Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

I'm live 1.5 years now and don't have a battery. I will probably get a prebuilt one later this year, but one closer to the DIY price like Fogstar Energy 15.5kWh 48V Battery l Fogstar UK.

That 'learn and then act again' approach works for me. If it's bought the battery from the installer on Day1, I'd have overpaid big time. It's all part of my learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Paying for the battery from the installer is a bit of a sting. I'm getting priced at €4,200 for 2 x 5.3kWh batteries as part of my system. solarboss charge just under €2,100 for a battery, so I don't really mind paying for the pro-install just to get everything running. Going through the DIY process is something I am sure I will do down the road.

Stay Free

My Quote. Dublin

BASE SYSTEM (€5000)

3.915kWp (9 Jinko 435W panels)

Solis 5kW Hybrid Inverter with 7" LCD panel

STORAGE (€4200)

2 x 5.3 WECO R20 Batteries

ADDITIONAL (€800)

Consumer Unit Replacement

Tails Upgrade to 25mm^2

TOTAL €10,000 after grant.

The additional work wasn't required as part of the install, but I want to have this done anyway. I will have the ESB charge of €180 to pay for tails connection.

Stay Free

4kWp system is small-ish. I'd suggest get larger if the roof + budget allows. If it's South facing it will produce close to 4000kWh a year (rough rule of thumb). If it's an E/W (like I have, it's ~75% output of a South). I've a 5kWp system and could use more but roof is maxed out.

A house uses anything from 3000kWh (for a lean house) upwards a year. EV uses ~2000kWh for 15000kms driving a year. Electric heating uses huge times more than both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Looks decent enough, I love the way installers say things like "with a 7" LCD panel" as if your getting something special! Or the best one is "Free lifetime monitoring" which is free on most inverters!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Last year we used 15,000kWh. 65% night rate. We are a 2 EV home. We have gas central heating and a stove for a bit of winter luxury.

9 panels is the max I could fit on the south facing roof. The batteries will be used to charge on night rate and supplement the days use which I average to be 15kWh.

I will add another string to the shed roof when I extend it later in the year. I reckon I could easily get another 6 or 7 panels and another 4 if I place them onto my flat roof extension, but I may want to keep that roof for solar thermal. Still working out the best option.

I added the 7" panel comment. I noticed some of the quotes just had the more basic solis inverter with the tiny lcd readout. I made sure the proper inverter was quoted for.

Stay Free

That would be the string inverters with the small readout, the hybrids have the bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭9400

Any chance you could PM me a couple of names please?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

See the name of the thread: Home› Topics› Home & Garden› Construction & Planning› Renewable Energies›Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hey folks I think my last question explained in a bit of a convoluted way so I'll try to simplify it in this post.

I'm based in Galway and have 2 quotes that I'm trying to decide between, here is a pic of the 2 quotes.

Both are pretty much identical the main difference seems to be glass on glass vs glass on foil panels. I've been finding it hard to get independent info on glass on glass vs glass on foil panels. The main benefit seems to glass on glass degrades slightly less and is more likely to protect against harsh weather. Since I live on the west coast close to the sea where the weather can be really bad and I wouldn't mind spending the extra bit of money if they were going to be more durable in the long run.

So I'm wondering does anyone have any experience of the glass on glass and if it's worth the extra €85 or so per panel. Thanks

• Advertisement

I’d recommend use the €850 saving to get more panels based on back of the envelope maths. An unshaded south facing system will get ~430kWh per 430w panel per year. Ok, there’s more to it than that, be that’s just ‘there or there abouts’ based on the overall output of all the panels you’ll get installed.

But a 2% reduction in performance on 20 panels results in only a 172kWh drop (or 8.5kWh per panel). So….get more panels to offset any potential deterioration.

A standard 430w Jinko panel is €70 ex vat now to a member of the public if they buy in bulk.

Btw, I have glass on glass panels in suburban Dublin. I feel I was oversold them as a premium product. It gave me confirm 1.5 years ago when getting quotes. But once they were on the roof, it matters less.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

i live 30 mins from the sea...not exactly coastal but i went for standard panels. personally if i was you i would go with company b.

you'll save 850 euro, gain 50 extra watts and any corrosion or degradation concerns will be covered by the 30 year performance warranty. if you google the jinko n type panel you'll see an article from australia talk about how they have excellent resistance to sea mist.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thanks for the advice, I'd love to add more panels but to be honest I think that even getting 10 on my roof might be pushing it. Though based on some of the recent discussion here I might look into putting that 850 towards a battery that I top up at the night rate to save more on my costs throughout the year

Thanks for the advice

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I got 5 quotes in total for my solar needs. After filtering through them, looking at reviews I have narrowed it down to 2 places that have good google and trust pilot reviews generally, but they offer different model equipment at very similar prices. I am leaning towards one based on some research I've done, but input from here would be appreciated too.

Quote 1

12 x 435-watt Longi HI-MO X6 Panels

Dual - Huawei SUN2000-5KTL-L1 (5.5kW)

Price (including BER and after grant) - 8349

Quote 2

12 Jinko Neo N-Type 435W Solar PV Panels

5kw Solis Hybrid Inverter

Price (including BER and after grant) - 8475

I won't be getting a battery for now, but may in future. I believe the Solis is more versatile for adding on battery later if wanted? Are the above much of a muchness really? Any reason to prefer one over the other?

A bit expensive for both, I would keep looking. The inverter depends on a lot of things but the Huawei is restricted when adding batteries in the future. use the calculator to give a rough guidance on prices. http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

Yeah, they're both on the high side. When I was asking for quotes, I told them what equipment I wanted with regards to panels and inverters. Made it easier to compare them. I also think doing so shows them you know what you need and are shopping around, so you shouldn't get crazy quotes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

the only reason i would go for quote two is as you said it gives you more versatility when it comes to adding a battery. however something to note with the solis is the throttling issue when it comes to discharging a battery. it will discharge at 100amps but after 15 minutes the brakes are applied. not sure if the Huawei throttles.

perhaps other boardsies can throw some light on the Huawei discharge rate and whether it throttles?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Company Im thinking of going with soon is seeking a 50% deposit of the full price of the installation not including the grant deduction. They say they fill out the paperwork for the grant but the grant is later paid to me after the post installation BER is complete. Is this all normal, bit miffed Ive to unexpectedly to find an extra €2,400 even if I will get it back in a few months time.

Also any tips for how to do due diligence on an installer, theyve very few Google reviews and I cant think of where or how to figure out what theyre like.

Can you pay by credit card or PayPal so you have the safeguard if anything goes wrong? I paid 30% up front 2 years ago but it was a company highly recommended here so was fairly at ease doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Why would you go with a company with very few reviews when there are so many companies with an excellent track record and tons of reviews online.

Why would you give such a company that much money with absolutely no safeguards? Am I missing something?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭deezell

Agreed. If they're trading correctly, they'll be getting stock on account, and will have plenty of time to pay their supplier after the job is finished and the customer has paid. Upfront means they're operating on cash payments, though the grant process puts them firmly in the revenue front window. If they'd asked for half when the hardware arrived on site, that might be OK, but I'd want to see the panels mounted first, then I might feel covered. Loose materials easily moved off site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 raymikemc

Strange question for people. When does a quote become too low and likely a company are planning to cut corners. I've 3 companies undercutting each others bids and not sure when bottom will be bottom...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Would appreciate opinions on how a pre-grant price of €15,400 sound for the following 5.655kW system with 10kWh battery storage, EV charger and backup solution:

• 13 x 435w JA Solar panels (JAM54D41-435/LB/1500V) 

• 1 x Solis 5kW Inverter RHI-5K-48ES-5G - 10 years warranty

• 2 x Puredrive 5kWh batteries PSII-5kWh-BAT 10-year warranty/10,000 cycle (Total 10kWh) 

• 1 x change-over switch wired back to the distribution board for backup (not just a socket beside the inverter)

• 1 x Zappi car charger 207TW

Tiled roof, two-storey house. No BER cert.

€15,400 pre-grant

€13,000 net after SEAI grants of €2400 (€2100+€300)

I would try get nearly a couple of grand off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Seems way over priced. Keep shopping.

I've found the Facebook group for Irish solar owners invaluable as well as this board.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Thanks very much for the feedback con747 and keno-daytrader.

Including the Zappi and the changeover Switch sort of threw me but €15,400 (pre-grant) did seem expensive. I expect it's in the region of €14,000 (pre-grant) without both of them allowing €400 for the changeover switch and €1000 for the Zappi but maybe I should be allowing more for the Zappi (even as part of the PV install). Still a bit luke-warm on the Zappi .. have a PHEV so don't 100% need it now but of the mind to get it all done now rather than getting it at a later stage.

With Huawei equipment, I am looking at €1,200 extra on top of the €15,400 (pre-grant).. bringing the equivalent with Huawei equipment (incl Huawei backup box & changeover switch) to €16,600 (pre-grant).

You can use an outdoor plug to charge the PHEV instead of getting a Zappi. Afaik PHEV can only charge at a slow speed, something like a max of 3.5kW. So the outdoor plug won’t be much slower most likely. Will save 1k on Zappi (~ 1.5k supply and fit but then you get a small grant back). Aside: If you’ve a PHEV and don’t charge it, you’re losing the benefit of it. I’d suggest charge the PHEV to 100% every night. We do that on our old Leaf that has a short range.

Bear in mind a Huawei inverter can only use a Huawei battery or LG Luna. @HotSwap is the only one here afaik with full Huawei setup - inverters and batteries and the changeover switch. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'm not sure on 10kW batteries, 5kW would be loads, use the grid as your battery (export tariff)

Regarding Zappi, are they that useful? Charge EV at night and export at a higher rate by day.

Why do people bother with changeover switches? Power cuts are rare in reality.

In Dublin, where I live, power cuts are rare. Had only 1 unplanned one that 1 recall in 4 years (since WFH) and only lasted for a few hours. Will never make the cost of changeover switch back.

But some people that are rural here have said they can get 5 plus a year and can be multi hour. If you're a fully electric house......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Doubt anybody gets 5 a year TBH.

I'm rural and it's very infrequent anyway.

Even at that a few hours later and it's usually back.

Advertisement