Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

But not negotiated with Putin. He has to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Excellent if somewhat depressing article in the guardian about the response to Navalny's death both within and outside Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't really think capturing the 131st largest city in Ukraine in about 10 years is a display of Russian military might.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Clearly the USA need to start thinking like Putin, what is their hard focus. Are they in for this and if not, what are the consequences for the US if Russia prevails.

On another note I hear it reported that our own president https://president.ie/en/media-library/news-releases/statement-by-president-michael-d-higgins-on-the-death-of-alexei-navalny has stated that "The freedom to express dissenting views, be it on the structure or administration of society, is a fundamental tenet of a democracy and any accountable system."

Does our Michilín think that Russia is a democracy?? Kind worrying that this might be his idea of democracy, hopefully not a sign of things to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It doesn't but it's a sad reflection how Russia can make gains when supporting drops. The next big Russia assaults will be telling. They're lining up for Kupyansk, Chasiv Yar and Robotnye. Time will tell how successful they'll be.

We don't want a similar scenario to 2022 when they captured Popasna and started to make progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

You ever hear of strategic retreat, Rogber? Now had that been Putin, he would keep keep pumping Russians into it to try and hold it, same as Stalin did in Stalingrad. There's a time to fight, and a time to fold. The Ukrainians made the right decision, under the circumstances. Adrviika will still be there when they come back for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Mutual unwritten agreement not to kill each others leadership? I doubt that very much, seeing that there has been several assassination attempts on Zelenski's life. Best chance of killing Putin will come either from his inner circle, or the military. No one else will even get close. As for a sniper taking him our say during the may day parade at the Kremlin when he's on the balcony, more than likely it will be one of Putins doubles that gets killed / injured. At this stage, when you think of all the assassinations Putin has ordered, and the different methods used, he's beyond paranoid himself now I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Keep trying, Its a futile excercice.

Now, back to the point I asked you what bad tactics Ukraine used while defending Bakhmut and Adviika?

And why do you persist in incorrectly using the word futile? Is getting surrounded futile at worst? is having to retreat futile? if so why?

Why is creating kill zones and killing thousands upon thousands enemy soldiers from a relatively easy to defend position not a smart defence?

And how many would have died by now had Putin managed to take Ukraine??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I went looking for Irelands 131st latest city and all the lists stop at 100.

Athenry, population under 4000.

They are not even towns anymore.. their past glory preserved by old Google images and satellite data. piles of rubble is all that is left.

There's so grim reading from Ukrainian soldiers who've pulled out and it was depressing until I read the Russian soldier accounts who were on the attack. They've had it rough here and won't fancy a few more attacks like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A good tactical retreat would have occurred month or 2 back, werent the Ukraine trying to reinforce it up until recently? the risk now is they didnt all get out which would mean there was stubbornness at play or because of the funding issue with the US and it would have been a bad look.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ukraine used the time to build 4 defence lines west from adviika, The rest of your drivel comprises one assumption stacked on the other which in the end doesn't make for a coherent argument. imo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Like I mentioned before, I would trust Zelenski's military on the ground to make the right decisions regarding retreating or advancing etc. And all this big push by the Russians just to give a boost to Putin and his so-called election victory and anniversary of the invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭techdiver

It's just depressing. There seems to be no end in sight for this. I've never wanted a world leader to die a more painful death than that scumbag Putin.

I'm disillusionment comes from the fact that despite all the talk from the start of the war that "Russia only has 2 weeks of funds before it collapses etc" none of this has come to pass. Life seems normal in Moscow (whatever normal in that **** hole country is). We are now hearing again from posters that Russia is in financial trouble and can't afford this war long term yet none of the evidence do far has been proven as to Russias financial position. Where is the evidence that Russia had burned through is ammo stock pile and through its sovereign wealth fund? I'm gleefully looking forward to the collapse of Russia just like what happened to the USSR but I'm losing hope of seeing it happen.

Don't get me wrong. You are of course entitled to your own opinion but If you point out a potential risk and then somehow state that the potential risk was down to stubbornness without even knowing jack **** about what is going on I will call you out on that nonsense yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Heading into the third year of this war. Who would have seen it coming?

The military eagles said that both Ukraine and Russia could never sustain this level of men and materiel. The original 300,000 invasion force is probably nearly all dead. The equipment on the battlefield is twice as old as the unfortunates using it.

It's seems to be endless meat grinders for no name towns and villages. There's probably thousands of linked videos on this thread alone of drone dropping munitions on unsuspecting Russians, and hundreds of videos of tanks vehicles getting popped by artillery.

Utterly depressing, and we're all so far removed from it.

• Advertisement

IMO The problem with removing Putin boils down to how/what transition will take place. They do have nearly 6000 nuclear warheads, last thing you want is an uncontrolled transition of power with a lot of infighting. For now Russia is ''stable'. An unstable Russia would pose an even bigger danger to the world which could make the conflict in Ukraine a small one in comparison, I think its one of the reasons the US was drip-feeding Ukraine with aid in the hope Putin would come to his senses and pulled out. I rather have Putin at the reigns than an all out civil war within Russia or an even more unhinged puppet at the reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭techdiver

Suppose the difference on the Ukraine side was they have the west "supporting them" whereas Russia were going alone as such.

The problem as I see it is all the forecasts about Russias capability to rage long term war were wrong (now it has proven what a busted flush its military are, but that's a seperate story).

I know we want to believe anything negative about Russia and that makes spurious claims about the state or Russias economy, Putins so called health issues, revolt from within all to be bullshit so far. I've given up paying any credence to stories about Russias funds and weaponry running our as it's a broken record at this stage. I'll celebrate if/when it happens but I'm not buying into any of these stories any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

(Yes), I suppose that has been the US calculation about appropriate level of military aid to Ukraine (strategy of checking Russian moves indefinitely, vs alternative of go all in aiding Ukraine to win, let the chips fall where they may for Putin and Russian regime and rest of us on the day after [maybe unfortunate thing to call it!]).

Always thought it was very risky in its own way, and I think evidence is building that they messed it up, and as the war drags on events like the chaotic politics in Washington, Russia's ability to evade sanctions and willingness of autocratic allies to support them, are coming into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SYMETAL

The Tucker Carlson stuff is just embarrassing.

The videos of him going around Moscow talking about the supermarket and the subway station, it's very cringe.

Looks like the coke plant will be abandoned as well. Russia already raising flags in part of it.

But let's be honest as depressing as it is this tactic of defending settlements until they're destroyed then pulling back to a new one is exactly how the Russians won so many wars in the past.

• Moderators Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Azza

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This war is totally changing the thoughts about future wars. No one thought that artillery shells would be a factor or minefields. The US especially assumed that war would be high tech. I heard a discussion about a big rethink regarding North Korea & how they might be encouraged to attack the South based on the situation in Ukraine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

North Korea & how they might be encouraged to attack the South based on the situation in Ukraine

What madness is this? North Korea might ostensibly present as lunatic but they're not so mad in their head to think they should invade the South. They have absolutely no reason to, and know they're at a huge tactical and military disadvantage if shooting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

France fell in 6 weeks in 1940. Germany advanced from Poland to Moscow in 3 months in 1941. The allies advanced from Normandy to Berlin in 9 months in 1944/45. Measuring Russias advance as an aggressive force against those historic advances then their invasion has been an abject failure and utterly pointless. Therefore the 2 week predictions of the spring of 2022 are not far off the mark. This invasion effectively stalled in April 2022 . Putin is just keeping this invasion on life support but it is easily one of the slowest most cumbersome invasions of all time and most other countries would have thrown their hat at it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Without dragging the thread off topic but it is causing genuine worry as Kim's attitude has hardened. NK could devastate Seoul & Kim would be safe in a bunker. Like with Putin there is a sense of cultural destiny no matter how bonkers it may seem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement