Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Kevin has issued another statement to

"clarify" things

Coveney prob got 1 years salary

Collins payoff is secret

This should be revealed as it is essentially public money they are giving away.

RTÉ Director General Kevin Bakhurst has

issued a statement on the departures

of some senior executives at the

broadcaster.

Mr Bakhurst said former Director of

Commercial Geraldine O'Leary and

ex-Director of Legal Affairs Paula Mullooly

did not receive exit payments.

Former Director of Strategy Rory Coveney

did receive an exit payment.

Mr Bakhurst said RTÉ's former Chief

Financial Officer Richard Collins departed

RTÉ "by mutual agreement, with a binding

confidentiality clause that was agreed

to by both sides and in the interest of

fairness and respect cannot be breached."

He said: "As I have stated already, RTÉ has

previously received legal advice that it is

restricted from providing details regarding

the departures of individuals from RTÉ

"This advice was shared with both the

Public Accounts Commitee and the Joint

Oireachtas Committee.

"However, in the interests of transparency

I can clarify matters with regard to the

exits of the four executives who departed

RTÉ after I started as Director General, and

I am doing so with their agreement

"Geraldine 0'Leary retired from RTÉ, and

her role as Director of Commercial, and did

not receive an exit payment.

"Paula Mullooly decided to leave RTÉ, and

her role as Director of Legal Affairs, to

pursue another opportunity and did not

receive an exit payment.

Mr Bakhurst said RTÉ's former Chief

Financial Officer Richard Collins departed

RTÉ "by mutual agreement, with a binding

confidentiality clause that was agreed

to by both sides and in the interest of

fairness and respect cannot be breached."

He said: "As I have stated already, RTÉ has

previously received legal advice that it is

restricted from providing details regarding

the departures of individuals from RTÉ

"This advice was shared with both the

Public Accounts Commitee and the Joint

Oireachtas Committee.

"However, in the interests of transparency

I can clarify matters with regard to the

exits of the four executives who departed

RTÉ after I started as Director General, and

I am doing so with their agreement

"Geraldine 0'Leary retired from RTÉ, and

her role as Director of Commercial, and did

not receive an exit payment.

"Paula Mullooly decided to leave RTÉ, and

her role as Director of Legal Affairs, to

pursue another opportunity and did not

receive an exit payment.

"Rory Coveney and I agreed that it was

best that he stand down from his role as

Director of Strategy

"This enabled the beginning of the

restructuring of the leadership team and

the suppression of his role.

"Responsibility for strategy has passed

to Adrian Lynch, with no additional

compensation, in addition to his

substantive role as Director of Audience,

Channels and Marketing

"Rory's role became redundant, an exit

payment was offered by RTÉ and accepted

by Rory, and with no backfill being made

RTÉ will recoup that payment by July of

this year.

"Following independent mediation

Richard Collins, RTÉ's former Chief

Financial Officer, departed RTÉ by mutual

agreement, with a binding confidentiality

clause that was agreed to by both sides

and in the interest of fairness and respect

cannot be breached.

"As I have said before, in relation to all the

exits, I have sought an update to the legal

advice previously received."

Earlier this week, Mr Bakhurst confirmed

that Ms O'Keeffe was paid €450,000 when

she left the organisation.

Mr Bakhurst told Joint Oireachtas

Committee that he and "many people"

within the broadcaster had no knowledge

that Ms O'Keeffe had taken a voluntary

exit package "until she said it in one of the

committees".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why all the secrecy around Collins package?

Is the man ashamed of what he gouged from a company running on tax payers/licence fee money?

Cough up the details lad . No need to be coy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This won't be popular but I do feel a bit for Richard Collins, I think he was treated as a patsy by O'Keefe who was leaving with her pockets stuffed with cash and by other senior execs like Forbes and conveney. I bet he got told barely a third of what was going on and I bet when this all went down it was like "Angola" as Brian Cowan said about health.

Don't get me wrong like alot of other senior execs Collins as happy to go along not asking the questions and challenging the management especially for someone in the CFO position and then nailed his coffin shut when claiming he didn't k ow what he was being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Which exec refused to go to the Oireachtas committee a 2nd time but was seen texting into Adrian Lynch to clarify issues. That was O'Keefe right?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yep she seems to think that she can get others to do her bidding without her having to turn up and face the music. Have to say she seems a complete and utter cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Any sign of Catherine Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I've just checked my shed - she's not hiding in there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Indo saying Coveney got the equivalent of a year's salary which is presumably around 200k.

Another outrageous amount for a person who "resigned".

Is the government hoping to suppress these scandals because they realise now this could bring RTE down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

This was raised around the time the project was announced. The musical was running in direct competion with the Gaietys own "Gaiety panto". Overlap in dates etc. Can't have two shows running at the same time in one venue. It would be the same I imagine for a lot of the other larger venues. I belive the convention centre was the only venue available.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't Bryan Dobson say recently, when he announced he was retiring, that there were further revelations to come out?

He must have known this was all about to break, unless of course there is yet more shocking revelations to come out still?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Surely Bakhurst has a problem here. Who gave him the authority to use public money and agree to Collin's exit agreement in terms of "RTÉ by mutual agreement, with a binding confidentiality clause that was agreed to by both sides and in the interest of fairness and respect cannot be breached."

Why does he think that he can sign 'binding confidentiality clauses' for a public body? And not be answerable to say the PAC?

Isn't this why he was coy the other day, defending Cusack and refusing to give details of exit packages. He suspects that he's overstepped.

Is he for the chop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd imagine these golden handshakes were just the cherry on top of a career where RTE has been a personal ATM for these people.

With the complete and total lack of accountabily the p*ss was undoubtedly taken at every opportunity. When you can blow the bank and someone else is paying it's easy to sell yourself as "worth it".

Post edited by ShagNastii on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And yet go to the government every single year with cap in hand saying you're broke and need more money.

Laughable if it wasn't so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You'd have to think that Coveney, Doherty et al made several dangerous enemies in the theatre/ panto business when they dreamt up TSTM. It was obvious at the time with grumblings from those in the commercial sector. Did quiet skulduggery go on in the background at the time & after, to make sure the project failed and would never be repeated. Is TSTM the key plank that fell and started exposing the wanton waste of taxpayers money in RTE, further extending to Tubridy and all others since?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

Was it rounded down from 250 and that's a serious question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I remember a lot of the theatre/ panto being pretty vocal about it when it was announced. The show had a unlimited budget and all the free advertising a show could want.

I am not overly fond of the people behind the Gaiety Panto. Al Porter is the scriptwriter and has been for a number of years. But the Christmas panto/theatre pot is only so big. It is hard to compete with a show that has unlimited resources.

The whole way they did the thing was insane. No workshoping it. Just lauching a full show running for weeks without a script in place. No big name cast, no established musical theatre. Nothing. I know its an existing IP. But people at home are not paying 100 yoyos a ticket to watch The Toy Show.

RTE are typically risk adverse so it is a suprising road to go down. I understand the usual way a musical is developed is that writers are found. They work on a script for a few months. Then workshop it with the actors. Have a small limited run, to see what works with the audience and what dosen't. Then rewrites, another workshop. Then maybe a full launch for the show. I don't understand why this wasn't the case here.

It looks like RTE had developed a culture of working a few years and then when you decide to leave for another job, you'll get a hefty reward.

And they are broke.

Kevin Bachurst has proved utterly disappointing by keeping Adrian Lynch and Eimear Cusack. And keeping the handshake payments culture going.

His position is becoming more and more untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think a lot of it was the blind thought they believed that the whole nation was utterly in love with the Late Late Toy show. People couldn't help but buy tickets.

If it's anything like my extended family. Kids and young wans aren't THAT interested in the LL toyshow. They aren't the main viewership.

In truth very few kids were pulling on Mam and Dad's sleeves to get tickets to the big show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Toy Show changed from a show about toys to a showcase for Tubridy's prancing about. The toys became accessories to that. Even TSTM was a continuation of Tubridy's obsession with misery. Now, they're all miserable in RTE. Le Misérable himself has got a gig on Virgin Radio.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It was a classic case of believing your own hype. The Toy Show is clearly a huge annual event within RTE and is hyped no end by them. They clearly thought that because the TS was important to them, it must be important to everyone. Turns out it wasn't.

What's worse though is how the whole show was procured. Before even having a script they had the venue booked and locked in. Such an unproven and risky venture should have had a major element of risk sharing with the venue even if there was a substantial cost. That would have made it much easier to pull the plug when the opening days of ticket sales were so disappointing. These days it can be predicted with a good accuracy how successful a show will be based on the initial demand for tickets.

In fact the right way would have been a short run in a small theatre to prove the concept. There is often a fear of risk taking and consequently innovation is stifled in the public sector so I don't want to criticise them for trying something different. The big mistake was to go all out on a massive unproven production. Risk should always be measured. I suppose it circles back to the start of this post - they thought anything that they slapped Toy Show branding on would be loved and blinded them to the massive risk they were taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No kid wants to go see a feckin musical. I reackon people watch the Toy Show out of nostalgia from when it was good,the pre internet days when a show about toys was like crack for a kid.

My memories of it was the singing, dancing bits got in the way of the toys.

Indeed, my memories were of "get those fukin Billy Barry's off and back to the toys. And Dustin."

If there was a subscription for the Toy Show, hardly anyone would pay for it.

That's no denying it's massive popularity in Ireland and seems like a national tradition now.

But it doesn't transfer to wanting to spend money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Rory's role became redundant, an exit payment was offered by RTÉ and accepted by Rory, and with no backfill being made RTÉ will recoup that payment by July of this year," 

I'm not sure they understand the word recoup?? But nothing new there.

(He got a years salary by the way)

Companies I think and I can stand corrected on this are entitled to claim part of the cost of redundancy from the State. They also have to notify the State in advance.

Presumably Collins, who didn't know his own salary, got a year's pay in his exit payment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Shame he doesn't know what he got. :) He did seem like the fall guy for the previous management though.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Played the part convincingly I'll give him that but while we all felt bad for him at the PAC he's out the door side left with a couple of hundred thousand euros in his arse pocket for a good days work and the eye off him with an NDA issued by a sky fairy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The toy show musical was the perfect example of the complete lack of respect they have for the license payer. A total punt which nobody would take if their own money was at risk.

Advertisement