Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see Putin was mocking Carlson's intelligence. He expected sharper questions. Yet he is afraid to sit down with the likes of the BBC who will give him a proper grilling, unlike Carlson who let him in engage in monologues without interruption. He was openly mocking him during the interview too.

Saddam's intelligence service used to test if it did within his inner circle by planting the idea of a western coup in the minds of those closest to him. As regards Putin, being en ex spy he is likely even more paranoid. He likely has an insurance policy as you say that if anyone moves against him their nearest and dearest will get it. They also benefit from his rule, so they won't contemplate making a move while that lasts. If the CIA really wanted to they could probably get to him, but given the enormous potential ramifications they will never do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder could Zaluzhny have the last laugh on Zelensky yet. If Ukraine don't make notable gains this year Zelensky's popularity might well wane domestically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭rogber

Definitely possible. As per the guardian article I posted earlier, there are cracks in Ukraine's political front, also Klitschko basically said Ukraine is now a state in which one man makes almost the decisions and more questions are starting to be asked.

Zelensky has done a great job so far but patience with him may run out if this year does not go well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What more can he possibly do to help Ukraine on the battlefield??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If they can hold what they have while pounding the Russians especially their oil infrastructure and its earning capacity they will do ok. Wait for the Russians to crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I dunno how the west welcomes every made in China, while China supports Russia. The West have a lot of leverage over China, time to use it. Already I'm seeing BYD cars everywhere

Yes and all we are doing in Europe is buying Chinese stuff like their electric cars and putting European manufacturers out of business.

China of laughing all the way. Worrying times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Maybe because everything is made in China, and to China, this war is as far from them as the Iraq war was from us.

Very few people in Europe were boycotting American products during the second Gulf war.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭highpitcheric

Russia could have kept lukewarm relations with the west, addressed any territorial conflicts with international law, diplomacy, even trade war.

Yet still could have kept the European fuel market (and kept making a tidy income), stayed free of international sanctions, kept those 250,000 lives, prevented brain drain and worker losses, spent billions less on military, kept their black sea fleet intact. They wouldn't have had to lock up protestors, or fight mysterious fires which keep popping up, or brown nose China. Their oligarch billions wouldn't be frozen. Wagner wouldn't have staged a near coup. And 100 other problems could have been avoided.

They even could possibly have shmoozed and romanced Ukraine to be their buddy. Now they have a multi generational sworn enemy. (while other powers gain an ally). And no doubt theres been gigantic intel leaking/transfers, to western countries by now, some of their best will have turned their back on the regime out of disgust, others can sense which way the wind is blowing and want to be in the good books, others still can see hot opportunities for quick cash/passports in all the chaos. Before it all falls down.

All this for marginal territorial gain.

All that is on one side of the books. And over on this side ... Avdiivka. Ruined hamlet, population 0. No economy.

What a win.

• Advertisement

Funny how any facts that diverge from your opinion are labelled propaganda and smearing. Quite similar to the approach the Russian media takes.

Thankfully, Ukraine is moving towards an open, democratic society where debate and criticism are allowed. Something you seem very uncomfortable with.

Probably not much. I also think Zelensky has generally done an excellent job and showed great heroism and did so much to bring Ukraine together and get foreign support.

I'm merely reporting what's written in reliable sources: politics are moving again in Ukraine and there are some divisions. This is inevitable, especially in a democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

About the best summation so far and they have forced Ukraine to look westward instead of East.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Worth mentioning Russia had a Moscow friendly quisling in charge ...who was then ousted by popular unrest and fled to Russia with a tonne of cash.

Russia don't do "soft power" or any kind of subtly of romance of neighbours. They lurched form absolutist monarchy to communist dictatorship and so they only understand the stick; carrots are just a root vegetable to them - and Ukraine 2022+ is the chickens coming home to roost. Assuming this story doesn't yet have a depressing ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@macraignil - "How do you know putin is not having a manpower shortage?"

Straight up I dont. It is based on a pretty good assumption that being a dictator and a regime he well controls plus Russia's approx 145m people to date he has been able to keep on pouring meat into the grinder from that pool. Read much about Avdiivka recently and as with other places Ukraine forces saying Russia just keeps pouring in bodies into the front lines repeatedly until they gain that piece of ground, they dont care. Ukraine forces ( In fact also Zelensky at security conf ) mentioned recently with ref to Avdiivka that the Russian losses were 7 to 1 ( UKR soldier ). That they would blitz a position with shells, kill all and within jig time more russian troops would pour in to the same position.

Zelensky also recently said the UKR forces were having recruitment / draft difficulties, cannot get replacements for the UKR troops who have been on the front for 2 years. That the laws are being looked at and change to happen.

Heard yesterday on CNN I think, Putin once made president again in the upcoming elections will be in this time until about 2035 and will renew with gusto a draft but NOT just initiate this in the far flung poor regions but now will have the control to do this in Moscow and St Petersburg ( Russia proper ) regions. These places have remained relatively untouched to date re draft.

Finally the numbers are a thing surely - Russia Population about 145m people .. all up for grabs where Putin is concerned. Ukraine population about 40m ..

I have no doubt Ukraine losses are not to far off the reported russian losses of about 300,000???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This probably merits another thread? Pretty damning stuff too ..

"Now Ireland is again considering how best to deal with Russia, its sprawling Dublin embassy and the nefarious activities of its intelligence services on Irish soil amid warnings from western governments concerned about the potential for war on Europe’s eastern border.

The government is also coming under pressure from Europe to protect and police the waters off the Irish coast containing undersea cables amid fears of Russian interference ... The concern across Europe and Nato focuses on Ireland’s unwillingness to confront Russia and acknowledge the scale of the threat its spying agencies pose, and its inability to defend its own interests.

.... They ( defence forces, Garda ) also know Russia’s Federal Agency for Government Communications and Information (Fapsi) is spying here, deploying vans full of equipment that can intercept private communications. More recently, Ireland has been warned Unit 29155, an elite GRU unit that conducts sensitive foreign operations including assassinations and targeted attacks, might be operating here."

Quote one statement in which I said Zelensky is an autocrat.

You can't. Because I didn't make one. I quoted, without passing any judgment, the mayor of Kiev. Is he a Putin puppet spreading Russian propaganda in your eyes? Yes or no, simple question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭macraignil

"I have no doubt Ukraine losses are not to far off the reported russian losses of about 300,000???"

I'm confused by your post. You mention hearing of a ratio of losses of 7 to 1 on part of the front yet you then go on to claim to have no doubt Ukrainian losses are not far off losses among the moskovytes. 7 to 1 is not that close a number between the two armies and you would need the ratio to be in favour of putin's troops in many areas to balance the type of ratio I remember being mentioned in relation to the assaults putin's forces were making on Bakhmut before Ukraine pulled its troops back to save lives in its armed forces.

The figure recorded by the armed forces of Ukraine for losses in putin's forces is over 400,000 and is clearly shown in my previous post yet you claim a number 100,000 less. Sounds to me like you are trying to inflate the losses of Ukraine's armed forces and reduce the estimated number of losses in putin's forces just to fit your theory that there is going to be a sudden shift in the conflict in favour of putin's terrorists. While I do think putin's terrorist state is a huge threat to Europe I can't see Ukraine allowing putin to have any sort of victory and will continue the slow bleed of his resources as we have consistently seen over the last two years of the more widespread war in Ukraine.

The witch Claire Daly on the week in politics spouting Russian propaganda and blaming Ukraine for increasing its military capabilities before Russia invaded.

Basically its Ukraines fault for preparing for Russia invading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,352 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it was 1939 Daly would be on defending the Nazi Soviet pact and the right of them to dismember Poland and murder.

She is absolutely morally and intellectually bankrupt.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭zv2

She's a ranting zealot with an infantile grasp of world affairs.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Daly would be blaming Poland for getting invaded, and a consequence for French & British interference. Up to Dunkirk she'd be decrying the empire games of both countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Ukraine we're due elections in March this year. Probably in Zelenski's interest to host them this year while he has enough support to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

How the hell are you supposed to hold elections when the country is getting bombed daily? When millions are displaced, when 100's of thousands troops are the Frontline. God love the officials trying to hold elections in the occupied areas. Do you think the Russians would allow that? Do you think the elections would be fair if millions are unable to vote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement