Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

From an Irish point of view it would probably mean Picard, Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds and Discovery would move to Sky/Now entertainment pass as that's where Peacock stuff is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Rawr

Over here in Scandinavia Paramount+ was closed down about a year ago and replaced with «Sky Showtime» which is a pecular mix of the BSkyB branding and CBS’s «Showtime» brand. Appears to mostly be the Paramount+ offering with some extras. Since I’ve subscribed to neither, I’m not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My biggest worry would be how terrible the NowTV app is. Puts me off even turning it on for anything except sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I subscribed briefly to NowTV but unsubscribed immediately as the app on my TV wouldn't work. One of those accept cookie things with no way to actually accept or reject and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Once its not a Viacpm fiasco.

Where one group had the rights for some Trek stuff and a other group had the rights for the other stuff. Creating a huge bureaucracy to use simple items that one group has the rights for.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

I could be wrong as my knowledge is flimsy but Spiderman is going through something like this right now where Sony can only make Spiderman movies that don't have Spiderman in them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's about the sum of it: they CAN make animated movies and by fluke we have got the fabulous Spider-Verse films, and Tom Holland's appearance in the MCU was some kind deal done between Marvel and Sony. But yeah, Sony can't make their own Spidey movie anymore.

Bizarrely Sony DO have access to Spider Gwen, Spiderwoman and all the many (many!) non Peter Parker Spider heroes. Why they haven't made a live action Gwen Stacy film and doubled down on those awful 'villain' movies is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could be down to wanting Emma Stone but she doesn't want to come back? Or maybe Hailee Steinfeld but she's too recognisable as Kate Bishop in live action.

But never mind that... Star Trek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You say that now, but give it a few years American entertainment will have merged enough times Trek and the MCU will be under the same corporation; our floating heads in jars will be lamenting Star Trek x Guardians of the Galaxy VII: Picard's Revenge.

Gonna be very interesting when Uhura meets Gamora.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Or Professor X meeting Picard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ironically if that happened in Star Trek but there could be no Starfleet characters but from Klingon or Cardassian POV I'd be in. But maybe we would only be allowed aliens that havent actually appeared in screen yet.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sure Patrick Stewart would not mind getting a double job and pay in one film lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

FMV interactive movie games; man we never had it so ... good?

You gotta love how they managed to pull off ST:Borg in the cheapest way they could manage.

You've got:

• Reused TNG stock footage of a Galaxy Class
    • Reused & unaltered Voyager sets to depict that Galaxy Class
    • Got the cast to wear Voyager's stock of unforms on the USS Rightious, and just swapped to the TNG-era Comm badge (I guess they were short on TNG uniforms)
    • Reused the Excelsior bridge from the Voyager episode with Sulu. (This makes sense)
    • The USS Rightious computer core is just Voyager's main engineering with the warp-core hidden by a temporary wall.
    • The USS Rightious Helmswoman is the same actress who was also one of the first Enterprise-E crewmembers to be assimilated in First Contact (Borg & First Contact were made at roughtly the same time)

It's fun to see the juxposition between this and the bigger-budget First Contact that was made at the same time.

It's fun to watch Star Trek: Borg, but I kind of feel like it should be renamed: "Star Trek: Hang out with Q for a day". It is pretty much, "Q: The Game" :P

I'm old enough to remember the whole concept being cutting edge and putting that shiny new CD-ROM drive to it's greatest use.

I retrospect is was all so very stupid....

Ms

Is Star Trek: Borg an actual film or is it just bits from a Star Trek game with the same name?

Where can I watch it? Have never seen it never even heard of it untill this week 😞.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

Is ir a chose your own adventure type thing?

I remember someone put a playable* fighting game on YouTube using the old on-screen annotations as inputs

*it wasn't exactly twitch and timing heavy

It's exactly that. "Playing" Star Trek: Borg involves watching this mini Trek-movie and very occasionally using your mouse to choose what happens next. If you choose wrong you die and Q teases you in the afterlife before "resetting" you to give you another chance to make the correct choice.

Some of you might remember this,

But star trek Borg ,disc 2 or disc 3 came with a bonus of clips and a ton of Star Trek episodes trailers. Was class at the time.

All Eyes On Rafah

Ms

Now this below is what the next Star Trek series should be on and about,

Yes maybe the ship does look a little fat but it's not the worst looker and I would happily watch a series on this set in the 26th Century with a whole new crew.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Star Trek: Odyssey might sound like pretty good Trek title, if such a show was set on a USS Odyssey. Alas I’ve never been a fan of the Odyssey Class itself, it feels like a very bizarre and uneven extension of the Sovereign Class design. But in fairness the old Galaxy Class design also seemed clunky back in the day but I grew to love that class over the years of TNG. If they did something good with an Odyssey, maybe I’d warm up to her too.

Ms

Yes it could be a great title. If this series was done hopefully it would not be like TNG and Voyagercwhere they are constantly going back to a Starbase or some planet to get repairs. Tgat really bugged me especially in TNG. This ship is practically a starbase that travels so there is so many options. Could have some smaller Voyager sized vessels from it that go to planets nearby and we could follow a different crew every third week or so. It shoukd be way out where no Federaition ship has ever gone before.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I’d be tempted to go along the lines of having the Odyssey go on a planned journey beyond the Milky Way Galaxy to visit the next nearest Galaxy.

So a multi decade trip, or even some kind of shorter 5-year journey using Trans-Warp test engines. A real «final frontier» kind of story where the whole point is to completely leave the safety of The Federation and create a link with another galaxy.

We already had S1 Picard rip off Mass Effect and the Reapers. We dont need another Mass Effect Andromeda rip off or Stargate Atlantis might habe covered all the cool plotlibes for that! lol. Although I get what you are saying, I think it's been kinda done with Voyager, the whole long distance thing.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
Advertisement