Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Who's the Chelsea defender that watched the ball sailing past him instead of trying to stop it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chelsea throwing this away with the defensive subs.

Appalling management.

Not a hope of City not getting a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's infuriating that teams make the same mistake over and over again.

Even limited players like Madueke or Mudryk could've been pivotal here - just one of them on the field with Nkunku would've been enough to stop City from fully dominating in your half, and give you a proper outball that could cut them open at any time.

Dropping back works against every team bar City. Yet, every team falls for dropping back 10 yards and inviting pressure until they score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Finishes 1-1.

Pleased they didn't give a penalty at the end there.

Fair play to Chelsea for at least hanging onto a point there. There was more there for them, but they've taken more than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No penalty for the handball because it somehow was in a natural position pulling a player to the ground by the jersey. VAR really is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Nkuknku doesn't like the defensive work does he? Or is he just very slow? He seemed very reluctant to press any Man City players when he came on, and no quickness to his play at all.

Chelsea deserved that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

For all of city’s quality seems there only option was flot balls in hoping Haaland would get on the end of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think every fan bar City ones will be happy with today, fair play to Arsenal and liverpool, making it a quality title race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Maddison is a class act. A credit to the club.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was a foul by a city player first so it should've just been a free out anyway. City can have no complaints

Looking at his game time, I see he's only started 2 games this season, and was injured between them, so I'd say he's just well off the pace physically and technically right now. He's definitely a quick player, as we saw at Leipzig, but i'm guessing it'll take a bit of settling in and game time before we see it.

Was an awful idea to leave him as the only attacker for the last 15 minutes or so though - needed 2 fit fast bodies up there to keep an active threat, and instead they seemed to just have 1 half fit rusty lad.

Micah Richards seems to have almost no tactical intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Haaland is clearly elite when it comes putting the ball in the net but when he ain't doing that does he do much else?

I'd guess that gets broken into two pieces - is he intentionally handling the ball? No. Is the pull enough for a penalty? Debatable, but they've obviously decided not. There isn't a cumulative effect from two potential issues happening together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

He is a pure and utter banter merchant, reminds me of when they used to wheel Kris Akabusi out on A Question of Sport back in the 80s, all braying laughter and little else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm not sure the word tactical is required in that sentence

Chelsea coming into form before the final next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

He's also completely biased towards City. I know Sky go for the "banter" side of things, and Carragher, Neville, Keane etc are as painful as any of them. But at least they will call out their respective clubs when needs be.

Michah will never say a word against his beloved City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

think he's a city ambassador. should rule him out of doing their games.

While people moan about Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher's bias (and Souness in the past), Micah Richards and Danny Mills are a stain on football coverage.

They're literally only there to fanboy on Manchester City. Mills said the other day that Bellingham wouldn't get in the City team. Richards said there that they're in '3rd gear'.

Just pointless to have on.

Walker was really bad for that Chelsea goal. He just left Sterling and ran away from him and instead just ran towards the Chelsea attacker that was already been covered by Akanji. Left Sterling in loads of space instead.

Walker has always been culpable to brain farts or not being switched on but has used his pace to bail him out of bad positioning.

But for some reason he seems to have gained this mythical 'all round defender' moniker in the last couple years. Maybe cos he's English and they love to overhype their own. Some like to call him the best ever RB in the premier league history, which is funny IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ha ha, absolutely spot on. You got me cackling like Kris here myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I dunno, think Walker is excellent in most departments.

I miss when Zivchenko played for City because he always gave up chances.

As an aside, have to laugh at Sky headlines that "Haaland shoves camera in frustration". Maybe he just doesn't like a camera in his face panning for a full 360 degrees pan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You just reminded me of a thing that was said many years, in the 90s. They were discussing the best left backs at the time and they mentioned Le Saux and a few others. I can't remember who it was but he said you constantly hear about these full backs and they get caught out of position and get back and make a tackle and everybody raves about them for it. None of them are the best though he continued. It's the guy who is rarely mentioned because he never makes mistakes and that's Denis Irwin.

Even today when you hear them talking about the best left backs in Premier league history Denis Irwin is only about sixth on the list which is ridiculous.

Walker is one of those whose got away with a lot of mistakes because of his pace. He's never been that good in my opinion.

I'm interested to see what happens at Liverpool now. This Conor Bradley looks like a great one. There's going to be loads of people in his ear telling him to look for a new contract with guaranteed starts as part of it. There will be lots of bids put in for him in the summer. He's fighting with TAA for a spot in the team. He might even be better than TAA.

Steve Finnan was another in that vain, an incredibly solid fullback who didn't often need heroics because he just kept things locked down. Chipped in on the attack too, and was remarkably two footed for a fella people don't think of as 'technical'.

Wouldn't be too worried about Bradley given his age. He's getting game time at a big club at 20, and he's showing his value. Wouldn't think there would be any consideration of "guaranteed starts" at this point - that's quite a rarity in football contracts outside of loan deals.

Given Trent's clear preference to move into midfield sooner rather than later - and him being in the midst of his own contract negotiations at the moment - Bradley's situation is likely a problem that solves itself.

I was a big Steve Finnan fan back in the day. No nonsense style and very underrated. Even among Ireland fans I think he was underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You hear people talking about Cole as the best left back, I watched a popular video on youtube recently that had him as the best back ever, ahead of Maldini or Carlos or whoever.

People can think what they like, but if I am picking a best PL 11 then Irwin is playing, and and the only reason he isn't left back is if I decide to put him at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Cole was very good though. Thoroughly unlikable character, but a brilliant player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

JosimarFootball have an interesting thread on Man City’s sponsors which Boards isn’t allowing me to post. But to anyone with a brain or conscience, you’ll know what it’s about. Check it out on the site that Musk ruined

Cole was a brilliant defender, miles better than the likes of Walker etc....but a better left back than Maldini, absolutely no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The video was saying that Maldini might be a better defender and Carlos a better attacker, but Cole was the better all round.

Which is a load of bollocks, and while I rated Cole he is severely overrated in these discussions.

While thinking about this, I see that Robertson has the same goals and more assists in 200 less games than Cole did. Thats actually crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cole gets a huge boost by being English thus hyped to oblivion. I'd have Evra ahead of Robertson followed by Clichy and Cole the next rung down.

What rarely gets taken into account is the manager and teams that players play for.

It's the classic chicken and egg. Is a player great because of trophies? Or do you simply trust your eyes? The answer is a combination of both.

Walker is a PL great, but your eyes tell you his greatness is partly down to Guerdiola's system. He's a brilliant recovery defender, but positionally, as dodgy as most.

Cole is a PL great, and your eyes tell you he's good positionally, with recovery pace, but isn't as good in attack as he should be.

Neville, another PL great, but the eyes tell you he's very disciplined, is extremely coachable, played is Ferguson's team, could cross, but didn't have the pace and raw ability of others.

Irwin is another great, but your eyes tell you he did everything to a high standard, while also hitting a mean set piece.

Don't trust anyone who just uses stats to back up their argument. There has to be an eye test balance.

Cole was suberb. Best LB in the PL era imo.

I do you have to be mindful of the different styles of play when comparing players across different eras too.

From 2016-2022 ish, the PL has the winger type full backs. A lot of full backs now seem to be either covering CBs or inverting midfielders. These players have to be technically excellent and are expected to be an attacking hub in the team.

The 90s had a different mentality with full backs being defenders first. Attacking was not one of the primary concerns. It was much lower down the list. Being solid defensively and not letting your winger beat you was much more important. Show him down the line etc. Neville played as a CB for England in a back 3 if memory serves me correctly, so that showed the mindset that that era of defenders had. Even the full backs just wanted to defend, not just CBs.

The 2005-2015 ish era was a bit of both mixed together. Have to be competent at both, without excelling, so sometimes players like Azpilcueta get overlooked. A bit of the Neville about him and Ivanovic in that they seemed to be more traditional defenders asked to be played as a wide defender.

There was a good piece a few years ago about defenders being born in the wrong era. They used Aaron Wan Bissaka as the example of being a great 90s full back but a poor 20s full back.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cole was better than evra for a longer period so seals it for me

Irwin was better than evra too a d could play both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Watching MOTD here, some awful VAR calls. Toney should have had a penalty, Neco Williams should as well. And it’s so inconsistent, Schar gets one for clear holding whilst Jota was wrestled to the ground and didn’t get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ferguson not starting for Brighton even though Joao Pedro is still out. Has De Zerbi lost faith? If Wellbeck really is a better bet at centre-forward maybe Man United should look at buying him back instead of blowing their wad on Ferguson...

Must be upgraded to a red, and it is.

Holgate with a wild tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Holgate was always a nasty piece of work. That deserves far more thank a 3 game ban.

I'm aware that players like Timber & Jesus have had their long term injury problems but Arsenal have been relatively injury free this season. Certainly in comparison to other teams.

Raya

White Gabriel Saliba

Rice Odegaard Havertz

Saka Martinelli

Those players are all in their main starting 11, irrespective of who is available and they missed a combined 5 PL games through injury this season. Arsenal having the majority of games with 8/9 of their main starting players having full availability is a major help in the title race, especially at this stage of the season.

I don't think Arsenal are better than Liverpool or Man City but having key players available more frequently is something they have over the other teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There should be some sort of review committee who can look.at tackles like that and increase ban lengths. You could end a player's career with a reckless tackle like that.

Mass confusion there, but Brighton have taken the lead.

Welbeck makes it 0-2.

How did the referee only give a yellow card for that Holgate 'tackle'?

Has to be given more than the 3 game ban IMO. Dangerous, reckless and could do serious damage to Mitoma. The cheek to even complain then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Looks like the other SU player runs across the line of sight of the ref when the tackle is made and he can't see where Holgate makes contact?

Lucky Mitoma leg wasn't planted or that could have dislocated his knee.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement