Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

no i'm not trolling/fabricating/talking shite. let me explain. here's an example of €4.50+ 50cent in deposits rounding club orange to €5 https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/315734827 and here is the thing i'm talking about regarding round prices

https://www.strategy-business.com/blog/The-Psychology-of-Pricing-Customers-Prefer-Round-Numbers "study shows most consumers would rather pay $5.00"

Also regarding what you wrote, would it be fair for me to assume that those people you are mentioning have low-income jobs? You are right about most people using cards for small transactions, but if they forget their card they're gonna have to use cash. And i know a couple of people who hate using money, or who atleast hate getting change and having to bring around small change they get from buying something. They would rather spend the change so they don't have to carry it around and preffer a clean crisp number where they can give the exact amount, or get back a solid number like a euro after handing in a fiver, rather than getting back 1.15 or 1.05. High income people with good high paying jobs often don't care about the little tiny bits of change as it inconveniences them, and quite often give change as a tip to round a whole number, or make use of those donation boxes which are placed conveniently near tills.

People with low incomes however, and penny pinchers would rather save those couple of cents and look for bargains and saving wherever they can. This obviously does'nt apply to them, as they'll instead buy something else or buy the same item elsewhere for cheaper. A Person with higher income does'nt mind paying a few extra cents for a cleaner and easier to handle price/change given (to them cents is nothing).

i know people from both of those catagories, so please don't accuse me of trolling or talking shite. i have more links but i don't wanna spam the boards or derail this any further than its already becoming, so feel free to message me for those.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i mean i work retail and have been had being trying to tell people which cans/bottles had the re-turn deposit & i'm very much getting an i dont care either way response cos they won't be collecting or bring them back. i think a lot of posters here are only having n their mind a family out doing a big shop with a shopping trolley who'll collect & bring back the next week or whatever. but significant amount of single can/bottle buyers are just people out & about, and a big percentage of that is kids. who aren't really gonna be bothered

• not disputing there’s plenty who couldn’t be bothered to make a trip back with empties but it’s pretty ridiculous to claim shoppers are by and large happier to pay €5 even just to not have change handed back.

if that’s the case supermarket price wars are backwards! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd have little doubt but that price rises have happened as you describe. Nothing like a bit of confusion in the public mind over increases in VAT, deposits or whatever - to disguise a bit of extra profit taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭forrestgeorge

If everyone stopped buying fizzy drinks, zero purchases of them for a month, it would have the manufactures up in arms, jobs about to be lost and the tax take would be down, not to mention it would be healthier for you, this deposit return scheme would be scrapped, simple solution to this idiotic policy.

• Advertisement

you're adding words at this point, i never claimed shoppers or consumers "largely are happier to pay more so they don't have to break a fiver" in the initial post or in the reply. My main point i was trying to make are the shops taking advantage of the deposit confusion and upping their own prices alongside adding the deposit, instead of just adding a deposit.

But yes i did also say some people hate getting change, and some places are using the deposit scheme to take advantage of that. Furthermore adding to this, i also mentioned stores are attempting to use the deposit scheme to their advantage in such a way "to make people psychologically more influenced to pay extra". This is from the post you called fabricated shite.

it's a psychological sales thing to take advantage of a certain demograph of people, or anyone who falls for it really. its obviously not gonna work on people who watch their spending. But those who don't care about getting change or saving a couple of cents here and there, do you honestly imagine them going around collecting pennys? they don't hold onto pennys, they'll make sure to spend it or else donate it away or anything really to get rid of it. Some people hate coins, and those copper coins like 5cent and 2 cent they look like dirt to those people.

It's more visually satisfying to see €4.50+0.50 = €5.00. or €1.85+0.15 = €2. it fills the gap! its like tetris but with numbers. i'm not trolling. Some people are so inconvenienced with getting change back, that they don't even bother with a receipt either. Imagine if you're the type to have a bunch of credit cards and one of those physical wallets where you can put cards into and paper money, but no coin pouch for change, or a small one at that. you're gonna be stuck carrying that little bit of meaningless change in your pocket. It's dirty to some and unhygienic and just overall annoying. And they cannot even buy anything with that little low amount of change either so they don't even bother.

This is why mc donalds have a charity thing near the counter, aswell as other places that have tip jars near the counter. Even where i believe "keep the change" to have spawned out of. i sometimes talk to delivery drivers and they tell me that certain people just want the food and couldnt be bothered with getting the change. When delivering to certain addresses they know they're gonna get a tip from the change.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

interesting, not sure if that would work though as i imagine it would require alot of co-operation from many many people to do. i like the idea of it but there are ways around that instead of just having to give up on fizzy drinks completely. People could stick to buying out-of-scope (non return) bottles, or sizes that exceed what the machines can accept (also non return). or glass bottled versions, or any imported versions which are not part of the scheme. Theres still alot of non-return stock floating around.

tesco have alot of their own branded things now labeled with the return logo, but i have yet to see lidl or aldi do the same with their own inhouse branded items.

Manufactures were already annoyed over this scheme in 2021-2023 where they basically gave return the middle finger, but now because of law backing re-turn up, re-turn got away with it.

if this boycott idea you're proposing happened, i believe its the stores that would be up in arms not the manufactures (as they've made their money by selling the stock to the store already). it would take much more than a month, but eventually stores will be desperate to sell their stock the closer it becomes to it's sell by date. Which at that point rather than removing the deposits, they'll reduce their own prices so that they've lost the amount of the deposit, in profit. i order to sell the product. example: pretend i am a shop that bought a can of drink for 20 cent and go on to sell it for €2.15 (including deposit) people boycott, so to suck up the cost of the deposit, i reduce my item down by 15 cent, now selling it for €2 (including deposit). Deposit still exists on it, but my profit on the item is 15 cent less than it would have been.

also the closer to the sell by date = the more desperate the scramble is to sell off the items cheaper. Deposit is mandated by law now, shops will be taking the hits if there was a boycott. its the law that needs to change for this deposit lark to get scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Seems like a small enough amount. What's that as a % and how does it compare to inflation?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is multiples of the rate of inflation.

Family members went up by 3e per month on what was 18e per month.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'd imagine in this scenario that glass bottles or tetra-pack will be used. Mind you you're unlikely to get buy in from the public over 15/25c

• Advertisement

16% yeah, but then that was cheap to begin with, the going rate where I am is about €25 and that hasn't changed in about 3 years

I dont know where you are but thats for a Dublin city suburb, a 3e per month increase on the lowest weight allowance package where Greyhound are collecting a lot of bins so there should be cost efficiencies.

It is far in excess of inflation at a time when fuel and energy prices have stabilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

I'd imagine the efficiencies you mention are why prices are generally lower. To be fair I'm not complaining about it, your rent/LPT/mortgage will be higher so it works on balance

Is this the first increase this year? Were there any increases last year? All in relativity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

But, but, but.

There have been increases... when landfill rates were increased that was noted in the media and then presumably with increase energy and fuel inflation. Im not aware of any such increases to account for this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,602 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was also talk of the re-turn scheme in august 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I will meet and defeat this so called champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

First time using machine today, mix of labelled and no labelled can, no complaints, very quick. Still, putting them into the recycling bin at the side of my house was working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

My bins:

2022-140 for 6 months

2023-160 for 6 months

2024-current rate 185 for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Dunnes stores charging for non Return stamped items seen 500ml water and 4 pack of monster energy cans in 3 Dublin stores yesterday

Still, putting them into the recycling bin at the side of my house was working fine.

The old system was working fine for you and for me but it wasn't working overall, a significant amount of people were continuing to put them in general waste or throw them into the ditch

And has the bin company specifically said it was down to the DRS that is currently being phased in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya I got a few packs of Sierra Nevada pale ale in there and another off licence that I was charged deposit on, with no label, but went through the machine fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

If I asked, would I get an honest answer. However logic dictates, that if the amount of aluminum they collect and then resell on is drastically reduced, that income shortfall has to be made up somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Alu is worth about 1 euro a kg as a recycled material

25 euro uptick in the rates over 6 months is say 1 euro a month

two collection a month so 500 grams of alu recovered per collection per household

Standard weight of can is 15 grams so 30 cans every two weeks.

Makes sense when you include the pubs/ restaurant

So yes there is a cost transfer: keep the gel handy

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Used one of the machines at the weekend. Out of the three there, one was out of order.

Worked reasonable well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think pricing transparency is important on this.

The bin companies should show upfront the amount of their increases that is due to DRS.

• Advertisement

You should get an honest answer if you asked for it, yes. The last time bin charges were increased for me it was in line with fuel price inflation. The bin companies had no hesitation in telling me this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement