Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters of the Air [Apple]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not the best but not the worst either. It's epic and looks expensive, some characters are better than others and if you enjoy ww2 stories will fulfill that itch. It's no Band of Brothers but what is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

For me it's good enough to continue with it because I have Apple anyway.

I wouldn't buy apple or go through the hassle of nefarious means for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you're a flying buff you'll want to watch it regardless.

If you're hoping for the next breaking bad, maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Thought the last episode was incredibly dull. Kept waiting for something to happen, then the credits were rolling.

I think they've missed a beat by not showing more of the impact caused by the bombing. The destruction wrought by the allied bombing woukd be a war crime nowadays. It's all too sterile in the show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

First episode thoughts. A few niggles and strengths. Visually, I can hardly differentiate one character from another, and not because of their gear. The sodding way in which modern shows are lit. It does capture the speed and horror of conflict. It's made me curious about aerial combat, from the training, planning to execution.

Bit of a love letter to the those mighty flying machines.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

More so the RAF who were mad into the indiscriminate carpet bombing. The USAAF at least tried to be more targeted in their approach. They refused to bomb Auschwitz in 1944 in case they killed civilians. Had they done so they may have saved countless lives. It was also feared if they bombed the site of Auschwitz the Nazis could have hidden what they had done there. It's an interesting morality question.

In fairness to the RAF though they had spent 4 years watching cities get leveled and had the Germans on the channel by the time the show is set. They also had 4 years of resource and manpower drain so had to do the safer less accurate night flights

The USAF had the luxury of knowing the family were back home and safe.

If I was the Brits I probably would have wanted Germany flattened too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And as has been alluded to in the episodes, the US strategy in its current form is not sustainable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Bit misleading...

The RAF had tried "accurate" bombing and got massacred at the start of the war. Took the US years to learn the same lessons, by having heavy loss rates. The norden bomb sight wasn't any where near as accurate as they thought. They missed a lot even bombing Switzerland quite a few times. That was just the heavy bombers. They tried with medium bombers in Europe and also had heavy losses.

The RAF had raids like Dambusters and Tripiz and obviously pathfinder units and mosquito missions. So the RAF obviously knew what it took, and the cost. Obviously lived through the blitz and V1 and V2.

MotA is following a specific unit . It's not meant to be critique of the strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/masters-of-the-air/id1457552694?i=1000642849103

Recommend this episode of Al Murray and James Holland's (excellent) second world war podcast, speaking to John Orloff - who wrote Masters of the Air, and 2 of the big episodes of Band of Brothers (the D-Day and Concentration camp liberation episodes). Very insightful. They've spoken to him a few other times on this podcast over the years too. Excellent podcast in general if youre interested in the second world war.

Post edited by setanta1984 on

Well the fact that the specific unit is getting ripped to shreds every episode is a pretty strong critique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Latest episode (5) was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Nope. It’s nonsensical gibberish. Completely unrealistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Though episode 5 was decent myself.

Still think some of the CGI for planes taking off and landing is very off, looks like good CGI from 15 years ago. Actual aerial scenes are very good though.

Also seems they've taken quite a lot of license with how many planes it shows gunners shooting down, though maybe can be interpreted as a play on the crazy number of planes gunners claimed to have shot down versus how many were actually shot down.

Episode 5 was very good. First time in the show that the ground stuff felt some way real and its very hard to pull off a show that is emotional while everyone is wearing a mask (just look at the Halo and The Last of Us productions). Agree with the above that the CGI looks cheap and ropey. It's almost like a computer game cut scene and sadly that seems common in most shows now.

Also don't want to belittle a true story by comparing it to sci-fi but the episode reminds me an awful lot of the Battlestar Galactica episode "33"

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rossie4ever

Have only watched the first three episodes and it's good enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't know why you're even watching it as you seem to hate it with a vengeance. What would you expect to see that would make it more realistic for you?

Really hope

Austin Butlers character is actually dead and we never find out what happened. Would be a very interesting way to tell the story in a truthful way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/premium/article/masters-of-the-air-wwii-historical-details

Good article about how much work went into getting the details right.

"Tasked with developing a historically accurate script, Orloff spent a year compiling a show bible—a process that included reading 30-plus books, magazines, and diaries; perusing archives and oral histories; and visiting bases, airfields, and museums on both sides of the ocean. The results, Orloff says, are “a much more ambitious show on every level” that rarely deviates from the record."

Some lad on boards think it's unrealistic though!

I'd be really interested in knowing what version of reality the poster would like to see, and why he thinks MOTA is gibberish and unreal.

I think it's obvious to anyone with any knowledge of that era that it's neither gibberish nor unreal.

Anyone read the book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Greengrass53

No comparison between the London bombing and the carpet bombing of hamburg, dresden etc. Harris was a butcher as bad as any nazi.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its a very good show, I like that that there is an airmen on the run element to it and scenes like the the gunner stuck in his turret brings out the horror of it all. I dont know if they went over the top with the planes breaking up in the air, looked more like a space battle but could have been realistic.

The characters are so so, its not Band of Brothers level of character writing so they are kind of disposable but if you are looking forward to the next episode they are doing something right

Ive rewatched shows like Secret Army, BoB and movies like Memphis Belle. I wouldnt say I would rewatch this show. So not epic but competent

Post edited by silverharp on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yes, it has a much bigger scope than the show. It encompasses the personal stories of many people from the air force generals right down to the mechanics who worked on the planes. It goes in depth into the strategies employed too. So it's a mixture of the strategy, politics, history and personal stories of the US Air Force in the European theatre. I'd recommend it for sure if you have any interest in those things. Just don't go in expecting a Stephen Ambrose type book which are usually mainly character driven

Seems like they could have done a companion documentary piece if they had the rights to the book with that content.

• Advertisement

It's a great read but it doesn't go too in depth on the personal stories of individuals. There were just too many people involved.

I've read Ambrose's Band of Brothers and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie from the Pacific but Masters of the Air reads more like a textbook in comparison to them. It's still a good read though. The navigator in the show, Harry Crosbie, wrote his own memoir of his time with the 100th called A Wing and a Prayer. I haven't read it myself yet but I imagine it's a much more personal read than Masters of the Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the nazi's were carrying a controlled bombing of London, like the isrealis are of Gaza ? they are both the good guys ?

I've not read too much of the heavy bombers. Some books are too dry and I do like an autobiography.

One I do have and is a little different follows a single B17 aircraft not the crew. Lightning Strikes: The Story of a B-17 Bomber (Fortunes of war) . Short book but oddly interesting. If you like the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I loved Band of Brothers and think MOTA is a good watch. I never seen the Pacific. Is it any good? Obviously it won't be as good as BOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

The Pacific is also excellent. An incredible spectacle and really conveys the brutality of the war against the japanese. There’s a bit too much focus away from the battlefield which hinders it relative to BoB. BoB is superior, with better actors and characters, but as I said before it’s unfair to compare anything to BoB as you’re never likely again to get such an incredible cast of Hollywood A listers in small roles before they’ve made names for themselves, aside from everything else. But The Pacific is an incredible technical achievement in bringing that theatre of war to screen.

These series benefit hugely from multiple watches imo, there’s just so much going on. I think Masters of the Air will be the same.

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

Really loving this.

They've struck the right tone between air battle scenes, and non. Difficult to develop characters when the attrition rate was so high.

The greatest generation indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Compared to flight safety nowadays it was mad the way an engine or propeller would malfunction and the pilots were cool as a breeze.

• Advertisement

It's why there were a lot of commercial aircraft with 4 engines for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It's jarring that the last bomber related media I saw before this was the catch 22 tv series. In this show all the bombing crew seem ultra patriotic given how low their chances of survival seems to be. Hard to judge it against band of brothers or the Pacific until the series ends

There's a good movie on Netflix, about a British air raid on Copenhagen. About a tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

It couldn't warm to the characters and I didn't like James Badge Dale in the lead. But I totally agree on how it conveyed the brutality of the war against the Japanese. I haven't seen anything else that did it that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Greengrass53

500, 000 v 50,000 dead, yeah sure!

The Axis started a global war that killed 70-80 million. How are they victims in your head. If you think it could have been resolved a better way, perhaps you should go back to 1937 and tell them how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

This has been very disappointing so far. Latest episode with yer man wandering around a swamp in Germany chased by the natives. It’s WW2 not Vietnam

Did they not invent swamps and marshes until the 1960s?

It's strange how some people don't seem to know that there are marshes in Germany, especially in Northern Germany where "yer man" was trying to evade capture, even the English word "marsh" comes from the German word "marsch".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

If you’re not enjoying it why stick with it for 6 episodes ??? You should’ve given up by 3rd episode but then I guess if you did you’d have nothing to give out about on the internet.

Advertisement