Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some dirt sheets have The Rock scheduled for EC in Australia, probably need a big name to sell more tickets now no Punk, Seth and Roman

A segment with Grayson Waller?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Aye rumours of it not selling well appear to be greatly unfounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mick Foley wants to do one last death match before his 60th Birthday and plans to use that as way to lose 100lbs to get in shape for it.

If Mick wants to lose a 100lbs he must be in bad shape right now. Using the idea of one last match to motivate him to lose that weight isn’t a good sign really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If mick wants to lose weight then great. But he under no circumstances should be back in a ring.

Brian Gewirtz will be in the mix as the voice representing The Rock in WWE’s creative process going forward. 

There are some who believe Gewirtz will be around physically at least for major shows going forward, could even be there as a “Plan B” if Endeavor ever needs to pivot WWE's direction and go with a Dwayne Johnson backed creative team down the line.  

— PWInsider

Looks like HHH's control has decreased

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I honestly don’t see HHH being around by summer. with the Vince scandals there’s no way his son in law will get away unscathed from all this.

He may not have participated but he had to have known about it and played some part in covering things up.

The Rock hated Shawn Michaels and HHH as they politiced Vince against him on his way up.

There will be a more a few wrestlers hoping the Rock finally ends the Kliq now I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"The Rock hated Shawn Michaels and HHH...."

Quarter of a century ago. I'd wager with both of them pushing their mid 50s, backstage politicking is water under the bridge and has been for a while.

That said, HHH will likely have to go. No way he didn't know at least some of what Vince was up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I see it as The Rock becoming what the Kliq were to him by keeping the likes of Cody down, so there is no glory in it, and also nothing to be celebrated in The Rock "ousting" Michaels and HHH.

The Rock has been making tone deaf after tone deaf moves for a decade in Hollywood, from fracturing the FF franchise to an embarrassingly bad attempt at strong arming DC. He is certainly not a messiah for WWE creative. Anything he books would be as fake and plastic as the man is himself.

Yeah and then he wanted his thing in that universe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He came in, and added massively to the films, to the point they became these billion dollar box office monsters.

Then him and Vin had a big clash of ego, where both wanted to be the stars. So they split them into their own films….and the series started declining in terms of money making draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And now they've apparently made up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Rock could be head of creative if Triple H walks/gets the boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The Rock rejuvenated the F&F franchise when he starred in Fast Five, but Fast Five saved his Hollywood career because it was floundering before that.

PWInsider reporting WWE are no longer interested in Kamille.

That’s a shocker to me she is ready made for them in my eyes and could go straight to the main show and back it up in the ring

She now in talks with AEW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess with Jade there along with others such as Charlotte, Bianca, Rhea and Ivy plus ones in NXT, they have that look covered pretty well.

Looking at her Wikipedia, I wonder if her husband being Charlotte's ex husband was a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Supposedly she's interested in opportunities outside wrestling like acting which she might not get from WWE right away

I use to watch NWA back before the pandemic and wasn't impressed with her ring work what so ever so I hope she has improved since then. The likes of Rosa and Deeb carried her alot during their matches

• Advertisement

WarnerBrosDiscovery/ Disney & Fox and joining together to launch an online sports streaming platform.

That could be a big deal for AEW if they get put on it.

WWE has reached a legends deal with the Pillman family estate.

New Brian Pillman merch on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah, the Rock is turning heel, right? Cody also tweeted that he has 'made his decision', it's gotta be a triple threat, surely.

Progress wrestling in the UK and Defy wrestling in the US have joined together in a merger today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Interesting news with Defy alright. Already concern online that Defy will no longer be Seattle centric and will run less shows here. Good news for my promotion though as we're looking to expand into Washington next. Also planning an LA show in partnership with another decently known indie. 2024 should be fun!

Billy Jack Haynes has been arrested for the murder of his wife.

Mongo inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Okada has apparently chosen AEW, WWE just can't seem to sign the big names from other promotions

• Advertisement

I think naturally a lot of the talent that came through NJPW will gravitate towards AEW, it's the most natural progression. Okada is really close with the Bucks too so not surprised.

Dom on WrestleMania

“I have no idea what I’m doing at Mania. I don’t really get a head’s up on anything when it comes to creative and stuff. Tell me what to do and I’ll do my best to go out there and make it look as best as possible to the best of my abilities. I’m not in the position to be politicking. I’m very blessed to be in the position that I’m in, so I’m not going to be poking at any bears or any fingers or anything. Tell me what to do and I’m here for it. I’m happy. I’m having a blast doing it, especially with the crew that I’m doing it with. I’ve become actual friends with everybody there. So being able to just go out there and have fun and beat the sh*t out of people, I’m having a blast.”

(K100)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

There must be more to that story, not that it in any way excuses a murder. According to Wikipedia, which could be wrong, he was married to the deceased for two years and she was 85 and stricken with dementia at the time of her murder. That's a good 15 years older than Billy Jack. Again, murder is murder but I'm thinking the premiere episode of Dark Side series 6 could be a cracker.

WWE's senior writer has left the company, Jennifer Pepperman has been with the company since 2017 and has been the main writer for the Smackdown women's division.

She wan't sacked leaving was her own choice.

WON: AEW talent is reportedly frustrated with Tony Khan, feeling the popularity is steadily declining, even though Khan presents the product in a 'stronger' light:

"There is also frustration from a lot of circles since talent comes to the shows and sees the smaller crowds since the start of the year. Khan always paints a positive picture about the company being stronger due to increased revenues, or bringing up ratings, and there’s the feeling that popularity is declining overall and changes have to be made to turn it around and he’s acting like everything is fine".

It's his job to paint things in a positive light. He's not gonna come out and be like; "Half empty Dynamite crowds are a bit shìt."

Although defending things by citing Cagmatch ratings is ridiculous.

People in those executive positions are just professional spoofers for the most part.

Talk about tone deaf but what more can you expect from wrestling promotors to be honest.

Velveteen Dream makes his wrestling comeback and the people who ran the show also had one of the women raped by Vince McMahon as there guest time keeper on the same show.

Business is booming at the moment.

• Advertisement

Wild how face Cody was despised by AEW fans yet he is adored in WWE, getting cheered over The Rock, helping them do their best business in yonks and will, in all likelihood, win the main event at Mania.

Betting on himself worked out big time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ultimately, I think "despise" is too strong.

It was pretty obvious the character he was trying to play, and the stories he was trying to tell, weren't connecting with the audience at all. Part of that is Tony, part of that is Cody, part of that is accepting there's different audiences in play. The crowd were vocal about not enjoying the stories Cody was telling, as wrestling crowds are entitled to do.

My memory is thinking Cody was a WWE wrestler in the AEW environment, and the crowd were into AEW specifically because they didn't want WWE styles of characters and storytelling. So it shouldn't be a shock he's turned out to be a stronger fit for WWE when he's returned. Some characters will just suit different shows in different ways.

Personally, I find it wild how some people feel determined to pick one side and slate another, when the reality is it's never been a better time to be a wrestling fan, and you have loads of great options right now. I don't get why people hyper focus on the stuff they don't like. WWE is great right now. AEW has a lot of great things happening too.

Isn't it great the industry we love is thriving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, exactly. A problem for Cody in his last while in AEW was he didn't have an adversary too. It's hard to be that ultra-sincere face without a proper heel to contrast it with. His run against Black was decent enough, but once that ended it just became Cody Vs the audience, with him doing everything he could to appeal and pander to them directly (flaming table spot), rather than as a byproduct of whatever story he was in.

Context is important for character to work, and the WWE context with Roman as the big bad is perfect for Cody's white knight, especially when you add in the legacy and 'finishing the story' etc - it's borderline fairytale stuff (in a good way).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Sure some people are so obsessive they really need to get a life as it isn't healthy.

It's obvious that I much prefer AEW but I am delighted for Cody and will watch Wrestlemania to see him finish the story just like I did last year hoping he would win last year.

Even though I stopped watching RAW and Smackdown along time ago I always keep an eye on Dirty Dom,R-Truth and Rhea every week on whatever segments they are in online as I really enjoy them.

Cody also backed himself into a corner in AEW when he said he would never challenge again for the AEW World Championship, After that he really left himself in a no mans land in AEW. Cody should have been AEW World Champion and the face of the company while he was there..,

He could also have turned heel and gone back on his word and won the World Championship and I think at that stage he would have been a fantastic heel Champion giving the All American babyface promos why it was right to go back on his word and being completely oblivious to the fact that the fans hate him.

Cody should have won the WWE Championship at last years Wrestlemania and all fans of wrestling will be delighted for him when he does finish his and to an extent Dusty's story.

• Advertisement

I think Cody not turning heel in AEW could become one of the big what-ifs in wrestling.

I noticed Meltzer/Alvarez said recently it was clear that given the way the Bloodline and Cody stories have gone since Wrestlemania 39, that Roman retaining was a last minute call by someone who doesn't have to be named. Triple H just told the stories he had planned out regardless of that other guy's last minute call.

I'm surprised it took them nearly a year to say it because it was clear in the immediate aftermath. Roman will be fine as he has that Rock feud in his pocket, but they really fucked Cody's run as Champion as it's another year where they'll have to book him strong in big feuds.

It will be interesting to see if the WWE let Vega appear on screen at events.

Here is the first full episode

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't doubt that. The mess of a show that was the Raw after Mania last year clearly pointed to a certain person's influence. Let's just call him Lord VKM I erm mean Voldemort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

That would be the sex trafficking rapist Vince McMahon then who should be named over and over and over not hidden away in a meme.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement