Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There's no maybe about it. A number of protests have called for refugees/asylum seekers to go home and have screamed intimidatingly "out out out" at a lot of the accomodation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Where is this happening? Have you a link or something?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s one of the main talking points in many cases. The UN are more closely aligned with the bulk of protesters now than the government, that should tell you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Ireland is not in a position to house any more people.

Ireland is not in a position to provide healthcare for any more people.

Ireland is not in a position to provide much of the public services required to service more people.

It isn't a trick question. It's reality.

Not at all. The UN would be concerned with humanitarianism, dignity, human rights. Vast majority of protesters wouldn't give a crap about any of those.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭Augme

The protests down the country have been demanding refugees aren't housed in their area and the roscrea was clearly about Ireland being full and we shouldn't be taking anymore asylum seekers.

Wrong. The vast majority of protesters In rural areas deeply care about those things. As with the UN the rural locals see how the asylum seekers are being denied that by the government. Dumping people in dives with no supports is not humanitarianism. The locals have supported asylum seekers in many areas that have been abandoned by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Scar001

Bus 3 times a week from Ballyvaughan to Ennis. Parks at Template. Not exactly Babushkas and kids either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Packrat is correct, I could take pics/videos but I wouldn't and not because its non factual but I wouldnt like myself or doings recorded. Nor am I villifying the refugees as its no fault of their own to be in the position they are in.

My question is one of transparency. Who pays, how much is paid, how long does payment last etc.

Ive kids both school going and adult. They dont gwt free shuttle services. Older ones cant get on the property ladder.

Where's the equality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Handing out Irish citizenship like smarties, no value placed on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

“If you have a situation where people are sleeping in tents on the street, versus the requirement we have as a country to house people who have left their own countries, it’s definitely a better alternative,” Mr Byrne said.

If Mr Byrne here is so concerned about IPAs sleeping in tents on the street, perhaps he could go further than this faux concern for them and provide his 78-bed facility free of charge to those IPAs he's so obviously worried about?

Not a chance though, is there?

Of all the hotels around the country who have magically converted to IPA housing, how many have had:

• Grants or incentives to build their hotels in the first place
    • Bail out for the developers when it all went breasts up in 2010
    • Availed of Covid-19 payments
    • Now coining it handsomely from housing IPAs

How much more money do these absolute leeches need from the Irish taxpayer?

Mr. Byrne here and his ilk have a neck like a jockey's bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like eamon ryan and co. are trying to wreck the economy

Dublin Airport – global airlines threaten to pull flights in row over passenger cap

the cap on passenger numbers must be lifted “if Ireland is to sustain and grow current levels of US tourism and foreign direct investment”.

the irony is there is such a shortage of accommodation in the country whats the point in bringing more tourists or business here anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I can't get a house. Been saving ages, have a good job and girlfriend is a teacher. Entire life on hold really — marriage, kids etc until we can get something sorted. Am I angry about that situation? Yes.

But, like most Irish people in my scenario (appreciating its not the same for all), I at least have somewhere to go if I really need to. Whether it's parents or friends or just coughing up rent, the strong likelihood is that I'd never be left in a position of having absolutely nowhere to go except the streets or a shelter.

Ukrainian refugees have left their homes and livelihoods behind. They aren't arriving here on an equal footing to most of us and so "equality" doesn't always mean that they should simply not get certain services or things for free or subsidised for a while just because we don't get them.

Like I'm not saying that a spend of €xyz is proportionate or an efficient use of money — I'm not saying that these shouldn't be reduced if there is not some form of solid reasoning for them. But 'equality' is nuanced when you are starting from different footholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Do you think that employers should be able to use this new labour market to undercut the employment prospects of young Irish workers? Particularly those who are starting out or Irish students looking for part time work to pay their way?

Maybe you think, well that's tough - if young Irish workers want to work, they'll just have to be willing to accept what the immigrants are prepared to take. And don't quote minimum wage rates and employment legislation at me. In real life, things often work differently at the lower end of the food chain.

Think before you answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Morning Ireland had a similar vox pop but seemed to find more sympathetic locals, several who referenced Irish emigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It was also instructive to hear how Pat Kenny and Claire Byrne's programmes dealt with the ongoing issues at RTE!

Strong editorial line on both matters from RTE, they definitely have a corporate view on how to communicate such things to the public.

the first paragraph says it all:

"I can't get a house. Been saving ages, have a good job and girlfriend is a teacher. Entire life on hold really — marriage, kids etc until we can get something sorted."

that is exactly what will guide young voters for right or wrong in the next election, countless "applicants" with no accommodation is only fuel on the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah, though personally I don't happen to believe that refugees are the key problem. They aren't the reason I can't get a house — the housing crisis and the bad policy and poor infrastructural planning long pre-exist this issue.

I can't speak for all people in my generation but if someone is trying to tell me that if you somehow remove a great number of refugees from Ireland, then the crisis ends and suddenly there's a whole bunch of affordable houses out there — I don't find that very compelling.

it is certainly a start in the right direction and will help restart our tourism industry too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So you are blaming refugees(this is the refugee thread after all) for employers in Ireland breaking employment legislation.

All while urging others to think before they post.

🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

In that article yesterday, Róisín McAleer of Social Rights Ireland an activist with group criticized the IPO practice of “allowing” asylum seekers to sleep rough despite there being “thousands of empty homes and buildings” in the State. McAleer said it was not right to expose vulnerable people “to the harsh threats of the elements, to the dangerous threats and abuse of passersby, and to the violent threats and harassment of racists”.

Today, Kitty Holland in another article: ‘They told me there is no space but I see all these empty places in Dublin. There is no mercy’ International protection applicants are arriving to find themselves living on the street. But ‘at least there are no bullets’. She spoke to two men in their 20's who gave their names as Ahmed and Ahmadullah, who were helped by other men who were already here, all asylum seekers. The two arrived on Monday after a “long journey”, having come from the United Kingdom.” These shoppers are being coached by the likes of McAleer and propagated by Kitty Holland who created a hoax story about an attack on a camp last year that never happened. At times I think Holland just submits her own Dear Diary moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

And the irish times will snap it up.

and they are only in the door 3 seconds and they have their own solicitor!!!!!! you couldn't make it up its a whole parasitic industry

Exclusionism, nimbyism, siding with extremist hate groups like National Party, Ireland First, Irish Freedom Party. Nah. They don't.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Well its not just Ukrainians and most of who I witnessed were of African origin, most likely Sudanese based on the womens attire.

Dont think there are direct flights from Sudan to Dublin....so how are they here.

In terms of equality Im talking services provided. You buy a house in a small town in the country lets say Kildare and you arent a local, you will find it nigh on impossible to find a GP that will accept you or a dentist.

Start a family, kids go to school, ypi and your spouse work, the school is in the opposite direction of your commute to work, a school bus would be ideal but youre told there isnt the resources for it and pool together with other parents and get quotes to hire one privately and rhe cost is astronomical so pointless..so you slog away too poor to be rich too rich to be poor but others land here and within hours have access to all that you cant have..........that kind of equality

Maybe you should talk to some of these asylum seekers that have been in the rural areas for a while now. Ask them how they are treated by the locals. You will be pleasantly surprised 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Person.

Would not watch a video about him.

Listened to him pontificating enough more times then I care to remember.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭Augme

How do refugees get instant access to GPs when they're allegedly full?

Oh I have spoken to many refugees and asylum seekers. I'm aware that many towns are struggling and have been very welcoming. Your point that the UN is siding with a lot of Irish protesters is not relevant at all and completely untrue.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So you are objecting to anyone posting what they claim is' a fact, ' being asked to back it up?!

Advertisement