Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

One of the most ludicrous things going on is that refugees won't work because they will lose benefits. Surely they should be allowed keep benefits for a year once they get employment.

Same for accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And yet..

Other posters are annoyed people are being given bus transport from these ' dives' to shop for provisions?

Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Refugees get a medical card, as a medical card holder, the HSE assigns them to a doctor automatically, the GP doesn't get to say no thanks.

Ordinary working irish people don't get a medical card and have to pay out of pocket. They don't get assigned to a doctor and have to call around to numerous GP's hoping they find one that will take them on. In many cases, they'll have to travel some distance because all the GP's in the immediate vicinity are not taking new patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

That'll create an even bigger pull factor for the economic refugees.

Hell I'd apply to be a refugee in my own country if that was the case (I'd probably be successful too)

• Advertisement

I can see why you are so bitter about it.

That treatment for young families / people looking for housing needs to be stopped.

It has been going on for years now.

But directing your anger at other people is not the way to go.

Where are our ministers gone?

Minister for Housing rarely if ever appears in public except to cut a ribbon.

Minister Butler rarely pops up because older peoples and mental health sevices are detrriorating under her care.

Minister Donnelly has been silent for the last 6 months.

Minister Catherine Martin never says a word about hotels being used for refugees.

The only ones who ever say anytjing are McEntee and O'Gorman and Ryan and god knows maybe they need to ask somebody else to talk fir a while.

The cute silent hoors will be voted back in because in people's memories " they didn't do or say anything wrong." not " they didn't do any thing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

GPs do refuse additional medical card holders, that is true.

But you'll find alot of GPs now are no longer an individual practicing but actual large partnerships and businesses. Those are being sought out to provide services to refugees and distance isnt a factor as theyve a shuttle service.

This is the inequality Im talking about. Services are being found for one part of society at all costs due to international and EU agreements whereas the working person is left to flounder and struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Just No, there are enough pull factors as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was listening to a discussion about this on Newstalk during the week and the consensus was that problems with GP waiting lists had little or nothing to do with immigration or a growing population. It's down to GPs retiring much younger than they used to and not being replaced, plus young people training to be GPs but leaving the country as soon as they graduate. It has become a less fashionable profession than it used to be.

A growing population would scarcely even be an issue if they were finding new GPs to fill the places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Its not that the UN are siding with Irish protesters, it's that the bulk of rural protesters and the UN are now aligned on many opinions. Both are strongly against current government policies and recognise those policies as abuse of asylum seekers.

The rural areas will continue to support asylum seekers in the absence of government supports. When the pro government counter protesters leave after a protest, having helped no one, the local anti government policy protesters continue to support the asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Packrat

Wow. A handpicked group all from one side of the debate all agree that adding more people and giving them all medical cards doesnt put pressure on GP services! Whatever next!!

In other news water is wet.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's a lot more complex than that. The travelling far right circus who descend on towns to spread poisonous hate rhetoric exist too.

People protest for differing reasons. I think it's a massive oversimplification to say that rural protesters and the UNHCR are completely aligned on these issues.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

The travelling far right circus as you say are a problem but these are not the local protesters even though they are portrayed as such by government and media. I don't know how to stop the tiny number of far right guys, I guess in a democracy we just have to let them at it as long as they don't get involved in criminality.

Again, the rural protesters and UN agency are not completely aligned but are aligned on a few very important opinions. They are far more aligned than the Irish government and the UN agency, I think that is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You claimed that rural protesters are calling for regulation of accomodation. Never seen that anywhere. I think you are really trying to create something out of nothing to say that rural protesters and UNHCR are in agreement. UNHCR really has VERY differing views.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

"He said he had a wife and children but the journey was too dangerous for them. He hopes they will join him eventually in Ireland."

The journey is too dangerous so he leaves his wife with the Taliban, makes sense.

Mentions he arrived in from the UK. Wonder why he’d continue the perilous journey to here? Is the UK not a safe place?

Illustrates a good reason to vote no on the upcoming family referendum. You’ll have every chancer bringing their “family” founded on “durable relationships” over to get their freebies

If you were making a dangerous journey to a foreign country where you were not sure would you be accepted or not would you bring a wife and probably young children ?

Maybe , but also maybe not .

To say that leaving them behind while you apply for asylum in your choice of country....yes choice , because it is an asylum seekers right to choose where they wish to seek asylum ...is wrong is not your decision really.

And how desperate are these people to flee a regime that they do leave their families and come here to a rent on a street?

Many countries send their men on ahead and follow later as many Irish have done before.

You will say , ah here we are with the Irish emigrants ..different ...long time ago...something excuse something .

But it is not that long ago . Many of us had fathers and uncles illegal over in the US and elsewhere , sending money back home , unable to come home for family occasions , and trying to avoid getting caught and deported, up to as recently as the 1990s in my memory anyhow .

Some came home . Some died alone over there . Others were lucky enough to get citizenship/ greencards and bring their families over to join them .

Get over your privilege and have a bit of humanity .

I really am appalled by all the excuses you and others make to justify the rants against other humans on here .

The above l takes the biscuit for ne .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What world do you live in? I have to be careful not to critcise the poster, so let's just accept that the world of the younger Irish low skilled worker/student worker is a world apart from the employment conditions of those dismissing such concerns here.

Bringing their several wives/ partners, children, parents and parents of partners. And if anyone says boo, off to the courts to validate their rights under Roderic's new generous definition of the family. That man single handed is very dangerous for Irish society. Can Leo or Martin not prise him and the Greens away from his department and likewise Tourism - just fire them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Boo hoo, if they wanted a country free from the Taliban they should have stood up to them with the millions in US military equipment they received.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One of the handpicked group was a lifelong GP from County Monaghan.

How would a growing population be any sort of problem if they were bringing new GPs on board to replace retiring ones? Next you will be telling us that shortages of Gardai have been caused by immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Well, to be fair, RTE, Virgin and Newstalk and much of the Irish Media are in lockstep when it comes to discussing immigration issues. You're hardly going to get an opposing view there. It's what is known as confirmation bias.

I can understand how some folk are easily led astray when they place so much trust in Irish media. It's how the government and indeed the Church have gotten away with so much down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭Augme

Great to see the Irish Freedom Party are here to save the day. They use our oil and gas resources and everything will be hunky dory.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

If you were making a dangerous journey to a foreign country where you were not sure would you be accepted or not would you bring a wife and probably young children ?

Maybe , but also maybe not .

What's dangerous about a flight from London or Paris? Or the M1 down from Belfast?

To say that leaving them behind while you apply for asylum in your choice of country....yes choice , because it is an asylum seekers right to choose where they wish to seek asylum ...is wrong is not your decision really.

They can apply all they like, we have the right to refuse.

And how desperate are these people to flee a regime that they do leave their families and come here to a rent on a street?

Many countries send their men on ahead and follow later as many Irish have done before.

You will say , ah here we are with the Irish emigrants ..different ...long time ago...something excuse something .

But it is not that long ago . Many of us had fathers and uncles illegal over in the US and elsewhere , sending money back home , unable to come home for family occasions , and trying to avoid getting caught and deported, up to as recently as the 1990s in my memory anyhow .

Some came home . Some died alone over there . Others were lucky enough to get citizenship/ greencards and bring their families over to join them .

Irish people living illegally abroad should be deported - but that is up to the country to deport them.

Get over your privilege and have a bit of humanity .

What is this privilege you speak of? That sounds very like the church lecturing people to 'be grateful for what they have' back in the day. Most people in Ireland have what they have through hard graft and alot of it built too on the backs of generations who went before and worked even harder to build this country up from the ground.

Yeah . Built on the backs of those who went before exactly . And travelled and worked abroad . And these people with their money earned sent back money to help families at home . As well as those who stayed here and got through it .

And yes many lived illegally . There wasn't the same laws and immigration channels as there are now especially when you were not bringing much except your rucksack and a Leaving Cert I F you were lucky .

Don't talk to me about lecturing when you lecture me those people were wrong to do that .

Few enough families when I grew up didn't have somebody in that situation .

So yeah ...check your privilege. If you don't remember that you are privileged .

And have some humanity . Sadly lacking here with some people .

We are lucky to be in the country we are in, with the democracy and relative safety and wealth we have now.

It's not perfect but life usually isn't so people need to cop on and figure out what to do without demonising others .

There has to be a better way to deal with this than incessant whinging and blaming people less fortunate .

And you say Apply all you like we can refuse ..I agree and also that it's up to the country to deport them , yes it is.

But none of this is inhumane just due process .

Edit to add .. I am not saying we are obliged to take all in or give them more than our own get . I don't agree with what some are getting now and think it needs to be less generous .

But to say that those living under the Taliban are just economic refugees is taking the pvss.

I pay my taxes as did my family before me and my children are the same . Doesn't mean that any of us have the right to treat other people less fortunate badly / with disrespect.

Nothing religious there... it's called a conscience.

And I have a right to my opinion and so do others who do not agree with you or others on this thread .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

I've checked my privilege and had a good think about the needs of family, neighbours and friends.

And concluded that we simply don't need this immigration boosting our population. Reduce is the first principle of any self respecting Green.

I have no problem with assisting people in other countries so they can develop their own states and make them better places to live.

I have no problem with sheltering genuine war refugees from Ukraine on the strict understanding that they return as soon as practical. When Ukraine is a member of the EU they will be legally entitled to come here but of course by then, we may expect Ukr to be a much better place to live. And who wouldn't want to live in and for their state of birth.

So let's just stop being forced down this road by those who have commercial interests in rising populations.

So why from War torn Ukraine and not similarly traumatised Afghanis ruled by a vicious religious theocracy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Irish illegals weren’t given free houses medical cards etc etc it’s actually such an incredibly disingenuous false equivalence. Laughable attempt.

Perhaps you’re too privileged for any of this to ever actually affect you. “Have a bit of humanity” - I had more than plenty and was happy to see our help going to those who need it. Now the likes of yourself who live in a fantasyland where there’s free unlimited everything for everyone have burned all that up. I know your heart’s in the right place and you think you’re doing good, but this kind of pontificating and moral grandstanding to people who are struggling in a country apparently awash with cash does not help your cause one iota. The opposite in fact.

We can’t house the world, we can’t even house ourselves. Take your head out of your arse and live a day in the real world.

• Advertisement

Read the edit which was printed before you posted that . 55 mins before in fact .

Your post that I replied to showed no humanity or pity for Afghanis under the Taliban or those who choose to travel to find a safe asylum country without their families. Afghanistan is on the list of unsafe/ fleeing from persecution countries .

Nothing to do with 'free unlimited everything 'because frankly I don't believe in that and it is you who are disingenuous to claim that .

Just a bit of common decency and not tarring every asylum seeker with the " grabby economic migrant" brush .

Advertisement