Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The birth rates stats prove my point. I'm sure you'd agree that house prices in the mid 80 to mid 90s where reasonable, yes?

Yet the birthrate was plummeting. The average couple where choosing birth control and living over child raring and most still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Unfortunately, you'll get this many times over on this thread from my experience.

Some of the posters twisting many comments for a gotcha yea quote and completely derail your comment and thread. They won't debate the huge points we're facing with the cost financially and socially. Like the latest of many stories, the biggest hotel in Drogheda town been handed 13 million per year for 500 new arrivals while the locals have a major hotel in a town of 65k been taken off the market.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2024/0217/1432884-drogheda-hotel/

Leo V explains above - ""Migration is a very sensitive issue," he said. "Migration brings out the best in some people - people who take refugees into their homes, people who welcome refugees into their schools and into their clubs and into their communities. “It also brings out the worst in some people, with hatred and anger and racism, and I'm very conscious of that.""

It's as emotional blackmailing as possible, "migration brings out the best in some people" but should you have concerns or objections to this "it'll bring out the worst with anger and racism".

Leo is an EU federalist in and out, a poster boy for the EU. He'll be eying up the best EU jobs available in the coming years, while sailing away with the best of pensions has to offer as the country will be gripping with an immigration mess. He's self-serving for his own interests and FG, I've absolutely no trust or promise for his interest in Ireland.

The pensions debate, pre famine population etc. etc.… all nonsense. The German finance minister only recently visiting Dublin warning about welfare immigration but some posters calming the finance minister in a far-right party and his comments aren't balanced.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/02/13/solution-to-immigration-challenge-is-tighter-controls-german-finance-minister-tells-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ireland is the EU, not under its control. We are a member state and every Irish citizen is an EU citizen. The idea of the EU being a 'foreign organisation' would be missing the whole point of being in a union.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Thousands in Dublin marching for a war going on since before Christ was born.a poor turnout in drogheda.sums up the country today.wait till the state starts bringing in hamas refugees in their thousands.will the lefties be out with the red carpet for them

country is finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Leo's an EU federalist...

Hmmmm, weren't you the poster calling for an EU Border Force to implement your policies a few pages back?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don't know did you read that article and study you quoted there ?!

It's a very much more positive picture of Ireland currently than that headline suggests!

Maybe you just read the headline?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishPost/videos/20-year-old-leo-varadkar-1999/10157472016123452/

"I'd certainty like to see us integrate more with Europe" , "I'll probably be a federalist on European issues"

"Hmmmm, weren't you the poster calling for an EU Border Force to implement your policies a few pages back?"

Yes I did, I've no problem with a European task force enforcing the borders, absolutely no problem with that. More said "my stance" rather than polices on helping and or assist with the immigration issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Yeah you keep believing that little Ireland has more influence than Germany or France on EU policy. Many people on the continent including diplomats in Brussels thought that we were leaving also in 2016 after the vote - they didn't know we were independent country!

I'm not advocating for exit from the EU btw, but I do think there should be major reform around its refugee and climate policies. I'm saying you guys with your open borders policies are playing EXACTLY into the hands of the small but growing anti-EU grouping here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The Drogheda protest was a laughing stock. Says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Who exactly is looking for 'open borders '?

not the EU who have a working border control

'Frontex was established in 2004 as the European Agency for the Management of Operational Cooperation at the External Borders and is primarily responsible for coordinating border control efforts. In response to the European migrant crisis of 2015–2016, the European Commission proposed on 15 December 2015 to extend Frontex's mandate and to transform it into a fully-fledged European Border and Coast Guard Agency. On 18 December 2015, the European Council roundly supported the proposal and after a vote by the European Parliament, the European Border and Coast Guard was officially launched on 6 October 2016 at the Bulgarian external border with Turkey.'

So seems the EU don't have an open border policy.

Ireland controls it's own borders, and are not even a member of schengen.

so who is it exactly that has an open border policy? And can you please link to that policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think when Varadkar talks about immigration bringing out the best and worst in people it is unhelpful.

It’s not that he’s entirely wrong. But there is a national conversation underway about it and trying to bring emotion into it is unwise. He’s also isolating people who don’t agree with him when he uses that kind of language.

i think it’s time for the media to quiz the Government about a long term approach. Keeping IPAs and Ukrainians in hotels long term isn’t good for them or for the communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

And that message from Helen McEntee the other day saying protestors are somehow complicit by paving the way for the arsonists was a disgrace.

The only people whose policies and actions have resulted in arson the last 2 years are Leo Varadkar, Helen McEntee and Roderic O'Gorman. And that is still true while not in any way condoning the act of arson.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

It unreal. There is no movement to stop these pricks. I thought the tide was turning but no.

It shows the power of the a media in lockstep with government.

The country is asleep and we're being marched of the cliff edge.

Why doesn't anyone care about our tourism, healthcare bed shortages, education places shortages, housing shortages, water shortages, Electrical grid shortages, etc, etc

Are people not able to think anymore and connect the dots...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fergus Finley was wondering the other night on VM1 would we be able to take in 100 k from Gaza.

Had to rewind it to make sure I heard it correctly.

Well it's absolutely condoning the acts of arson, trying to suggest that it is someone else's fault other than the actual arsonists!

I've seen several anti-immigration posters on here claiming that their candidates and spokespeople aren't getting their voices heard in the media.

I think they, and especially their 'solutions', need to have the spotlight shone right on them.

The more I learn about this topic I see that wealthy and powerful countries such as the UK, US and Australia have struggled to enforce deportations, because of countries refusing to accept deportees, or the difficulty of ascertaining where people are from.

These failures have then led to attempts at indefinite detention (US, Australia and Denmark) or offshore centres (UK, Australia).

I don't think the Irish public really wants any of these harder solutions, whether because of cost or the inhumanity involved. Neither, I think do we want the huge cost of hardening our sea borders, or the cost and complexity of enforcing border control with NI

I think we need to bring this debate right out in public. Deportations, asylum caps, and 'turning people back at the border' sound like easy solutions but I think people need to know what going down this path really looks like.

Holly Cairns spent just over a minute of a half hour speech talking about immigration earlier on this evening.

Ireland is not full she says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The problem with people like Holly and Eamon Ryan is that they would say the exact same thing if there were three times as many immigrants coming.

They shouldn’t be taken seriously because they are being led by what they would like to be true rather than what is true.

But that kind of talk has run out of road. There are genuine issues of capacity.

People across Europe are turning away from previously political movements that won’t at least face reality. This is happening at a time when the economy is strong. It’ll only accelerate when things inevitably turn. Interesting times, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Who are the anti immigration posters?

Name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

In fairness married people were able to get hold of at least johnnies 40 years ago and almost 40 years ago, 1985 that was extended to unmarried people. I think it is mainly cost and the precariousness of life for those starting out that is keeping the birthrate down today.

"I've seen several anti-immigration posters on here claiming that their candidates and spokespeople aren't getting their voices heard in the media."

It's not anti-immigration, am all about controlled immigration and so are many here. We're asking for a proper control on the border either it be local and or EU wide.

"The more I learn about this topic I see that wealthy and powerful countries such as the UK, US and Australia have struggled to enforce deportations, because of countries refusing to accept deportees, or the difficulty of ascertaining where people are from."

Because people are destroying their passports/IDs before presenting themselves to border control. Continuing to reward people destroying their documents will only encouraging more to do so!

"I don't think the Irish public really wants any of these harder solutions, whether because of cost or the inhumanity involved. Neither, I think do we want the huge cost of hardening our sea borders, or the cost and complexity of enforcing border control with NI"

The cost? we're spending billions upon billions on accommodation, welfare supports and services already. Again if it costs an extra billion to enforce our border to control AS arriving at our shores because it's necessary then YES! vs billions to house, feed and support failed AS and IPS then It needs to be done. Am sure the North and South can collaborate on this issue.

"I think we need to bring this debate right out in public. Deportations, asylum caps, and 'turning people back at the border' sound like easy solutions but I think people need to know what going down this path really looks like."

People have been asking for a debate and were labeled far-right before, I agree we need to discuss immigration and how to reform the system.

Poster already has firm for posting false reports. This is a Wikipedia page with no links to actual German police statistics.

The information is not only misinterpreted, it is false.

There is no information after 2018 in the (false) page.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But we have controls.

The EU have Frontex, which I posted about earlier. Ireland control their own borders, we are not even in schengen.

So what other controls do you want?

You think spending an extra billion will allow us to close our borders?

Our sea border is roughly the same length as the US southern border. They spend 25 billion per year trying and failing to close theirs.

That's before we get to the cost of detaining, either here or abroad, law abiding people who for the most part are willing to work.

I really don't think, given an informed choice, this is what Irish people want when it comes to immigration. I suspect what people really want, first and foremost, is an end to the shocking waste of keeping people in private hotel rooms.

Would ya stop! Different world.

My friend was in a mother and baby home in the 1990s. That was the reality. Some of us in Dublin could get our hands on condoms. The rest of the country? Not so much!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement