Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

You really have to laugh when you go back to the start of this thread and where we are now. laugh is probably the wrong word.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭backwards_man

I have worked in many US multinationals (and still do) and they are not written into the contract. They might be practice, but they are not legal obligations. Anyway why would a partially publicly-funded body like RTE be legally or contractually obligated to pay such large exit packages? It makes no sense. Coveny's exit, if it was under Redundancy should have been statutory 2 weeks, given what has been exposed in the past 8 months. If KB allowed him to be made redundant on 6+ weeks per year of service using public funds, he is continuing the cycle of extravagance that has landed RTE in massive overspending in the first place. I do not believe any of them have a guaranteed exit package written in to their contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

They are redundancy payments though - there's specific laws around them and I've not seen them included within the contracts of employments of staff mainly because of the "default" redundancy payment laws in force and the fact that companies don't know down the line if they will ever need to have their own redundancy schemes (and as such not know what the specifics of these schemes will be until if and when they need them).

Not all of these people left on "redundancy" and while it may have been refered to as redundancy there's serious questions to ask around whether they were redundancies or "golden handshakes" or just more taking the pi$$ outta Joe Public.

It would be great to know that if I felt like leaving my job I'd get a lump sum payment of my actual salary or multiples of my salary as appears to have been the case here - with little or no cost savings for the organisation as a result (i'd be replaced) and sure look, if I was crap at my job, felt a bit of heat coming on (as is the case in a few individual cases here) and decided to leave - getting a massive payout would entice me to leave rather than deal with the issue.

Indeed - we don't do these types of things well as a country or we wouldn't be having these problems in the first instance I would have thought. It might be worth a representation to a local TD especially when we are near a GE as well as mass non-payment of license fees.

A publicly funded institution trying to behave like a private one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't agree with what Coveney and Collins got are redundancy payments, what they are pay offs simple as that or contractual buyouts. But as we see a lot in this country when it comes to dealing with these type of people they are never sacked, no one is ever sacked because these things can become costly and more drawn out so I am assuming RTE Legal representatives and Backhurst discussed what is the best way to handle this and they came up with offers for both of them if they left and agreed that to say that both parties agreed to it. Kinda of a win win, both Coveney and Collins get to leave and as we see don't have to face more questions about their behaviour in the roles and Backhurst gets to get rid of two more of the Forbes senior management team.

I would love to see just once in this country people like Coveney, Forbes, Collins and others get sacked on the spot and then go the legal route and everything is exposed in court but both RTE and those involved including TD's would dread to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kb: "the problem here lads is your salary/exit payments are publicly available, you need to include bullet proof nda's in your package "

Kevin's first major impact on rte

I'm sure both Coveney and Collins had their own legal team involved in this. You can bet the first thing they did when they got caught up all this crap is get a solicitor. Just look at O'Keefe, hiding behind her solicitors, having them send the note to the committee that she wouldn't be attending and then she is text Backhurst with a load of crap that she wants him to say on her behalf.

Coveney's role was not being replaced, it is/was rolled into someone else's role. So if they were looking to get him out and he was not agreeing to leave voluntarily, a simple redundancy at statutory pay would have done the job. There was no need to buy him out of a contract. Anyway, the official reporting in the independent was that Coveney resigned. And if he did, then why was any payment needed whether redundancy or otherwise. The whole thing stinks and I am really surprised that KB has put himself in this position.

Do you think Coveney resigned willingly or was after his solicitors negotiated the terms of his leaving? Also was his role being made redundant while he was in or was it after he "resigned" that Backhurst said there was no need for his role anymore, there is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

Maybe this whole sorry episode will put paid to the whole "things would be so much better if they were run by women" thing. Seems to me Forbes, Doherty and O'Keefe and themselves a little girl's club going.

Upshot: Women are just as **** as Men.

• Advertisement

When there is no one watching the hen house the fox is going to take what it can get away with before its noticed, doesn't matter whether its male or female.

Lets logicilly step this out.

We are told that the NDA's stop RTE from reporting the exit packages etc.

So you have KB using it as a smokescreen.

If RTE really wanted the sums published they wouldn't have agreed to the NDA's in the first instance. Now theres no one here stating that the reason for getting rid of those senior staff was in order to save money for the public purse (lol) so why were these folks removed? If it were their resignation I do not see how you can pay them off. If they were asked to leave, I also do not see how you can sign NDAs with them.

What is the impact of breaking an NDA - does anyone know?

Is it a fine/jail time/should anyone really care at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Near 90,000,000 spent by RTE on voluntery redundancy from 2011to 2019 according to the Daily Mirror 18/04/2017

But that is my point. If he wouldn't resign himself, KB had a mechanism to get him out with far less payment than 200K. Solicitor or no solicitor, RTE had no obligation other than statutory redundancy, legally and morally. 17 yrs x 2 weeks pay plus 1 month's notice payment is around 146K. Why didn't KB go this route? Why the need for 200K payment when he was covered by law in paying 146k? And why was it reported as Coveney "resigned"? They legitimately could say the role was made redundant. KB didnt say that at the PAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

As far as I know statutory redundancy is capped at €600 per week. So that would be 17 x 2 x €600 = €20,400 !!

Even better! Which makes the 200K look absolutely outrageous. Why would KB risk his own reputation on this?

Last few posts on this are key. Trying to save the state money in redundancies but not taking the cheapest redundancy option, if that is what they were of course.

• Advertisement

To me Coveney and Collins were not made redundant, they were sacked in all but name and given a payoff which they gladly accepted and then sailed off into the sunset like some others. All it shows is that Backhurst and RTE haven't learned any lessons and are still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

I have worked in US multinationals also and have seen some of the contracts which outline the six weeks and the two year cap. Even saw a very old contract which had no cap.

Why would anyone take up voluntary redundancy if all that was offered was the statutory amount ? Let’s be real, you would only accept that if the business was going to the wall anyway.

Re RTE and Coveney’s package, maybe there is a precedent, maybe it’s in the employment contract.

You are approaching this in a rational and logical manner………but these two Dail committees are showing that not much common sense or smart business practice was applied in RTE. The barter account and how it was operated was a good indication that it was a free for all in Montrose.

Credit Notes to offset a payment to a presenter from the sponsor. Paying the presenter’s agent the money instead into a secondary bank account. None of this looks good.

Having worked in different organisations, both large and small, never cease to be surprised by some of the dumb stuff put in employment contracts… so if there was a termination clause in Coveney’s contract with a set amount, is it all that surprising as Dee Forbes and Coveney seemed to be good buddies

Kevin Bakhurst doesn’t strike me as someone daft enough to go out a limb over Coveney and Collins. If you bring them through the HR disciplinary route, they stand a chance of remaining as many more people involved and others who should have known. Entire finance dept could be gone. Need to put a few heads on sticks and given the mess, that was never going to be cheap if KB wanted it done quickly.

I suspect he regrets returning to RTE every single day because this is a mess that’s only getting bigger.

Why would it be voluntary redundancy? It should have been forced redundancy at statutory. The role has gone away. Its perfectly legit. Companies force redundancy on staff who want to stay, all the time.

Not sure about making representations to a TD about termination payments. They have their own sweet heart deal even if they decide not to stand for re election and it applies to their staff as well.

Re your comment about getting a lump sum payment yourself……never be irreplaceable, I have seen employees do very good jobs and were kept, while inept colleagues got the “package”. That is seriously annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Comes back to politics. I believe RTE were told last year by Govt. that there had to be redundancies but none compulsory. So the only way then to get rid of staff is to make it attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭seanin4711

got renewal reminder as up since 31/01/24.

how long can i string them along??

While the Head of Strategy may be a redundancy position……The Financial Controller is never a redundant position whether voluntary or forced.

The bigger issue is the lack of control or awareness in finance.

Employers prefer paying a bit more than statutory if they can, as it also reduces a possible future Unfair Dismissal Hearing.

Forcing redundancy on staff can also lead to higher staff turnover from remaining employees.

Coveney left in July. That announcement of voluntary redundancies was KB's plan to cut 400 jobs announced in November to happen 2024 - 2028. There was no voluntary redundancy scheme in place at RTE in July 2023 AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boardsuser1000

I have a friend that has been stringing them along since March 2019. Needless to say he isn't in a hurry to pay the license.

• Advertisement

I am only talking about Coveney's exit.

The CFO's exit is a different matter. I do believe he needed to be "paid off" to leave, if KB wanted rid of him and he wouldn't resign.

As for the impact on other staff, RTE plans to remove 400 staff in the coming years under voluntary redundancy or natural attrition according to KB's grand plan unveiled in Nov 2023. Retaining staff is not his priority.

Advertisement