Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Great game and very proud of the lads but the "Good girl Hollie" or "ah honey" comments from some Leinster fans near where I was sitting were a tad tasteless :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MOD: This is not a productive comment and we are absolutely not using that term to refer to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭OldRio

I have to say that Number 15 for Benetton, Jacob Umaga, is a very very good player. With the right coaching and a bit of luck the skys the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Just people having a laugh no doubt. Near far worse than that at matches of any sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

There were loads of families about so totally inappropriate and it is rugby and not just 'any' sport imho

Watching the highlights, I saw that Turner is similar in size to Luke. He's a fairly small lad. Very good player, though.

Can't wait to watch it in full. Very happy with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Ok and you will hear far far worse at most rugby matches, particularly towards a referee. Families around or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

He’s short alright but he’s built like a brick

Powerful and explosive player, his acceleration off the mark is impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭PMC83

Whats with the Orange netting held up in front of the north and south stands at the end of the game? Doesn't seem necessary

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,712 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah I've no idea what that was about.

Poor form if it is to reduce access to the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Also only at the north/south ends? Not like the hedge is particularly high on the grandstand side.

Would bet it's some inane insurance stipulation rather than an actual strategy to do/prevent something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wasn’t even the width of the pitch. Seemed like a massive waste of effort

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nyakane signs for Sharks. Puts to bed any chance of Leinster grabbing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭PMC83

I reckon you could be right. Not great look though, family's typically in the north and south stands, as mentioned above it blocks access to players, a little harsh on the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Maybe they'll just switch Healy to tighthead next year the way things are going and have him and Clarkson make up for the loss of Ala'alatoa. Would Boyle be ready to be the main back up loosehead by then if Milne is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster were looking at Tom OToole so I don't think healy will switch

Overall, an impressive effort. A 7 week break and we come out with a bonus. Some players have been playing AIL, so they've been game ready. A fairly young team too! Probably a similar team for the next match.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

A few weeks ago two boys ran onto the pitch briefly after the game. So Leinster, who for years in expectation of this event have lined the pitch with security staff, were clearly forced to upgrade the security even more. Who knows what untold damage their small feet could do to the playing surface. I for one am looking forward to the pitch being protected by ED209 police droids, so I can feel safe that nothing like this would ever be allowed happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

They are meant to have a few options that they are mulling over both Irish and NIQ. I advocated for Nyakane in the past to come to Leinster but now that he hasn't, I'm a surprisingly ok with it. His age profile was wrong and I think Leinster know they need a Tighthead prop who is going to shoulder alot of time at the TH spot next year with questions looming about Furlong's fitness and form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Was it me or was the pitch not in great condition? Visually it looked fine and obviously its been quite wet recently.

But there was a lot of players just slipping around the place.

There's been no rugby played on it for 6 weeks. Seemed strange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Liam Turner showing his full value at the weekend. Probably the most underrated senior player in the Leinster squad. Very consistent and does what's asked of him to a high standard. URC level is still probably his ceiling owing to his size but I do think he has a unique advantage in his size of being very stock and hard to take down as we saw for his try combined with how strict the new high tackle laws are. A legal tackle on 95% of pro outside centres is an illegal tackle on him.

Certainly I thought he outshone Osborne who was understandably but notably rusty. As others have pointed out - it was an extremely generous potm award by Darcy who was focusing more on a greater narrative as well as his own biases.

It's probably a small bit overstated about "bedding in" etc. but Nienabers aggressive press D is extremely unforgiving on outside backs who at present are left in a completely untenable position by the smallest misread from players potentially 3-4 players inside them.

I don't doubt that when all players start singing on the same hymn sheet it will improve but what we saw a few times was 2/3 players make even the tiniest wrong read and the whole thing was left exposed out wide which Benetton duly exploited. Lancasters system was just a bit more robust with micro decisions being made incorrectly not being as harshly punished.

Rob Russell had a bit of a game to forget in this instance and Tommy O'Brien wont want to see his attempted tackle again (ones that he would be famed for making)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I thought the defensive patterns settled more as the game went on. They had a sustained period of possession around the 50th minute deep in our half with no reward as we shut them down consistently and effectively before turning them over. But it certainly isn't a forgiving system with errors punished to the extreme if the inside work rate and/or decisions are off.

I thought Turner was very good and, from the backs, was comfortably the pick of the bunch. His try was good but I really liked some of his long flat passing to the wing, inviting guys onto the ball. He's 24 now so is unlikely ever to become a first team player, I'd imagine but he could fill that Rory O'Loughlin role well for us particularly given that he covered wing later on too.

The pack was very solid. Nothing special but extremely effective and tidy. I don't think any of them had anything below a 6 or 7/10 type performance without any big stand outs. And the subs kept that ticking along nicely with Ed Byrne and McKee showing some lovely touches in the loose. Nice to see the set piece being fairly dominant too given that it was a significantly more experienced front row facing them. Gallo started throughout the RWC for Argentina and Pasquali has plenty of 6N experience with Italy. It was a good test for Boyle and Clarkson and, whilst I'm not sure the decisions were always what other officials would have given, it will do their confidence a world of good to better such a duo.

Not all perfect though. Luke McGrath's passing is regressing from a relatively low point already. It was a total lottery on Saturday with a huge number of passes being off target. If one of the younger options can round out their game a bit, I can see McGrath struggling for a spot in the 23 at some point next season. That level of passing simply cannot be accommodated.

I thought Ross Byrne looked rusty. His handling was less than fluid, not so much in terms of passing but he seemed to always adjust the ball slightly in his hands to make sure he had it positioned perfectly in his grasp before releasing. Previously, it would be a far more singular motion of catching and passing but it improved as the game went on.

I would hope that Harry Byrne is retained for the next couple of Irish games anyway. Ross will surely be back in for the summer tour (although nothing is certain given how he has been jettisoned previously) but I'd hope they back HB at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭durthacht

Luke McGrath's passing is regressing from a relatively low point already. It was a total lottery on Saturday with a huge number of passes being off target. If one of the younger options can round out their game a bit, I can see McGrath struggling for a spot in the 23 at some point next season. That level of passing simply cannot be accommodated.

I thought the same. It does seem to be more than a run of poor form and it's a shame as he was a good player, but seems to be in decline. I imagine scrum half is high on the coaches risk list, and I imagine they are studying Murphy and Gunne very closely for signs that either could be second choice to JGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

And if one falls and slips and gets hurt it's Lionel Hutz time

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I honest to god believe that Leinster are looking at a IQ Tighthead so they can bring in a NIQ scrumhalf to replace McGrath. He really worries me and the other lads just aren't ready as of yet.

Liam Turner is a belter of a player. He seems to have everything except size. I'd back him to do the job at any level.

For all the critical comments and the obvious failings of Luke, he's still important to the side. Take Ben Murphy, a fantastic passer and good athlete but, he's not yet close to getting ahead of Luke. He will eventually but not for a season or 2. Will Murphy ever be as good a rugby player as Luke? I don't believe he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Scrum half is a bit of a worry at international level, I'm not sure we'd be allowed to bring in a NIQ player in that position. Murray is turning 35 in a couple of months, JGP is turning 32 this week. We only really have Casey in line behind both of those, he's still young but is probably solid at best, and he's by far the best prospect in all of the provinces, with Doak a distant second. We need to find at least one other 9 who can challenge for that spot at international level or it will become a real point of weakness for us in the next 2 or 3 years.

From a Leinster perspective, we have 2 years maybe to try and develop one of Murphy, Foley or Gunne, with Gunne looking like he has the highest potential. I think we'll be forced to make do with that bunch until someone surfaces a decent 9. There is potentially an option for an IQ 9 however, thinking specifically of Raffi Quirke who played against us for Sale Sharks. He's Irish qualified now that he hasn't been involved with England in 3 years, but as we know with the PONI scheme, he'll be offered to Munster first if he's interested.

• Advertisement

Coffee is a prospect too. I would guess he's an intake for the academy.

Advertisement