Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Calves 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Jack98

No doubt he provides an invaluable service to an awful lot but having a bit of manner about himself wouldn’t kill him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

He’s down that way because he can’t buy them around his own area he has such a bad reputation. He’s been ran from many a yard

tried to be the big cock bringing rte in to show how great he is and that backfired on him

he’ll say it was an outside haulier but he hired him and they were calves they purchased

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I doubt the VanDrie group are worried about cmr sales in Ireland. If they were they would have actively competed in the market rather than leaving it to a few calf exporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Plenty of other calf buyers out there without lowering yourself to deal with him. Had a returning customer here this morning bought 12 last year. Looking the same this year. No bullshit, paid before loading

• Advertisement

As I posted earlier business is business. It should ever be personal. I never dealt with Seamus and probably never will.

You are lucky enough to probably be in an area where there are not a substantial number of dairy farms. It different in the South East and especially in North Kerry and West Cork. Every second farm is a dairy farm and in places nearly every farm. There is very little demand for calves especially Friesian calves.

I have a factory agent who a lot of lads don't like, however he will never fob me off if I think there should be more on the table he be back to me within a couple of hours with a better price or telling me it is what it is. I had a lad before who would leave me hanging and not come back.

Mauty in Gortalea is what is called a rogue down in Kerry. He is nice, manererly but he will cod you up to your two eyes. Everyone thinks his prices are great, but there must be a reason the dealers go there. If they were getting better value elsewhere they would be going there. I buy a lot of cattle out if there and there is a lot of value there

Seamus is different probably like my agent. He just calls it as it us from his propective

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭straight

Business is about people, just like your agent. Your network is your net worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Jack98

Put an ad on donedeal for our autumn calves 6 years ago guy came from up the country bought the lot, has came every year since and bought the whole lot each year. Never haggles on the price we ask with us he’s got on very well with them each year. Relationships are vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭older by the day

In fairness I know you say your a great farmer (ever day). But it can get a bit sickening to listen to how people are queuing to buy calf's. There must be a fair scarcity of calves up there.

In my townland alone there are about five hundred calves born each year, there are twenty townlands in the Parish around skibbereen you could easily say 20000 calves. Calf to beef rearers are getting fewer every year so less demand as most have their land let. So the hagglers and exporters are the only thing keeping taking the surplus.

Much the same with dry cows, very few Friesian cows went over 1.80/kg yesterday in skibbereen mart

Alot of dairy farmers around here but lads will try to find herds were there's no jersey breeding. Getting scarcer now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Amazing how different the calf trade is in different parts of the country.i try do a deal ever year for all my calves from 1 dairy farmer source. The deal that usually is agreed is calves 3 weeks+,groups of 10 and payment as I collect each batch with movement done online that evening. A flat price is agreed for the calves male/female big or small whatever the run is over the amount of calves that I agree to take. But I am increasingly finding that the dairy lads can't honour the deal at all and pull off the bigger angus and Hereford bull calves to sell for an extra 20 euro for lads who want to root out the bigger calves out of the sheds and pay a bit more that I do at the flat rate but leave the smaller calves..Think I'll just buy batches as I see them advertised this year and save getting caught

• Registered Users Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I watched the calf sale in New Ross Mart today just out of curiosity. BB bulls from FR cows making up to €380, while some FR bull calves went unsold, some went for €5 up to €100 for the nicer ones. Huge amount of calves there. Would prices ne cheaper there than elsewhere or is it much the same everywhere?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am presuming that is the heart of dairying country in south east so supply and demand problem similar to North Kerry and West Cork ,A jobber would take a margin of at least 20 that would add 30 to the price to get the calf up to the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

What where AA and He bull calves making today?

From the few I saw, AA bulls around €150, HE that bit less, but all depends on quality, as you know.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Grueller

You have 2 probablys in there Bass at the end about a man that you obviously don't know. Why argue the toss over a lad 200+ kms away that anyone on here with experience of him are all of the one opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

Seems very reasonable but I would have expected the HE to be dearer than than the AA

I didn't see enough of them selling to give a true picture. New Ross don't have a Catalogue of the prices up on LSL, unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Watch it on and off between the showers here.Good value in all bar the big 70kg+ calves and Continental types..150-200 per head would have filled a few pens in a calf shed with nice Angus and Hereford calves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭green daries

Going to be a pile of aa he calves exported this year cos there will be a lot less fr bulls around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭green daries

Just added up 8 lads in my area who got out of sucklers last autumn from 12 to 30 cow men probably the area of two parishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Seamus is a very long time in the business and has grown it into a family business, Seamus manner might not be to everyone liking and have encountered him in bad humour on several occasions over the years, but the fact is the dairy and beef industry needs calves to be shipped out of the country full stop, what is the alternative keep everything in the country collapsing the beef trade and getting a extra derogation for these calves. The shipping game is weather related and is a total headache if boats don’t sail or allow lorries on when it suits them. A calf has a value full stop and if a dealer buys he has to get a margin and the calf feeders have to get the same, we use to buy calves off a neighbour who kept increasing the prices to the locals till his trade died and he had to go to the mart where he didn’t get on as well and soon opened his eyes to the local trade he had lost, my late father and myself have bought calves off Scallons for forty years and have fell out with Seamus and have gone back to buy again, he always gets the type of calf we have looked for over that period, as Bass said about Mauty he is a bit of a rogue and we can’t say anything wrong about the dealings in his mart. Not everybody likes red wine but some do and everyone to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭older by the day

Stayed up till now, watching one of my favourite cows calving, a nice Friesian heifer calf, I was a bit suspicious when she lid down again. When I came back she had a nice Friesian bull calf.

It's a hard life, when you are worse off financially after a days work.

Anyway it great to be able to do it. Health is wealth

I see we are back to complaining about diction. Yes I do not know Seamus. But he is no different to many other large agents/dealer. At the peak part of the season he is in and out of a hundred+ yards a week. Lads like that at times as the saying goes ''will not give you the time of day''

As @Sheep breeder says he provides a necessary function for dairy farmers. As well as he pointed out you may need to go back to these guys again. Therefore my motto is if you do not do business with them this time do not take it personally. If he is abrupt he is abrupt.

These guys usually are oftenthe poorest payers around and at time you could be waiting for your cheque or bank transfer longer than you might like.

But dairy farmers need exporters like Seamus as much if not more than he needs them

Remember business is business, whether it a factory agent, a tangler, a cattle dealer, silage contractor etc, no matter how much you dislike them never shut the door completely as you never know when you might need them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Danny healy ray

hello lads any one know the price of ton bags of milled peat ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

He operate s calf collection centres down here.lads que up with their calves and if they are in good order nearly all are bought.sold the last 2 calves last year to him and it was the first time dealing with them but thought the whole thing was a hell of a lot better than going to the mart.dont hear any complaints about him and there s a good few lads don't bother dealing anywhere else.from a calf welfare point of view its a good bit ahead of dealing putting export calves through the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

Herefords used to be dependable....but you can get shocking runty narrow arsed versions of those now too......

I know one dealer from round here buys out of the southern marts, very dodgy paperwork wise. Alot around here won't deal with him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭morphy87

Does castleisland get much Calfs these times? Was down there years ago and they had a great selection of Calfs and a very large amount, it wasn’t over till 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Have bought calves off Seamus a few times and found him OK to deal with. He is a cattle dealer out to make money. But he does know his business and he does know what's going on in the export market. When you see some of the calves that are coming out of the dairy sector at the minute it very easy that no market will want them. I think some dairy farmers are afraid to face the fact that various advisors & experts have lead them down a very dangerous path where they are now at the mercy of the milk factories & nitrates with a herd of animals that have a very small value in beef terms if milk wobbles.

Advertisement