Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Calves 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what your saying about the calves on farms now and trying to find a market for them and listening to advisors etc, one farm near here is milking 320 Jex cows and crossed with a Je or small AA bull and brought to the mart each week and no bid and who ever wants them can take them away. The owner is always running Seamus down for not giving decent prices for calves. Lads have taken these calves and lots have ended up in the knackery, there is only one fella for calves in Longford. The dairy man has to wake up to these calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭White Clover

Spot on. That's what happens when farmers make breeding decisions predominantly from looking at figures on a screen. When a farm is full of the wrong type of stock, lads don't realize how poor they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Theirs a weird scenario now where icbf have all your recorded data for dairy herds on calves killed and slaughtered in Ireland, its a great piece of data and should be put up on mart-boards when a farmers calves are been sold, but that won't happen as it destroys a certain narrative they've created with their ebi system to hammer international bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Grueller

It's not diction Bass. The man is not nice and its not business, yet you were projecting your experience of a different individual onto him.

I know dealers are necessary in the trade, but his level of ignorance, arrogance and downright bully tactics aren't necessary and anyone who attended the beef protests at Clohamon wil agree with me. I've wasted enough time talking about him now, I really couldn't care enough about him to keep arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

So all them lads Que up this year and seamus comes along and says “no, can’t buy yours, you haven’t bought my powder”

He'd have a hard job gathering calves I would reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's also a potential other side. Seamus could also say "you can't buy my calves if you don't buy my powder for them".

Most recognise what he's trying to do is create his own monopoly on the market.

If the powder is good quality. And good value. Farmers will buy it. If not then. The monopoly still hasn't been created and closed yet.

A little tune for a Sunday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I don't know but I suspect it ll make no difference down south as he probaly is making a much higher margin on calves from down south

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's very simple what beef farmers want and what dairy farmers want, and there is quite a bit of gap between them.

Beef farmers want

1. Healthy calf, well fed with colostrum

2.in the 3-4 week age bracket

3. Good genetic potential in terms of CW and grading.

Dairy farmers want

1 Easy calving

2. Moved at 10-20 days

Regulation is going to move to sort the age at which calves can move.

Demand will always sort price. Just look at fr bulls and where they land at the moment I'm personally sick of rearing and finishing AAs. Have been at it for over 10 years. The past 3 years has lead to less and less of them being purchased. I'm moving more and more towards stock that has been bred with a straw. You might as why? CW and grading has been sliding on a downward spiral. Some of the stock bulls out there would want to be seriously examined.

Why is this happening with calves. It's very simple. Dairy farmers have taken the eye off the ball on the quality of beef sires used. Low carcase weight and confirmation. Couple this with the reduction of LW of the cow and we have a double whammy of hit on CW.

Every dairy farmer here reading this has to remember that approx 70-80% of you calves are going towards beef be that in Ireland or on the continent.

I pose these two self reflection questions to dairy farmers here.

How much time and consideration do you give in the sire selection of dairy traits etc in your future replacements?

Now the crux one. How much time do you give to sire selection of beef straws and stock bulls in terms of beef traits, namely CW and confirmation?

The answer is simple. Less and less to beef sires the only focus now is calving ease and gestation. Taking your eye off beef traits for the past number of years has landed us in this hole. The only way out is bred a better calf, and for your farm it could be simple as bull choice, but a worrying situation is it could require both change to cow and bull.

Remember I was a dairy farmer until 15 years ago

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

That's a broad stroke Mr.stonewall. The CBV of my calves this year run from the lowest at €128 up to €220 at the highest all bar one Friesian bull at €6.

Stockbulls can be got with low calving difficulty and yet give a good calf. I have two of those and a few ai beef calves then. Remember, I was a beef farmer until 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Meanwhile ICBF are crucifying/downgrading the actual beef breeds. Go figure, as they say.

It's a broad stroke and as always there are exceptions. Just look at the evidence and it shows the facts.

1 Since the abolishment of quota, many herds dropped their beef enterprise to up cow numbers. This has taken there focus primarily to cows

2. Teagasc blueprint for stock the farm heavily 1st and worry about the building and calves later. Just remember the Pat Dillion comment - oh we forgot about the calves

3. The number of calf to beef operations. Only 40% last after 5 years. The big question is why.

4. The kiwi model here. They have the outlet of bobbying. We have limited capacity

I have to applaud CBV figures like yours. This is where we need to be going, and clearly shows that you have put time into beef sire selection unlike many others. Looking at the marts online during the week Fr bulls were regularly coming at -€30 to -€50 and any Aax were sub €100.

@Grueller you have said you still have some sucklers. It's not that long ago since you were dealing with export quality weanling. That is some apprenticeship to have done on the fundamentals of beef breeding.

Ah yeah I know all of that Mr.stonewall. I don't disagree really but the other side of the coin is that I have had calf readers in the yard telling me that calves are gone to sh1te and not wanting to give me any more than a KYA bred Angus for 5 week old limousin calves with about €100 worth of milk inside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

If your sick of rearing the AA calves what are you thinking to rear instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

Aww very good sorry I misread that. Have you seen a Hugh difference when there hanging up?

The CBV is now your friend thanks to genotyping. Them type of folks will always be there. The same is there with cattle dealers and the mart trade. Now with the CBV each calf should be able to stand on its own merit and not that of a breed or colour. it's simple for these lads, if you not happy, skip on as good stock always have a market

A lot of it goes back to lads been burnt with poor calves that can't put on sufficient weight at 24 months. There will always be a small % but this cohort is growing year on year

Long term the way I feel the trade will go is towards reared calves at 8-10 weeks. This will suit the better calf better.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Jack98

Unless export is stopped can’t see the calf type on a lot of farms being changed dramatically, there is a lot still happy to take 10-20€ for calves as long as their gone out of the yard, I know plenty making fortunes from collecting and slaughtering calves every year also that needs to be stopped also as it’s not a good look at all. A lot of dairy farmers don’t have any interest in rearing for 8-10 weeks the surplus to requirement calves and that’s the trade off for numbers and nitrates is compounding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think lads rearing Dairy calves will cop on to the CBV with genotyped proof over time. That should wean out the KYAs over time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,471 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Will cbv be on board in mart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Do you honestly think lads buying calves will have any interest in cbv….I’ve sold calves to 3 different buyers not even mentioned they bought based on calf they saw …one asked was there je breeding as of there was he’d be out ….cbv is of little to no benefit to beef farmers as it’s more geared to a beef calf that dosnt upset breeding plan etc of the dairy farmer ….I say that as a dairy farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

I think your mixing up cbv and the DBI. The CBV looks only at the commerical beef value.

Lad that buys calves off us and would rear to finish over 100 calves said it's very accurate. If the lads rearing calves us it will make dairy lads use better bulls. Should make it a lot easier for calf to beef farms to avoid the rubbish

Even if the CBV is only partly accurate, it should help improve things. I watched yearlings selling recently and a lot had the CBV value up on the board.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The slaughter of calves less than 8 weeks is stopped for dairy farmers. You will fail your Bord Bia inspection and the co-op will not collect your milk. Even if you seel to another farmer and he slaughters a substantial number before 8 weeks 8ts still your responsibility AFAIK.

In the UK if a dairy sell calves to a source where there is substantial calf mortality, his ability to supply certain dairies is prevented. We are heading that way.

CBV will catch on especially negative values. EBI took a while to catch on in the dairy sector.

There will be anomalies. Lads doing fresians on a grass based system will ignore it. Exporters will use it pretty fast for coloured calves. When calves ate discounted enough things will change. The fat that calf movement is heading round 4-5 weeks will change calf breeding direction as well. Several parts are weighting calves at present

Slava Ukrainii

Nearly 80% of the time down by at least 20kg ok CW and at least a grade on grid and longer to get to the finish line

Ennis mart have it up anyway. This from during the week.

Long term yes. I will be looking for it this year. It's proof of genetic potential and the beef traits of the calf on the ground. I have been fooled for too long with solid black calves having no je breeding.

Farmers are going to wise up to it and use it more and more and the next area to be hit will be AAs out of heifers. These tend to be extremely easy calving, low carcase weights and poor confirmation.

Putting the head in the sand and denying that beef breeding has to change on the dairy herd, is denying that we have a problem. Small sublte changes in breeding would have real positive impact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

A lot of the calves had no cbv value or I must have missed it from the few I watched back on lsl. I bought fr calves directly from a dairy farmer, I'm paying icbf, should I be able to view this on icbf, was looking but could not find it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

They may not have submitted samples for NGP, I don't its compulsory yet.

• Advertisement

There will be an estimated CBV anyway. The herdowner would be able to show you but I don't think you can view stock in someone else's herd.

Advertisement