model of the Russian war economy is sustainable.

Russia's GDP is completely average for a country of its size.

Sure, their form of Government means they can pump money into military funding in a way that democractic countries cannot.

But it's finite. There is only so much pushing around of roubles you can do on a limited economy for so long. What are they spending now on military. 30%? That's completely, 100%, unsustainable in even the medium term.

This wierd persistent myth that they're some sort of superpower is perplexing.

I would say the fact they're 2 years into a war against their poor neighbour and faring badly is more or less the ultimate fact of the matter that can't be danced around. I note China, despite its support in some aspects, is shocked at the terrible performance of the Russian army. I say shocked, but to some degree, I would say delighted.

Putin is still going because he has no other choice, no more than Hitler felt he had no choice after 1943. That's pretty much it. There isn't a future for Putin if he admits defeat and withdraws in humiliation. But of course there is a future for Russia, and obviously, a better future.

But Putin won't allow that. Like Hitler he'd likely be content to see Russia burn and spin his tale of woe, betrayal, blame his generals, blame the people, before he'd admit that he made a monumental, for the history books, blunder by invading.

Also the west is never going to supply Ukraine with actual war-winning weapons. It's pretty obvious that the strategy is for Russia to burn out and retreat of their own accord and admit defeat.

Ukraine suddenly getting an influx of war-winning weapons is a receipe for nuclear disaster by a vengeful maniac and not really sure why people don't get that. The goal is for Russia to reach collapse stage and be forced to withdraw.

Not very nice for the people and soldiers of Ukraine but it's realistic.

They're not a super power but they've insane stockpiles of equipment from the soviet era. Thankfully after almost 2 years much of that has been wiped out. If this war last another 2 year's you'll see a hell of a lot more t62 and maybe evenea few t56 tanks on the march.

And by then NK won't have any artillery left to spare either. It's a dark moment now but there are 3 things which will help maintain Ukraine. Western fighter jets, renewed American support and Taurus missile's from Germany. I really wish Germany would give those missiles to give Ukraine a few short term victory's after losing Avdiivka. I'd love to see the Crimean bridge fall on election day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Willy OAM - quite the update, not looking for Ukraine here , there could be a couple of thousand prisoners when the dust settles here.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

They've now withdrawn from the town completely. If that's not a collapse of resistance I don't know what is, I'm sure you'll find some positive spin to put on it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's bad news but how much Russian fertiliser did it take to control the town? As always with these russian "successes" they are more than likely utter Pyrrhic.

A lot of Ukrainians will have died too for the futile defence. And the same thing was said after Bakhmut, that Russian manpower loss was unsustainable and there'd be no repeats. And look.

Anyway, the whole thing is terribly sad, while I'm sure Putin and his gang of criminals sleep soundly in their beds, the most prominent opposition leader murdered alongside all the dead Ukrainians and their own soldiers, none of whom matter a damn to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah I would have thought that with Bakhmut Russia has won a Pyrrhic victory and be unable to launch a massive offensive again, that they'd be a spent force.

Yet here we are.

Russia has once again proven it can muster up huge quantities of troops and weaponry to push on. Its caused them a lot in both , but they accomplished their goals.

The rumours of a lot of heavy Western equipment and possibly 2000 captured is very worrying. As are chats the Russians continue to advance towards Yor.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

You can use the term collapse in resistance in place of withdrawal if that is what you prefer. The losses in putin's forces in Ukraine did spike yesterday and the day before so that would fit in with a major assault somewhere along the front lines. Hopefully Ukraine having being defending this area for ten years against attack from putin's forces means their withdrawal plan was well prepared and their fall back positions are capable of containing any further attacks. I would trust the judgement of the armed forces of Ukraine that if this area is no longer worth keeping in the face of repeated assaults then a withdrawal might allow more damage to putin's war machine.

• Advertisement

As I expected, you try to put a positive spin on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A lot of Ukrainians will have died too for the futile defence.

Undoubtedly and I'm not trying to mask defeat as a secret victory but it is always keeping in mind Russia's payment for these "gains". This wasn't the Soviet army of yore, roaring through Eastern Europe on the way to Berlin; I daresay Ukrainian losses were a percentile of Russia's.

Russia obviously have a depth here that Ukraine doesn't but if the headlines are telling of Nepalese volunteers we're not exactly talking of an army in rude health. Moscow will eventually run out of forces it can send that aren't the Moscow/Petersburg middle class.

And tens of thousands of Ukrainians died or were injured in the failed counter offensive. Both sides suffered horrible losses and are seriously stretched

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Is it really so difficult to just assassinate Putin?

Surely if a proper effort was made to off him it could be done and it would help end the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I get Ardivka has fallen and that’s just war but if they left 2000 men there with loads of equipment and didn’t pull them out in time, well that’s really poor leadership and worrying for the overall strategy and direction of the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

He's an idiot.. Touting the line "but other people did bad stuff as well " regarding Navalny

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"A lot of Ukrainians will have died too for the futile defence"

How was it a "futile defence"

Should Ukrainian troops pull back at the first sight of Russian troops? Should they just surrender and let Russia take the country?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement