Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The increase for the vast majority is 3.2% for 2024. That is a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭bren2001

My gross wage will be 4.25% higher at the end of the year. That is a fact. Hence, I am getting a 4.25% pay rise in 2024. That is a fact.

I have never in my life heard of someone breaking down a pay rise like you have. A lot of my friends in the private sector have yearly reviews in September/October. When they get a pay rise that late in the year, they say "I got a 5% pay rise this year". They do not say "The effective payrise in 2024 for myself was 1.25% as it only started in October".

Define "vast majority". Any data to backup the breakdown of the Public Sector workforce?

What exactly is your contention anyway? my post was responding to someone saying ICTU are hypocritical calling for one thing for private workers and another for public. They're not. They're calling for the same thing.

You're not getting a 4.25% pay rise because the small increases are split up.

Look at your P60 in 2023 and then for 2024. The 2024 figure will be 3.2% higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Greyian

"Look at your P60 in 2023 and then for 2024. The 2024 figure will be 3.2% higher"

No it won't. And you know this, as it has been explained multiple times already.

Here is the Mathematics:

A person on €x per month on December 31st 2023 receives €12x in 2024 with no pay rises.

Under this deal a 2.5% pay rise (to €1.025x) from January 1st, a further 1% pay rise (to €1.03525x) on June 1st and a further 1% pay rise (to €1.0456025x) on October 1st sees their gross salary come to 5 x €1.025x + 4 x €1.03525x + 3 x €1.0456025x = €12.4028075x

€12.4028075x / €12x = 1.03357. . . . . a 3.357% increase which will be taxed FOUR TIMES with PAYE, USC, PRSI, Pension Levy.....Many public servants will be lucky if they see half of this percentage increase in their pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭_H80_GHT

This thread is embarrassing with numerous (what I'm assuming are adults) making fools of themselves.

"Look at your P60 in 2023 and then for 2024. The 2024 figure will be 3.2% higher."

Again, this is not the case. You seem to be suggesting the 2023 P60 will show 2023 earnings as equal to what the annual salary was at the end of 2023. That is not the case. It will show what was earned in 2023, which will be different to both the starting and ending salary for 2023, because "the small increases are split up" for 2023 as well.

You either compare 2023's pay received to 2024's pay received (which would be 4.6% gross for a AP @ Point 1, or 7.4% gross for a CO @ Point 1), or you count all the increases in the year in which they are given (which would be 4.25% for a PO @ Point 1, or a higher figure for a CO @ Point 1 (I don't feel like going back through the thread to find the exact calculation)).

And when I look at my gross salary it’s 4.25% higher.

I don’t know why you want a back and forth on this. We disagree and are clearly never going to agree so leave it.

Again, this is coming from the person who claimed inflation was over 6% in 2023 because of the average rate inflation. You see the CSOs figures during the week?

I really don’t understand Peters obsession with the 3.2%. Your analysis is perfectly fair and leads to an identical conclusion for Peter but of course he claims you’re wrong because “we would have gotten it anyway”.

Personally, I just prefer to look at gross wage 12 months apart, I don’t really care about the breakdown.

Is that a fact?

Even using your flawed method of calculation, that would only be accurate if the "vast majority" were on over €50,000 a year, as anyone on under €50,000 a year will get a €1,125/year raise (which is more than 2.25%) on Jan 1st under the proposed pay deal and also an increase of €500/year (which is more than 1%) on Oct 1st.

Have you got figures to suggest that the "vast majority" are on over €50,000/year?

• Advertisement

I've actually just realised Peter is calculating 2023 inflation by comparing each month in 2023 with the corresponding month in 2022, but is calculating 2024 pay increases by comparing each month in 2024 to December 2023.

So 2 completely different methodologies applied and then trying to compare the results, which by its very nature is not a fair/honest comparison.

Yeah, he is using the average rate of inflation which compares Jan to Jan, Feb to Feb and tried to claim that’s the inflation rate. Hasn’t rowed back on it either.

He then wants to take the December 31st paycheck and compare the monthly increase on that over the course of a year.

He then effectively compares those figures.

It makes no sense. The funny thing is, if he did it the correct way, he would still be right. The pay rise would not meet inflation over 2023 and 2024 but he just appears to want to argue his point instead of looking at what you are saying.

My "flawed method" of calculation?Don't think so.

And I don't think you can be taken seriously when the €1125 applies to those under €45000 and not under €50000.

It is true that those under €45000 will get higher percentage increases inversely proportional with their wage. €45000 is approx the median salary in Ireland. Half of all workers earn less than that.

1125/0.0225 = 50,000…

So not the “vast majority”. By your own assumptions, around 50% of works will receive a higher increase than the minimum outlined in the agreement?

You don’t actually have the Public Sector stats and are just guessing based off the median which may or may not translate to the public sector?

The increase in January 2024 is 2.25% or €1125 (whichever is greater). 2.25% of €50000 is €1125. So anyone on under €50000 (not €45000!) will get €1,125, which will be worth more than 2.25% to them.

If you're going to say "I don't think you can be taken seriously" because you think someone got a calculation wrong, I'd suggest you make sure you've got the calculation right yourself.

So those under €50000 will get a larger increase. Would you concede that your statement that "The increase for the vast majority is 3.2% for 2024. That is a fact." is incorrect?

Oh so it's a 2.25% increase backdated to January 1st?

I thought it was a 2.5% increase.

It seems this crap deal is even worse than I thought.

Its 2.25%. You called out Greyian with an incorrect fact. By your own logic, can you now not be taken seriously?

No data to backup your vast majority claim? 4th time of asking (3 by me, 1 by Greyian)

Post edited by bren2001 on

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Iggy1986

It’s beyond embarrassing, the same accounts over and over again. Grown adults! It’s a Saturday evening lads, get a life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

First thing I learnt in my current job. Never assume anything 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Has the AHCPS indicated when voting on the deal will happen? Forsa are starting next week but the AHCPS hasn’t updated since the breakdown of the talks in mid-January, that I know of.

• Advertisement

It's ridiculous.....probably trolls from the DPER as the same accounts keep claiming they're getting more money than they are in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I haven't seen anything from ACHPS, but (as I fully expected) Fórsa seem to be pushing it pretty hard.

I know its the Journal, but interesting read:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CivilCybil

I received my link to vote from Fórsa. The recommendation from them is to accept. I have voted against the deal. I don't believe it goes far enough towards the erosion of what my wage is worth over the last couple of years. Two civil servants in this house and we're struggling more than ever. Low enough earners as we're new to civil service.

I'm not sure if we'd get a better deal but my conscience won't let me vote yes knowing how much we're struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Just voted now. In favour.

As it's an electronic ballot I'd say the results or even which way it is swinging will be available rapidly enough.

Still expect it to fly through with 85% + of more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Although that is technically correct, the pay deal refers to "annualised earnings".

You are using annual earnings.

Its "technically correct" aside from:

• The deal is 2.25% from January 1st, not 2.5%.
    • Workers earning less than €50,000 pa will see a higher increase than this.
    • Lower paid workers will effectively see the direct percentage increase in their pockets compared to their net.
    • Higher paid workers will effectively see the direct percentage increase in their pockets compared to their net when you factor in the tax band changes in the last budget.

This also leaves aside the unfair comparison of how Peter compares this. Aside from all the things that are wrong, yeah, it's technically correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭shawki

7.25% by the end of 2025.

Its a no from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Tossed in my NO vote just now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

No for me

Advertisement