Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Unfortunately the people who are racist and far right leaning are giving anybody expressing dissatisfaction with the system a bad name.

If people are truly only concerned for the dysfunctional issues and not just crying " out, out, out" and " Ireland is full", they need to publicly disassociate themselves from that rhetoric.

Otherwise you can't really blame people for lumping everyone in together.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Well yes, but even with birth control the average norm for a family was IMO around the 4 mark.

80% plus of people my age that I know would be from a family of four, whereas my parents generation 6- 9 was probably your average.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"Unfortunately the people who are racist and far right leaning are giving anybody expressing dissatisfaction with the system a bad name."

Expressing dissatisfaction towards a fairly dysfunctional system shouldn't give people the label of racist, letting the government off the hook. Just like the handling of the children's hospital, it has to be called out! People will get even more upset when you've politicians talking to the public in a condescending, patronising way like "been ill-informed".

People have every right to complaint about immigration issues once they are not violent, racist or intimidating. It's costing us billions on facilitating people arriving here many as 60% failing the asylum criteria, L.V was called out that "If they do not leave voluntarily, this is done forcibly" when only 8% of people requested to deport forcibly were done while people in the IP system are telling us nobody is self deporting when asked to.

"Otherwise you can't really blame people for lumping everyone in together."

You'll drive people to harden more towards the right if there's no discussion on immigration in the fear of "ah your racist" labeling....

""Otherwise you can't really blame people for lumping everyone in together." That's very similar to how racists view migrates imo.

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

In my own area of Galway East up until now it would be FF/FG and Independents.

Lab and GP get nowhere here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Less than 17000, I didn't realise it was so low.

I remember well the media and public attention around IPAs in the mid 2000s. Lots of talk then about being 'inundated' and migrant crime rates too.

Perhaps we really should have been paying more attention to reports around government overspending and failings in property?

Ah well, at least we won't make those mistakes again.

<checks newspapers>

Oh f**k

• Advertisement

Of course foolish of me to think you might get what I was saying without SPELLING it out....

Not that people should not express their dissatisfaction.. On the contrary I am for expressing it frequently and loudly and making sure it gets heard.

But my point is people are being sidelined by their association by accident or otherwise with those on the farright.

I don't say don't stand up, but do while taking care who you stand up with.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The jackasses who have tried to misrepresent people who want limited immigration as unmitigated racists have a lot to answer for. Their juvenile hysteria has caused a huge amount of division over the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Have you reported them to AGS for the wolf whistling or the car?

There was talk of bringing wolf-whistling into the criminal code a few years back but I think it was considered too 'woke'.

If it's persistent it might still qualify as harassment, especially if directed at teenagers.

I'm not often the target of wolf-whistling(maybe it's the beard?) but twenty or so years back when I worked in construction it was very much the expected behaviour, and they were all Irish lads at it. Didn't matter then if the girl was a teenager either.

Always considered it quite disgusting and didn't partake myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

it is disgusting, fecking Neanderthals that do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A problem with this though is that all unmitigated racists want limits on immigration. Look at that Gript outfit for example : they are trying to portray themselves as sensible and moderate and the 'acceptable' face of the anti-immigration lobby (maybe they are), but look under their tweets and you will see numerous comments from full blown racists and bigots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What are you trying to say exactly.

That people can't express that they want limits on immigration because racists don't want immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I just find the idea of those racist commenters subscription money going into the bank account of an Algerian migrant to be hilarious 😀😀

What's wrong with having limits on immigration? How is that racist? Should it not be whats manageable and sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's perfectly okay to say you want less immigration and want limits on it - the only issue with it of course is that it will (inevitably) put you into the same camp as the actual racists and bigots (they just don't like foreigners plain and simple and think 'Ireland should be for the Irish').

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Is that a fact? "They don't like foreigners plain and simple"

Who exactly says that stuff?

You're just creating a strawman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You don't think that's true?

That racists and bigots don't like foreigners? Seems like the very definition

We share our island with a British people, so no, I don't think that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And what difference does that make?

Sorry, you're completely correct, Racist people and bigoted people love foreigners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

A person who has no problem with immigrants but wants a limit because we are full.

A person who wants no immigrants because they are racist.

The only people who put both into the same camp are people with an agenda and who want to shut people up, while they know damn well they are not the same.

But it's a way to try to get people to stop talking about the issue.

It is blatant lies and deliberate misinformation.

The same people who also for some reason can't see the difference between a doctor and someone turning up without a passport.

"But my point is people are being sidelined by their association by accident or otherwise with those on the farright."

This is my point, middle left folk (like myself) who had voted for many progressive polices over the last few years on civil marriage, repeal the 8th etc voted many left leaning parties like SF/ SD are just asking for a debate and better handle on immigration. I don't lump myself into any left or right groups it's completely counter productive and a BS americanised politically mindset imo.

Read any of my posts, I've never posted anything anti-migrate or AP/IP comments. I've always accepted there needs to be controlled migration while we're clearly struggling to facilitate more people arriving here.

If am labeled as "association" and or "lumped" to far-right or even more crazy racist for mentioning a better asylum system and checks on the border, it's a lazy generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

And you're quite happy to slur those people who want less immigration with the label of the other camp of actual racists. As a deliberate strategy. And you're completely unaware that this strategy is obvious to everyone.

You're losing this argument. The country is taking a decidedly rightward turn, you'll see at the next election. SF, SocDems and Labour are going to get crushed. Even FG are going to lose a huge cohort of votes to right wing parties.

inevitably by who? the folk that want unlimited immigration, the handwringers? the left? The folk on here who answer a question with a question? The cabal? who? Most people like me, the centre moderate in our beliefs system, middle income get nothing for nothing taxpayers are questioning this lunacy. Anyone i know in my circle of friends, colleagues, neighbours etc are all questioning this, the spend, the absolute mercenary behaviour of the government and hoteliers, the economic refugees who are draining a system of resources that should be going towards genuine refugees. We can’t get a lot basics rights for citizens of this state but can spend this money like it’s a money tree. Country is in the ****. I haven’t seen this crankiness since the water charges. And it won’t end well.

Agree with mostly everything you've said there.The center & center left parties are completely shutting down any sort of debate or constructive steps to help on immigration.

Balanced approach/concerns towards immigration is automatically = Far right , racists and scaremongering.

Or even more I've seen lately, any actual counter polices like adding more countries on the safe list for AS/IPs on the huge influx arriving here is pondering to the far-right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's even more concerning for me is the fact we already have a state with a broken police force and judicial system which doesn't punish criminals.

Does anyone really believe that either the Gardai or judicial system could handle a tiny fraction of the trouble Sweden does every single week? They don't even have control of a large chuck of Dublin City Center and most of that trouble is from native scrotes ffs.

The answer to whether we could cope with the enriched social issues coming is obviously no.

We have a political class across the board so out of touch with reality it's scary.

In relation to immigration specifically I don't believe for one second you would see half the concern brewing if people didn't think our whole system was in chaos. And it is in chaos.

We are literally snapping up hotels and nursing homes as they arrive at the airport.

It will never end as things are.

Where's the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It's a tactic that has been used over and over again, as someone above said it was used during the Water Protests and used again during covid. I bet a lot of the people doing this were also the same ones that wanted unvaccinated people to be isolated and not allowed in shops, cinemas, etc and labelled water charge protesters are anarchists or something similar.

All it does it make people harden their position as we see in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Mamadou Alpha Bah , my head is melted reading up on his crimes.

Sexually assaulted a woman in a hotel in 2020 & then in 2021 he sexually assaulted a girl he was sharing a house with.

How was he even out on bail and allowed destroy 2 women's lives.

Came here under family reunification program. Has a deportation order in place once released. I wonder will it be voluntary?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement