Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

On the issue of appealing the judgement. Trump has two avenues; one is lodging the entire judgement amount in the next 30 days, and I doubt he can raise that amount in 30.

Second course is obtaining a bond for that amount, usually sustaining a 10% non-refundable fee, but that also requires trump to submit a financial statement that's he's good for the total amount.

Now maybe I'm being skeptical, but what bond company will accept such a statement given that the conviction he is appealing is for issuing dodgy financial statements in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He will attempt to sue the bond companies (or find a GQP leaning one which will bypass the checks and fold when he loses the appeal)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don’t share your confidence.

I would like to think that it will persuade those that are sitting in the fence not to vote for him, obviously his base will remain loyal as they will remain convinced that it is all a conspiracy no matter what happens.

One way or the other 2024 will be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭Christy42

How he keeps making this even more pathetic and sad at this point is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭briany

Pretty sure he'll still be contesting the election in November, but I wouldn't mind being wrong on that one whatsoever.

Legal jeopardy doesn't hurt his polling among his base.

Cash judgements against him, he can sell more MAGA tat and ask for donations.

Convicted felons can still run for president, they just aren't allowed to vote.

I don't see any issue that would prevent him getting to November, save for some force majeure thing like a sudden health problem.

Even those who said they'd change their mind if got convicted, I'm not sure that it would actually be a bridge too far were a conviction to happen, given what they're already prepared to stick by him through.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Discrimination or something, his legal advisors know how to abuse the system even if he loses every case eventually.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He's banned from being an "officer" of a company, not from owning shares , so as long as he's not listed on the board he's ok sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Add to that the likelyhood that The Presidency is all Donnie has now left to avoid disaster. His 4 years in the White House gave him a welcome pause from the financial & legal troubles that were already on their way to get him prior to 2016. I imagine him to be desperate to get in there to gain access to the Magic Pause Button that being POTUS appeared to offer him. So he will hold on for dear life to stay on the ballot until November. Even if the GOP suddenly kicked him off the ticket in favor of Haley, he would still run, because he has no choice.

If all goes as we hope, and Donnie loses in November, there will be all kinds of hell from the MAGA cult. This was going to be the case regardless, but out of desperation Trump is likely going to try for a repeat of Jan 6 and I suspect he’ll openly call for a coup this time. Once that fails, we’ll still be left with MAGA for the foreseeable, but Donnie’s days will likely be numbered. Without his businesses or anything close to a billion to his name he will eventually start to disintegrate. It might take years, and during that time we’ll get more of what we’ve had for the past 4 years, until finally he loses what few marbles he had left or his decrepit frame will succumb to nature.

Only then we’ll be left with his wretched legacy to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Imagine he does win 2024, with debts of over a half billion.

Plenty of secrets he can sell.

I'm not saying he definitely won't.

What I am saying is I see much more weakness and vulnerability than I've seen before.

The one thing he can hammer Biden on (age, gaffs) he can't because he's worse.

He can't criticise Putin over the murder.

He can't say he is impervious to lawsuits.

He's a **** load of court dates which *will* impact the independent/swing voters. (**** his base).

That debt is significant and if he can be sued over Jan 6, there will be more law suits from those injured such as law enforcement which, if successful, will have substantial payouts.

I know people will say he will get through it because he always does, well that doesn't take into account the phrase "the straw that broke the camel's back".

Something will give, and I'm beginning to think maybe it'll "give" this side of November.

@everlast75

The one thing he can hammer Biden on (age, gaffs) he can't because he's worse.

He can. Not because he has the high ground, but because that's what he has been doing with various rivals/enemies of his for pretty much his whole political career such that it is normalised. He uses 'crooked' as a nickname for several such people and everyone seems to have largely gotten sick of pointing out the ridiculous irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'm thinking his plan is:

get elected POTUS

Pardon himself as much as he can

Resign, and let the VP do the heavy lifting for "Project 2025."

Deal with the state-level lawsuits that will likely be ongoing throughout 2024 and beyond.

Then, he can continue to be influential in GOP politics - his rallies will be on behalf of some candidate but it'll be the TFG show, make no mistake. He'll continue the grift. I do love how it's Scientologists running his GoFundme, original grifters helping a current one. I remember a quote, weirdly I think it was from L. Sprague de Camp, who said, "And to think, I knew L. Ron Hubbard when he was just a small-time crook."

Can't find the source though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If he gets elected, All court cases stop for the duration.

He can't pardon himself out of the State level ones but they will be put on hold until he's out of office.

But he'll use the time to remove the prosecutors so the cases die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

There's a massive amount of wishful thinking in the posting about Trump here.

Much as I wish he would simply go away (by being imprisoned, incapacitated or just dying) and take his hateful MAGA movement with him, we also have to recognise that he is more likely than not to win in November. And, given that Ireland's entire economic model is predicated on US FDI, we will have to come to terms with President Trump v2.0.

"we also have to recognise that he is more likely than not to win in November"

What are you basing this view on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t see it. Apart from everything else, his core support hasn’t really changed. Enough to win a GOP nomination, not nearly enough to win a presidency.

I don’t think there are too many undecideds anymore - everyone knows what you get with Trump(which is basically nothing, he is running for personal protection from prosecution more than anything else) and most Americans categorically do not want him as president.

• Advertisement

Fair point but...they also don't want Biden either. People have been sold on the idea that he is past it (fairly or unfairly) and his approval ratings are at levels that are fatal for a sitting president.

One group of people who are good at pricing markets are bookies. They all have Trump as favourite and Biden is at more than twice his odds.

See my post above.

Biden's favourability ratings have been in the toilet for a long time. This is terrible news for his chances in November.

Also; the context has changed. The last election was a referendum on Trump. This one will be a referendum on Biden (unless he steps aside, which he should).

Don't get me wrong by the way. I'd rather vote for a comatose Biden than a vigorous Trump!

But, at this point, Trump is favourite.

The good news is that can change through events or, even better, a new Dem candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Bookies odds are calculated on the amount of money being bet. If more money is being put on a particular outcome then the odds shorten on that outcome. Also they lengthen the odds on other runners to get more cash in and balance their probable losses if the favourite wins. More money is currently being bet on Trump winning by his followers, that's all that's happening.

The problem is not his base. The problem is who is there to vote for the other candidate. This is what scuppered Hillary in 2016 - she couldn't rally the blue vote despite Trump's obvious problems, then. Everyone seems to be expecting that those who voted for Biden or against Trump last time will do so again this time, but Trump fatigue has set in. The lawsuits and the felony cases and the outrageous things he says have just become one big ball of noise. Every time he does 'the thing', i.e. the thing which pundits proclaim will be his undoing, all that does is set a new high watermark of what to expect from him, another notch on the crazy belt.

And the problem for Biden is A) his age, which Trump is not far behind at all in, but he distracts from that with all of his other madness, and B) getting the blame for everything that's wrong with the USA or perceived to be, which is something every incumbent POTUS must deal with, some better than others. The Democrats did a hell of a job in 2016 of making Trump seem in any way electable and look to be flirting with the possibility of pulling it off again. I believe that even if Biden were in a wheelchair with a big string of drool hanging off his chin, he'd be a better president than Trump for the simple reason that being infirm and decent is better than healthy and evil, but America is probably going to need a bit more selling than that, rightly or wrongly.

Took you five posts to get to "I'm no fan of trump but...." Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭McFly85

But the big difference between 2016 and now is that the US have had 4 years of Trump, and know what a rubbish president he is. In effect, him running significantly rallies the blue vote as people will turn up to make sure that he won’t get back in the White House.

I don’t think Biden is an ideal candidate. But I don’t think his TV gaffes are enough to get the American public at large to think they’d prefer 4 more years of a crook with an abysmal presidential record instead of another 4 years of a president that has done little wrong.

Theres a strange double standard at play - Biden makes an incorrect statement and he’s all of a sudden too old and incompetent, and Trump, who makes his own regular gaffes amongst his borderline treasonous statements, lies and post conviction tirades, is somehow more competent? Crazy stuff altogether.

Let me complete that sentence for you.

but...if Biden doesn't step down and enable a younger Democrat candidate (such as Whitmer or Newsom), then we might face the existential nightmare of a secong Trump presidency.

I also mentioned polling. Have a listen to this recent snippet from ABC\538.

72% of Americans have doubts about Biden's ability to do the job. Those are unprecedented numbers.

• Advertisement

I agree. It is crazy but unfortunately it's the political reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement