Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wild how face Cody was despised by AEW fans yet he is adored in WWE, getting cheered over The Rock, helping them do their best business in yonks and will, in all likelihood, win the main event at Mania.

Betting on himself worked out big time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ultimately, I think "despise" is too strong.

It was pretty obvious the character he was trying to play, and the stories he was trying to tell, weren't connecting with the audience at all. Part of that is Tony, part of that is Cody, part of that is accepting there's different audiences in play. The crowd were vocal about not enjoying the stories Cody was telling, as wrestling crowds are entitled to do.

My memory is thinking Cody was a WWE wrestler in the AEW environment, and the crowd were into AEW specifically because they didn't want WWE styles of characters and storytelling. So it shouldn't be a shock he's turned out to be a stronger fit for WWE when he's returned. Some characters will just suit different shows in different ways.

Personally, I find it wild how some people feel determined to pick one side and slate another, when the reality is it's never been a better time to be a wrestling fan, and you have loads of great options right now. I don't get why people hyper focus on the stuff they don't like. WWE is great right now. AEW has a lot of great things happening too.

Isn't it great the industry we love is thriving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, exactly. A problem for Cody in his last while in AEW was he didn't have an adversary too. It's hard to be that ultra-sincere face without a proper heel to contrast it with. His run against Black was decent enough, but once that ended it just became Cody Vs the audience, with him doing everything he could to appeal and pander to them directly (flaming table spot), rather than as a byproduct of whatever story he was in.

Context is important for character to work, and the WWE context with Roman as the big bad is perfect for Cody's white knight, especially when you add in the legacy and 'finishing the story' etc - it's borderline fairytale stuff (in a good way).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Sure some people are so obsessive they really need to get a life as it isn't healthy.

It's obvious that I much prefer AEW but I am delighted for Cody and will watch Wrestlemania to see him finish the story just like I did last year hoping he would win last year.

Even though I stopped watching RAW and Smackdown along time ago I always keep an eye on Dirty Dom,R-Truth and Rhea every week on whatever segments they are in online as I really enjoy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cody also backed himself into a corner in AEW when he said he would never challenge again for the AEW World Championship, After that he really left himself in a no mans land in AEW. Cody should have been AEW World Champion and the face of the company while he was there..,

He could also have turned heel and gone back on his word and won the World Championship and I think at that stage he would have been a fantastic heel Champion giving the All American babyface promos why it was right to go back on his word and being completely oblivious to the fact that the fans hate him.

Cody should have won the WWE Championship at last years Wrestlemania and all fans of wrestling will be delighted for him when he does finish his and to an extent Dusty's story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think Cody not turning heel in AEW could become one of the big what-ifs in wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I noticed Meltzer/Alvarez said recently it was clear that given the way the Bloodline and Cody stories have gone since Wrestlemania 39, that Roman retaining was a last minute call by someone who doesn't have to be named. Triple H just told the stories he had planned out regardless of that other guy's last minute call.

I'm surprised it took them nearly a year to say it because it was clear in the immediate aftermath. Roman will be fine as he has that Rock feud in his pocket, but they really fucked Cody's run as Champion as it's another year where they'll have to book him strong in big feuds.

It will be interesting to see if the WWE let Vega appear on screen at events.

Here is the first full episode

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't doubt that. The mess of a show that was the Raw after Mania last year clearly pointed to a certain person's influence. Let's just call him Lord VKM I erm mean Voldemort

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

That would be the sex trafficking rapist Vince McMahon then who should be named over and over and over not hidden away in a meme.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement

JR not doing well a broken hip now after having cancer treatment on his hip.

Good on Francine she had the WWE Stans attack her online today when she told WWE games to stop using Queen of Extreme for Liv and threatened legal action

That is her trademark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Shelton Benjamin on Bayley:

“This is to all social media. You need to be talking about Bayley a whole lot more. Don’t get me wrong, everyone’s hot on The Rock and Cody and ‘finish the story.’ But at the same time, I say, like CM Punk said, Bayley won the Royal Rumble, and all anyone is talking about is Cody’s story. Give Bayley her flowers. I think she’s one of the most underrated girls on the roster. I feel like she’s underrated and underappreciated by the company, but not by the talent. We recognize what she is. Bayley should be world champion come April. That’s my personal opinion.”

(Black Rasslin’ Podcast)

Former WWE head writer Jen Pepperman who resigned her position last week has joined AEW.

She was the main women’s writer on Smackdown and is very close to Mercedes.

Is Liv suppose to be "extreme" if anyone to use it, should be Lita or is Team Extreme not referenced by WWE

Randy Orton on Cody Rhodes:

"I love that he’s come back home. I love that he’s a part of the locker room. I love when I see him talking to other young talent and the role that he’s in now as, like, a top guy. And if not just a top guy, possibly in a short amount of time, THE top guy."

I’d say that’s pretty good summation of the year alright

Wrestling Observer Newsletter 2023 awards: (FULL LIST OF WINNERS)

• Wrestler of the Year: Will Ospreay

• Most Outstanding: Will Ospreay

• Tag Team of the Year: FTR

• Best on Interviews: Eddie Kingston

• Promotion of the Year: WWE

• Best Weekly TV Show: AEW Dynamite

• Match of the Year: Kenny Omega vs Will Ospreay - Wrestle Kingdom 17

• United States/Canada MVP: Cody Rhodes

• Koichi Yoshizawa Award/Japanese MVP: Will Ospreay

• Mexico MVP: Místico

• Europe MVP: Will Ospreay

• Hodge Award/Non-Heavyweight MVP: El Hijo del Vikingo

• Women's Wrestling MVP: Rhea Ripley

• Best Box Office Draw: Roman Reigns

• Feud of the Year: Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens vs Bloodline

• Most Improved: Julia Hart

• Most Charismatic: MJF

• Bryan Danielson Award/Best Technical Wrestler: Bryan Danielson

• Bruiser Brody Memorial Award/Best Brawler: Jon Moxley

• Best Flying Wrestler: El Hijo del Vikingo

• Most Overrated: SANADA

• Most Underrated: Chad Gable

• Rookie of the Year: Yuma Anzai

• Best Non-Wrestler: Don Callis

• Best Television Announcer: Excalibur

• Worst Television Announcer: Booker T

• Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Revolution

• Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Crown Jewel

• Worst Television Show: NWA Powerrr

• Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE enabling Vince McMahon and him being back in power/TKO keeping him in position of power

• Best Wrestling Maneuver: Will Ospreay's Hidden Blade

• Worst Worked Match of the Year: Bray Wyatt vs LA Knight - Royal Rumble

• Worst Feud of the Year: MJF vs The Devil

• Worst Promotion of the Year: NWA

• Best Booker: Paul Levesque

• Promoter of the Year: Nick Khan

• Best Gimmick: Timeless Toni Storm

• Worst Gimmick: The Devil

• Best Pro Wrestling Book: The Last Real World Champion by Tim Hornbreaker

• Best Pro Wrestling Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring - Chris and Tammy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Promoter of the Year: Nick Khan

"The name on the ballot does say, Khan. However, the ballot reads, Nick Khan."

Val Venus has turned into a complete mental case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,590 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement

Hulk Hogan…

"I had the chance to become like the next John Wayne. There was a guy named Bob Evans who ran Paramount. He took me into his office and there was a big picture on the wall with Clint Eastwood and John Wayne and all the big stars, Dustin Hoffman. Everybody that was part of the contract players for Paramount. He said, 'You're going to be my next John Wayne.' Then he laid out the schedule and what was expected of me, on and off camera. I went, 'Eh, I'm the wrong guy for that stuff.' I just decided to go back to wrestling."

I really think he believes the sh1t he talks it’s some sort of mental illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

what do to mean has ? He’s been **** nuts for a few years.

“What's the line?…Fragile mind. Fragile body. Fragile ego. I think somebody that I know said something like that about him & it rings true.”

— Seth Rollins when asked about his feelings on CM Punk’s injury

(Interview w/Wrestle Radio Australia)

Ole Anderson has died aged 81. RIP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

May he RIP now he had it hard over the last few years.

WWE paid MLW $20m in a settlement for pressuring Vice TV Into not working with MLW and not giving them a tv deal.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

The top selling t-shirts on WWE Shop (Feb 29):

1: CM Punk (BITW)

2: Jey Uso (Yeet)

3: Cody Rhodes (Claim Your Kingdom)

4: Randy Orton (Strike First)

5: Rhea Ripley (Mami On Top)

6: Roman Reigns (Levels Above)

7: Seth Rollins (Visionary)

8: Cody Rhodes (Camo Skull)

9: CM Punk (Return)