Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Add in the German citizen offspring of the ones who arrived from the 60s to the 90s and you can likely double each of those figures.

This is a serious question here, are Ireland and Britain the only European countries with a substantial indigenous native anti social underclass?

Like, most European countries don't seem to fully ID criminal suspects in criminal trials, but any time there's a story about a crime on the continent, it's ALWAYS them by the first names.

Like, you read about say, an Irishman badly assaulted in Paris, the men charged are always "Nabil B and Abdel C". Every single time.

When you look at crime gangs, there simply doesn't seem to be ethnically German/ French/ Belgian organised crime networks.

Something around 70% of the French prison population is Muslim. So 70% are North African or Turks, Afghans, Syrians, and sub Saharan Muslim states, presumably another chunk of the prison population are from Eastern Europe, Christian backgrounds from Africa and the Carribean.

So exactly how many French prisoners are ethnically French?

10%? 15%?

That never happened.

As for the johnnys, I'm sure you could buy them off the same lads who sold fireworks, poor quality VHS films, brand name tracksuits where the labelling peeled after two washes, and fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You studied the International Protection Act, by reading a citizens advise website?😂

It's been linked over and over again. It has nothing to do with EU treaties.

Here you are, both acts give affect to the Geneva Convention

I was well born in the 90s, unfortunately😂😂

Our obligations do not just come from the EU. It's been pointed out and linked many many times, the dishonest ones are the posters who ignore them.

We had lower births because so many of our potential parents were living in the UK and US.

I'm from that era, I would say easily 80% of people I grew up with, and people I know today, are from a family of four.

Odd one two or three. Maybe 10% from a "big" family (6 to 9 kids)

Im roundabouts the 40 mark and I think I've met a grand total of 3 people of roughly my generation who were an only child.

Today the only families of four kids are either on benefits or extremely wealthy.

• Advertisement

Wrong.

An EU citizen has no right to benefits upon arrival.

Indeed they have no right to benefits unless they have worked 2 (or is it 3) years in the member state they have moved to.

For some reason Ireland routinely ignores this rule when it comes to Roma people moving from other EU states. An exemption that directly led to a young woman being murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭star61

At present almost half of the 7,200 medical school places in Ireland are filled by students from outside the EU-EEA who pay fees. They go back home when they are qualified never even working here. If a percentage of the Irish students who qualify decide to travel to gain more experience with a wider array of medical conditions abroad that leaves us with a huge shortage of doctors. The government know this but are happy to import medical staff instead of funding Irish students education.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

This excuse is getting old, and we can unbind ourselves. It will take some effort and willingness from our government and dail to admit and be prepared to do something about it, but when a convention or treaty becomes detrimental to us we should free ourselves from it. It doesn't matter a bit that we entered it voluntary, when something goes against people of Ireland including existing asylum seekers then our leaders have a duty to do something about it. And that something isn't following the convention blindly. We should be looking at what Israel does, they are doing what is best for their people while giving 2 fingers to any international organisation who had something to say about it, including the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

excellent post.

Not even reading those.

An EU citizen moving to Ireland has no right to immediately claim Irish benefits (dole, illness, housing supports). We are under no obligation to give them until they have worked here for two (or is it three) years.

We choose to ignore this rule and hand them out to Roma people from Romania, Slovakia, Huingary etc.

In contrast, a blonde white Lithuanian man who arrived last week and goes into Intreo looking for dole and for them to find him a place to live would be laughed out of the place.

So you won't read actual links to official sites that explain how EU citizens can claim benefits in other member states?

It's like sticking your fingers in your ears and singing 'I can't hear you'

You cannot expect to be taken seriously if you just make up your own arguments🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Our own doctors, nurses, teachers are all leaving because the Irish government under FF/FG will not pay them properly. They also impose an austerity tax on them to work as public sector workers in Ireland (the pension levy). So frankly you have to pay thousands per year to even work as a doctor, nurse, teacher, garda, etc. . . There is absolutely no political will to change this and so they emigrate. FF/FG happy to let them emigrate and replace them with cheaper alternatives from foreign countries, mainly poorer countries from Asia/Africa in the health service.

This makes immigration not only necessary but ESSENTIAL as we literally wouldn't have a health system without those immigrants.

The same approach is now applying in education. Teachers from other countries with no understanding of the Irish language are being given permission to register and teach in schools in Ireland. The fact that Irish is mandatory is no longer an issue and, soon, it won't be to accommodate the influx of immigrants. This will dilute our own culture further.

This is neo-liberalist capitalism at its peak where nation states/cultures are a thing of the past and citizens of the world are your nation.

We better get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"You studied the International Protection Act, by reading a citizens advise website?😂"

It's the same information on IPA 15. You are some work, you never ever add to the this thread by just deflect and ask question after question each and every-time its near wasting my time trying to chat with you.

Both the links you've attached have around 50 links attached to it on Irish laws, absolute deflecting and brings nothing to your argument. You mentioned IPA 15 and I presented it to you and the very reason 60% are failing to be accepted under these rules.

You're completely deflecting and not accepting the very reason that 60% of those applying for IPA have failed.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41329981.html

My god you'll twist n turn and deflect. See you're doing the same with another 2 posters here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The dishonest ones are the government people who managed to get the Lisbon treaty voted through by negotiating opt outs they were never going to exercise or as suvigirl says were invalid anyway due to the 1951 Geneva convention whereby we have to house everyone who arrives here from anywhere in the world seeking asylum

The links I attached are the actual legislation.

What I add are facts and actual statistics to official websites. It may not suit some posters who are hysterically posting hyperbole and emotional rubbish. Oh, and I don't personally abuse other posters either.

I have no idea what your point is about 60% not reaching that standards for refugee status? The government have said that they will speed up the process, which is what we all want, yes?

I believe they can claim welfare from their own country.

So an unemployed Romanian could move here and claim their 40 quid a week or whatever Romanian dole is.

An EU citizen has no right to move to Ireland, claim Irish benefits of 230 a week or whatever the dole is, and get assistance from the state in obtaining a home.

If they are from the Roma community, we tend to ignore this and provide them with more rights than an Irish citizen.

"What I add are facts and actual statistics to official websites"

Yes legislation statuary book under IPA 15. Yes I've read it under many different websites including the 50 links you posted from the statuary book...

"Oh, and I don't personally abuse other posters either."

What do you mean by this? I never said you personally abuse other posters?

"I have no idea what your point is about 60% not reaching that standards for refugee status? The government have said that they will speed up the process, which is what we all want, yes?"

60% of people arriving here claiming IPA status have been rejected, its official words from ROG & MM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, excellent post. We had a great chance to build up our infrastructure with this windfall like a metro, more public transport, hospitals etc but apparently we need to look after the rest of the world. Spending 2 billion on a state of the art hospital for our children is a scandal but spending 5.5 billion on on Ukrainians is the least we can do in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I love statistics so let's look at your stats and not your cherry picked articles.

78.1% Irish

12.4% EU citizens

So 90.5% incarcerated in 2022 were Irish or European citizens.

Add in the 1.9% who were British.

And we are at 92.4% for people's who are Irish or have freedom to reside here.

7.6% have other immigration status.

So what exactly do these stats say to you poster about immigration and crime?

Yes. But I'm still not sure what the point is? They don't reach the standard required. And now the government have promised to speed up the process, let's hope they do.

I didn't post 50 links to anything, I posted 2 links to two pieces of legislation.

Why did you imply that all EU citizens have the right to move here and immediately claim our welfare and access housing supports, when such rights are reserved only for one small subset of EU citizens, as determined by their race more than anything?

"But I'm still not sure what the point is? "

Under the European law 2.1 of the Amsterdam treaty we don't need to opt into any asylum quotas under EU law that was my point regarding minsters saying its our "obligation".

Under IPA 15, I've no issues with people who are genuine AS or IP. The government mentioned that 60% arriving here applying under IPA 15 have failed doing so meaning there's only a 40% rate of successful applications.

That's the very point I was making to you last night and now this morning...

"And now the government have promised to speed up the process, let's hope they do."

Speeding up the process means absolutely nothing when people are been asked to self-deport, when they're not self-deporting.

Hence why people are asking what the hell are the government doing with enforcing the border??

I didn't say that. I posted links to how exactly jobseekers can come to Ireland and claim benefits. But you couldn't be bothered to read them. So!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You are making that up. There is no provision in law reserved only for Roma to access social welfare.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But the whole point of self deporting is that they just go. There is an office to assist them in that. The arrangements unit.

We don't know that they are definitely gone, but we don't know that they haven't. It's stupid really. But the above unit should have some way to keep track.

Not in law, but Intreo and housing officers are under instruction to bend the rules in order to provide welfare and housing supports to Roma who by the letter of the law do not qualify neither by stamps paid not the habitual residency condition.

How else do you think the likes of Jozef Puska got his house? In a competitive rental market unemployed people from a community stereotyped as troublesome are not at the top of most landlords wish lists, unless the rent, and any damages, is guaranteed by some other body (council, DSP, AHB)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

"But the whole point of self deporting is that they just go. There is an office to assist them in that. The arrangements unit."

They just go, as simply as that ? so people arriving from all over the world that failed under IPA 15 staying here for x amount of time they just go back. See this is not happening hence the reason we're under considerable strain especially when people are seeking legal aid on repealing their claim for IPA and failed and asked to self-deport.

Our Governments way of enforcing the border is by writing a letter to inform people about an unsuccessful claim of IPA or other refugee status.

Under the newstalk article from JAN 2024 above -

"He goes on to state that “people who come to Ireland and apply for International Protection are not illegal immigrants. They have the right to stay here until their application is accepted or refused, in which case a deportation order is issued.

"If they do not leave voluntarily, this is done forcibly," he wrote. "Last year, the speed at which decisions are made was increased considerably, and nearly a thousand deportation orders were issued — the highest ever”.

In Leo Varadkar's own words, “this is misinformation”. Sources within the international protection system have told me that “hardly anyone is deported if their application is rejected. Hundreds of people are ordered to leave the State but do not comply”.

The fact is, when an asylum seeker is given a deportation order, they are asked to self-deport. The Department of Justice does not even collect figures on this, they have no idea how many people self-deport.

Some IPAS accommodation centre managers have even told me they have residents still living in State provided accommodation who have been issued with deportation letters. A letter telling someone to self-deport can hardly be called forcibly removing someone, can it?"

"We don't know that they are definitely gone, but we don't know that they haven't. It's stupid really. But the above unit should have some way to keep track."

Snowball's chance in hell their definitely gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement