Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway United thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

Cheers for the reply. I'd have thought there'd be a rush for the first home game back in the premier division, and v a dublin side. Anyway i'll l]keep an eye out. Sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any ground improvements taking place or place. Considering the team is back in the Premier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What improvements would you envisage? Bar something to keep away supporters off the pitch I don't think the ground needs much currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Wouldn't mind seeing the old stand re-engineered to remove the pillars. Spoils the view, especially when you're in the lower seats. Improved bar would be a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’d be great to see it raised like the Comer stand alright, but again, I suppose that’s the problem when only renting the ground. Can’t do much with it. I don’t think they can even change the food vendors!

Not been smart arsed but if your asking, a demolition of both stands and build a complete modern stand encircled ground is whats really needed. Despite been one of the better League of Ireland grounds its still way behind what we should be envisioning for the future. Serious money too of course!!

A more serious approach would be modernise the old stand and build a covered terrace to the left of the Comer.

I do dream of something like this though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Verlegh_Stadion#/media/File:20131027_Rat_Verlegh_Stadion.jpg

Pie in the sky isn't what you asked originally though. Sure we'd all love a great shiny stadium, but we don't have the demand or resources for that.

A covered terrace at the clubhouse end, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

These aren't just improvements though like throwing in the bar under the Comer stand, these are full redevelopments that'd end up costing probably the guts of a few million in the end and take a couple of years. We don't have anywhere near enough sellouts as it is to justify increasing capacity and a bigger issue is the club's hands are tied because the Galway FA own the ground, not the Comers (the less property those wasters have the better).

There's clubs that were knocking on the doors of Champions League qualification like Shelbourne in 04 and Dundalk more recently that couldn't justify the cost of improvements or buying out the grounds. Shams don't own Tallaght and look how long it took Bohs to get going on fixing up Dalymount.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to not have poles in the Old Stand myself but it's very unlikely they'd have the money to even just change support beams until they'd at least established themselves as regulars in the Premier Division. You're almost looking for a Sportsground-level development for a club averaging 2k fans a game.

Theres no harm in dreaming big though. If Galway United led the way for that vision imagine how it would transform the city, not just the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No sign of tickets online for Friday's game?

Hardly all gone already?

Was there not a sale today? I saw it advertised online but don’t know if it was for online or in the supporters shop.

I’m gutted to be away for this game, I’ll be watching it online from Spain!

Yep they were on sale at the ground again tonight from 6to9. Club have done theír best to keep remaining tickets out of Pat's fans hands. Can't do much more really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Home tickets on sale tonight between 5 and 8pm at EDP

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Lots of chatter on social media about this and it looks like tickets wont be sold online. Pats aren't happy with their allocation and the club are worried the tickets will be hoovered up by away fans if they go online. They are being sold from EDP this evening 5-8 and were for sale yesterday evening too.

I get why they are doing it, it makes it a bit awkward, but, sure look, old school buying paper tickets fun.

I'll head up there at the time

• Advertisement

It's not perfect but it's the fairest way to distribute tickets to as many Galway United fans as possible. I've a couple of Pats mates who still managed to get a few yesterday but will keep their heads down in the old stand near the away section.

I'd expect them to use this system for the big games for the remainder of the campaign too.

I just spotted this today, it was a game I’d of been keen to go to, but looks like it could be difficult to get tickets with so few available.

I think you'd be absolutely fine even if there's only 50 available tbh. We're a very poor travelling support (myself included as I work late most Fridays).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Did Galway United put a photo up of Edward McCarthy on their Social Media holding a Stop sign and then remove the post. I seen a screenshot and reckon it must be photo-shopped.

• Advertisement

I saw and of course know the history but why a stop sign.

Didnt get that at all, or is so obvious its was actually the worst attempt at humour ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

This one?

With a Driver , and Murder on the dancefloor as the music ...

I hope the admin/photographer got their a$$es kicked ....... Very disrespectful , and pure stupidity ...................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Player comes across in the worst light from all this. He could have said no to it so maybe it was some attempt at self deprecation that just didn't come across.

Absolute jokeshop how it was handled. Even the apology was belated. Player and the club deserve all the criticism being thrown their way for this fuckup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I still cannot believe they did it. Its hard to be PC all the time but if your responsibility is PR, they need to give up. That could be a volunteer or paid person. I hope the team get off to a good start and hope the supporters have an enjoyable season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Does the club have a full time PR officer? - they were awfully slow to publish a statement and from what I recall, they were slow to respond to a story last season or the season before too, I believe. I forget what it was but they put out a statement almost a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

It's a bit of a leap to link all this together as some sort of sick premeditated attempt at a joke. I'm sure many players take part in these kind of photoshoots and would pick up whatever prop they were told to without wondering how it was going to look.

You can't absolve the player from blame, whatever about the social media lads who may not have known the previous history. It's pure stupidity from Ed. The club should have gotten the apology out quicker and also gotten Ed to apologise and that would have been it. It's now a headline on The Independent FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt here as I said earlier the whole thing is a massive leap. Opposition fans are very good at finger wagging. Can't say I've heard anything negative about Ed since the accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Massive leap?? Really? Its very inappropriate at best ! And downright stupid at worst......

Its all about optics ..

Finger wagging? So you think its ok then ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Redkite200

Galway 8/5 St Pats 31/20

Not been following their pre season but surprised the established Prem side aren't a clearer fave. The traders pricing in the home atmosphere maybe.

I really don't know what to expect. Not able to attend sadly but hoping we can get at least one point on the board.

2-1 the Tribesmen.

Pricing seems odd to me. Pat's will be top 3 at the end of the season. I'd take 8th if you have it to me now. We'll struggle for goals I think, we won't be pretty, we should be solid though.

Hoping their keeper struggles under the high balls like last week and we can nick something from set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Was that post on social media supposed to be funny? If it wasn't an attempt at humour, why post it?

It’s definitely not gonna be as enjoyable a season as last year. I presume just staying up is the main goal this year!!

Best of luck to the lads. As we seen in the cup last year vs Bohs, the step up was pretty steep, though we did hammer Dundalk!!!

It's great to be back in the Prem, let’s enjoy it!

Exactly, all about picking up points against those around us and anything else is bonus territory. Our season won't be made or lost by the likes of Pat's or Rovers.

i bought mine on Monday eve at ED Park now i cant go. 2 adult tickets and 2 u12 tickets available, 50e for the 4. Collect in knocknacarra. PM if you want them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you get to town head to O'Briens, the owner might know someone looking for tickets. Might have a better chance of finding a taker as here can be quiet.

Good shout, won't be in town though. Hopefully will find a home for them.

Post it on the Galway Utd Supporters FB group. Theres a fairly good following there, you'd see people offering or looking for tickets there at times.

• Advertisement

Ugh!! Tough result. How was the atmosphere in EDP?

Watching on LOI TV, a couple of things non-play related: the camera angle from the gantry and the camera work in general is shocking! Is it still the automatic camera or was it a live person? Can’t see down the near touch line at all.

How is the pitch so bad for the first game of the season? Normally it’s top notch, but it looked terrible after 10 mins.

On the pitch, were caught bad for the goal, but not too bad after. The new signings looked ok when they came on. Costello looks to have fast feet.

Once again though, the “star” 🙄 of the show was the ref! Couldn’t buy a free all game, and even if Walshy told him what he really thought of him, it was a disgraceful red card. Could have had 3 pens in the game ( I think, looking from the crap camera angles)

A good few positives though, hopefully they regroup and refocus before next Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Haven't been following any news about United for a while. I have not heard much from John Caulfield re transfers but has he brought in many new players over the last few months to strengthen the squad? Do we have a squad strong enough to compete this year or is it a case of just trying to survive in the Premier Division? Where realistically will we finish the season?

None of the shouts for penalties were worthy ones. If any were given it would have been beyond soft. We huffed and puffed, never troubled their keeper. But we were solid, it's what we all knew going into the season, we'll struggle for goals but be relatively solid.

The camera in the old stand has always had the problem of not seeing the touchline, it's too close to the edge of it from above. No excuse for what Walshy did, it's brain dead stuff, he's played over 300 games and has never learned. onto next week.

Cheers Ben,

Thanks for clarifying, as I said, camera view was shocking, and even the misted over lens made things worse!

Still a soft red for basically shouting at the ref though! I’d say even Walshy was surprised to get his marching orders for it.

Before the game I’d have been happy with a point, other results mean it’s not so bad, let’s see how we progress!

Ya, look our season won't be defined by games against Rovers, Pat's et al. We need points in the games against Dundalk and Waterford. Bohs fans very downbeat after their game tonight. Saying Devine has 10 games max to sort it out.

• Advertisement

They weren't outclassed, but they never really troubled Pats either. I didn't think any of the penalties looked like stonewallers tbh. I thought the ref seemed to favour Pats a bit in the 50/50 decisions.

The red card came at a time in the second half were maybe they were threatening to build up a head of steam.

Overall, as losses go, it wasn't a terrible one. They competed and hopefully they can learn from it.

Your second paragraph is spot on. That's what's so galling about Walshy doing it, we'd finally created a half chance and then he goes and loses the head over nothing.

Its odd, there was obviously more than one camera. Not sure why they didn't cut away to the 2nd camera more often. It makes sense to film from that side as you can see the full stand but its no good being unable to see the action when the ball goes down the corner. May have been better seeing the empty stand.

Last season, the Ecofuel stand was empty most of the matches. I had brought it up with the club last season that matches on LOITV were typically showing a very empty stand whereas when at the matches last season, more often than not the Comer Stand was full. The head of RTE had said showing LoI was not appealing due to the visual presentation since facilities are subpar. The Ecofuel stand is pretty old. The Comer Stand looks great. They had said at that point that they required broadband for the stream at the connection was into the media box in the Comer Stand, thus why they filmed from that side. They were going to work on getting something set back up on the Ecofuel side which obviously happened but they seem to be operating primarily single camera. It would be great if they could stick another camera in the media box and switch when the ball goes down the corners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement