Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think it will be 20million, but glorified scout is just wrong. He would be getting employed to basically run and oversee the entire football operation at United; yes including scouting and recruitment but also including absolutely everything else. Basically the CEO for Football. But that also points to UNited not wanting to say a fee to City to end the gardening leave for the guy they appointed as actual CEO.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this though. United won't want to pay 20m, but also won't want to wait nearly 2 years for him. If they can't agree a deal and just walk away it will be damaging to all involved. and it all has to be pretty well forseen tbh - Ashworth (and thus Ineos) will know exactly how long the gardening leave would be but would only have had their own ideas on how much it would cost to get that reduced (significantly).

United won't want the gardening leave to be more than 3 months, imo. They'll want him in place for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

What’s stopping him working off the books for united while on “gardening leave”? Isn’t something similar happening with that Italian fella at spurs, banned from football to some degree but knocking about the place at the same time?

You’d imagine a compromise will come up, Newcastle still have to pay him on gardening leave, and he’s probably going to work for united to some degree in that time. Though united are a threat to Newcastles champions leagues hopes, so maybe they see him not going there for two years to be worth paying him on gardening leave m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Could be bias from my point of view being an Arsenal fan but there is no way I would swap the Arsenal squad for the Liverpool squad as a whole

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's the whole point of gardening leave, to prevent someone working for someone else, on the books or not. He is still contracted to, and being paid by, Newcastle, he can't work for someone else or it would be a breach of his employment contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Presumably its written into his contract that Newcastle can sue the daylights out of him if he carries out any work for anyone during the duration of his gardening leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Not been a fan of either, I'd have to disagree...In another life and if I was the next chosen one in the management world, and I was offered the current Arsenal or Liverpool posts. I'd take the Liverpool job.

Call me crazy, but I actually think that Liverpool will win the league this season, ahead of City with Arsenal back in 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

But if you joined Liverpool with those expectations and they didn't do it should you be sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If they didn't have as many injuries as they currently do, then yeah.

It's an uphill battle from here now with such a small squad availability and the cup competitions & European games returning. Very little opportunity for rotation between games, let alone competitions. Against Burnley last weekend there were 11 players missing from the squad of 26. Trent went off injured in that game. Against Brentford this weekend, the number (before KO) had reduced to 6 but by final whistle this number had increased to 9, possibly 10 if Salah is injured again. We'll see Wednesday night if this number is 8,9 or 10 for the midweek game and again for the cup final.

It's not sustainable to be in a title race when a team is regularly missing 10 players at various points in the season like Liverpool have had at different stages in January & February this year. And with such large numbers of injuries, this then breeds further injuries as players are being forced into the red-zone with a lack of rotation opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It would cause problems where a fan base would claim a foul that one of their players got an extended ban for was no worst then another foul by another team that didn’t get an extended ban.

que the accusations of corruption that is a major blight on the PL right now.

safer to leave it alone as expecting fans to act as adults and not children will not work out.

• Advertisement

They have certainly had a lot of injurie. Arsenal have had too but seem to be starting to come back at the right time.

Definitely if either team wants to seriously challenge City they need close to full strength squads in the run in.

It's about player safety and making an effort to eliminate it from the game.

Nobody should care what the fans think initially. After a while they'll get with it when one of their own gets tackled like that and the player gets a long ban.

tackles like that are extremely rare and leg breakers are also very rarely seen these days.

I don’t know if you’re on X but there is a constant dialogue of PL corruption and “our club is the victim of bias” every day now.

since tackles like this are rare, I don’t think it’s the most important issue facing PGMOL.

Its my hypothetical world. I can never be sacked! 😁

Well this is the reason I picked the current Liverpool squad over Arsenals. Despite their big injury list, they're still getting the job done and I think they will continue on this trend. Whereas I don't think this Arsenal squad could have coped through January and Feb with so many key players missing. I think they need to spend this summer, adding good quality depth to their squad.

Again probably bias here but there was a stat that based on transfermkt or whatever the website is called the market value of players missing when Arsenal beat Pool was 189m for Arsenal and 190m for Pool

Arsenal have had nowhere near the same number of injuries.

Liverpool kicked off the 2nd half with Alisson, Trent, Bradley, Gomez, Matip, Bajectic, Szobozlai, Thiago, Gravenberch, Salah & Doak all missing. Konate was suspended fair enough but it adds up. It was the same game that Andy Robertson made his first start in 4 months. It was Endo's first game in 6 weeks as he was away at the Asian Cup. The next game Bradley returned, but Trent is out for longer now. Gomez & Konate retuned. Gravenberch returned but Jones is now out injured. Salah returned but Jota is out long term. There are question marks around Nunez & Salah's fitness now still.

The constant revolving door around availability is not a good thing at all for Liverpool. Numbers are there, at times, but the consistency, stability and familiarity are not. And that's even before you talk about tweaking tactics etc.. Arsenal having each of Raya, White, Gabriel, Saliba, Zinchenko, Rice, Odegaard, Havertz, Martinelli, Saka + others available ~85% of all PL games, together as one unit is a massive benefit. The rhythm and consistency is there.

my point that Arsenal have had a lot of injuries but seem to be starting to come back stands.

I was saying that either Arsenal or Liverpool will need a pretty fully squad to deal with City in run in.

As long as its one of them that win it and not City I don't mind....

• Advertisement

I'm not on x or twitter or any of those type of places.

It doesn't have to be top of the agenda. It just needs to be done.

Would you have the same opinion today if that tackle had ended Mitoma's career? I have the same thoughts even though, thankfully, Mitoma is okay.

Players have to be protected. It doesn't matter how frequent or infrequent these tackle are, if they happen twice per year then you could have two players with their careers done. You could get be lucky like yesterday and not even have an injury but that doesn't take away the high risk of serious damage.

In my opinion the minimum ban for something like that tackle yesterday is 3 calendar months on top of the initial three game ban.

I don't understand how you look at this as something to brush unde the carpet. What if this tackle happened to you or somebody you care about? Would it upset you then? Or would it take a life altering injury from one of those reckless tackles to make you care?

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Arsenal injuries point as I don't think that Arsenal have had a sustained period of time without a number of key players at one time. Unless you can show me a run of games?

But yes, I agree on your point, both teams would need to have close to a fully functioning squad in order to compete with City for the remaining few months in the run in and having multiple competitions to contend with.

it will cause problems because clubs’ fans and pundits will point to tackle x was as bad as tackle y but treated differently and PGMOL don’t want that shitshow.

its not an regularly seen thing at all for these tackles so I wouldn’t be bugging out about it.

Not to the point that a one off tackle that never really occurs otherwise needs to be specifically legislated for.

and as I say I think PGMOL don’t want another excuse to give the head the balls a reason to cry corruption or bias.

A tackle that never happens? It happened yesterday and it's happened plenty of times.

The fact that you admit you are not concerned about player safety is awful.

PGMOL didn't care about VAR and everybody knew that would cause huge controversy.

Protecting players wouldn't cause that much of an issue.

It doesn’t happen plenty of times. It barely happens at all anymore. Football has cleaned up its act and credit to the authorities for legislating necessarily to cause this culture change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sure isn't there already precedent? Ben thatcher with an 8 game ban for his assault on Mendes iirc.

Keane ended up with 8 game ban in total but that was a bit different cause he got 5 of those games much later after admitting in his book he went in to do him. should have been a lot, lot more.

So seeing as you seem to know how often it happens. Tell me how many times it's happened this season and last?

• Advertisement

I just said it barely happens anymore so what’s the point bugging out. Not sure why the onus is on me to provide evidence of something that I’m saying rarely happens.

“It” being a deliberately malicious and dangerous challenge with intent to injure an opponent for the absence of doubt.

Well I'll start then.

Ones that I remember Holgate obviously, Curtis Jones, Alexis McAllister, Christian Romero, Yves Bissouma, Rhian Brewster.

So without even putting much thought into it that's six. I'm sure there's at least another six if not a lot more.

And a reckless tackle is a red card and could injure an opponent. When you slide in with your feet up it's extremely dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

Hodgson steps down as Palace manager. Hopefully his health scare isn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think a few of them are very debatable as to being tackles with the intent to injure, or in being deserving of more than a 3 match ban.

I think a tackle that is both malicious and dangerous is what is needed for an extended ban. Otherwise it’s way too much of a grey area and you will sucking in too much and it will become a nightmare for the PGMOL and will open it up to corruption and bias accusations from the aforementioned head the balls.

i think the Curtis jones one vs spurs was a red card but i don’t think it was malicious at all. I can’t picture many of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Advertisement

Is there a reason why the Arsenal Newcastle game is on at Saturday 20:00 instead of the usual 12:30 KO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

ah! of course.

forgot there was CL this week again with it being so dragged out, and PL games midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Liverpool need to beat Southampton in the FA Cup as I think that would mean that the Everton game on March 17th is rescheduled. This should result in only having 3 more league games before March 31st at which point hopefully Alisson, TAA, Szobo, Jones should be available - Luton at home and Forest away are games that can be won with a depleted squad though timing for the City match is not good especially if Alisson is out. Klopp's presser tomorrow should provide more positive details than the rumours that are out there.

By my count there is 13 fit senior players at Liverpool currently (over the age of 21). A few of those are not fully fit and/or are reserves stepping up.

Liverpool will play 6 games in the next 18 days. They lack of rotation options is going to hurt the league campaign before that Man City game on March 10th. It's an international break after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I hope we go strong v Luton, if we are good enough to be 3up after an hour then make changes. If not then the final is a sacrifice where we play younger players with a stronger bench from those who played a full match v Brentford & Luton.

In the City era, good chances to win the league will be few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It has barely raised a comment in the United thread, you have to suspect that fans are just desensitised towards Rashford now. His attitude has been so horrendous for so long that its not even a surprise to see him do that shite.

There is one or two that still trot the "not his fault" bullcrud, but that clip is of a player in his prime who we get told is world class. Its pathetic, and its normal.

Depending on the fitness on Salah & Nunez, who are part of the 13, maybe yeah.

But then it could end up being a case of sacrificing a trophy just to beat Luton at home with your squad falling apart as players get injured in the same game though. Which then causes you to drop points in 1 singular game due to the vastly depleted squad and hands the initiative back to Man City to win the title. The players returning to play in April is a little too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Well, that game happened, now let us never speak of it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 25 table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

City are turgid to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Brentford doing well against City. Think they may hold on for at least a point..maybe even more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They're backs to the wall though, and already starting to look very tired. Very hard to see them keeping City out for another 45. They're really struggling to get out, which will only get harder as it goes on. City meanwhile rarely going above a jog, really biding their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭McBain11

Been a dreadful team to watch for the past 4 seasons now. Ever since Guardiola started packing his team with giant 6 foot plus lads at full back.

They are not a patch on Guardiola's first title winning teams in 17/18 and 18/19. People used to complain back then about the amount of possession they had and it being boring, but it was very different - it was always with the intent of an individual player at the end of it working a bit of magic in 1 vs 1 and either scoring or assisting. Think of Sterling and Sane back then being unreal to watch.

Nowadays they clip the ball into the box half the time when attacking and just circle the ball around for possession sake beforehand. Take De Bruyne out of the starting 11 like tonight, and they are a grim watch. In their best 11 nowadays, you have Walker, Dias, Stones, Akanji, Ake, Rodri, Haaland (if Stones in CM which I think will happen again soon in CL games). Big Sam Allerdici would be proud of the size of that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Haaland absolutely bustin' his boll0ck$ to get back and defend that Brentford break from the City corner.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement