Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,409 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,177 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think I'd still go with Salah on the bench myself, ease him back in before the final.

this might be a game for Gakpo to start with his size.

No way should Salah start. 10-15 minutes at the end would be more than enough.

I'd go with Gakpo, Nunez and Diaz to start and Jota in early for Nunez and Salah for Diaz late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

No way would I be taking Nunez off early unless he is having a stinker

I mean around 60 minutes. It's more to keep him going and make sure Jota gets minutes as well. Then Diaz can get a break bringing on Salah. Gakpo hasn't played as much as the others so he should be fine for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Will Liverpool Luton be on TV on Wednesday evening?

Klopp got manager of the month as well. Jota got the player of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

No. Stupid one, because it wasn't picked in its original slot they're not allowed to show it once it moves. Think there's some rule about not showing PL games when the CL is on, too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

It'll definitely be on a foreign channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭antimatterx

They want to stop dodgy boxes but won't give us paid access to every match. It makes no sense.

Make the content accessible

I cannot work out why the Premier League haven't brought the broadcasting in-house. Set up their own streaming company, show every game live (except 3pm in the UK, but sod them 🤣)

They could probably charge less than current sky/BT subscriptions and still make more money

Rumours of Allison hamstring injury.

Gonna have about 18 hours of nightmares of Brentford set pieces now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cmon bro don’t ruin my weekend like that 🥲

Can't ruin your weekend if I do it on a Friday

But then also here's me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yeah...some fella was saying that over in the FPL thread alright 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Klopp did discuss the story floating around about our injuries and the players being forced back to play when not ready, seems like it must have gotten traction if he felt it needed to be addressed. This is what he said,

"I think we have to clarify a little bit... I was not really aware of it but I got now, somehow, the news as well there was a discussion we might have forced Trent back because two setbacks, that's true and it's really unfortunate then, nobody wants that and nobody is doing that," he said.

"But different cases, different scenarios and as long as I'm here we never forced anyone back and we will never do. We work in a high-performance area; it's like, if you [the journalist] have the same injury, you are fit after three days but the guys after four weeks because they have to sprint and stuff like this, whatever injury it is.

"It's always about that and we always try to catch the earliest moment. Unfortunately when we catch that moment, nobody speaks about it. Like with Macca, now recently with Diogo. That's a job we have to do.

"That’s pretty much all, but the last decision is then always by the player. If you would always listen only to the player then the players would play after two weeks and then it's a real problem.

"The boys were, in the moment when they played, fit but the situation told us differently because it happened again. We will never know if it would have happened anyway or it just happened because there was something before. We will never know.

"Very, very unlucky and unfortunate, absolutely. I had it a couple of times in my time as a manager, not only here. It can happen, it's not great but nothing else. It says nothing about the quality of anybody; the world we are living in [people may say], 'The medical department... I am not sure about that...' It has nothing to do with that.

"We have to bring the boys back as soon as possible but never sooner than they are ready, from our point of view."

From here,

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/press-conference-klopps-update-alexander-arnold-salah-and-szoboszlai-fitness

So going out to defend the medical department and then confirming that it is up to the player to confirm he is ready if he has been cleared to play by the medics. That could be shifting the blame, then again you will hear people say that the player will know their own body the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

By goalkeeper standards, Allison seems quite injury prone. Seems to get a couple knocks every season.

Kelleher was going to play the cup final anyway and we should be ok at home to Luton but Brentford away tomorrow looks increasingly tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Certainly with their set prices seeming to be a big asset for em, probably means Gomez starts instead of Bradley is so. Caoimh had a good game against Burnley to be fair. Run of games will do him no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Make or break for Kelleher?? Perhaps? A huge test for him given the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

We have very little luck it has to be said.

• Advertisement

Is it bad luck or are players being pushed too hard in training and their bodies can't take the workload? It will be interesting to see our injury record next season under a new manager

That's a disaster imo.

Really, really worried about this game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I feel for Kelleher in advance of this likely run of games. No matter what type of goal he concedes, he's likely to hear 'Alisson would have saved that.' Demoralising injury in the context of the season and tomorrow's fixture. Uncomfortable afternoon ahead. Perfect time to show what we're made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I don't get the whole questioning of the reasons for injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Caoimhin will surely pick up an injury in the next 2 games & then the real fun will begin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kelleher has a lot of experience. He's played in big games before and always looks calm. He has made mistakes - pretty sure Ali has aswell. We are far better with him in goal than other options we have available. I don't really worry about him. I worry about a few others and their mistakes more in fact.

Hopefully a fairly non eventful game with 3 points arriving at the final whistle.

Did you see Klopp's comments on Alonso yesterday? Surely he wouldn't give this full and effusive an answer if there wasn't a decent chance...? 🤔

Xabi is doing an incredible job. If there were not the rumours around, that’s completely independent, if you had asked me eight weeks ago about Xabi Alonso, I would have gone ‘Oh my God’.

The dinosaurs if you want, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola, maybe me, we will not do it - OK maybe Mourinho - but all the rest of us will not do it for the next 20 years. The next generation is already there and I would say Xabi is the stand-out in that department.

How quickly his team is that well-tuned, that impresses me. For the time it’s taken, he’s put his proper stamp on it.

Nobody knows if that’s always the way he wants to play or if it’s the way this team specifically plays. He’s not long enough in the business to tell, but obviously the coaching part is exceptional. That’s clear.

He’s a former world-class player, obviously from a coaching family as well, which helps a little bit, he was like a coach already when he was playing. The football he’s playing, the teams he sets up, the transfers he did, it was all absolutely exceptional.

To be honest when we beat Bayern at Dortmund, it was a bit of defending very well, counter-attacking and taking the momentum. But Leverkusen were simply better. That was probably the real surprise given the short time he was there and the fact that it’s a young team.

He has made super signings for this team, exactly what they needed and that’s really a very special job. Everybody would say exactly the same. In Germany, they talk like this. Wow, that is really impressive.

Especially as they are in the semi-final of the German Cup, there is only one other Bundesliga team in it if Gladbach wins, so Leverkusen have a very good chance to win the Cup

Obviously when you look through the Europa League, Leverkusen are one of the favourites there as well so this could be THE season for Leverkusen. It’s really crazy.

Alonso seems to be everyone's choice,well the majority anyway.But what if he does become manager and then after 2-3 seasons Real come calling for him. Will he turn them down? He didn't as a player anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

No, but who would? Barca/Madrid have long been a bigger draw than Liverpool and that's not changing soon. If they want him after 2 or 3 years, we'll have had an enjoyable spell.

I don't think it's that clear cut. He might, of course, but I think there's a decent chance he'd stay too

Would he have gone as a player if Rafa hadn't tried to replace him with Gareth Barry? I'm not sure

Well if was to stay only 2-3 years then I would rather search somewhere else. It would only feel like a stop gap appointment and the speculation every summer on whether he is going would be an unnecessary distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sure you can have that discussion about any manager,no doubt it was had about klopp, you would need a crystal ball.

The average tenure of premier league managers is 2 years. The goals of hiring the best possible manager AND hiring one who has managing Liverpool as their peak career ambition are likely incompatible, unfortunately. Who else would you want beyond Alonso?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Xabi will be picked up by a bigger club this summer. He’ll either succeed or fail. I’d like it to be us that takes the gamble rather than some other team.

if it doesn’t work out, we’ll get Ange in 2 years. If does work out then it’ll be very sweet.

• Advertisement

Of course,it's only speculation and discussion at the moment

Amorin at Sporting Lisbon is doing a brilliant job and is someone who could come in under the radar and be a brilliant coach.

Just feel at the moment that if Alonso isn't our manager next season then everyone will be disappointed and see anyone else as a step down.

Now don't get me wrong,i think Alonso would be an excellent appointment if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Not confident at all about this one.

a win would be massive.

can only see city beating Chelsea

Bradley starts. Salah on bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I'd rather Gomez started LB instead of Robertson for more physicality presence at corners/free kicks and play Robertson Wednesday as I know he's had a week after playing but would still like to see him eased back in.

Bench looking much better now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really hope it’s not actually Jota on the right - he’s way more impactful in either of the two other positions, and Nunez and Diaz are both better than Jota on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Ya know what? I was also worried about this fixture but looking at that starting 11 I am strangely confident about this one. That is a strong team with players playing in their strongest positions, no faffing about with inside fullbacks etc. We have a DM in the DM spot. Only question mark is where Jota plays as he should probably be through the middle and we have Salah on the bench.

If we drop points here after me publicly stating I'm confident I am never showing confidence in public ever again!!!! 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Also I for one do not miss the thanks button one bit. If anything it just cuts out the stupid thanks whoring type posts from numpties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

With regards to Alonso, lads this is'nt Liverpool 2010 where we have to try and find a manager before he peaks, we are now one of the biggest draws in football(thanks to Klopp), we can attract almost any manager we want, IF we don't appoint Alonso it will be because we did'nt want to gamble on him.

Watched a short documentary during the week of Ange's progression, really impressed me, the man himself with the way he conducts himself is also impressive, i dont know if he would be on our shopping list but honestly either Alonso or Ange would be fine appointments.

And finally a word on today's game, 12:30 kick off and i'll be watching it, those two things almost guarantee we are going to lose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,515 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The bench looks strong again which is great, but I think leaving all of that height out of the starting XI might come back to bite us. I’d definitely have preferred to see Gomez and possibly even Gakpo in for Robbo and Diaz. Delighted to see Bradley back though, hope he can recapture his form and keep the momentum going with Trent out for a bit.

Advertisement