Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭healy1835

Yeah I've read it a few times, but started an Audible trial there last week and it seemed as good a place as any to start 😁 the couple of easy runs have flown by so far 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Apologies for detailing your training log but I would highly recommend Swan Song if ya haven't read it already. Similar type story to The Stand and just as good and dare I say it possibly better!

The last few weeks have not exactly gone swimmingly...I'll steal AMK's recap style here.

December 11th - 17th: Total: 26km

The chafing that had taken place on the previous LR resulted in me not being able to run until Wednesday. I'll spare you any details, but it was pretty gnarly. This was also peak Christmas time in work and on the social front for me, which resulted in not a lot of running taking place. Banged out a random Tempo-ish 10 Miles on the Friday at around 4:11/km pace, but watch died during the run, so this possibly was slower, but was probably faster.

December 18th - 24th: Total 80km

Included a 8x350m hill session on the Friday which was a decent workout and a 28k LR on Christmas inc 4x3Miles at 4:11/km, 4:12/km, 4:09/km & 4:04/km. Felt great after this...

December 25th - 31st: Total 6km

...Alas, a 6k shuffle on Christmas morning was the last of my festive running as I picked up Covid and was pretty much bed bound until New Years Eve. Frustrating, but at least I wasn't in a race block.

Jan 1st - 7th: Total 72km

Just easing back into things. No sessions, just easy running for the most part. A planned 26km @4:30/km yesterday morning was torpedoed by the icy roads. I'd no other window to head out on a run, but I pulled the plug after 12k because I was going to injure myself if I stayed out there.

So the above few weeks has looked nothing like the plan I had laid out to get me to Raheny. At this point, I'd just be half arsing it through the plan to get me around so I'm scrapping Raheny and starting Hansons Marathon Plan for the Limerick Marathon. Ideally I would have been a bit sharper, but it is what it is. I'm looking forward to giving the plan a whirl and building on the fitness I gained for Dublin. I've read said book, gotten some great pointers from the thread on here and also, MacPhisto from this parish has been very generous with his advice.

It's not a free roll of the dice. I've set a baseline performance level with my run in DCM. I plan on building more fitness during the block and running well in May. Whatever time I run, I hope to be in good enough fettle to build on that again in the Autumn, be it with a GFA entry into Dublin, or somewhere further afield.

Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I really think the Hanson stuff will suit you, fair play J - best of luck with it

Limerick Marathon Week 1

Mon: 10k Easy: 51:26 @5:08/km

Non descript ramble across the plains. No better place to go for an easy run when the weather is cold and crisp.

Tue: Session: 12x400m @5k pace off 400m recovery: 15.3k: 1:07:17@4:24/km

First speed session of the Hansons plan. The first couple of weeks will probably see me trying to settle into suitable paces for these workouts. I'm not sharp at all, so if I can handle the 5k side of the pace range I will, but I won't flog myself unnecessarily either and might skew towards 10k pace if I'm struggling. Pace calculator, based off a 2:52 marathon, told me that 3:35/km was the target for these. I hadn't done a 400m session in a long time and it took me a couple of reps to get into a rhythm. The 400m recovery was generous but it kept the session ticking along and I enjoyed the 'flow' of the workout, for want of a better word.

Did them along the top road in the Camp. They all were in the 84-86 second range, averaged 3:32/kms, but over 400m the couple of seconds doesn't equate to a whole lot. Did it feel like 5k pace? Eh, some of them maybe. What would I run a 5k in this weekend? Who knows. I once said that I'd never run a 5k again after running 16:51 and, 3 years on, I've been true to my word! The 400 recoveries were all in and around 4:45/50/km pace. I found it hard to slow down more than that, so might need to look at that going forward. Legs were fine but definitely felt the lack of speedwork catching up to me over the last couple of reps.

Wed: 4 Miles Easy: 34:50@5:22/km

I'm going to stretch the legs each Wednesday, rather than take a rest day as per the plan. I know, I know....making changes already.

Thursday: Session: 6 Miles Marathon Tempo: 14k: 59:58@4:17/km

The importance of these runs in the plan has been drilled into me in whichever direction I look. I'm hoping to run a PB in Limerick so have chosen 2:52 as a target to base training paces off of. This first stab at the marathon tempo went okay. Was definitely still feeling Tuesday's 400's in the legs and even at this extremely early stage, I'm beginning to understand the place the MP tempo has in the plan. Averaged 4:04/km for the 6 miles and felt intermittently good at stages throughout the run. Just tried to relax into the pace and focus on effort and minimising the watch checking as much as possible. Had to shed a few layers after a couple of miles but apart from that it was straightforward enough. 26.2 miles of that pace? Well that's a question for a bit down the road...

Post edited by healy1835 on

Fair play, J - up and at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

After a few weeks you'll get used to it.

Those recoveries after the 400's - be careful on those as the plan moves on - it leads to a totally different workout if you do a 'Float' or an Easy Jog. In the middle is no mans land. I'd err on taking them much easier for now.

Friday: 7 Miles Easy: 1:01:25@5:27/km

Legs tired enough so took it very easy but had come around by the end.

Saturday: 10k Easy: 52:55@5:17/km

Non descript shuffle around the bog.

Sunday: 11 Miles: 1:18:08@4:25/km

Long Run pace in the plan is 4:25 kms. Looking to do these runs on lumpy enough routes, so the plan was just to average 4:25 for the run. The human body/brain/whatever never fails to amaze me in how it adapts to whatever run you have planned. The body wanted to go for 11 Miles and no more at that pace today, but yet if the plan had of said 15 instead of 11 I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at it. Likewise a run like Friday's 7 Miles at nearly 5:30's. I presume it's a mental thing, but I get a kick out of it.

85k for the week. It's a start.

Limerick's May date doesn't really lend itself to the race calendar here. Most races are in sync with an April marathon. Would have entered the Naas 10 Miler in March, even though I ran past said race last year and the route looked pretty hairy, but I'm not around that weekend. Looking like a choice between a local Half Marathon in Athy in early April, or that Battle of Clontarf 10 Miler in St Annes on Easter Monday. No pressure to choose just yet.

I have a Raheny race number going for a competitive price if anyone knows of anybody still thinking of entering. They are transferable as far as I am aware. I

Limerick Marathon Week 2

Monday: 10.1k Easy: 54:08 @5:22/km

Run home from work as car was in getting repaired. Shuffle

Tuesday: Session: 8x600m off 400m recovery: 14.5k: 1:08:19 @4:43/km

Main aim of session was to ensure that the recoveries remained recoveries and didn't veer into float territory like last weeks first speed session. I'll put that down to over exuberence on my part.

Again, I'm just working off the range for 5k/10k paces off the Luke Humphries calculator for a 2:52 marathon. Definitely felt the benefits of the easier recoveries this week. 600's all came in between 2:07 & 2:11 which skewed closer to the 5k pace. Had a pair of Endorphin Speeds on that are probably near retirement and had an eye on my footing for a lot of the session. I emerged unscathed and, hopefully, a little further down the road in the journey to recovering some sharpness.

Wednesday: 4 Miles Easy: 35:55 @5:34/km

Chilly shuffle.

Thursday: Session: 6 Miles Marathon Tempo (39:08): 14.5k: 1:03:09@4:21/km

There's a nice little tester of a 2k loop around the back of the Curragh plains that I use sometimes. Lots of little pulls and drags including a really short stinker of a bump. I think I'll try and use this as it's more honest than the loop in the Camp and with Limerick on the horizon, is a good fit. Legs felt a lot fresher than last week. Marathon miles were decent. Aside from shedding some layers (-4 and I was still too warm to wear a jacket) and having to make way for a learner driver in an Army tank (this is the life we lead down here folks) the session went well. I'm not getting over analytical about whether this pace could be maintained for a marathon. Trust the process. Tick off the sessions. Get fitter. And then we'll see where we stand.

• Advertisement

Friday: 10k Easy: 54:18@5:25/km

Saturday: 7 Miles Easy: 59:20@5:17/km

Nothing to report on either of these other than my watch is probably getting a bit too unreliable. I am a terrible man for forgetting to charge it, but the battery life seems to be diminishing steadily as time goes on. Will hold off until closer to the marathon though. A hefty bill from the garage for some work on my car has taken a sledgehammer to extravagant purchases like a new Garmin!

Sunday: 15 Miles Steady: 1:51:36@4:37/km

Sunday morning was my only option for this one. With the conditions the way they were, I was happy to play fast and loose with the nominal 4:25/km target for these long runs and it was just as well as the run ended up turning into a bit of a slog.

In my wisdom, I decided that the best course of action was to run straight into the teeth of the wind for the first half and then make up loads of time when the wind would just take me home all it's own. This was, in fact, not a wise move.

By the time I'd made it up through the town, through the tundra that was the road into the camp, up the hill in the camp and 7 miles in....I was pretty bruised and battered. As always, you never seem to get the same return down wind, and the expected cranking up of pace never really materialised, and I wasn't going to overdo things just to keep on pace.

No water or gels suddenly seemed a hasty choice. (I'd run out of gels and thought and thought I'd a water bottle stashed on the route from a pre DCM long run but that turned out not to be the case). Added to this was some footwear issues; the left insole on my Endorphin Speed 3's had come loose and was pretty uncomfortable. Think Kipchoge that time in London with the Nike Streaks. It wasn't so bad that I had to pull the plug, but it wasn't ideal. Added to this was the fact I wore Speed 3's in a storm! At a couple of points I was skidding badly. They really aren't built for wet roads, and these ones are probably close to retirement so the grip was pretty compromised.

I did however finish the run, and felt like I had accomplished something that morning!

91k for the Week.

Limerick Marathon Week 3

Monday: 7 Miles Easy: 1:00:04@5:20/km

Legs heavy enough from previous day's exploits, but felt better towards the end of the run.

Tuesday: Session: 6x800m off 400m recoveries: 9 Miles: 1:03:29@4:23/km

My ongoing watch issues continued during the week, the net result being that Tue & Wed runs didn't upload and were then promptly deleted when I factory reset the watch. My recall of the splits was that they were all in the 2:51-2:54 ballpark and the effort felt okay on a scaldy enough day for it. Did these on the top road of the camp.

Wednesday: 4 Miles Easy: 33:34@5:14/km

Thursday: Session: 6 Miles Marathon Tempo (38:51): 16.1k: 1:09:29@4:19/km

Wet and windy afternoon on the Curragh for this one. They felt okay. Again, fluctuated between worrying that I was working way too hard, and then feeling that this pace was manageable.

Trust the process Johnny. Trust the process.

Friday: 10k Easy: 55:58@5:36/km

Some serious shuffling going on here, but legs came around eventually.

Sat: 10k Easy: 52:34@5:15/km

Lovely run on a gorgeous morning around the Camp while one of my lads had Gaelic training on the plains.

Sun: 22.8 Easy: 2:01:08@5:19/km

Headed over to Shelbyville to join a couple of clubmates for an easy and early run. Great craic was had and will try and get some company on those easy longer runs as I find them tougher than steadier versions.

91k for the week. Starting to get used to the rhythm of this plan.

Sort of regretted not running Raheny, but I didn't feel I would have gotten a whole lot out of it. Have had some great days there in the past and will hopefully get back sooner rather than later. The Raheny/Trim double was a great one to get the year off to a flyer.

Limerick Marathon Week 4

Monday: 10.1k Easy: 52:57@5:15/km

Shuffle around the Lidl loop. Legs felt great.

Tuesday: Session - 5x1k off 400m recoveries: 12.2k: 54:12@4:27/km

Sick children in the Healy household this week so window had shortened considerably for this one. Picked up a pair of Salomon Phantasm 2's during a random browse on 365 Rider a while back. Gave them a little debut here and they felt pretty good. A little firmer than some other plated shoes, but a decent addition to the shoe rotation. Very comfortable upper. Not sure if I'd wear them on a LR but will try them out on something longer in the next while.

Session was relatively straightforward. Creaking a little during the first rep as I had to cut warm up and cool down due to time restraints, but once I got into a rhythm the session ticked by nicely.

Splits: 3:40, 3:36, 3:39, 3:38, 3:37

Wednesday: 4 Miles Easy: 34:44 @5:23/km

A truly horrendous afternoon weatherwise. Wrapped up and wandered out onto the plains.

Thursday: Session - 6 Miles Marathon Tempo (38:33): 10 Miles: 1:09:17 @4:18/km

School was closed for in-service today, so was able to get this in early and then head over to the in-service for a 9:30 start.

The pace for the tempo was probably too hot, actually, it was definitely too hot. But, this morning was one of those mornings that I was just feeling it. I just settled into 4min km pace and it felt on a par with previous weeks efforts. I didn't push the pace but I was moving nicely and never despite trying to relax and not force things, the pace never seemed to waver so I just went with it.

Best workout of the plan yet. Tipping nicely

Last July you ran a 10k in 39.18.

Moving nicely and good fitness in there!

Friday: 7 Miles Easy: 58:57 @5:14/km

Lovely run around Kilkenny. I had been down that neck of the woods to do a sweat test with George Sherwood, so took the opportunity to run around the Castle Park.

Test was interesting. Apart from one disastrous day in Rotterdam a few years back, I've never had too many problems with race day hydration or fuelling, however this will hopefully take any guesswork out of the equation and give me one less variable to worry about on raceday.

Had a couple more Hefeweizens than planned later in the evening watching the rugby, so I had an immediate opportunity to test out the 1500 electrolyte tablet 😉

Saturday: 10k Easy: 55:52 @5:35/km

That I made it out for this in the afternoon is a testament to the aforementioned product!

Sunday: 20k Steady: 1:26:38 @4:20/km

Was toing and froing about moving this to the Monday as it was gonna be tight if I could get it in, with training, swimming, parties etc. Definitely wasn't going to get up at 6am to do it as I was still catching up on some sleep from Friday.

Managed to eke out enough of a window to get a decent effort in. 20k would have been on the lower end of what I wanted to get in, but it would tick the box. Didn't realise just how windy it was out which I'm sure made racing interesting yesterday. Not that it mattered as I was cruising out there. Everything just felt easy and I had to check myself and slow down on a few occasions. 4:20/km average felt very comfortable and I could have rattled off as many more kms as you wanted at that pace.

Felt great this week. All the weeks won't be this good so it's nice to enjoy things when they seem to come a little easier. If I can maintain a bit of discipline over the next few weeks, then I think things might start to move on nicely.

88k for the week.

Limerick Marathon Week 5

Monday: 10.4k Easy: 53:09 @5:06/km

Late afternoon bank holiday trot with buddy who is heading to Seville for a sub 3 tilt next week. He's in great nick so hopefully he can keep it between the lines and get the result his training merits.

Tuesday: 10k Easy: 53:09 @5:19/km

Heating issues in the school (which continued for the week) meant I wasn't able to get out after work. This left a 60 min window later that evening over in Kilcullen while my eldest was soccer training for a run. I was cold and tired and not in the humour to shoehorn the workout into an hour so I just pushed it to the Wednesday.

Wednesday: Session: 4x1200 off 400m recovery: 7 Miles: 49:37@4:24/km

Once again my window had shortened for this due to work stuff and had to skimp on the warm up and cool down. The two workouts during the week with Hanson's are great when life is popping along straightforward. When things don't go as planned it makes it tougher. I'm not overly enamoured with the Tue/Thu workouts when I'm working...

Anyway, session was fine. I'm just not regularly getting in the total mileage for some of these sessions which is annoying me a little. Paces for 1200's were 3:41, 3:34, 3:38, 3:37. Felt decent.

Thursday: 5 Miles Easy: 42:00@5:13/km

Made this run a little longer. I know I shouldn't have.

Friday: 7 Miles Marathon Tempo (45:33 estimated): 11 Miles: 1:17:54 @4:23/km

My ongoing watch issues, adding to my own long established organisational issues are causing issues at the moment! Watch died during the 5th Mile of the MP. I was feeling amazing during these miles. I had glanced at the watch just before it died so as I was on the loop I knew almost to the meter, how many more I had to do. 6:32, 6:31, 6:30, 6:30 were the first 4....I'm also pretty certain I didn't slow down for the last 2 and a bit miles.

Things are definitely starting to get going as regards fitness here.

Sat: 14.8k Easy: 1:18:34 @5:18/km

Very enjoyable early morning trot listening to Moose and Reece on the Road to Osaka podcast. Absolute gold.

Sun: 21.1k Easy: 1:44:06 @4:56/km

Easy with a few clubmates.

94k for the week. Things building very nicely

Yeah - thanks for the shout about that episode - 1st hour is gold - loved the chat.

Training is going very well for you - no need to force anything - let it come to you.

Limerick Marathon Week 6

Week 6. Jeepers.

Monday 12th Feb: 7 Miles Easy: 59:24@5:16/km

Tuesday 13th Feb: Session: 400/800/1200/1600/1200/800/400 off 400m recovery:

8 Miles: 55:49@4:20/km

Wasn't bouncing off the walls getting out for this one. I may or may not be correct, but I was under the impression that the reps were to be all done at the same pace (I've loaned out my Hanson's book to a mate...). Anyway, after the 400 and 800 to start I was quite iffy on my ability to hold that pace for the longer reps. I managed to suck it up and finished the session but it was definitely the toughest speed session thus far.

Paces were all in the 3:36-3:38/km region.

Wednesday 14th Feb: 4 Miles Easy: 34:57@5:26/km

Moseyed over to the Curragh racecourse for this one. I used to do sessions with a buddy there a few years back, and while it was full of drags, we had some great days on it. The paths weren't in great shape however, full of potholes and a lot of mud, so won't be doing a session on it anytime soon.

Thursday 15th Feb: Session: 7 Miles Marathon Tempo: 45:38: 11 Miles: 1:16:58@4:21/km

The short mid term dovetailed nicely with my wife having a work thing for the whole weekend, so my solo parenting duties began on the Thursday. Managed to get the kids looked after for a part of the afternoon and set off to my trusted bog loop for the marathon tempo. I found this one quite tough. Whether it was the pyramid session on the Tuesday or maybe the tougher bog loop, I don't know. But anyway, averaged 4:04/km which didn't feel like MP effort or anywhere near it to be honest.

Friday 16th Feb: 7 Miles Easy: 1:04:48@5:45/km

Out before 6am for this one. My early morning running game is very rusty. Just about dipped under a 10 minute mile to start off with!

Saturday 17th Feb: 11.6k Easy: 1:05:21@5:39/km

Another early morning trot, but felt a lot more present on this one.

Sunday 18th Feb: Long Run: 15 Miles: 1:44:52@4:21/km

There's defintely an equation or theorem that could be formulated to find out how much faster you run after tracking friends running a marathon! After watching and keeping up with events in Seville, I cashed in all my child minding chips and headed out. I'd decided to just put the distance data field on the watch and run by feel for 10k and see how that matched up with the nominal 4:25/km's for these LR's.

Felt amazing during this one I have to say, probably the 'fittest' I've felt in a long while. Through 10k in 43:08, which was a bit quick, but effort felt spot on. Through 10 Miles in 69:50, so was just happy to keep things tipping along at around 7 min miles for the rest.

An up and down week, but delighted to finish it with a good run and with 95k for the 7 days.

Post edited by healy1835 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great week I would say!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd agree here - its gas how we get hyperfixated on individual days when aiming towards something big. When the reality is, its the cumulation of weeks and months of consistent work that really pays off.

Fair play, J - you're ticking them off one by one

Thanks gents. Reading back over that update, it seems a bit downhearted! I was just being matter of fact about the Tue and Thu feeling hard this week, wasn't too put out by them :) I definitely feel like the fitness is moving along nicely. I'm quite relaxed about my training right now and just happy to tick off the weeks and land down in Limerick in May ready to run whatever is in the legs on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Your outlook is very refreshing. You seem very chilled about your running and happy to be doing it rather than putting pressure on everything. I think that is a very healthy approach to take and not straightforward to get into that mindframe! A very decent week’s work. I’m keeping an eye on strava and enjoying seeing your work. Finally back doing a bit of decent running myself and this is all very motivating so thanks for sharing.

Limerick Marathon Week 7

Life is busy right now, things fraying at the edges a little but we're keeping the show on the road.

Monday 19th February: 10k Easy: 53:06@5:18/km

Tuesday 20th February: Session: 3x1600: 13k: 59:04@4:31/km

Really tight for time and headspace for this one. I think if I go again with Hansons next time out I might have to look at the SOS sessions being on Fri & Sun with the long run on a Wednesday. Might take a bit of juggling on a Wedesday, but is probably more workable. Certainly during term time anyway.

I didn't have too much opportunity to think about this session. 3 by a mile on paper doesn't look like a lot and the 600m seem generous in comparison to some sessions I've done in the past, but once again, I'm happy that they are just another part of the overall plan.

I made a hames of setting up the (fairly straightforward) interval settings on my watch so had to set up a new activity after the first rep (5:45). The second rep was where things really started to get going. I managed to get taken out by a lovely old lady's dog lead which resulted in me crashing rather ungainly to the ground. I went down shoulder first and miraculously, apart from a ripped t shirt, I escaped in realtive rude health. Dusted myself off and continued with the rep! (5:44). Started to feel the couple of bumps during the last rep (5:50), but finished out the session. Felt okay overall. Again, I'm just hitting the arbitrary paces for these ones and not really over analysing how much harder, or easier, I could be running these reps

Wednesday 21st February: 4 Miles Easy: 35:13@5:28/km

At a work thing in Portlaoise, so took in some of the towns outer ring roads and industrial estates while I was there.

Thursday 22nd February: 8.5k Easy: 41:50@4:57/km

Window for MP tempo crashed closed. Decided to get in some easy miles and then get a few more in that evening. Debuted a pair of new Vomero 17's for one of these and they felt pretty nice.

8k Easy: 42:34@5:19/km

Friday 23rd February: Now that we were off script anyway, I decided to push the MP tempo to the Saturday as part of a longer run as Friday afternoon wasn't a runner and whilst I'm getting my mojo back for early morning runs, I'm not ready to do a session at 5:45am! I got out for

12.2k Easy: 1:04:56@5:19/km

Saturday 24th February: Session: 7 Miles Marathon Tempo (45:35): 14 Miles: 1:39:16@4:24/km

Out early for this one as had a busy weekend ahead. Locked into the pace pretty well and, like a couple of these runs, felt intermittently good at stages throughout the run. What I did like was that after the Tempo was complete, the final 5 miles at around 4:40/km pace felt very very easy and the legs felt very strong.

Sunday 25th February: 7 Miles Easy: 56:56@5:03/km

Easy one with my mate who did Seville last Sunday. He was on course for sub 3 until 35km when the wheels came off, so there was a lot of soul searching going on. Between the chats on this run and then looking at the tough conditions in Osaka that the Inside Running lads had to run in, it was just another reminder that all you can do is get to the start line of a marathon as prepared as you can, and then hope the other variables fall in your favour.

92k for the week.

I'm under pressure this week a little so I'm will have to tweak things a bit. I haven't missed a SOS session yet, so I think I'm going fairly well. Anyway, I'm bumping the week's speed session, and just focusing on getting the MP Tempo and LR in. One point of note at the moment is that I'm starting to feel really good on the easy runs, which can only be a good thing.

Getting it done when life is a bit mental is a sure sign of motivation\discipline, great to see it.

I've watched\studied the Hanson stuff from afar a lot over the years and always wondered why people go messing around with the plans .....in your case, its by necessity as opposed to not trusting it

Ah yeah DD, I've tried not to change things too much. As you said it's out of necessity for this week. I've also decided not to do any warm up races which would mean sacrificing a couple of sessions and a LR. The book does allow for races and gives suggestions on how to adjust the plan, but if I'm to sit down after Limerick and judge the plan, I want to have covered as much of it as I can.

And yes, back in that place where runs are just happening automatically without any internal discourse as to whether or not I want to actually do said run :)

• Advertisement

Well. The log came to a pretty abrupt stop didn't it? A short version of events reads like this;

- Got to end of March and things were fraying at the edges in a major way in so far as keeping to the plan.

- This in turn, was affecting the enjoyment of my running, which meant that my recently discovered 'relaxed' approach was under serious threat!

- I basically didn't trust that I had enough of the plan covered and I wasn't confident that I would be read for Limerick. I didn't feel I was doing the plan justice and id also come too far down the Hanson's route to pivot to another plan.

- I was stressed out about it too. The Tue/Thu sessions were just proving too difficult to fit in. Family and work life pinched around then, and found myself tweaking sessions, doing sessions under prepared, be it hydration, sleep, fuelling etc.

- Towards the end of March, I had a breakthrough one dark Tuesday evening as I trundled out for a Strength workout. Strava tells me I was 660m into the first rep when I stopped the watch and asked myself what exactly I was doing here! I wasn't having fun and I decided there and then I was canning Limerick.

- I still wouldn't dismiss Hanson's in the future. Where I am right now though, is in a place where I need flexibility in my plan and scheduling. The prescriptive nature of Hanson's just wasn't feasible with the shape of my week. Even moving the days of the sessions and LR around still wouldn't work.

- I was getting quite fit. I'd gotten up to 9 Miles MP (58:40) and was getting into the strength phase of the SoS workouts which (I think) were really suited to me. I would have loved to get a block in and see how I felt on race day. One day maybe.

- I, eh, eased off quite a bit in the ensuing couple of months and have been chasing my tail to shed a few pounds and get back some fitness. That process is ongoing as DCM hurtles into view. I shall be toeing the line in October, in what sort of shape is anyone's guess. I shall start the log back up and detail the run in to Dublin. When I say I've no idea what shape I'm in, or will be in, I'm not exaggerating! I'll post last week's training and take off from there! 

- Am currently off Strava. It's just not the place for me when I'm out of shape. Hope all the Boardsies, or who's left of them, are in good form!

J

Dublin Marathon 24 - Week 10

For posterity's sake I'll include the LR from the end of the previous week to give a picture of the lie of the land.

Sun: LR: 17 Miles inc 7x1Mile on/off: 2:04:29 @4:33/km

Lumpy route around the Curragh on a warm and breezy morning. Longest run of the block so far and felt pretty decent. 3 mile warm up and then the 7x1 Mile on/off. Was meant to be 2 miles warm up but old habits die hard and I'd programmed in the wrong distance.

Miles on were an amalgam of uphill, downhill, with and against the breeze. Ran them all as evenly as I could.

(6:47, 6:39, 6:36, 6:45, 6:43, 6:49, 6:43. Average 6:43)

Mon: 10k Recovery: 57:09 @5:44/km

Shuffle around the bog.

Tue: 7 Miles Easy: 57:38 @5:07/km

Wed: Session: 13.1 Miles inc 6MP: 1:34:33 @4:29/km

Window closed slightly for this one so had to cut the cold down short. Was meant to be 14 Miles in total. Was running late that morning, but as I was heading out the door, the nice man from UPS delivered a pair of Metaspeed Sky Edge Paris and sure it would have been rude not to throw them on.

5 Easy Miles to start with averaged 4:39/km and I was feeling great. That 'new shoe' energy transferred into the MP section, which was meant to begin at 7:00 Miles and work down to 6:45 by the end. I've been trying to judge paces off effort recently and not rely on the watch as much. Of course the first mile clocks in at 6:38 and I try and focus on relaxing the effort and settling in to the session. 6:39 second mile and I just sort of decide to keep effort levels as they were and see how I'm feeling as the session progresses. 6:33, 6:31, 6:39 & 6:34 finish it out. The shoes undoubtedly helped, but I was a little undisciplined. 

Thu: 7 Miles Recovery: 1:04:48 @5:45/km

Fri: 10k Easy: 51:26 @5:09/km

Sat: LR: 15 Miles inc 4x2MP off 1Mile float: 1:48:20 @4:29/km

Watched the Men's marathon in Paris beforehand so was suitably enthused heading off on another warm and windy morning. As it was Saturday I headed to the loop on the Camp and brought plenty of water and gels. Plan was to keep the floats steady 7:30/45 ish and show a lot more discipline in the MP sections.

For the 2 mile efforts I averaged, 4:12, 4:13, 4:12 & 4:11 with the floats averaging 7:28 Miles

Sun: 5 Miles Recovery: 44:20 @5:30/km

60 Miles for the Week

A few more weeks of similar quality will do nicely.

DCM '24 - Week 11

Monday: 7 Miles Easy: 58:31 @5:12/km

Tuesday: 10k Easy inc 6x20sec strides: 51:25 @5:08/km

Wednesday: 7 Miles Easy: 56:25 @5:00/km

Had to move planned session to Thursday as a few things popped up, but still managed to get out for a run.

Thursday: Session: 22k inc 20minMP/5x3mins @10k/20minMP: 1:34:43 @4:18/km

Meaty enough session on the cards, instructions for the first 20min MP were to be 'conservative' and then for the second 20mins to be quicker. So, naturally, tip off for the first mile, tunes banging, a few different paces fresh in my head, Mile 1 beeps, 6:16! Castigate myself a little and then try and scale things back, switch data screen to current mile pace rather than step pace for the rest of the 20mins. 6:32, 6:38 follow for an average of 4:02/km. 

I realise I need to back off unless I want to implode during the final 20 mins. 3 min reps come in at 3:43, 3:47, 3:48, 3:45, 3:48/km. 

The plan for the second 20 mins to be faster is now out the window, so I just try and keep the effort as relaxed as possible, which apart from the last 5 mins was more or less achieved. 6:35, 6:38, 6:42 for the 3 miles, and a 20 min average of 4:08/km

This is the work.

Friday: 10.1k Recovery: 54:08 @5:22/km

Saturday: 10k Easy: 52:58 @5:18/km

Sunday: LR: 18 Miles: 3E/6St/1E/6MP/2E: 2:08:49 @4:27/km

Plotted out another bumpy route around the Curragh and back home through Kildare Town. 

This is how I described the run when reporting back...

Warm up - real sh1t

First mile of steady - sh1t

Next 2 miles of steady - less sh1t

Final 3 steady Miles - amazing

Easy mile - horrendous

First 4 Miles of MP - cruisey

Final 2 Miles of MP - clinging on

Warm Down - satisfied 

So that pretty much sums it up! Paces were as follows;

6St - Ave 7:01 (6:59, 7:01, 7:02, 7:00, 6:58, 7:02)

6MP - Ave 6:45 (6:38, 7:01, 6:36, 6:41, 6:49, 6:39)

104k for the week. Managing to gain a bit momentum here hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What time are you targeting for Dublin? 6:40 pace sub 2:55?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Great stuff J. Delighted you are back at it.

• Advertisement

DCM 24 - Week 12

Monday: 10k Recovery: 56:31 @5:39/km

Tuesday: 10k Easy w/5x20sec strides: 53:44 @5:19/km

Wednesday: 8 Miles Easy: 1:05:31 @5:04/km

Session bumped to the Thursday for operational reasons!

Thursday: Session: 15 Miles: 5E/8MP/2CD: 1:45:55 @4:23/km

The previous days childminding materialised on the Thursday, so off I trotted into the midday breezy sunshine for this one. On the warm up I knew the legs were feeling good, averaged 4:39/km for the 5 Miles. Into the MP stretch and I let the handbreak go slightly on this one. Nothing wild, just a few seconds a k faster than planned. 8 miles averaged 4:06/km, and felt pretty good. Tired by the cool down, but left the session with that unmistakable feeling of progress!

You can probably sense where this is going…

Felt the early stages of a bad dose that evening. Said i'd take Friday off, first rest day in a few weeks, and see how I was Saturday. Saturday and Sunday spent in bed just hoping to ride out my cold. By Monday it was clear something more substantial was at play, went to Doctor and came home with antibiotics and confirmation of a Chest Infection. Had cert for the week but school was starting back so I went back to work on Thursday. Anti biotics seem to have done the trick in the main. So after 8 days of no running I got out for…

Saturday: 5k: 26:29 @5:18/km

Sunday: 10k: 52:09 @5:13/km

Felt okay on these. Will try a normal week this week and see where I am. It's sh1t or get off the pot time, so if I'm not able to keep the plan on the road then so be it, but I have to try. Not sure what the damage will ultimately turn out to be. Hopefully things havent been completely derailed, but I'll find out soon enough.

DCM T-7 Weeks

Monday: 10k Easy: 52:33 @5:14/km

Easy run around the town while eldest was at Sarsfields training. Ran with an old friend, breathing was pretty wheezy and heart rate was high enough....hmmm.

Tuesday: 7 Miles Easy: 57:32 @5:06/km

More easy running in Naas before a u13 soccer match. Feeling better than previous day.

Wednesday: Session: 24/16/12/6/3 mins MP off shortening recoveries

This workout was on the previous weeks plan which had been written off, albeit in a more progressive form which started the first 24 mins at MP and gradually progressing the pace each rep with 3 mins recovery. I decided to stick to MP effort for each rep and shorten recoveries instead. This was really a case of kicking the tyres and seeing if I was able to handle a session. Time isn't really on my side, and whilst I don't feel I'm being reckless, I did have to see if sessions were possible this week. And, to all intents and purposes, they were.

The average paces for the reps were; 4:10, 4:12, 4:14, 4:09 & 4:03 which gave me over 15km of MP for an average of 4:11/km. Apart from the substantial amounts of ectoplasm coming out of me, it felt okay.

20k: 1:27:45 @4:23/km

Thursday: 5 Miles Easy: 44:41 @5:33/km

Shuffle

Friday: 10k Easy: 52:09 @5:13/km

The good weather completely took my by surprise. Was melting by the end of this one on the plains, and sort of regretting going out at all, as I had a LR early on the Saturday and I felt a little tired after this.

Saturday: LR: 30k inc 20k Steady: 2:18:18 @4:37/km

Plan was to keep the steady to 7:15 miles and under no circumstances was I to dip below 7min miles. Got out early with a buddy and enjoyed the run as the misty began to burn off. Felt super slow on the first 5 Miles easy, but once the steady kms kicked in, I felt progressively better. Averaged 7:11/mile for the 20k and was delighted to see 30k pop up on the watch.

Not a big session, but I was delighted to be able to get it in the legs and hopefully will be the first a few well executed 30+km LRs in the next 5/6 weeks.

Sunday: 10.7k Recovery: 58:01 @5:26/km

Managed to fit in a spectacular spill on this shuffle around some bohereens in the bog. Nasty gash on my hand and knee aside, I did no damage. The grass in the middle of road saved me from any real damage I think. Jogged back into Sarsfields with arm and leg caked in blood much to the bemusement/puzzlement/horror of some of other parents. Onwards!

100k for the week

DCM T-6 Weeks

Monday: 10k Easy: 52:04 @5:11/km

Tuesday: 10k Easy: 49:59 @5:00/km

Wednesday: Session: 15'E/45'MP/15'E: 17.1K @4:24/km

Had a wedding on Friday which neccesitated the introduction of the lesser seen Friday morning LR. With this in mind, I had planned to get a session in on the Tuesday. That of course, in keeping with the rest of this block, didn't go to plan. So the session got pushed to Wednesday and got tweaked a little from 30'Steady + 30'MP to 45'MP.

Headed down to the canal towpath from Monasterevin to Vicarstown for this one. It did not go well. Out for the warm up and the heavens open. Not a big deal one would think. However, once the rain stopped and the sun came out, I was faced with what could only be described as Midgetageddon. I'm still feeling the after affects of the chest infection and breathing through my mouth a lot. This, of course, meant that keeping my mouth closed as I swashbuckled my way through my new friends at MP caused complications. HR went up and I really never got the session back on track. Averaged 4:11/km for the 45mins, but the effort levels were ridiculously high.

Wasn't feeling great about my running after this one, but with it being running and all, there is always the next session...

Thursday: 10k Easy: 55:04 @5:30/km

Friday: LR: 7k/6k/5k MP off 1km: 30k: 2:13:36 @4:27/km

Was off down to Dunmore East for a wedding, so due to the fact it was a Friday morning, all my usual LR routes were far too dangerous so I took myself off to the Lidl Loop. I do sessions here sparingly these days, compared to the heady days of Covid and 2:56 marathons on a couple of weeks notice etc. Thankfully this run was a big improvement on Wednesday.

The 5 Miles easy to start were nice and progressive, coming down from 8:03 to 7:32. The MP efforts felt like MP for the most part. I didn't push the pace at any stage and just tried to keep efforts nice and calm. Things pinched a little in the last mile of the 5k, but the session was in the bag by that stage. Splits were;

7k@4:14/km

6k@4:11/km

5k@4:12km

Which gave me 18k of MP which was a decent effort.

Sat: 'Rest'

Sun: 7 Miles Easy: 59:24 @5:16/km

89k for the week with a rest day.

Big 4 weeks coming up. I'd be lying if I said I was confident about where my fitness is in relation to DCM, but all I can do is tick off the sessions and get to the start line in one piece.

DCM T-5 Weeks

Monday:

AM: 4 Miles Easy: 34:58 @5:26/km

Early morning jog around the foggy plains.

PM: 10.5K Easy: 55:08 @5:15/km

Early afternoon jog around the sunny plains

Tuesday: 8.7k Easy: 44:10 @5:05/km

More easy stuff on the plains

Wednesday: Session: 15E/15St/45MP/15E: 20.46km: 1:30:00 @4:24/km

After the previous weeks poor session, I was hopeful that this would go a little better. Did it in the Camp on a very warm afternoon, but apart from the last 5mins of the MP, it all felt pretty manageable. Averaged 4:12/km for the MP which is what I was aiming for. Decent afternoon.

Thursday: Rest

Friday:

AM: 6.5k Easy: 35:22 @5:26/km

PM: 10k Easy: 54:38 @5:28/km

Two easy doubles in one week. Not proper doubles...but still.

Saturday: 5 Miles Easy: 45:26 @5:38/km

Didn't realise this was as slow until now. Body preparing for the next day's LR I think.

Sunday:

LR: 3x(3k/3k/4k) @4:45/4:27/4:12 + 2k WU&CD

34km: 2:30:29 @4:25/km

Another lonely LR on the cards here. The make up of the session meant I was happy to do loops as I wanted the paces and efforts to be as even as possible. I'd enough of the Lidl loop so I drove into the Camp and parked the car on the loop. I basically came off the loop to to the easy and some of the steady so as to keep boredom levels low. And basically the run went really well.

I've run some decent workouts this block, but this was the first one where I was feeling anyway confident about DCM after it. Felt really good, so will hopefully put together a good couple of weeks now and head into October feeling half decent.

Paces for the 3 sets of 3k/3k/4k were;

#1: 4:39/4:24/4:12

#2: 4:36/4:23/4:10

#3: 4:34/4:21/4:09

Wore the Metaspeed Edge Paris for this one. Will decide between those and my lightly dusted Next% 1's for Dublin.

104k for the week.

DCM T-4 Weeks

Monday: 7 Miles Easy: 59:59@5:23/km

Tuesday: 13.6k Easy: 1:10:57@5:13/km

Wednesday: 25.3k inc 9MilesMP: 1:55:19@4:34/km

Had to brainwave to head off around the back roads of the Curragh for this one, rather than stay on the loop. Of course I chose an afternoon that included at least two torrential downpours which meant a couple of sections of the route were flooded. Aside from that, felt pretty decent. 9 Miles MP in 61:11 @4:13/km. Felt pretty controlled.

Squeezed for time, so jumped into car after MP section, went home, quick change and down to Monasterevin for a GAA match, where I shuffled 6k in more heavy rain.

Thursday: 5 Miles Easy: 44:11@5:29/km

Another soaking.

Friday: 10.4k Easy: 55:55@5:23/km

Saturday: 10k Easy: 54:31@5:27/km

Sunday: LR: 34.2k inc 4x5kMP off 2k: 2:30:44@4:25/km

As the forecast for Sunday became closer, I realised I had missed a trick by not getting it out of the way on the perfect day for running that was Saturday. I had however, pencilled this is in with a mate for a while now.

Up early, drove up to Dublin and dropped water in Terenure, Crumlin & Chapelizod. Picked up my running buddy at his office on Merrion Square and drove to the PP where we parked at the Papal Cross.

US Ambassador's residence is around the 5 Mile mark in the marathon, so we managed to fit in the other 21 and change. Run went great. Partner is hoping to break 3 hours in DCM but his biggest obstacle is his own head. He thankfully found things a lot easier with myself on the pacing duties. I get a great buzz out if it as well if I'm being honest. Not the easiest wind to be sheltering someone from but it just added to the quality of the run I suppose. First MP section was very favourable, basically from Myo's to Chapelizod bridge, encorporating Tower Road and the Upper Glen (20:54)

2nd 5k from Kilmainham to Walkinstown roundabout was tricky enough. Long drag up the Crumlin Road was right into the breeze, so it was just a case of settling into a nice effort and not pushing too hard if the average pace started to creep up. (21:12)

3rd 5k was nice road. Down the Kimmage Rd, through Terenure into Milltown. Met some Rathfarnham 5k traffic including MacPhisto and his brother. Was cruising here which hopefully will be the case in a few weeks time. It's one of my favourite parts of the course and a good chance to knock out a few consistent kms. (21:00)

The final 5k, by design, took us through Clonskeagh and up Roebuck and out on to the dual carriageway. Running the route is a great way to stay focused, and I was really locked in for the last 5k. (21:01)

Jogged the rest of the route, taking in the new finishing straight. The pepper cannister church will add nicely to the finish I reckon.

Great morning. Nice to get out on the route again. 20k of work at an ave pace of 4:12/km

111k for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Great weeks work. Well done

DCM T-3 Weeks

Monday: 10k Recovery: 56:16 @5:37/km

Tuesday: 10.2k Easy: 55:32 @5:27/km

Wednesday: 8 Miles Easy: 1:04:55 @5:03/km

Window for session closed after a hectic day at work saw me staying later than planned. Got an easy run in and canned session.

Thursday: Easy 60mins @5:29/km

Deliberated doing the session early before work as I was off with the family to see Hamilton later that afternoon, but just wasn't in the headspace to it.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 11k Easy w/6x20 sec strides: 55:50 @5:05/km

Sunday: LR 35k: 10E/15Steady/5MP/5E: 2:38:11 @4:31/km

Perfect morning for a run. Bumpy route but felt really strong on this one. Averaged:

Easy: 4:42/km

Steady: 4:25/km

MP: 4:07/km

Just felt like pushing the MP stuff at the end of the run. Legs felt fresh so let them loose a little.

Fitness building nicely.

92k for the week

DCM T-2 Weeks

Monday: 11k Recovery: 1:00:00@5:27/km

Tuesday: 10k Easy: 54:33@5:27/km

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Session: 15x1km @HMP off 90secs float: 23.7k: 1:40:41@4:14/km

I requested a non MP session for this week, just to test the fitness and see where I was. Hadn't done a whole pile of HM pace stuff so it was a nice change. Do I have any idea of what HM shape I'm in? Not really, but the session went well. Averaged 3:57/km for the km reps with the floats averaging around 4:45/km. Legs relatively fresh afterwards.

Advertisement