Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

you

Agreed its a piece of paper you need to have to sell your home, but many people are extremely sceptical about the reliability of these ratings.

BER ratings are based on how a house was supposed to have been built, not on how it actually was built. I know some semi-d houses built 40 years ago and there was supposed to be insulation in the wall and there was not. Nobody was looking, nobody checked when it was being built. The builders sometimes take / took whatever shortcuts they could. Hell, empty cement bags were sometimes thrown in to concrete mixers, instead of insulation put in walls. How can a BER assessor know without damaging a building. And how does he / she measure for draughts / airtightness?

Quote "Jeff Colley, editor of 'Passive House Plus' magazine, cited the example of Ireland's first certified passive house, which was built in 2004 and yet only received a fairly average BER rating of C1. However, in practice a certified passive house consumes energy at a rate of about 15 kilowatts per square metre per year – well within A1 range. A 'passive house' is a home which has had its air leakages cut and its insulation levels cranked up to super strict standards as laid down by a German-based organisation. The passive house institute will not allow you to use the term unless your home not only complies with its uber tight regime, but also unless you have had its notoriously rigorous inspectors around to insure that it does what it says on the tin."

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/the-ber-faced-lies-our-inaccurate-energy-ratings/30257397.html

As another poster above said, it can’t be great when Dermot rocks up in his coat and talks about how freezing a particular house in an estate is, when the other houses nearby were built to the same standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

o agree that BER is a totally pointless thing in a practical sense. what happens on site is often not what was on the plans for better and worse.

but why would anyone put a cement bag into a cement mixer. that wouldnt happen . it would make it way harder to use the cement and the block layer would go mad for stupidity and for slowing him down. you often see cement bags stuffed into gaps to stop the cement falling out while it set

You can be very sure what happens on site is often not what was on the plans. There is basically only self regulation here : it is not like the UK where there is building control / regular inspections by "the authorities" / council during build.

Yes it is not unknown for a cement bag to go in to a cement mixer and to end below floor level / foundation. in some houses I know built some decades ago there was **** all concrete in the floor, never mind insulation where it could not be seen in the house. It is what people do not know that keeps them happy. I am not saying all builders were cowboys....but some took the easy way out and saved thousands on materials, sure why would'nt they when they could get away with it? Why employ an expensive skilled person the whole time when a glorified labourer could sometimes do something with less materials and cover it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In a United Ireland, which is not far away, there will be a Building Inspectorate based in Belfast.

In the UK at the moment Authorised officers of each local Building Control Authority inspect on a regular basis, and have delegated powers to:

• scrutinise proposals and inspect works in progress.
    • serve enforcement notices on owners and builders for non-compliance.
    • institute proceedings for breaches of any requirements outlined in the Acts, or any regulations made thereunder.

You say a UI is not far away, I remember Gerry Adams saying that at the time of the GFA in the 1990s and he said there would be a UI in time for the 2016 commemorations. Maybe in another 100 years we will get Building Control back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She's off again, The one woman UK PR machine.😁😁

FrancieBrady, will you stop trying to divert the thread. I was replying to a post from Charles Babbage.

Anyway, back to Room to Improve. You would miss it on a Sunday night, it was good TV, but I was reminded about it by a piece in the paper this weekend (Saturday 17th Feb).

Please can keep this thread for Room to Improve or at least house construction related matters. I posted about the article in the paper at the weekend about Room to Improve, to try to stop posters like you constantly attempting to de-rail the thread.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/revealed-the-room-to-improve-projects-that-were-built-without-planning-permission-z000367433/a1479491268.html

You were talking about a UI.

Re: the article.

What is the point of it? Some people use retention to get planning. Retention is, as a professional pointed out here, a legal vehicle in planning.

If the building is found to be not in compliance then it has to be fixed or taken down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

I read this at the weekend. It is written by someone who has absolutely no clue of how the planning process works in Ireland or they are being very disingenuous. Looking up the writer, the journo seems to be one who doesnt actually give an opinion but instead looks up numbers from council websites to spark a bit of outrage. Nothing wrong with that of course,

The piece also seems to be trying to indicate that its just RTI that does this. What would be interesting for comparison sake is how many extensions/houses/changes in Ireland are built without similar permission which is later granted. Without that we have no way of knowing if RTI is in fact ahead of or behind the overall in Ireland

The piece did its job though, Ill give it that

If you google it, it says "It is an offence to do work that requires planning permission, without having planning permission. This offence can carry very large fines and possible imprisonment. However, if a genuine mistake has been made, it is possible to apply for planning permission to retain an unauthorised development."

Moses houses / residential developments are built with full planning permission.

Would'nt say so, read the article in the paper yourself.

So we can assume he hasn't committed a crime.

If you think he has and is roaming free then your problem isn't going to be solved on a TV forum tbh.

I did not say I thought he had. It was you that asked the question. You should ask the journalist who wrote the piece or do further research yourself if you are concerned if he has or not. I could not be bothered.

Well you have spent the better part of a couple of months trying to pin something on him. From conspiring to trip granny to breaking the law.

Im well aware of the penalties involved. What is your point? That doesnt negate anything I said in my own post.

Get out to rural Ireland and you'll see absolutely loads of houses that dont have the proper planning permission or required retention. It happens in the majority of houses tbh.

Rubbish. It is not true the "majority of houses" "dont have the proper planning permission or required retention."

If what you said was true, how do these same houses get sold / get new buyers / mortgages? One of the things solicitors look for is compliance with planning permission.

11,000 people have carried out building works via the 'retention' process since 2019 according to the same source as your link above, the Irish Indo.

• Advertisement

Is that all? Only 11,000 in 5 years? I suppose most people try to have full planning permission before undertaking building work, especially if they read "It is an offence to do work that requires planning permission, without having planning permission. This offence can carry very large fines and possible imprisonment. However, if a genuine mistake has been made, it is possible to apply for planning permission to retain an unauthorised development."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Room to Improve has been on air for 15 years, so somewhere in the region of 70-80 projects?

If a handful need retention permission for mid-build changes, this is hardly surprising.

There are load of houses that the front door was moved a few feet, there is a garage in the wrong place, the walls and pillars at the front of the garden are too high etc etc. Majority of houses in the countryside dont get sold on, they are peoples forever homes. But if they do, what do you think they do? They get retention. Its simple

In a time where we are experiencing a housing shortage crisis like never been seen before, this piece is advocating to slow the process down so every single change, no matter how small, has to be changed and PP applied for. Absolute codswallop.

Im not saying people can build an entire house without PP, that would be silly. But making out like this is a key issue in the country, when in reality its very very small, is madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When solicitors engage someone to carry out a planning search on a property it is almost always just a register search.

The person doing the search will just note the planning permissions on the folio of the property.

This type of search will not reveal minor variations from permissions granted.

This is very true based on the 11,000 who did it from just 2019.

RTI reflects reality it would seem

And remember, there are thousands more who would need retention but havent applied as they are not selling their house. So the number is even higher. I reckon RTI is below the average

Not the point. Another poster wrote / claimed that the  "majority of houses" "dont have the proper planning permission or required retention."

Of course most houses have planning permission, because of one the things a solicitor will check / have to check when it changes hands / someone gets a mortgage and buys it is if it has proper planning permission. And if not, has retention been successfully obtained.

No bank or building society would accept the security of a building which is not planning compliant.

Incorrect

My house is not planning compliant. I got a mortgage on it last January. The bank is well aware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's actually a very pertinent point but if you don't care to take it on board I won't detain you further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭lmk123

Somebody must have bought phone credit for Francie 1 and 2 again

Advertisement